Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Average daily calories. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768032-average-daily-calories.html)

Stitch 04-16-2012 01:11 PM

Average daily calories.

I've seen posts about not having your average daily calories too low. The JUDDD calculator gives me 1685 for UD's and 337 for DD's. Say I fast on my DD, my average daily calories would be 842.5. Is that ok or should I eat a little more on my UD?

Beeb 04-16-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 15585270)
I've seen posts about not having your average daily calories too low. The JUDDD calculator gives me 1685 for UD's and 337 for DD's. Say I fast on my DD, my average daily calories would be 842.5. Is that ok or should I eat a little more on my UD?

I would say those calories are too low. Pami found that she was eating too low when she did her fasting on DDs. Instead of upping her UD calories, she just ate a very low DD and it seemed to have made all the difference in the rate of her losses. She seems to lose better (as I did/do) when she ate something on DDs.

Hoping she will check in because I can't seem to find the post/thread about her experience with this. :confused:

Stitch 04-16-2012 01:35 PM

Thanks Beeb. I ask because I haven't really seen a loss in a while, I'm mostly staying a few lbs higher that I was at the end of my first week. Yesterday I fasted for my DD (except for a spoon of castor oil) and the scale was finally down to the weight I'd hit at the end of week 1.

Beeb 04-16-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 15585342)
Thanks Beeb. I ask because I haven't really seen a loss in a while, I'm mostly staying a few lbs higher that I was at the end of my first week. Yesterday I fasted for my DD (except for a spoon of castor oil) and the scale was finally down to the weight I'd hit at the end of week 1.

Did you eat more on your UD then? If so, maybe by upping your calories your body liked the idea and let go of some of the water weight/fat it was holding onto because of fear of not being feed enough. I really believe we can eat too few calories and do just as much harm as eating way too many. It was a big surprise to me when I did research to find out the we need to eat to lose and JUDDD has proved this to me.

Stitch 04-17-2012 02:55 AM

It's hard to count because I had a BIG meal out yesterday but I think I ate over my UD cals by about 200 or 300 hundred calories yesterday and this morning the scale is showing me a couple of different weights (I had to keep stepping on-shocked) but one is the lowest weight I hit at the end of week one (after such a big UD!?) and the other is .5 lb lower than that! I think I will continue like this for a few rotations and see how I do.

Hazelsmrf 04-17-2012 05:38 AM

Sounds like your scale isn't all that accurate either if it's bouncing you around like that, so I honestly wouldn't put much stock into what it's telling you.

nickicaps 04-17-2012 05:50 AM

I eat out a lot, and tend to totally OVERestimate my calories bc I am afraid of the opposite happening.

I would try and add 400 cal to your DD- you can do green juice or smoothies that are easy to digest if you want to "detox" on those days but I think it may definitely help!

Beachgirl6976 04-17-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

This is a great question and I had been wondering the same thing because I had done a full fast a few days ago. I'm curious if anyone who has been on Juddd for a while has experimented with upping their UD calories if their DD cals where too low and what their results were.

I agree that the best thing is to eat the calories given on the calculator for DD's but should we be making sure we hit the daily average for calories?

KeirasMom 04-17-2012 09:24 AM

IMHO, it's more about taking yourself out of the stress response. I would think you would want to keep to your usual UD number whether you hit your DD number or fast completely. I have no scientific basis for this, just my gut feeling. :laugh:

gotsomeold 04-17-2012 10:30 AM

The human body does not work on mathematical averages. Your body does not say, golly we didn't eat much yesterday, guess we can eat more today to make up for it.

The human body works on survival. It says, right now I need this amount of energy to keep this heart beating, these lungs pumping, this brain thinking. If it does not have that amount of energy readily available, it cannibalizes itself to get what it needs. We use the sirtuin enzymes generated on DD to tell the body to use fat for energy and leave muscle alone.

The human body does not recognize yesterday. It exists and fights for survival always in the 'now'. There is no deficit unless you eat super low cal or fast for a long time. (This deficit is commonly referred to as 'starving' and can cause serious physical problems.) We use UDs to ensure that deficit does not happen.

Which means
If you fast on DD and move the calories to UD, your body is going to burn what it needs 'now' and either store or eliminate the rest.

If you have a high/fast metabolism and/or a heck of a lot of sirtuin enzymes then you might be just fine. It really depends on how your body functions. Try it. If you continue to lose pounds/inches then your metabolism can handle it. But if weight/inches lost stalls or begins to creep up, then your metabolism can't handle it and you need to reduce UD calories again.

Some of us use DD/UD calorie averages to keep an eye on caloric trends. I don't - I just post my calories daily and watch them. I promise you, your mind may be great at doing math, but where calories are concerned your body specializes in other subjects.

Jbinme 04-17-2012 10:34 AM

:goodpost:

Stitch 04-17-2012 10:54 AM

Ok, well I guess I'll stick to the UD calories the calculator gives me but try and keep fasting on my DD's. I find it easier to eat nothing at all than eat just a little bit. I was just concerned because I've seen average daily calories mentioned before and people warning against having it too low. Thanks everyone.

vanilla_latte 04-17-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15587458)
IMHO, it's more about taking yourself out of the stress response. I would think you would want to keep to your usual UD number whether you hit your DD number or fast completely. I have no scientific basis for this, just my gut feeling. :laugh:

Good answer, good answer!! :clap: :lol:

Stitch's question got me to wondering, too, about if I eat above what the DD calculator gives me (but only to 500), should I decrease the UD calories by the difference.

I like your answer even though I find, shockingly, I'm having trouble eating up to my UD calories. :stars: :D

myhnabird 04-17-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

1685 UD + 337 DD = 2022 so your average is 1011; but if you want to fast on your DD, then you'd eat the entire 2022 on your UD.

Mary in Northern BC (JUDDD wannabe)

sterlinggirl 04-17-2012 11:39 AM

Now see this is where all this confusses even me,, I have been doing JUDDD for almost 6 weeks now and dont plan to change how i do it,, ( works for me. one pound alsmot every other day or less),, no matter what i eat on a DD .. it is its own day.. reguardless of how many i eat or dont eat,, supposed to consume like 396 but i always to 120.. then when i get to my up day.. its say to eat 2000 cals.. and thats how many i eat reguardless of what i did the day before.. so im confussed what this avarage is all about..:hugs: