Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Horsetrainer110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on the back of a horse
Posts: 5,028
Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
I'm trying a modified fast today

Modified as in I'm having coffee with cream, but that's it. So 2 cups of coffee this morning with 1 tablespoon of cream, 50 cal each. If I am ravenous at lunch I'll have another cup. I haven't even researched fasting or benefits, but I've gleaned a little from a couple of threads posted on here.....I'll try anything once!
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
JanetTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: middle TN
Posts: 139
Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
After watching some of the videos posted on here about IF i started fasting from after dinner on my UD to dinner on my DD. So I basically do a 24 hour fast and keep within my DD calories when I eat. During my fast I only drink black coffee, water and the occasional diet drink. There are some great health benefits to IF. It gets easier the more you do it. I think the videos posted on here came from youtube. Some very interesting info

I know this may sound silly but the thing that keeps me going during my fast is that I keep telling myself that I am doing this for my health not just to lose weight. As bad as I want to be thinner, I want to be healthier even more. I have watched my parents suffer through heart disease, stroke, cancer, years of HBP problems etc. I want to do anything I can to not set myself up for that
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Horsetrainer110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on the back of a horse
Posts: 5,028
Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Janet...I'm with you on the health thing. My mother passed away last year from cancer, and I was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was 27....it is hereditary. My grandfather passed away from it, my dad said he was diagnosed in his 20's etc... I've been on meds for it for years.

Side note....I live in Middle TN too!
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
JanetTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: middle TN
Posts: 139
Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my dad to cancer last year too. You really need to try to find those videos. They really made an impression on me. I hope someone here reads this and could maybe post the link to them. I'm not sure I could find them.

I'm in McMinnville...where are you?
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
krow134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 1,504
Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Here is a thread on the fasting part of JUDDD. Some one posted a video on there too!!!

24hrs long enough for sirt1 by eating once a day?
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
JanetTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: middle TN
Posts: 139
Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
The videos I watched were a series of 3 talking about IF. I haven't seen the one you posted but want to watch it. Thanks Tanya
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Showcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cicero Indiana
Posts: 166
Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsetrainer110 View Post
Modified as in I'm having coffee with cream, but that's it. So 2 cups of coffee this morning with 1 tablespoon of cream, 50 cal each. If I am ravenous at lunch I'll have another cup. I haven't even researched fasting or benefits, but I've gleaned a little from a couple of threads posted on here.....I'll try anything once!
I am doing the exact same thing today for the first time. Drinking my first cup of coffee with 1 TB creamer (35 calories) now.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
gotsomeold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Asheville, NC / Marietta, Ga
Posts: 3,853
Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Speaking as someone who regularly goes until dinner on just 100 cal of coffee DD and UD....the first few times it is a good idea to have an exit plan in the form of low cal food you can gobble if you need to. With practice semi-fasting gets very easy. And very pleasant because you just don't have to even think about food.

And, there is nothing silly about fasting for health! Many of us came to one woe or the other because we saw we were damaging ourselves eating the SAD.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
tiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UP, Michigan
Posts: 2,934
Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Good luck! I intermittent fast every day, and here are some tips that helped me when I started:
-Be careful with electrolytes. The zonkiness you feel can actually involve too much water to too few essential salts (especially potassium). I add 2 T lemon juice (high in potassium) and a few grinds of sea salt to a couple glasses of water to prevent this. ACV is also a good source of potassium (always dilute anything acidic very well to protect teeth enamel). Or else I just take a couple of my cycling electrolyte pills. Low sodium V-8 juice is also well balanced in electrolytes.
-I drink a fair bit of high quality chicken stock, again for the electrolytes, if I'm feeling woozy.
-If I'm planning on an intensive bout of exercise, I eat a tablespoon of coconut oil first (often mixed with a drop of splenda and a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa). I'll add a T of whey protein powder if I'm going for a long bike ride, so I don't bonk. This isn't fasting, exactly, but coconut oil MCTs are metabolized so differently than other foods that a lot of IF feel that they're just fine while fasting.
It took my body a couple weeks to really adjust.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetTN View Post
After watching some of the videos posted on here about IF i started fasting from after dinner on my UD to dinner on my DD. So I basically do a 24 hour fast and keep within my DD calories when I eat. During my fast I only drink black coffee, water and the occasional diet drink. There are some great health benefits to IF. It gets easier the more you do it. I think the videos posted on here came from youtube. Some very interesting info

I know this may sound silly but the thing that keeps me going during my fast is that I keep telling myself that I am doing this for my health not just to lose weight. As bad as I want to be thinner, I want to be healthier even more. I have watched my parents suffer through heart disease, stroke, cancer, years of HBP problems etc. I want to do anything I can to not set myself up for that

Actually, if your DD calories are very low, they are hardly counting as a *blip* in your fasted state. Apparently, our bodies don't stop all the good work that's going on from fasting just from the very few calories we eat on a DD, so you're really allowing your body to benefit from even more hours than just that 24 hour period.

Since your DD calories are so few and don't really count as much of a break in your fast, your fast is effectively continuing on through your DD supper and on through that whole night until you first really begin to eat on your following UD. That's the day that you really *stock up* on lots of food and calories and make a good break in your fasting.

If you really follow JUDDD and do your low calories on your DDs, your *effective* fasting period is more in the range of 36 hours! And a whole lot of good repair and healing can be going on inside you from that.
__________________
Best wishes, Pat
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Horsetrainer110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on the back of a horse
Posts: 5,028
Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Good luck! I intermittent fast every day, and here are some tips that helped me when I started:
-Be careful with electrolytes. The zonkiness you feel can actually involve too much water to too few essential salts (especially potassium). I add 2 T lemon juice (high in potassium) and a few grinds of sea salt to a couple glasses of water to prevent this. ACV is also a good source of potassium (always dilute anything acidic very well to protect teeth enamel). Or else I just take a couple of my cycling electrolyte pills. Low sodium V-8 juice is also well balanced in electrolytes.
-I drink a fair bit of high quality chicken stock, again for the electrolytes, if I'm feeling woozy.
-If I'm planning on an intensive bout of exercise, I eat a tablespoon of coconut oil first (often mixed with a drop of splenda and a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa). I'll add a T of whey protein powder if I'm going for a long bike ride, so I don't bonk. This isn't fasting, exactly, but coconut oil MCTs are metabolized so differently than other foods that a lot of IF feel that they're just fine while fasting.
It took my body a couple weeks to really adjust.

Great information! I work outside so I do have to be careful when it's hotter to not swoon! I passed out once and my DH was so furious with me! I don't know if I fasted today or not....I had 3 cups of coffee with cream, and tonight I had chicken broth. No solids. I didn't have problems with hunger....just looking at the clock and thinking it was time to eat lol.
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Horsetrainer110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on the back of a horse
Posts: 5,028
Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Speaking as someone who regularly goes until dinner on just 100 cal of coffee DD and UD....the first few times it is a good idea to have an exit plan in the form of low cal food you can gobble if you need to. With practice semi-fasting gets very easy. And very pleasant because you just don't have to even think about food.
Yes, I agree with the exit plan....I have plenty of chicken broth, mushrooms, shakes etc...that I can grab if I have to. I ended up with broth tonight!
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Horsetrainer110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on the back of a horse
Posts: 5,028
Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Actually, if your DD calories are very low, they are hardly counting as a *blip* in your fasted state. Apparently, our bodies don't stop all the good work that's going on from fasting just from the very few calories we eat on a DD, so you're really allowing your body to benefit from even more hours than just that 24 hour period.

Since your DD calories are so few and don't really count as much of a break in your fast, your fast is effectively continuing on through your DD supper and on through that whole night until you first really begin to eat on your following UD. That's the day that you really *stock up* on lots of food and calories and make a good break in your fasting.

If you really follow JUDDD and do your low calories on your DDs, your *effective* fasting period is more in the range of 36 hours! And a whole lot of good repair and healing can be going on inside you from that.
That's good to know. I have not read the book, and all of my knowledge about what I'm doing is from here. I do not pretend to understand how this works. In fact, I believe I'll start another post about that!
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.