Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Free Days (FDs)

I want to suggest and advice those who are just starting out with JUDDD to not do FDs.

I know in the book Dr. Johnson says we don't have to count on UDs BUT many, many of us find that by not counting we are over or under eating. The numbers on the calculator for both days are there to help JUDDD work it's magic and if we stick to these numbers, at least through most of our weight loss journey, we are usually very pleased with the result.

I have been in maintenance for months now but I still count my calories. I tried FDs and found that in the beginning it was fairly easy to keep within my calories for my UDs but as time went on I ate more and more and actually started to gain.

So PLEASE, stick to the JUDDD UD/DD calories for a bit and see what happens. I really believe you will thank yourself (even though it's pain at times) that you counted!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I so agree Linda.

Why give those UD calories on the site if he didn't mean them to be adhered to? Most people here have a poor relationship with food and Free eating means Overeating.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #3

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
And if you DO decide to have a FD anyway, may I suggest you still count all the calories, just so you can see what it really looks like? I know if I did a truly FREE day, I'd consume 2500-3000 calories!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good point Dawn.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
A free day can easily turn into a fat day.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
A free day can easily turn into a fat day.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I generally count Free Days - sometimes I don't - but it is better when I do.

I always count UD and DD - it's a little OCD - but I know what it is going to do for me! It's going to help me shift the next 38lbs and the next 38lbs and the next 38lbs - until I'm at my goal!

If I have to do some counting to get there - I'll count all day long!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #8

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I so agree with this advice. I think the vast majority of us became overweight to whatever degree that was for each of us because of.... Free Days.

I remember working with another JUDDDer here to come up with a schedule that would allow for some relaxation in her maintenance so that she didn't have to feel so-o-o-o focused on the numbers all the time, and would still help to keep a rein on the eating to prevent it from going overboard or even under too far.

So instead of UD/DD/UD/DD/UD/DD we made every other UD into a Free Day. That allowed for a bit of freedom but kept it within limits.

And this person was in maintenance... not still trying to lose weight! Big, important difference there to my way of thinking. And even in maintenance, eating too freely will usually be the undoing of us.

Most folks who've lost weight regain it again. Over and over. Counting UD calories goes a long way in preventing this from happening to us.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I so agree with this advice. I think the vast majority of us became overweight to whatever degree that was for each of us because of.... Free Days.

I remember working with another JUDDDer here to come up with a schedule that would allow for some relaxation in her maintenance so that she didn't have to feel so-o-o-o focused on the numbers all the time, and would still help to keep a rein on the eating to prevent it from going overboard or even under too far.

So instead of UD/DD/UD/DD/UD/DD we made every other UD into a Free Day. That allowed for a bit of freedom but kept it within limits.

And this person was in maintenance... not still trying to lose weight! Big, important difference there to my way of thinking. And even in maintenance, eating too freely will usually be the undoing of us.

Most folks who've lost weight regain it again. Over and over. Counting UD calories goes a long way in preventing this from happening to us.
Ah, so true!!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Yes, I'm learning that counting calories is going to become a part of my daily life. I do feel like it is a bit of a bait and switch though- after reading the book I thought "perfect diet!! I only have to do this every other day" and lo and behold I come here and find out that this isn't the case.

I emailed the Dr J website about it. If I get a reply I will post it here for sure!
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post
Yes, I'm learning that counting calories is going to become a part of my daily life. I do feel like it is a bit of a bait and switch though- after reading the book I thought "perfect diet!! I only have to do this every other day" and lo and behold I come here and find out that this isn't the case.

I emailed the Dr J website about it. If I get a reply I will post it here for sure!
While some can do what is suggested in the book, even Dr. Johnson says that we need to eat "sensibly" on UDs. "Sensibly" to me is eating anything I want, whenever I feel like it, and the problem with this is some days that could be every 1 or so!

Nothing is "truly" free, even FDs on JUDDD. After a bit, if we don't watch, we pay a price for these FREE days.

Just the way it is, I suppose!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aarosali
Stats: 172.4/172.4/150's 5'9"
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 3/25/12
Thanks for this great post! As a newbie, I find this very helpful and a great warning. I'm counting cals on both DD and UDs. It's good to know that I need to keep doing that. And, it's good to know that if a FD happens, I can recover with JUDDD and counting cals.
aarosali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I think, way back in 2003, Dr J did not really understand the complexities of weight. On one hand, he felt we should go through induction by drinking shakes because we would never stick to DD calories if we didn't. On the other hand, he thought appetite suppression and the associated health improvement would lead everyone to naturally eating around their appropriate UD level...and that sirtuin enforced fat-burning would take care of any over-eating. (He also implied he did not expect anyone who was over weight could be doing much exercise).

If you get a reply, I bet he has learned a lot in the last nine years.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I agree that leaving it wide open to eat "normally" will not work with me. I was eating LC for so long I had no idea what normal was with all of the butter, olive oil, cream, cheese, mayonnaise,fatty meat and on and on. I was shocked at how high my calories were and I have had a REAL hard time getting my calories down. I am just now after 3 months getting a rein on the calories. So considering I have lost 18 punds since Jan 8 with too many up up and away days along the way, I think it is a miracle.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I agree that leaving it wide open to eat "normally" will not work with me. I was eating LC for so long I had no idea what normal was with all of the butter, olive oil, cream, cheese, mayonnaise,fatty meat and on and on. I was shocked at how high my calories were and I have had a REAL hard time getting my calories down. I am just now after 3 months getting a rein on the calories. So considering I have lost 18 punds since Jan 8 with too many up up and away days along the way, I think it is a miracle.
So true for me, also...especially note the bold!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote