Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Beef Wellington w/pate in Puff Pastry (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/767672-beef-wellington-w-pate-puff-pastry.html)

SoHappy 04-15-2012 10:03 AM

Beef Wellington w/pate in Puff Pastry
 
Does anybody make this? I love Beef Wellington done with the liver pate, all inside wonderful buttery-flaky puff pastry, but I've never made it myself.

Is it awfully hard, or not so much. Thinking of making this for us and having a couple of good friends over once I'm back home and things have settled down again. What wine? A red that isn't HEAVY. Suggestions?

I love Up Day menus. :laugh:

mattsmama 04-15-2012 10:25 AM

Hey Pat!! Here ya go!

Beef Wellington Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And to pair? Definitely a deep red, why not a cabernet sauvignon?

Hatewashingup 04-15-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15581873)
Does anybody make this? I love Beef Wellington done with the liver pate, all inside wonderful buttery-flaky puff pastry, but I've never made it myself.

Is it awfully hard, or not so much. Thinking of making this for us and having a couple of good friends over once I'm back home and things have settled down again. What wine? A red that isn't HEAVY. Suggestions?

I love Up Day menus. :laugh:

I can't comment on the wellington, as I don't eat meat, but as for WINE ;) If you want a red that isn't too heavy, a malbec, carmerne, or pinot noir would fit the bill. Have fun!

Dottie 04-15-2012 10:29 AM

I think whoever made wine "rules" was nutty.
Drink what you like with what you like :)

mattsmama 04-15-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15581908)
I think whoever made wine "rules" was nutty.
Drink what you like with what you like :)

You are SO right, Dottie!!:hyst:
By the second glass, who gives a crap, anyway? :sing::p:D:yummy:

SoHappy 04-15-2012 10:46 AM

Heh! I do drink whatever I want and pair however I want when it comes to wines. LOL I was asking more for your recommendations about brands of reds that you enjoy... the names of the individual reds that you like, rather than the types or varietals. What names in pinots or cabs do you enjoy the most?

Lisa, I did look at that exact Beef Wellington recipe at Allrecipes. :laugh: It reads good. I'm just wondering whether anyone else makes this delight. And how long it really takes to make it. Of course, I could always make it as a trial run once, before having the get-together. :p

Dottie 04-15-2012 12:04 PM

If you make the mushroom duxelles ahead of time, it really takes no time at all.
I didn't look at the recipe linked but my experience is:
I have found that the pastry gets soggy on bottom if you try to cook the meat inside it.
My method (and I use store-bought lol) is to cook the meat to rare then let it come down to room temp.
Spread the room temp duxelles (or pate if you're using that) onto the pastry, then the meat, then wrap and bake just until the pastry is cooked and the meat medium rare (about 20 minutes).
I haven't made it in years lol. But it's not really time consuming as long as you prep ahead:)

SoHappy 04-15-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15582084)
If you make the mushroom duxelles ahead of time, it really takes no time at all.
I didn't look at the recipe linked but my experience is:
I have found that the pastry gets soggy on bottom if you try to cook the meat inside it.
My method (and I use store-bought lol) is to cook the meat to rare then let it come down to room temp.
Spread the room temp duxelles (or pate if you're using that) onto the pastry, then the meat, then wrap and bake just until the pastry is cooked and the meat medium rare (about 20 minutes).
I haven't made it in years lol. But it's not really time consuming as long as you prep ahead:)

OK, thanks for those good pointers, Dottie. I don't usually make heavier things in the summer, but I've been having this pop into my head recently.

Kissa 04-15-2012 02:19 PM

My favourite, thanks for reminding me. I love my beef very rare so it is a bit of a challenge, I have to get the pastry vey thin and the oven very hot.

MintQ8 04-15-2012 10:00 PM

Also, isn't there supposed to be a 'pancake' between the wet and the pastry - stops the pastry becoming soggy.

I love it!!!

Horsetrainer110 04-16-2012 04:56 AM

I love Beef Wellington!!!

I made it once and then fed it to my dogs, and went out for dinner. Mine was abysmal....good luck with yours!

Dottie 04-16-2012 05:01 AM

Vicky if you have the "fillers" at room temp it's not as much an issue. If they're cold (causes condensation) or hot (melts the butter in the pastry) you get soggy.

MintQ8 04-16-2012 05:10 AM

ah - I don't do the cooking in my house - and don't imagine I'll ever get DH to make me a Beef Wellington - but I'll remember that just in case, I get a sudden urge!!

I am so undomesticated!! LOL!

b_lou_who 04-16-2012 08:38 AM

http://www.tru-burn.com/Recipes/CI/BeefWellington.pdf

impossible to mess this one up! so good, it is time consuming, but so what?

or try this (I haven't yet):
Quick Beef Wellington | The Feed

Quick Beef Wellington
Serves 4

10 ounces cremini mushrooms, broken into rough pieces
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons sherry Salt and pepper
2 (9˝ by 9-inch) sheets puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
6 ounces smooth pâté, mashed slightly with fork
˝ pound deli-sliced roast beef
1 large egg, beaten

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Pulse mushrooms in food processor until fine, about 10 pulses. Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook shallot until soft, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook until lightly golden, about 8 minutes. Add sherry and cook until dry, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold 1 sheet of pastry onto lightly floured work surface. Using rolling pin, roll sheet out to 13 by 11-inch rectangle and place on prepared baking sheet.

3. Using rubber spatula, spread pâté over puff pastry sheet, leaving 1-inch border on all sides. Top pâté with mushroom mixture, followed by roast beef. Brush border with some of egg.

4. Roll remaining sheet of puff pastry to 13 by 11-inch rectangle and place on top. Using tines of fork, seal edges and prick top of pastry. Brush with remaining egg. Bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and cut into 8 squares. Serve.

sorenkkg 04-16-2012 04:22 PM

I made it for the first time at New Years (just me and DH)-- we'd seen it on TV over the holidays, and I said, oh, I could do that.

store bought pastry, and foie gras pate. I did the duxelles (that did take a while), and I believe the whole recipe I used was from epicurious (love their site).
Fillet of Beef Wellington Recipe at Epicurious.com

I didn't do the larding fat, and it was fine. :)

Soren

MintQ8 04-16-2012 04:37 PM

can't buy foie gras here in Australia :(

KeirasMom 04-16-2012 04:46 PM

Can't get foie gras here either. It can be shipped, but who wants mailed liver? :sick:

MintQ8 04-16-2012 04:50 PM

That gave me a good laugh!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 AM.