Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Low Cal - Fat Free food

It looks like a lot of you still eat "diet" food on up days.

Low calorie - fat free. Am I reading this right?
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
I eat whatever's convenient or sounds good. Sometimes that's low calorie, sometimes not. I eat out more than most though, so I'm probably not the most shining example! I try to supplement with lots of good veggies so even if I get a lot of junk, I still get good nutritious food too.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

Gallery: pocahontas
I dont eat anything low cal or fat free except the frozen meals I get from Trader Joe's that make my DD's so much easier. I dont like the added sugar or ingredients that I cant pronounce in the low fat items. A smaller portion of the real thing is more my style.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
UD or DD, I eat full-fat, sugar if it belongs there, real foods. On DD I just eat much smaller portions.

We are all so different. I encourage you to experiment and find what really works best for you.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I do not consciously look for lowfat. I eat fullfat Dannon yogurt on UD's and to be honest the only LF thing I have on hand right now is LF mayonnaise. I am centered on calories rather than anything else. If I use fullfat, I just use less for most things. I use egg whites for cooking some things for DD but eat whole eggs for the most part.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Only somethings do I go low cal for. Like yogurt, I love the light yogurts. But like salad dressing, I can handle light italian but I eat regular ranch.....I hate light ranch!!! Ekkkkkk!!!!!

I did switch to lite wheat bread. 2 slices for 70 calories compared to 1 slice for 70 calories....I just like it better. I am a butter bread addict! It allows me to still have it with out taking away from something else. I also got hooked on those 100cal packs of snacks. I love the convience of them. I can throw one in my purse and go! And not have to sit and count out things. I know what I had on a busy day!

But for the most part, I really dont eat alot of "diet" foods.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I don't eat low cal foods on my up days, other than maybe crispy minis, which are only low cal when compared to potato chips... but I actually found that they give me a bigger bang for the calories On down days though, at first I was eating whatever, and I found a really good veggie soup that is only 40 cals per cup and that was great. But more and more I think I'll be following the rules of Lyle McDonalds rapid fat loss plan on down days since for me that's about 500 cals. It's basically eating a certain amount of protein to spare lean body mass, and as little fat as possible, and low cal veggies. So for me that will be lean chicken breast, egg whites, fat free dairy.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I have only a few things that I choose specifically for DD consumption that are fat free or low fat versions of higher fat products.

I use Kraft fat free Miracle Whip instead of the regular Miracle Whip product, but I use this on any day I want that product taste, because I don't like the full fat version.

I use Laughing Cow lite cheese wedges on my Down Days only, rather than any of the other many, many cheeses I love, which are all the normal full fat cheeses that are.. cheese. I eat a lot of cheese on my UDs. I love it!

On low carb I had to seek out sugar free versions of many, many foods, and I still use a couple of those on my JUDDD Down Days. That is Walden Farms sugar free Pancake Syrup, 0 calories and using Splenda, and the DaVinci sugar free flavored syrups occasionally, and a very, very few of the artifically flavored, Splenda sweetened beverages.

The majority of the food I eat on any day, whether Up or Down, is just real food. Basically, it's allowed to have whatever fat content it comes with, or whatever sugar content it comes with.

So other than those two FF items, I can't think of any others that I use. Oh, other than little 80-calorie fruit yogurt cups that are sweetened with Splenda, but I have no idea about their fat level. Probably low fat, but I choose them because I like their taste the best. But then, that reminds me that I also buy Kraft fat free Italian Dressing because I like that taste the best too. It sits in the refrig right alongside all the full fat ranch and blue cheese dressings, all chosen because I like their flavors the best too.

I guess I just buy whatever I like the taste of the best for the most part. There are just very, very few of the *substitute* products that I ever thought were very good, and I had to do far too much of that when I did low carb! No more. The few alternate versions of stuff that I do eat, I like. I'm too old not to like what I'm eating!

Last edited by SoHappy; 04-15-2012 at 09:49 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I eat whatever's convenient or sounds good. Sometimes that's low calorie, sometimes not. I eat out more than most though, so I'm probably not the most shining example! I try to supplement with lots of good veggies so even if I get a lot of junk, I still get good nutritious food too.
Same here, if it looks good and fits into my 1,700 for the UD, I'll munch on it! I'm actually craving mostly pretty healthy food lately with the occasional cookie dough full fat ice cream thrown in for good measure. In general I despise low fat (diet food), which is why I hated Weight Watchers.
Becky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I prefer: joaeph's low-carb pitas and lavash; Ken's steakhouse light northern italian; boars head light sharp cheddar over their higher calorie options, so I use them on UD and DD.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Oh I also like the Wishbone spray Italian dressing and I don't worry about what "day" it is if I want it
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I prefer: joaeph's low-carb pitas and lavash; I use them on UD and DD.
ME TOO! I LC'ed so long, white bread just doesn't taste right to me. I don't actively hunt LF Diet foods on UD, in fact last night my daughter and I put away 2 dozen wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. I always get the garlic parmesan but they are in NO WAY low fat.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Nope - the only things I can think of that are low cal - are ice-creams - I like them and have them once in a blue moon, and some low fat dijonnaise - that's how it comes - there isn't a full fat version.

I use butter - soy and linseed bread - which is healthy -but quite high cal - and then whatever I like!

By choice I drink skimmed milk and diet coke - it's a taste thing!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Any "goodies" are low fat or low cal, like Skinny Cow ice cream and candies. I have a HORRIBLE sweet tooth, so even on UDs, I don't want to eat "real" ice cream and such. The lower cal versions taste great!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
Any "goodies" are low fat or low cal, like Skinny Cow ice cream and candies. I have a HORRIBLE sweet tooth, so even on UDs, I don't want to eat "real" ice cream and such. The lower cal versions taste great!
Threadjack... Are skinny cow goodies REALLY lower cal, ounce per ounce? Cuz I bought a candybar once and I couldve sworn the ONLY thing "skinny" about it was it's size. I rather just buy a regular candy bar and only eat a third! I'd save a lot of money as well.

But, OP, I don't seek out "diet" food per se, other than my lean cuisines. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes some of them. I do buy lower fat versions of certain products in which there isn't a discernible difference between the regular and low fat versions b/c I figure saving a few calories here and there can add up. I do NOT buy low fat foods which have tons of chemical crap to make up for the lack of fat.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
I just eat what I want and what is within my calories for the day. If something is low cal and taste good I will add that to the list of veggie/fruits/lean meats on my DDs but only if it a tasty choice. I don't consciously eat low cal or fat free, but do look for the most bang for my calories on DDs!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I eat mostly whole real foods so it has whatever fat it has. I have allergies to eggs and dairy, as well as garlic, sunflower and cashews, so most commercial condiments are out as well.

I found artificial sweeteners create cravings and hunger, so I stick to Stevia and coconut sugar to make stuff sweet.

I also opt for coconut oil and almond or peanut butter to help up my calories on UD's since I have a hard time getting them all in otherwise.

I think, in general, the longer a person is on JUDDD, the healthier their food choices become in general. Yes, we all indulge in goodies--but the general rule seems to find us reaching for the good stuff more often. Not sure why that happens, but I've seen it over and over.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post

I think, in general, the longer a person is on JUDDD, the healthier their food choices become in general. Yes, we all indulge in goodies--but the general rule seems to find us reaching for the good stuff more often. Not sure why that happens, but I've seen it over and over.
I really didn't believe this since I wasn't gravitating toward healthier choices until last weekend. Suddenly my hunger went away and i want good stuff. There are brownies in the breakroom and I just looked at them and kept going. I honestly do not want a brownie. I NEVER thought that would ever happen to me. So three months and it is finally happening.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
^^^
excellent!

I eat real food all the time, full fat or what have you on Up Days, low or non on Down Days but I don't LIKE it. Love the good stuff baby! Healthy whole real food is your friend
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Agree with the majority of posters who talk about real food. I also come from LC, so I'm still doing that, and when I bought a few low-fat things, they are LC also (like the walden farms salad dressing-- fat free and sugar free). I got 1/2 fat hellmans, but I don't want a bunch of frankenfoods, so I go with lean protein and veggies on my DDs, and my regular full fat, meat and veggies on my UDs.

I do buy some LC breads etc, but I don't eat them super often, and DH is LC also, so that's a better choice for both of us when we do have bread in the house.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
OHH no I love BUTTER yumm and Chesses.. We dont chose the low fat version of anything! LOL.. If it looks good EAT IT is my saying.( on an up day of course)
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
UD or DD, I eat full-fat, sugar if it belongs there, real foods. On DD I just eat much smaller portions.

We are all so different. I encourage you to experiment and find what really works best for you.
What Nancy said! I'm staying pretty much low carb, so it's full fat for me whether an UD or DD.

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 04-16-2012 at 01:58 PM..
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #23

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am eating all the great foods on the planet High and Low carb. But it is very, very rare for me to eat anything that has been made "low fat". I don't see the point.

Even on a DD I would rather use something like real Caesar dressing than the low fat option. I might thin it a little with some vinegar but the low fat versions don't 'feel right' to me.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote