Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   failed experiment (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768028-failed-experiment.html)

TryingJudd 04-16-2012 01:50 PM

failed experiment

I really wanted to do M,W,F as down days, T, TH as up days, Sat as a mid day and Sun an up day / free day but I gained 4 pounds over the week from my low on Sat!!!

I've only lost 5 total in my 3 weeks on the program. DDs are easy, UDs have been a struggle to control but I just gave back almost all my progress - UGH.

Rings are tight and I feel TOM looming so I am drowning myself in liquids and shooting for a good, low DD in the hope that I really could have retained that much water. Does anyone else jump up that much from water retention over a 2 day period?

GingerAnn 04-16-2012 01:54 PM

I just gained 4 lbs this weekend from water weight.. too much pizza, corned beef, sugar, pasta.. I ate poorly. =) Total fast so far today.. I'm doing something similar to you - M/W/F DDs. T/TR/Sat UDs. Sun MD.

heyjupiter 04-16-2012 01:59 PM

I'm retaining water like crazy as well. Too much junk on my UD, but close to my cals. This is so incredibly uncomfortable. Off to take my Taurune...

Beeb 04-16-2012 02:01 PM

PLEASE, don't do FDs until you are well into this WOE or even until you are in maintenance. I do understand Dr. Johnson says that counting calories is not necessary for UD but many, many of us have found this is just too hard to do without overeating.

Stick with it, count those UD and DD calories and give it a bit more time. Many things make us gain weight and it's usually not fat but water.

:console:

b_lou_who 04-16-2012 02:07 PM

that doesn't mean a thing, you will have to watch your overall loss, say over the whole month. ignore the up bounces, they are scary if you dwell on them, but they don't last.
And I would kill to lose five pounds in three weeks, so don't knock it. For those of us who lose very slowly that would be heaven.

TryingJudd 04-16-2012 02:16 PM

Thanks Beeb. I know, without a doubt that I am overeating on UDs. Even though I count (most days) in ****** and weigh and measure I still go over my targets. DDs - no problem. Once I start eating (especially carbs or sugar) though it seems much harder to keep in that 1800-2000 range. I often go over by just a couple of hundred but that 10% is holding me back. I will give up the idea of FDs for now and maybe try fasting until dinner or just a small afternoon snack so I can eat whatever I want for dinner on UDs. Has that worked for anyone? Any other suggestions?

KeirasMom 04-16-2012 03:11 PM

I often try to have a healthy, lowish calorie breakfast and lunch on UDs so that I can have whatever I want for dinner (within reason). Then, if I don't have enough calories after dinner, I have no problem supplementing with wine/chocolate.

I know some people have had better experiences with spreading their calories out evenly, but this works for me. Sometimes I don't eat breakfast on an UD, then have a light lunch, and then a decadent dinner. I usually only do that if I know I'm going someplace with calorie-dense choices, though.

leonak 04-16-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 15585216)
I really wanted to do M,W,F as down days, T, TH as up days, Sat as a mid day and Sun an up day / free day but I gained 4 pounds over the week from my low on Sat!!!

I've only lost 5 total in my 3 weeks on the program. DDs are easy, UDs have been a struggle to control but I just gave back almost all my progress - UGH.

Rings are tight and I feel TOM looming so I am drowning myself in liquids and shooting for a good, low DD in the hope that I really could have retained that much water. Does anyone else jump up that much from water retention over a 2 day period?

Oh how I wish I lost like you!:) I lose about 2 # a month as you will note below!

:welcome: to Our group of JUDDERS!

:heart::high5::clap:

mykidsteacher 04-16-2012 05:37 PM

Yep, 5 pounds in 3 weeks is nothing to sneeze at! And gaining 4 pounds of water weight when TOM is looming is totally doable. It will come off when it's over, or during for some. But I agree that it's too soon to do FD's.

Did you do at least 2 weeks of the straight UD/DD rotation? Because it really does help to do it by the book for those 2 weeks to get sirtuin enzymes activated and flowing well. A month would be better. But if it's a matter of keeping the schedule or quitting, by all means, keep the schedule. It's just that you lose a DD every 2 weeks that way, and for some, that does slow down the rate of loss.

TryingJudd 04-17-2012 07:54 AM

update - perfect DD yesterday 330 calories and a 3 mile walk and lost one pound of my weekend gain this morning when I weighed. Still feeling bloated and did not run to the bathroom commensurate with the gallons of liquids I consumed yesterday so hoping that kicks in today. Still up 3 pounds from Saturday am weigh in. keepin on truckin....

KathyL 04-17-2012 08:07 AM

I can gain 4-6 pounds in a single day from water retention if I've had sweets. It's miserable. The first DD I generally lose at least half of it. Next UD will usually drop another pound. And then the next DD the rest will go (as long as I've kept to my numbers). I really need to just stay away from sweets. *sigh*

pocahontas 04-17-2012 10:29 AM

Honestly, all bets are off if TOM is looming. Just hang in there and keep plugging along! :)

carla70 04-17-2012 11:52 AM

your doing great, I gained from thurs-monday morning weigh a whopping 5.6 pounds, but by a good DD on monday and lots of water I have already lost 2.8 of it. Mine I can't blame on TOM, I can only blame myself for eating eating eating. But when I took all my weights from last weigh in to this one it was a gain of 2.2, a little better to realize than the 5.6. So I guess I learned that even though its forgiving a day its not as forgiving for 4 days of it. But each day is a new day and just keep doing it. It works!

Scrappy45 04-17-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 15585216)
I really wanted to do M,W,F as down days, T, TH as up days, Sat as a mid day and Sun an up day / free day but I gained 4 pounds over the week from my low on Sat!!! I've only lost 5 total in my 3 weeks on the program. DDs are easy, UDs have been a struggle to control but I just gave back almost all my progress - UGH.

I could've wrote this!! I did the exact same thing for the last two weekends in a row. After Easter weekend I gained 6lbs! It took me all week to drop back down 5 of the 6. Tried to do the MD on Sat and an UD on Sun again this last weekend, same results, only it was 5lbs! I'm back down 3lbs as of this morning, but still have 3 to go to get back down to where I was before I tried my experiment!:doh:
I know, I know-respect the numbers!:p

TryingJudd 04-17-2012 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. It's both heartening and discouraging to know that others can blow up as fast as I can LOL!!! I did do the every other day rotation for almost 3 weeks then ran into some social plans this past weekend where I thought I would try out a MD. I didn't do it well. My MD turned into an UD so maybe that was part of the problem. TOM still hasn't reared so still bloated but having a good (controlled!!) UD today and I hope to be rid of some of this gain by tomorrow or maybe after Wed DD. I was hoping to have a nice net loss for April so will go back to the regular rotation for now and try to get my UDs to remain controlled. Strange - but I am in the camp where DDs don't usually bother me but UDs have been a struggle to not overeat. Good losing all!

Becky 04-18-2012 10:57 AM

I hate to say this but I feel so much better (and not bloated) when not pushing the fluids, I typically drink 60oz of either water, Diet Pepsi, iced tea, or a combo of all plus coffee which I don't count (liquidwise) but 2-4 cups per day depending. If I drink all water I feel bloated and gross...so I don't.

I also gain at least 4 lbs around "that time of the month", but it goes away shortly thereafter.

I thought the M,W,F schedule sounded good too but was talked out of it by several of the ladies on this board and am very glad I was, it doesn't seem to be as doable as the set UD DD UD DD....rince, repeat....

I always track my calories, both UD and DD, I just couldn't do JUDDD without counting, estimating gets me in major trouble!

sterlinggirl 04-18-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 15586889)
update - perfect DD yesterday 330 calories and a 3 mile walk and lost one pound of my weekend gain this morning when I weighed. Still feeling bloated and did not run to the bathroom commensurate with the gallons of liquids I consumed yesterday so hoping that kicks in today. Still up 3 pounds from Saturday am weigh in. keepin on truckin....

:jumpjoy: Im happy that you have lost one of those misarable pounds! Here is just a thought.. On your up days as you say you have trouble with goin over.. try to add more healthy proteins on that day.. it will in turn keep you feeling fuller. IE chiken.. eggs. peanutbutter.. with these included in what you are already eating it just may keep you feeling fuller so you dont go over.:hugs:
Foot note here on the TOM.. When i have mine,, the patten has been for me over past two month that i will lose NOTHING! I fortunatly dont gain though.. but i have to sit at the same weight for over a week and that drove me nuts the first time it happend.. once the second one showed up.. i had an ah ha moment and then i was fine knowing that it will be ok,, and weight loss will continue as soon as that TOM ends :heart: Good job so far girl!!!

Muffabuff 04-18-2012 11:57 PM

This makes me think of that saying " if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Juddd seems to work just fine as is with the UD , DD, rotation. Don't over think it,:stars: keep it as simple as it is and you will lose weight. I personally think that most of us benefit from counting calories on both up and down days. Try this woe as intended and I think you will be happy with the results. Good luck!:shake:

Horsetrainer110 04-19-2012 06:47 AM

I gain about 7-8 lbs on TOM....I get puffy!

The only think I can think of which isn't saying much as I am new at this diet, is that it sounds like you are supposed to be staggering every other day the starvation mode, and then eating to reassure body it's not starving. Maybe your body isn't activating that gene because the DD's aren't every other day....

TryingJudd 04-19-2012 07:31 AM

Hi all - I started on 3.26 and except for last weekend (2 days) have kept a strict UD,DD rotation. Granted my UDs weren't always as low as they should be but they weren't crazy off the charts and more were in range than were not. DDs have all been solid. I haven't been as good with exercise as I should be. In 24 days of dieting I have lost 2 pounds. I would be lying if I said I wasn't discouraged. Not sure it is Judd that is the problem though because I am finding that this perimenopausal body doesn't lose on LC anymore either. I am still pathetically hoping for a whoosh as I wait for TOM to arrive but I could be waiting weeks - no can tell at this stage of the game for me. UGH.

sterlinggirl 04-19-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 15593089)
Hi all - I started on 3.26 and except for last weekend (2 days) have kept a strict UD,DD rotation. Granted my UDs weren't always as low as they should be but they weren't crazy off the charts and more were in range than were not. DDs have all been solid. I haven't been as good with exercise as I should be. In 24 days of dieting I have lost 2 pounds. I would be lying if I said I wasn't discouraged. Not sure it is Judd that is the problem though because I am finding that this perimenopausal body doesn't lose on LC anymore either. I am still pathetically hoping for a whoosh as I wait for TOM to arrive but I could be waiting weeks - no can tell at this stage of the game for me. UGH.

My question to you is this.. Have you been judding for 3 weeks? And if so. one of the most important things i have noticed is to follow the rotation very strickly in those weeks of start.. Also one thing that new folks dont do is eat all of there up day calories.. What ever you number is for lilttle or no exersise is really what you must eat..You mentiond LC... if you had just come off of LC and started to eat carbs with this plan you body may show a bounce also or no loss.. I know we all love that almighty scale.. BUT if you follow the numbers of UD /DD take your measurments.. you will notices those dropping somtimes long before the scale catches up.. Best of luck and if you have questions. Please ask the Experts here on this forum,, i am still new my self.. and have learned lots.. but dont know all !:hugs:

TryingJudd 04-19-2012 08:10 AM

Hi sterlinggirl - yep, been Judding for 3+ weeks and have been eating all my calories. Too many on some UDs but not thousands too many just 200 or 300 over my target and not every UD. This is without factoring in any exercise which I do, but not as much as I could or should. I am not coming off LC since I have given up on dieting for the last 4 months or so prior to trying Judd but have been LC primarily for the last 8 years or so before that. If I believed in the simple calories in and calories out formula there is no way I should not have lost more in this time period and I hoped that Judd would pump up (or repair) my metabolism to get even more results. I weigh my food on a diet scale, measure what I eat and track everything in ******. Except for restaurant meals which can be hard to track I am not deluding myself into thinking I am eating less. When I estimate I estimate high. I *may* be getting a bit tighter. I haven't measured but if I lost inches it is not a lot. Not enough to move me down a size or even a half size in clothes. I REALLY want this to work! So frustrated. I want to be one of those success stories too <sigh>

Muffabuff 04-19-2012 02:17 PM

Tryingjuddd to quote one of our greats " respect your calories"! " just" 200-300 calories over on your up days are more than enough to throw your equation off and keep you from losing weight.what is the point of measuring and weighing everything you eat if you are going to toss it out the window and go over your calories anyway? juddd is all about calories and nothing but calories. It doesn't matter what you eat just how much you eat. Respect your calories and you will lose weight.:doh:

Kissa 04-19-2012 02:42 PM

Trying JUDDD, I feel so bad for you. I can see that you are really doing your best here and are quite naturally feeling frustrated.

