Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Don't know if I can Juddd without a kitchen. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/767656-dont-know-if-i-can-juddd-without-kitchen.html)

Sammyann 04-15-2012 04:00 AM

Don't know if I can Juddd without a kitchen.

My dh and I are remodeling our kitchen. We started ripping it out yesterday. I知 going to be without a kitchen for a long time. I知 really worried I知 going to gain back all the weight I lost. We値l be eating a lot of convenience food and take out. I didn稚 even have time to track calories yesterday and might not for a while. I知 also worried I won稚 be able to do everything I need to get down on a down day without eating more. I知 already so sore and exhausted and it痴 only going to get worse for a while.

Sorry I知 sounding so whiney.

MintQ8 04-15-2012 04:29 AM

okay - time to plan!!!

Find out the calorie counts of all the convenience foods that you think will be good for a DD.

ie - cooked chicken breasts, ham slices, pre-boiled eggs (or maybe a neighbour can boil some eggs for you) - are you going to have a fridge of any sort - for milk?

Dawn is the queen of fast food places (sorry, Dawn, but you are!! :) ) - I'm sure I saw a list on here - of things that were convenient and low cal.

Top of my head:
Sliced ham
Pickled Onions
Gherkins
Cup-a soups
Broths
rice crackers and a low cal spread (I like marmite - but perhaps there's something similar in the US that you like)
Light Babybel cheeses

I'm not sure of what your daily DD eating pattern is like - but if you can hold off eating till the evening - then you'll be able to have picked something up that is calorie counted.

Remember it is only every other day - you can do this!

KeirasMom 04-15-2012 05:05 AM

I'll gladly claim that title, Vicky. :D

I have a fully functioning kitchen, but rarely use it. :hyst: If you need quick and convenient, I do Wendy's (small chili is 210 calories) or Subway (any sub can be made into a salad--I get the black forest ham and swiss with all the veggies they have and just vinegar as dressing for 150 calories).

A lot of restaurants now have lower calorie menu options. A little research can go a long way. I just went to Red Lobster last night and had their broiled seafood platter with broccoli for 345 calories total. (It was an UD, so I also had a biscuit, and my salad was 90 calories).

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have a good selection of frozen meals. Someone just posted a thread yesterday about them. If you have access to a fridge and microwave, that could be a real help.

It's not ideal, but it can be done if you really want it badly enough. Good luck!

bevonjuddd 04-15-2012 06:14 AM

What about stocking a few meal replacement bars or shakes?

OK, I know a lot of people don't like to use them, but I find them very useful for DDs when I don't have much time or I haven't planned very well and they help me not think about food too much. :)

gardengoddess 04-15-2012 06:27 AM

I may be odd, but I really like Lean Cuisine type meals. They usually range from 200 - 300 calories.

Hazelsmrf 04-15-2012 06:31 AM

It should not be too bad! You're ripping out your kitchen but can/did you plug in your microwave elsewhere in the house? There's a lot you can do with a microwave. Or a crock pot! You could make pretty much anything with a crock pot and not even need an oven. Do you still have access to a fridge?

And not having time to count your calories, I don't believe you can't find 3 minutes in your day to keep a quick running tab on what you're eating, all you need is to keep a pad and paper next to you and jot down what you're eating, you can do it while your food is heating up in the microwave even. Even if you aren't certain exactly what the calories are on your take out meal, write down what you're eating and be accountable for it. Maybe when you have more time you can go back and make a more accurate calorie estimate for that meal and then you'll know in the future and won't need to redo that.

SoHappy 04-15-2012 06:59 AM

I'm excited to read that you are getting a new kitchen! Woo Hoo! :kicking: I would be excited to just be getting new countertop in this home. :laugh:

As already mentioned, there is no reason why you can't continue JUDDD without having access to a kitchen. Even convenience foods and carry out comes in a wide calorie range. It's just up to us to take advantage of the availability of low calorie choices. Good luck.

I do think this subject is a good example of the need for us to place a very, very high priority on what we feed ourselves. If we, ourselves, are not a top priority in our lives, it's all too easy to start stuffing in foods that are quick and easy (and high cal), and contribute only to what we were, not to what we want to become. But there are quick and easy choices that are good for us too, so this thread is going to reinforce this thought for me also, since I'm going to be away from home for three weeks and tempted to grab fast high calorie when I should remember to focus on fast low calorie.

Thanks for starting this thread. Important subject.

krow134 04-15-2012 07:19 AM

You know what I did with fast food calorie counts.

I sat here one day at the pc, I looked up every fast food place I have been known to eat at and on an index card, wrote what I normally get and the calorie counts and even added a few lower calorie options for DD's. I laminated them and carry them in my purse. I was planning because of softball travel league my daughter plays on, and its getting to that time where our weekends are spent traveling all over the tri-state. I was preparing for me, but maybe that would help for you!!! I know you can buy calorie counters. But I had looking through hundreds of items I dont eat to find what I do! I just made it easier to find!

Kissa 04-15-2012 02:26 PM

Love our JUDDD BUDDDs, you have no excuses now, lol.

SoHappy 04-15-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 15582408)
Love our JUDDD BUDDDs, you have no excuses now, lol.

We held her nose to the JUDDD grindstone, didn't we! :laugh:

gotsomeold 04-15-2012 05:00 PM

Just keep thinking of yourself slim and healthy in that glorious new kitchen!!!! :hugs: You can do it!

Beeb 04-15-2012 08:43 PM

Don't look for excuses to go off plan!! :down: Plan ahead, eat cold items, get take out salads on DDs, etc.

Being without a kitchen is not fun, but being on JUDDD makes it very doable until you have it back together. Microwave, grill, toaster oven, etc will help to make meals that you can eat on either day. :up::clap:

adillenal 04-16-2012 07:40 AM

I can survive quite well with a frig, a microwave and a hot plate. You can do this.

OhioGuy 04-16-2012 11:18 AM

on lc i cooked every single day for both lunch and supper. since i went juddd i havent cooked ONCE lol

b_lou_who 04-16-2012 11:35 AM

crockpot! you can run it in any room, lots of people take one to hotel rooms when they travel, so you know you could do this at home.
oatmeal overnight, simple stews or casseroles or hot sandwich fillings, easy prep and clean up!