Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Starting tomorrow! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/767703-starting-tomorrow.html)

amm 04-15-2012 03:15 PM

Starting tomorrow!

My highest weight ever was 400 pounds... I lost 145 pounds between April 2007 and October 2008 through low carb eating and a lot of exercise. Since then, life has thrown some tough things my way and I've been gaining to my current weight. I need to get control!

Tomorrow is my first down day! I am nervous about hunger, but I think I'll be okay if I have lots of low calorie veggies on hand to snack throughout the day. I'm off work this week, so I think being at home will help me get through it.

Does anyone exercise on down days? How do you find the energy to get through your workouts and how do you deal with the post-exercise hunger?

arkie1 04-15-2012 03:21 PM

:welcome: Andrea...you are going to soon discover that you :heart: it here!
Be sure you start your DD from a well fueled UP day. This will help you to stay with it, and be able to stay true to your DD calories. On your UD, be sure to eat all the calories you are allowed. This will make things go alot easier. Any questions, jump right in and ask them. Someone on here will be ready and willing to answer, and help you out!:high5:

Good Luck, and Happy JUDDDing!

The only exercise I get is a little walking around the complex I live in, so will let someone else jump in with the answer about that.

Carole

adillenal 04-15-2012 03:35 PM

Welcome to JUDDD. I recommend protein for your DD's since it will curb your hunger better than veggies. Now that is just what works for me. HB eggs are my DD friends.
You will love it here.

Babsbabs 04-15-2012 03:50 PM

:welcome:Andrea! I know what you mean about being nervous about hunger on the DD. I was really scared that I was planning a day that I would be eating so little on, but it was way easier than I had thought! I think vegetables (I like to feel like I am eating more) coffee and tea keep me happy on DD and I plan out my UD food:) A lot of people recommend protein and fat for hunger control but for me I think I just like to have more to chew on. I am sure you will find out what works for you. I didn't exercise for the first couple of weeks on the DD but I have started and I find I have more energy on the DD than the UD. I do get hungry about 4 hours after I exercise but I have been just having some tea and some veggies and the hunger goes away quickly. I am new to JUDDD so I am sure other here will have lots of great advice, :welcome:

amm 04-15-2012 04:07 PM

I do know from my lowcarb days that far and protein does curb hunger... but I think I experience more "head hunger" than anything else and lots of small snacks will help me get through that at first. I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice!

SoHappy 04-15-2012 04:33 PM

Welcome, and glad you're joining us! You'll get the hang of it real fast, and my best suggestion is to read, read, read the posts here because you never know when the conversation in one of those posts is going to really speak to you!

This plan is so simple. All you have to do is respect your given Up and Down Day calorie numbers. And that's about it. Do that, and get skinny!

:laugh:

:welcome:

krow134 04-15-2012 04:36 PM

The first few DD's were hard for me. But then they became so much easier. My suggestion to you would be put off eating til as late as possible if you chose to eat your DD calories. Eating to early will kick off wanting more!!! Good luck and welcome!!!!!!!!

AsmallerME 04-15-2012 04:53 PM

Andrea!! So happy to see you posting! I don't exercise yet, but I could on DDs. After the first three, my energy on DDs got and stays (for the most part) high. I feel really calm and peaceful on DDs, but still energetic.

gotsomeold 04-15-2012 04:55 PM

:welcome: Andrea!

Once that ol' JUDDD magic kicks in, you get your energy from the magic (sirtuin enzymes). Did you ever experience high energy/euphoria when in ketosis? Basically the two are very closely related.

As you start, do not (repeat do not) panic if you find you need to exceed your calculated DD calories. Many of us do (I speak from experience here). Just keep calories low then, as you learn what you need to feel satisfied on DD and as the magic builds up within you, you will be able to eat fewer and fewer calories each DD. The sirtuin enzymes happen when you are in caloric deficit. Just keep those calories down and you are on your way!!!

Gweebles 04-15-2012 05:08 PM

:welcome:

I am so happy to see more people here who aren't here just to lose the last 5 pounds. :shake:

KeirasMom 04-15-2012 05:22 PM

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Showcats 04-15-2012 05:26 PM

:welcome:I started JUDDD two weeks ago and actually exercise more on DD than UD. When I first started I was concerned that I wouldn't have enough energy to exercise or would have a headache on DD. That hasn't been the case and I have exercised on every DD except the first one. Good luck and welcome! You will find here that everyone is very supportive and very helpful.

northandcold23 04-15-2012 06:16 PM

Good Luck Amm, I thought I would have issues working out on down days, but I seem to be pretty well fueled in the morning when I work after an UD. Many evenings I also take a walk in the evening, after a DD dinner.

Muffabuff 04-15-2012 06:42 PM

I have been keeping my workouts for up days but I suppose if you are feeling energetic on a down day, there's no reason to skip excercise. If excercise increases your appetite that would be a good reason not to do it on your down day. The good news is, the choice is yours. Do whatever works best for you. I try not to eat anything until after 4 pm on DD because I know I'm going to want those calories in the evening. I know if I use them all up early in the day I will regret it. If you find you need a few extra calories over the 500 let yourself have them, you need to be kind to yourself. Good luck

sophiethecat 04-15-2012 06:45 PM

:welcome: to JUDDD, Andrea! :shake:

heyjupiter 04-15-2012 06:53 PM

Welcome!!!

And, I agree with Carole. START with a UD. You're gonna need this extra nutrition to push thru your first DD. Starting with a DD will only make it even more miserable!

theredhead 04-15-2012 06:57 PM

Welcome! We're always happy to have another JUDDD BUDDD!

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Sheridan 04-15-2012 08:16 PM

:welcome: :welcome:

I'm looking forward to watching your successful journey! :hugs:

mykidsteacher 04-16-2012 07:34 AM

Welcome! Be sure to check in often and let us know how it's going or if you are having any struggles so we can help you through them.

OhioGuy 04-16-2012 09:54 AM

i have more energy on my DDs because you've fueled up on your UD.
i like to get the exercise in early on my DD
and even before i eat on my UD knowing when im done its time to eat.
a lot of times after eating you dont feel like it.

sterlinggirl 04-16-2012 10:03 AM

:welcome: So glad your hear with us! :heart:

AsmallerME 04-16-2012 11:02 AM

How's it going today? I wanted to echo what other people said about not feeling badly if you go above 500 calories. It seems many people here start with 1000 calorie down days and then gradually reduce them each DD. So if you can't do 500, don't throw in the JUDDD towel. Keep trying. Eventually your appetite will reduce.

amm 04-16-2012 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone! My first DD is going well. I have some hunger, but it's nothing that can't be managed. My calories for the day will be around 750 when dinner's done.