Can I ask you to keep on going? It would be wonderful if everyone was a quick loser, and a lot here are, which makes it tough when your body is holding on to the weight.

You are doing everything right, or almost everything and you sound very determined. One thing to remember is that you are only really dieting half of the time. You are clearly very comfortable staying LC so I assume you don't feel deprived in any way by sticking with that?

One of my favourite quotes is 'Keep on keeping on". Most of us have tried so many diets and have messed up our metabolisms so much that it is worth sticking to this to give it the opportunity to heal us.

Sending you my warmest thoughts and just saying, please don't despair. You can do this and in time I am confident that your will have the success you deserve.

sterlinggirl 04-19-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 15593226)
Hi sterlinggirl - yep, been Judding for 3+ weeks and have been eating all my calories. Too many on some UDs but not thousands too many just 200 or 300 over my target and not every UD. This is without factoring in any exercise which I do, but not as much as I could or should. I am not coming off LC since I have given up on dieting for the last 4 months or so prior to trying Judd but have been LC primarily for the last 8 years or so before that. If I believed in the simple calories in and calories out formula there is no way I should not have lost more in this time period and I hoped that Judd would pump up (or repair) my metabolism to get even more results. I weigh my food on a diet scale, measure what I eat and track everything in ******. Except for restaurant meals which can be hard to track I am not deluding myself into thinking I am eating less. When I estimate I estimate high. I *may* be getting a bit tighter. I haven't measured but if I lost inches it is not a lot. Not enough to move me down a size or even a half size in clothes. I REALLY want this to work! So frustrated. I want to be one of those success stories too <sigh>

:console::heart: Well from what i have read in other post. Some lose faster than others.. and i know thats not what ya needed to hear.. BUT if you contiune this rotation.. no free days, no med days,, strait up all UD cal, and no more than 500 on a down day it will kick in! I personally did not like to shoot for 500 that is why i only chose to consume 120.. its actually easier.. but enough about me:hyst: Drink Drink water with some lemon in it, try to avoid some salt items for a few days and see if your sodium sensative. you maybe haning on to a ton of water that needs to be released.. drink more, and try less salt see what that gets you.. We are all unique and what works for one does not work for all.. Every one else here is eating things like icecream and cake,, but not this ole gal.. I made a choice to eat right. and lose my weight slow and healthy.. (i want it to stay off)..Will i ever have cake?? YEs.. on my birthday.. but i chose to only eat healthier stuff and can only speak from whats working for me.. :console: Please ask what ever questions you think might help you.. we are all here for you and want to help you suceed..:heart: Hang in there kiddo..dont give up.. Remeber,, this is not a race its a journey.. so relax and enjoy ! love ya gal!:heart:

TryingJudd 04-19-2012 03:59 PM

Thanks all. I don't intend to give up but your encouragement is very much appreciated - especially when the scale offers no encouragement!! I'm trying to do this by the book and will continue at least for another couple of weeks to see if the magic kicks in for me. I'll watch my UD calories even closer. DDs have not been a problem. The end of April will be my target decision date to see if this works for me. By then I will have almost 5 weeks of data. I don't want to jinx it but I have been running to the bathroom all day so *hopefully* I will have lost at least my weekend gain by tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

TryingJudd 04-20-2012 07:08 AM

update - Had a good and lowish UD yesterday and lost one more pound. Still 2 pounds up from the weekend and my low weight on Judd. So it took breaking the rotation over the weekend with one UD and one FD to gain 4 pounds and 4 days of strict rotation to lose 2 of those 4 so far. Sooooo not worth it. Still no TOM. Will keep on truckin.

Muffabuff 04-20-2012 03:47 PM

The important thing is that when you stick to the rotations you are seeing weight loss, so you are a success already!:jumpjoy: stay on this track and you will be a smaller you before you know it!:jumpjoy:

TryingJudd 04-23-2012 07:38 AM

still sitting at 212. Aaaaaaargh.

Muffabuff 04-23-2012 01:48 PM

Hang in there, it will happen for you.:hugs: