Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Is this okay for Diabetics?

My husband is diabetic, but for the most part he controls it with Metformin and diet. He isn't on insulin yet. He needs to lose 200# +, would this way of eating be okay for a diabetic? He also eats grain & sugar free already due to other health issues. I so want him to get down to a normal weight, but he doesn't want to give up the 'carby' things like the rice pastas and such.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest a visit to Dr. Richard Bernstein's Diabetic Solution website (he also has a book). Dr. Bernstein, himself a diabetic, provides superb information on controlling blood sugar with diet (and losing weight).

Dr. Johnson, the author of the JUDDD plan, mentions in this book that many diabetics can't handle the low-calorie DDs, but it differs by individual.

I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are Type 2, and I've found Dr. Bernstein to be the 'gold standard' when it comes to information about how to eat as a diabetic.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Dr Bernstein did address meal skipping in the past but it is probably more for those who've just been using sliding scale.

Diabetics can have lows w metformin but since he eats candy his BG may be somewhat high even on meds.

He can give it a try and just keep his meter handy.
I would suspect that if he's that set on eating sugar, he may not be interested in doing any DD's. JUDDD may not interest him at all.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
I am Type 2 Diabetic controlled by diet, exercise and 1 Metformin per day. In the book, Dr. Johnson says:
Type 1 Diabetic - it would be too difficult to maintain glycemic control and he would not recommend JUDDD for Type 1
Type 2 Diabetic - some, especially those whose diabetes is controlled by diet, should have no problem. If you are a Type 2 diabetic and are using drugs such as Metformin....that act by reducing insulin resistance, you should have no low-blood-sugar problem on the DD. If you are taking medications that lower blood sugar by increasing insulin release or are taking insulin itself, you would have difficulty controlling your blood sugar, and he advises you not to do this diet.

Of course, Dr. Johnson further states "before you start this or any diet, however, you should consult the doctor who manages your diabetes."
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
What Tammy said.

We have Type Two diabetics who are thriving on JUDDD. Others tried it and found it was not healthy for them.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Good luck with finding a WOE for your hubby!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
if he has a lot to lose like myself, he might be able to do the 35% scale which will still provide him A LOT of downday calories and i bet he will still lose well. its what i have done
and its been better!
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
.. but since he eats cand...

...I would suspect that if he's that set on eating suar..l.
OP says her husband is eating sugar-free....?

I'm Type 2 and had lots of stomach issues with JUDDD + metformin.

I'm doing it again without met. & feeling much better. Also, I think met. had started making me hungrier; initially it helped me eat less.

I do eat a higher % of cals on DDs--if I need it--to keep BG from getting too low.

I also found Jack Kruse's Leptin Rx plan to be great for my bg; your hubby might do well on that.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I believe he's type 2 (Don't quote me on that) he's not insulin dependant but he is also insulin resistant and has Metabolism X syndrome. He has controlled his Blood Glucose quite well with going grain free & sugar free. We both eat sugar free, he does have sugar free candies and sugar free/low carb icecream, but nothing containing sugar. He is on metformin. He still loves things like Baked Potatoes/Hashbrowns (he's a potato addict if you ask me lol), and the gluten free pastas so I thought this woe might be good for him that way he can have his cake and eat it too :-) I am also insulin resistant/PCOS and Metabolism X, and Carbs no matter how little I eat turn straight into fat LOL! I am Also on Metformin for my PCOS so I can't handle 'low' calorie or I get sick, I have to balance my meals just right, and even then sometimes I still get sick. He doesn't tend to get the nausea as much as I do on it, SO I will talk to him when he gets home on Friday about this WOE, thank you for the great information. He has at least 200-250# to lose to be at a 'good' normal weight for him....maybe even more than that. His Dr keeps pushing weight loss surgery but he is adamant against it.
Short Goal: By 4/4 214.6# 10# in 30 days (Met 3/19 @211.6#)
6 Month Goal: 164# by 37th Bday (9/25)
End Goal: 149 by Dec 31st!

Last edited by cprcheetah; 04-16-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but gluten-free & grain-free are not the same thing. For example, you mentioned rice pasta; that may be gluten-free but rice is still a grain.

Going gluten-free is a big step, though, and I am sure it has made a big difference in your hubby's health!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but gluten-free & grain-free are not the same thing. For example, you mentioned rice pasta; that may be gluten-free but rice is still a grain.

Going gluten-free is a big step, though, and I am sure it has made a big difference in your hubby's health!
No problem, yeah he doesn't eat a ton of rice as he also has chronic inflammation so he only eats limited brown rice (rice is really the ONLY grain he eats). Going gluten free has done wonders for my hubby, he's lost about 100#, he is off of 1 of his blood pressure medicines, he reversed early kidney disease, fatty liver disease and overall in general has more energy. His arthritis isn't as bad either. Also has less tummy troubles....well unless he deals with cross contamination of some sort.....which isn't very fun. His A1C levels have gone down 3 or 4 points so that makes me happy as thats for heart attack risk.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW!!!! Those are amazing improvements!!!

Which just goes to show how very evil gluten is for some people!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Oh, so sorry, I missed that.

Seems like quite a few peop include carbs on DD and are successful.

He has already made amazing changes in his health.

Last edited by jem51; 04-16-2012 at 10:07 PM..
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest a visit to Dr. Richard Bernstein's Diabetic Solution website (he also has a book). Dr. Bernstein, himself a diabetic, provides superb information on controlling blood sugar with diet (and losing weight).

Dr. Johnson, the author of the JUDDD plan, mentions in this book that many diabetics can't handle the low-calorie DDs, but it differs by individual.

I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are Type 2, and I've found Dr. Bernstein to be the 'gold standard' when it comes to information about how to eat as a diabetic.
Leo41 I haven't even read the whole of the thread yet, but I am just so pleased to see you here sharing your wisdom.

Now I will read on.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
WOW!!!! Those are amazing improvements!!!

Which just goes to show how very evil gluten is for some people!!!
Yep, I know it is horrible! It was a nasty cycle for him, the gluten would cause inflammation and the Dr essentially told us it was 'enlarging' his cells and the fat was hanging around because of the process....or something to that effect.....I am quite proud of my husband, and am excited to get him back on the weight loss train....he injured his shoulder a while back so wasn't able to do exercise for a long time....he is still gonna have to be careful as now he's missing part of his collar bone, but he can get back to exercising. I hope to keep both of us on the path, but I really think he would prefer something like JUDDD. I will tell him what I've found when he gets back on Friday.