Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
24hrs long enough for sirt1 by eating once a day?

Ive still been reading A LOT about fasting/sirt1.
i read the term 24 hour fast often.
but i get the feeling that most of the time they mean 24 hours PLUS sleep.
so you may be around the 33 to 36 hour mark.
I know that 36 would be best but does anyone know or have read about 24 hours rather than 36 and its benefits?
at that point you are moving to a warrior/fast5 types of eating.
eating once a day every 24 hours.

i ate like that for most of this week and dropped a lot.
i was doing dinner around 7pm and glass of red wine around 11 or 12 (im a night owl lol) on empty stomach

anyway...
im going to do a full week of this and see what happens.
rather than down 2 up 1.5
i was down 1 down 1 down 1 down 1.

this weeks eating schedule is going to look like this:
mon - 100% fast (to clean up for the weekends UDs) 8oz of red wine
tues - MD but eating about 2000 (400/1600) of 4700 UD 8oz of red wine
weds - im doing 1600 calorie dinner (24 hour fast) 8oz of red wine
thurs - im doing 1600 calories dinner (24 hour fast) 8oz of red wine

then i take EITHER friday or saturday based on my "social calendar"
and one is a 1600 day and the other is a full UD allowed.
then sunday is a full UD allowed but probably more like a true MD of 2500

this is one fast day
2 UDS
4 MDS

looks confusing but actually is super easy for me and allows for super flexibility

one thing that has slapped me in the face, if you remember i was the one petrified of carbs and ive found after a month of atkins and breaking old habits and then JUDDDING for a couple weeks, im able to keep to one meal a day and not get into old habits. but in that 1600 calories is desert so i never feel like i cant have anything.

*one hour on treadmill 6 days a week

Last edited by OhioGuy; 04-13-2012 at 08:59 AM..
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Any amount of fasting, even skipping a meal, is supposed to have its benefits. With regards to amount of hours in the fast, one example with rodent studies, their lives are not divided by sleep the way ours are - they naturally have a different pattern of eating and sleeping within 24 hours than humans. So I'm not sure how important the sleep part is to extend your fast to 36 hours, just that sleep sure does make it easy to get a long stretch of time without eating! And I know that I usually don't eat b'fast, so I'm extending that fast even longer without discomfort.

Really, there are all types of intermittent fasts out there that use all different lengths of fasting.

In my experience:

JUDDD with its approx. 36 hour time-table works.

MUDDD works, even though I modify it to make it even easier on myself.

I also have my own version (an easier version of course, ) of Fast-5 that works for me.

Interchanging these types of IF - either doing my F5 on top of the other two or doing it for a while by itself - is still giving me great benefits, I'm maintaining very well. I can keep this up for the rest of my life, switching among them as I want or need.

So if what you are doing is working for you, do it some more and just see how it goes.

And I love, love how well you are handling the carbs since you came to JUDDD, Jamie! JUDDD really keeps us on track that way, partly because we know we have calorie limits to keep. KUTGW!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-13-2012 at 09:31 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
The lady that lost 120 lbs from Canada, (I posted her Youtube video a while back) did this and lost well. She said she eats one meal every day and has been for 4 years. She has many posts about all of her health benefits on her website. I am in a hurry, but will link it if I have time today.

Congrats on your success this far!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

thanks!

and i look through some of your posts for the link
and let you know if i find it.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Dr J encouraged JUDDD BUDDDs to have 36 hours of caloric restriction/fasting.

However, caloric stress response (AKA 'That Ole JUDDD Magic', AKA Sirtuin enzymes production) begins when the body's available store of energy drops to or below some trigger level (AKA 'skip a meal' - but the timing really depends on each individual's metabolism).

I think Dr J chose 36 hours because that takes DD very close to the second 'magic moment' - the time the body decides the famine is real, turns off sirtuin production, and begins battening down the hatches (AKA 'starvation mode' AKA 'Oh dang, I feel terrible and my weight loss has stalled!').

Once again, that second magic moment differs for each individual. 40 hours is the average.

The longer you stay in caloric stress response, the more sirtuin enzymes are produced, the more blue birds tweet, sunshine glistens, health improves, and weight goes bye-bye.

If caloric stress response is broken early (not TOO early.....like, not five minutes after breakfast is over) nothing really bad happens. Depending on metabolism, weight loss may not proceed at absolutely optimal speed. Weight loss won't stop. The slowdown may not even be perceptible.

We who love JUDDD know we have to tune it to ensure it is a long-term WOL. If JUDDD does not support each of our lifestyles, then we will probably give it up after awhile.

I, for one, am all for a bit of experimentation.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Dr J encouraged JUDDD BUDDDs to have 36 hours of caloric restriction/fasting.

However, caloric stress response (AKA 'That Ole JUDDD Magic', AKA Sirtuin enzymes production) begins when the body's available store of energy drops to or below some trigger level (AKA 'skip a meal' - but the timing really depends on each individual's metabolism).

I think Dr J chose 36 hours because that takes DD very close to the second 'magic moment' - the time the body decides the famine is real, turns off sirtuin production, and begins battening down the hatches (AKA 'starvation mode' AKA 'Oh dang, I feel terrible and my weight loss has stalled!').

Once again, that second magic moment differs for each individual. 40 hours is the average.

The longer you stay in caloric stress response, the more sirtuin enzymes are produced, the more blue birds tweet, sunshine glistens, health improves, and weight goes bye-bye.

If caloric stress response is broken early (not TOO early.....like, not five minutes after breakfast is over) nothing really bad happens. Depending on metabolism, weight loss may not proceed at absolutely optimal speed. Weight loss won't stop. The slowdown may not even be perceptible.

We who love JUDDD know we have to tune it to ensure it is a long-term WOL. If JUDDD does not support each of our lifestyles, then we will probably give it up after awhile.

I, for one, am all for a bit of experimentation.
Hey Nancy- thanks for that info. I was trying to find some studies on this. Do you have a study to quote that you got this from? I wanted to show it to a friend of mine. I find this stuff SO interesting!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I say if it works for you that is great. You are a man so have an advantage when trying to lose.

I am having a MUDDD type of weekend myself because of a house guests and a lot of social events. But I am maintaining, not trying to lose.

I love the rotations of UD/DD as a rule. But we are all different.

The one thing you may miss out on is the 'healing' benefit of the 36 hour fast. For me that is very important, at 64 I need all the help I can get.

Incidentally, I am so delighted that you can fit puddings and wine into your lifestyle again without binging.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Jamie, you are doing great, and I think it's fabulous that you are getting tuned in to your body and are willing to try different things and see how you react to it.

My only concern with so many 1600 calorie days is that you won't actually relieve the starvation stress response and your metabolism will start to slow. So just be on the watch for that.

Is it right that your UD is 4700 cal (I remember it was way up there)?

Let us know how it goes!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
Hey sunday: I looked for the Canadian woman in you mentioned and couldn't find anything.. do you still have the link?
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Jamie, I read a lot of articles on IF/Calorie Restriction. Can't remember if I found all that in one place or just sort of put it all together gradually. I probably put it together as I saw patterns resulting from unrelated tests.

In the morning, if as I usually do, I wake early I will do a little hunting.

Yam-Yam and Sophie, do you have a one-stop reference? Giggle, or a driving need to correct me on something?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I would think when a plan says 24 hours, it literally means 24 hours.

OTOH, fasting for a "day" could be more like 36 hours.
For example, you eat dinner today, fast tomorrow, eat breakfast the next day.....prob more than 24 hours between that dinner & breakfast!

I think your plan sounds great, and very healthy! Good luck!
You can always come back to JUDDD if you want!

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-13-2012 at 05:22 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I think I might of seen the YouTube video post. If I remember correctly she posted under the blog name freespirithaven. It was about a women who was eating one meal a day and it was working for weight loss for her.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Jamie - to help with the relief of 'dieting' - perhaps one of your 1600 days should be more like 3000?

Something on the lines of:

Sunday: UD - 4700
Monday: Fast (upto 500)
Tuesday: 1600 - IF
Wednesday: 3000 - 3500 (IF, if you want)
Thursday: 1600 - IF
Friday: UD or MD 4700 or 2000
Saturday: UD or MD 4700 or 2000

If you followed normal UD/DD rotations - your average daily cals come in at around 2820

If you follow the above rotation your daily average cals come in around 2428 cals per day - so you haved a little lee way to play.

I think it is better if you can follow the proper UD/DD rotations - but, if that doesn't suit your lifestyle - you need to tweak it -so long as you continue to lose. I think with this type of caloric restriction etc you will probably lose - but you if it doesn't work - then perhaps revisit the proper rotations.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
Thought I havent done JUDDD as long as others. But this is called Eat Stop Eat.

Heres a site I found:

Eat Stop Eat: 24 Hour Fast

Same idea of JUDDD, but its so one can eat a meal a day and not feel "starved" from what I was reading about it. It seems to lead to over eating in the long run. You can give it a try, its a "your miles will vary" thing. But hey if it works for you!! It seems to be more on the order of MUDDD now that I think about it. When I was searching about IF when I first found JUDDD here, I read this Eat Stop Eat thing. I saved the link because I thought it would be good for a vacation type thing in the summer!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Last edited by krow134; 04-13-2012 at 07:12 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

yes ive read fast5, ese, and warrior
at least read what i could of each.

im going to give it a try starting sunday.

what funny? our local news tonight had " drinking red wine for weight loss." i literally laughed. i was just talking about how i had been drinking it and how gross i think it s but was downing it as fast as i could lol
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I'm going to be experimenting with combining JUDDD with other IFs (mainly Fast5) now that I'm in maintenance. With my summer schedule I want to be able to eat at certain weekly events without counting everything and yet keep a string of days each week with the UD/DD rotation. And I still want to have one complete fast day each week.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't find the video that I posted, but this is the same girl and she has a website that she speaks about her journey. In this one she talks about how many health benefits she has. She says that she used to be a 3X and now she is a sz4. Also, I find it interesting that she notices inches disappearing, way before her weight changes. In one of her video's she talks about all of the meds that she used to be on, Xanax, BP meds, Antidepressants.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
our local news tonight had " drinking red wine for weight loss." i literally laughed. i was just talking about how i had been drinking it and how gross i think it s but was downing it as fast as i could lol
You are definitely not drinking the right red wine!!!!!

During the week I come close to combing Fast 5 / JUDDD. Eat very little or nothing during the day, then have a large or small dinner depending on DD/UD.

As I said, I think experimenting is a good idea. But what is working for one person may be a disaster for another. Some of us thrive on zero cal DDs while others stall until they eat to or above the calculated DD cals. Some of us eat somewhat below BMR on UD (which is to say 400 - 500 cals below UD calculations), others stall until they eat above UD calculations. Some of us need three meals a day or they stall, others need two or one meal.

As long as it works (feel reasonably good + signs of improving health + weight loss) and you don't slip into a low-cal/starvation mode woe, it is all good.

True some of the WOEs have names and patterns that are not strictly JUDDD. From my POV, we are all outliers here on an LC forum. I am quite willing to discuss/compare other IF/caloric restriction WOEs.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nancy,

Do you think eating once per day, but actually consuming your calories on UD is workable?

I can't seem to eat 3 meals on UD, but I can eat one mega meal and then supplement with wine, EVCO if needed in the evening. I have a feeling that is what my WOE will be throughout the school year and then summertime and winter break, I can be back to 3 meals on UD. I have one meal on DD and I know that is not a problem.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
There is no way I could eat 1600 calories in one meal. I get stuffed to the point of feeling like I'm going to bust, and remain full for HOURS on 600.

How do you do it?
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #21

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I haven't been around here much lately, OhioGuy, so may have missed some of your posts, and I have to admit that I didn't quite feel I completely understood what you are doing as far as the calorie numbers you are consuming, or whether you are doing alternate Up Days and Down Days.

There are a lot of different diet plans that incorporate a period of not eating. Heck, I suppose you could even include that old fashioned *3 squares a day* way of eating that had breakfast about 7:00 and a noontime lunch, and then ended with supper at 7:00 again. Then there was the 12 hours of fasting until it was time for breakfast again.

There are plenty of breakfast skippers who eat about noon and then again at suppertime and no more. So if they have supper about 7:00, they get in approximately 17 hours of fast before lunch again the next day.

And then those plans that are just *eat one meal a day* plans, which give a person almost 24 hours of fasting between daily meals.

It sounds like you are doing the latter... eating one meal a day.

Are you doing JUDDD?

This plan doesn't care how many times you eat during your daily period, only the number of calories you consume during that day. On JUDDD we have a day of high calories followed by a day of very low calories, and we cycle that high/low calorie way of eating. The calorie numbers we are given are pretty well figured for us individually, and for a purpose.

Are you eating your daily calories in that UD/DD alternating cycle? That's JUDDD.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

ill catch up with everyone sunday. all i can say is, so far so good. ive list a pound a day for the last five days this way. im waaaaaaaaay to big to play the yoyo game of down 2 up 2 down 3 up 2.75 i should be able to safely drop 5 pounds a week for the first two month perhaps. not expecting but i have a loooot to lose. but its working well and i have been eating everything i want. yesterday i was out and about all day. mcdonalds for lunch and pizza for dinner
lol onevpound.
and as always, i know its not fair being a guy lol
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #23

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
ill catch up with everyone sunday. all i can say is, so far so good. ive list a pound a day for the last five days this way. im waaaaaaaaay to big to play the yoyo game of down 2 up 2 down 3 up 2.75 i should be able to safely drop 5 pounds a week for the first two month perhaps. not expecting but i have a loooot to lose. but its working well and i have been eating everything i want. yesterday i was out and about all day. mcdonalds for lunch and pizza for dinner
lol onevpound.
and as always, i know its not fair being a guy lol
Good for you! That is wonderful and exciting news, and makes me smile a great big smile for you. And *fair* just doesn't have anything to do with much of anything once we aren't 6 years old again, on the playground yelling "That's not FAIR!" It just is what it is.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your successes!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sunday! I put a lot of planning into my UDs. I like to cook and like to cook with cream and cheese and such (really ups the calories while keeping volume reasonable). Any UD I don't have a plan for a rich, wicked dinner I tend to make myself eat lunch....or pull out the Ruby Port and dark chocolates (gosh, this is a tough gig!)

But, you are right, there are UDs when I know dinner is going to be sparse. Those are the days I go searching for lunch calories.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Somewhere in Dr. J's book, he talks about your reaching the point that you don't want to eat a lot at meals. If I only ate one giant meal per day, I am not sure if I would ever reach the point where I am satisfied with a "normal" portion.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

and if i was to get right down to it, i COULD have 1600 calories on dds. so im at FIVE down days per week.
put the the numbers in...
6'2'm 355, exercise 6/7 days a week and use 35% weight loss schedule.

my uds have been around 3500
and fasting on mondays.
no, its not juddd, but its working and im eating plenty.
(specially subway lol, you get a lot for you calories)
but between lc/juddd ive been able to control my eating for the first time....ever

ive basically went on the high end of my dds and not being starving going crazy eating 4600 calories on uds. and rathr than bouncing up and down im falling down.
and again i couldnt have done it with out lc/juddd/and everyone here helping

who know where ill be in two weeks, but i like experimenting a little and even more i like results from experimenting
Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Somewhere in Dr. J's book, he talks about your reaching the point that you don't want to eat a lot at meals. If I only ate one giant meal per day, I am not sure if I would ever reach the point where I am satisfied with a "normal" portion.
so far its been faily easy for me ( so far lol)
but a lot has to do with my schedule
ive found the less i eat the less i need so far, but after a full fast, i start the day ok and find myself eating a lot on uds

hell if i know but its been working and going to test out this week again.
if i drop another five.... ill have a big smile
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: No white food
Quote:
" drinking red wine for weight loss." i literally laughed. i was just talking about how i had been drinking it and how gross i think it s but was downing it as fast as i could lol
You know the pills on the JUDDD website, eReserveratrol? you know what the ingredient that makes them work......" Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes and in other fruits. However, red wine contains very little of it"

I did a search of Resveratrol on Amazon and found some at a really good price.
babykinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

yeah, i read that info from here, perhaps from you =)
so i bought some! lol
i havent taken them yet. i just got them a few days ago.
im going to take them on DDs and see what happens.

red wine still supplies some goodies (imo)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
so far its been faily easy for me ( so far lol)
but a lot has to do with my schedule
ive found the less i eat the less i need so far, but after a full fast, i start the day ok and find myself eating a lot on uds

hell if i know but its been working and going to test out this week again.
if i drop another five.... ill have a big smile
Good luck and hope you have great results. Course if I tried what you are doing I would gain 10 but then you ARE male.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote