Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Poll- UD Calories

Happy Monday!

So I was just curious- out of the JUDDDERS on this board, who counts UD calories and who doesn't? And what has your experience been? Anyone do both and find one works better than the other?

I'm trying to make this program as easy and simple as possible, and it already is compared to many other diets but unlike a lot of people here, I have never been LC. Therefore, I am not used to "counting" anything really and so this added chore of tracking my calories daily is starting to make me anxious/a little obsessed.

At the same time, I want to maximize my results so if counting UD calories is necessary, I will grudgingly comply
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I don't understand how you could find your "sweet spot" by not knowing your UD calories???

I count every day, because I graph my losses. This way if I ever need to lose again, I can go back to what works.

Last edited by sunday; 04-16-2012 at 06:45 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I count both UD and DD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now, when I arrive at the magical "maintenance stage", I shall not count my cals unless I notice a few pounds start creeping on.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
I count.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I'm figuring this is going to be the majority answer..I guess I was looking for an easy way out (which is probably how I got up a few pounds to begin with!)

Does it get more intuitive to count calories? Part of my problem is that I eat very few packaged foods and often make recipes that don't contain info by way of calories so it's a lot of work for me to figure it all out...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post
I'm figuring this is going to be the majority answer..I guess I was looking for an easy way out (which is probably how I got up a few pounds to begin with!)

Does it get more intuitive to count calories? Part of my problem is that I eat very few packaged foods and often make recipes that don't contain info by way of calories so it's a lot of work for me to figure it all out...
I couldn't do this without ****** at all! Everything is saved in my little journal and then I know when I log on that all I have to do is click and add. Also, if you will add the ap to your Iphone or cell, then when you are away, it is much easier to just log on and add your dinner.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I have to count. When I don't count I don't lose. I'm obviously not very good at the whole intuitive eating thing since my intuition leads me to overeat. So I weigh and log everything now.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I count. And I think I posted almost an identical post to this one when I first started.

Coming from paleo, I counted nothing, so it was a big change for me. But I learned that by not counting anything, I was only eating 1100-1200 calories a day. I had lost well for 5 mos on that, but was stalled big time (no surprise, my metabolism had slowed to a crawl).

I felt like all I ever did was think about FOOD. What I was going to eat, what I just ate, how much it added up to. But it does get more intuitive. I also cook almost everything from scratch. I started out with ******, but switched to ************ and find it MUCH easier to track those homemade recipes. They have a recipe creator where you put in the ingredients and number of servings and it gives you the info you need.

Also, most people tend to eat the same stuff over a 2-3 week period. So once you put that recipe in there, it's there for you to use over and over.

It really does get easier. Hang in there, do the work now, and you'll benefit soon from it.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Sorry if my question was repetitive!

I am going to try ************. I'm sure I will adjust to this, as anything in life. Thanks for all of the responses!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Count for both UD and DD. Not sure how anyone could follow the plan without a very good idea of how many calories are being consumed each and everyday during WLM.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
im sure others will correct me if im wrong, but...
on JUDDD website it says that those eating all they wanted on UDs did in fact gain health benefits but did NOT lose weight. (they did not gain either)

calorie counting would be required
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lily
Stats: 221/215/168
Start Date: June 1 2012
I don't want to count (it's the rebellious child in me, LOL ) but I do.

I think it's worth noting that it's not all about making sure you don't go over your calories too - it's actually surprisingly easy to under-shoot and not eat enough on an UD.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I count!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I count.

Why?

For optimal results, for me, I need to know if I'm hitting my UD and DD calories. After all, eating to these numbers is pretty much how you do JUDDD.

If you're guessing at numbers and eating til satisfaction, you're likely to be under, and not fully pull yourself out of starvation mode, or be over and consuming too many calories. Either of these scenarios can slow losses.

Not to mention the fact that if any of us really knew how to eat normally on an UD and had a general idea of how much to eat to hit these calorie numbers, we wouldn't be here.

I think you'll find that the counters have more consistent losses. That's what I've gathered over the last month.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Like many here, I came from LC to JUDDD, and was used to only counting carbs. Therefore, I also had this big mental switch to counting calories. But you'll be surprised how fast you adapt to it.

Yes, in WLM, I counted calories of both UD and DD . I didn't want to go too low or too high, but wanted the calories to land right in the "sweet spot". I never would have found that spot if I hadn't experimented, using the JUDDD calorie calculator as a jumping off point.

Counting on DDs gets pretty easy because you end up eating from your own list of "go-to" foods so often that you know how many calories are in the foods with a glance. Plus, there is a relatively smaller amount of foods you're eating, so not that many calories to count in the first place, lol.

On maintenance, I do FDs where I don't count my UD calories but just eat as much as I want. Although I do keep a loose mental tally at first just to make sure I'm going to hit the minimum healthy calories for a normal UD. After that I put it out of my mind and just eat and drink.

I still count DD calories in maintenance, loosely.

What Jamie says is true, I think particularly for those of us doing FDs in maintenance. It's how our maintenance functions... we are eating what and when we want but not gaining or losing, yet still getting the health benefits (since we have that DD or period of little food) which by the time you reach maintenance those health benefits are either starting to build up nicely or already have.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-16-2012 at 10:44 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I count. I use ************ and it is second nature now...
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
count, definitely count

when I decide on an UD meal to fix (love to cook), I walk through it in my head and guesstimate the cals. Then check my guess against reality. Like Goldilocks, I am always too high, too low, never too just right.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Counted during weight loss, less often now that I am maintaining.

Please count, you won't regret it.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Piccina
Stats: 130/111/100 (5'2")
Start Date: November 13/2011, restarted Feburary 25/2012
I count because I don't eat enough on my UDs if I don't, and if I don't eat enough on my UD I feel like I'm dying on my down days and can't stick to them as easily.
Piccina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
Quote:

There is no such thing as an easy way out when trying to lose weight, you take the easy way out, you don't lose...

I count DD and UD and will always do it (even after I lose it all), it's too easy to over guesstimate and if given free reign my alotted 1,700 would easily turn into 2,500! I want to get this weight off and keep it off so counting is important, no estimating for me.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I count both. I really love LC food, and it can be high in fat and calories (low in carbs though), so if I didn't count, I think I could pretty easily eat too much on an UD.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Yep another counter here!! I have found if i dont and say the next day try to figure out what i really did eat i was WAY under .. I try to eat every couple of hours now to make certain i have all my caloires in by 630 pm( a time i set for my self) I feel better if im done eating then and not cramming stuff in a the last minute and trying to go to bed soo full,, Most of the things i eat are very low caloire thats why i have to keep track..GOOD Question even if its a repete
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I count both UD and DD...otherwise, I would be all over the highway! I am getting used to my DD foods, cause I basically eat the same 2 or 3 things on DD's, but still, I write it down and keep up. I'm getting old, and don't want to eat something, and forget that I ate it!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
Start Date: Jan 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't count on UD... BUT... I should

I have had good losses not counting but if it slows down I will know why.

The only reason I haven't been counting is pure laziness and the fact that I am a grazer which (for me) makes it a little more difficult to figure calories.
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Hey there Nickicaps! I have always counted . Both UD & DDs. I feel like if I am obsessive about it, that's a good thing, and the pay off is soooo worth it. I just started maintenance and still count. Makes me ac"count"able!! Very best of luck to you!

Phyl
gotitnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Happy Monday!

So I was just curious- out of the JUDDDERS on this board, who counts UD calories and who doesn't? And what has your experience been? Anyone do both and find one works better than the other?

I'm trying to make this program as easy and simple as possible, and it already is compared to many other diets but unlike a lot of people here, I have never been LC. Therefore, I am not used to "counting" anything really and so this added chore of tracking my calories daily is starting to make me anxious/a little obsessed.

At the same time, I want to maximize my results so if counting UD calories is necessary, I will grudgingly comply
I count both DD & UD.

Welcome to our group of JUDDERS.

I also want to suggest you measure yourself! I did not and sure wish I had! Guess it is one of those "do as I say and not as I do things"!!
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of the honest answers and warm welcomes- this is seriously the sweetest group of people

I realized today that like most people, I totally underestimate my calories so YES to every day counting. You are all correct, it is worth it.

I need a tape measure! Great idea :-)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Another counter here - both UDs and DDs. If I didn't count those UDs, I'd go bananas. While I have absolutely ZERO trouble getting in all those calories, I want to make sure I don't go over.

I'm pretty compulsive and if you tell me I can eat whatever I want, well......DANGER WILL ROBINSON! So, yeah, I have to count.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
count - it's depressing - now I know why I am so overweight - even when I thought - 'but I don't eat that much' - I was eating way too high calorie very easily!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote