Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Exercisers: Can we talk?

I worked out hard two days in a row and this morning the scale says I'm up 5 whole pounds from my low weight of 193.

Absolutely I know in my brain this is normal for me. But I would like to talk about it. We all know that seeing numbers on the scale going up messes with the mind and motivation.

It has been at least 8 weeks since I stopped working out. Partly it was because I got soooooo out of my routine in February with everything going on in my life. Then in March it was a conscious decision. My body is very muscular by nature and anytime I start a regular and serious workout routine with cardio plus weight lifting, I start building muscle right away.

My decision not to exercise was simply because I did not want to have to look at the scale numbers rising from muscle gain and that initial water plus glycogen retention bodies do during muscle repair.

Once I read an article by a very petite, thin personal trainer. She said on occasion, after a serious workout, she can be up as much as 10 pounds the next morning!

When I saw the +5 this morning, I thought of her!! Just trying to comfort myself.

I know it all depends on the size of a person's frame and whether or not they have a lot of skeletal muscle and lean mass in their bodies.

Anyway, would love to hear from those of you who have just started working out like me or those who are putting it off like I was. Or, anyone who regularly exercises or anyone who is thinking about working out in the future. Or whoever wants to comment!

What I need is to stay motivated to exercise, but also stay motivated to get the scale numbers going down.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Question: How long did you do JUDD before you started working out regularly? Did you gain from exercise and did it freak you out?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
IMHO it is extremely hard to add muscle. It is very easy to tone and strengthen muscles. And when you lose weight, you expose muscles. It is very possible to increase your overall endurance. But to add muscle, very hard. Very few people really do that.

From my personal experience with 15 years of running ( distance runner, not particularly fast ( just sub-5min/mile, sub 3 hour marathoner)), I added weight over those years. But I would say most of it was fat. And I would think a 7 day a week, 70 miles a week at 7 min per mile training schedule is more than most people do for exercise.

Similarly body builders often have a hard time adding volume/weight to their muscle mass. Even when they are actively working at it. A typical diet does not have the amount of protein needed to make that happen.

Having said that working out is a great idea.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CharlotteChick
Stats: 164/147/140
WOE: Post-hcg/high fat/low carbs
Start Date: JUDD: March 27, 2012 :-)
I started a Pilates class twice a week at the Y the same time I started JUDDD. Pretty excited about it; it's the first real exercise I've done consistently in years.

Since so many people have repeated stated that exercise will add pounds, that comforts me when I see the scale go up. I just remind myself that I FEEL better mentally because I know I'm doing what's good for my body, and I also FEEL thinner, even when the scale won't agree.

I feel your pain. We'll just keep telling ourselves that doing JUDDD and exercising is taking good care of our bodies.
CharlotteChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Great that you are back to exercising! I am joining you this week. I am running again as I have my energy back now that I have some carbs back in my system. JUDDD (just had to say it). I know what you mean with the weight training. My body hangs onto water like crazy when I start. Not sure I build muscle very fast but my weight always bumps up the next day. I'll fit in a full body weight work out this weekend and face the weight gain with you. Muscle burns calories so we should be losing more weight in the future right?
I am also a slow runner (sub 5 1/2 hour marathoner ). I also gained weight over the years running and I know it is fat not muscle! I am hoping JUDDD gets me leaner so I can get a bit speedier in the future. I am glad you started an exercise thread as I can always use the motivation and information. Do you get hungrier on your DD's if you exercise? Do you adjust your calories at all?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmmmm... I know there are differing opinions on how quickly one can add muscle.

A number of years ago I had a male personal trainer. I asked him how quickly we start building muscle when we do strength training. He said immediately and referred me to an article that backed it up.

I've read dozens of articles that talk about the immediate water and glycogen retention and why you should not step on the scale or take measurements right after working out because it could be discouraging to see temporary gains in pounds and inches while muscles are repairing.

Running does not build muscle as much as it burns fat. I've been doing my cardio at high intensity while wearing a weight vest with 10 pounds of weight in it on an elliptical machine.

Afterwards I lift weights for upper body and do pull ups, seated rows and push ups.

Then I do squats and lunges while holding 10 to 15 pound weights in each hand and also do lower body weight training on machines.

Today I'm seriously considering just doing straight cardio for a week and not doing the strength training until maybe I see another 5 pound loss.

What do you think?

I feel soooooo much lighter on my feet since losing 36 pounds.

One more question for you: What do you think of body monitor scales?? I know they are not the most effective way to measure body fat and muscle. However, I have read that as long as one is consistent, one can get a pretty good idea of how much body fat they are losing and how much lean mass they are gaining. And I know you need to use it in the afternoon, when hydrated, and take the average over 30 days.

I own a Tanita Iron Man body monitor scale. It has shown a 4 pound gain in muscle. 3% gain in hydration. .2 gain in bone mass (went from 5.6 to 5.8 and I'm not really sure what that means) and a 2.6% loss of fat in the past week.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I know there are "newbie gains" to be made when building muscle, that's been shown, so I think it is possible to gain some muscle "easily" at first. But I do think it's hard to gain muscle on a calorie deficit (is it impossible, I don't know?), and you do need adequate protein. I would think a 5 pound weight fluctuation would probably be water retention.

Body monitor scales from what I hear aren't usually accurate but I've been eyeing the Eatsmart precision get fit digital body scale, look it up on Amazon. It has great reviews, and I absolutely love my plain Eatsmart scale.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Charlotte: Thanks! And that is a good reminder that we are doing something so good for our bodies.

Babs: As I said, I feel so much lighter on my feet than I did 36 pounds ago! Duh!

I have not noticed getting hungrier after working out so far. And, I have not adjusted my calories. I've been doing 400/1900 but thinking maybe I need to change that in some way to shake things up. Don't know.

Wednesday was a DD and I worked out hard for one hour and 45 minutes. I actually felt less hungry after going to the gym.

I ordered some BCAA from Netrition and took some for the first time on Wednesday. I had never heard of it until I was reading an article about working out in a fasted state and how it burns fat quicker than working out after eating. The BCAA is supposed to preserve muscle when dieting and also help to build muscle if you take it right before exercise. It's also supposed to prevent muscle soreness after working out. I was surprised to not feel sore yesterday. But this morning my upper arms are sore.

We shall see! I'll keep you posted.

I know it sounds crazy, but I can already feel muscle definition in my upper arms improving. And, I can really feel my glutes sticking out when I run my hand over my rear and hamstrings in my upper thighs.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I worked out hard two days in a row and this morning the scale says I'm up 5 whole pounds from my low weight of 193.
Yes, it's water. It's exactly what you know it is - muscles swell with fluids after hard workouts, but I totally understand that it is DIFFICULT to see that on the scale. And I understand that you want to be able to get the benefits of exercise without experiencing that "set back" feeling of looking at the scale and seeing higher numbers due to exercise.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions on it since I'm not much of an exerciser atm, but I did want to say I get what you're feeling, and to confirm that it isn't fat you're regaining - it has to do with the exercise, the muscles, the water, etc. Those with much more knowledge than me on this normal part of exercise/muscle will be able to offer help.

Congrats on doing the exercise and doing great things for your body.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-13-2012 at 10:52 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Hazel: I try to eat 100 grams of protein on UDs and as much as I can get in on a DD. I managed to get in 66 grams of protein on my last DD. Two 4 oz servings of steamed tilapia and 3 ounces of turkey breast and still stayed under 500 calories for the day.

Sometimes I mix whey protein isolate with cold water after a workout for 20 grams of protein because I know how important it is for muscle building.

I'm pretty happy with the Tanita body monitor scale. It's accurate to .2 oz in weight. It was expensive, but I felt it is worth it.

I just have a regular WW portable digital body weight scale for when I travel. We will be flying to Palm Springs on Sunday and my scale is going with me! It weighs exactly the same as the Tanita and I've tested them both for accuracy by weighing myself, then picking up my 20 pound kettle bell and getting back on. It's right on the dot.

That way I feel like I'm not guessing between scales or kidding myself about my true weight.

Gosh, I'm chatty today! What's new, huh?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Sophie: You always know just the right things to say! That is soooooo what I want to have affirmed. I know it's a water gain and I know it's a good thing. Those of us who so desperately want to knock off pounds and not just inches understand how demoralizing it can be to look at the numbers go up and not down. I seriously talked myself into thinking it would be different this week and I would work out and not see the workout bounce. I mean, yesterday was an UD so I got a double whammy as I usually gain after an UD. Eventually it will go down. I'm experiencing slower and slower losses now no matter what I do.

I pull back on carbs or do just lean protein for several days in a row (still JUDDing with those foods) and I can't even get back to my new low. Yesterday after a DD I was .2 above the new low.

Something's got to give eventually. I just have to keep patting myself on the back for the size 10 jeans!!! I'll be in Palm Springs wearing cute capris and my new swimsuits next week. Gotta be happy about that, too!!

As Cindy always says, something about only I see the numbers on my scale. Others see how I look, not my numbers. Thanks for your encouragement!!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Screamer
Stats: :)
WOE: jab jab jab cross hook
Start Date: 8/7/00
I'm an exerciser. I have been boxing and kick boxing (cardio boxing at LA Boxing for almost 5 years) I will lose 1 to 1.5 lb an hour. I replentish the h2O after the workout. Initially I weighed 175 (after thyroid implosion) and got down to 138-144 in about 6 months after the thyroid was healed. I'm looking to a 133 -135 goal.

I also lift weights and use weight machines, and walk about 1.5 miles a day.

Cardio boxing is not for the faint of heart. It is intense hard and very fast paced. And I hit/kick a big black bag (150lb). The resistance is good for my body. Google LA boxing for a video to understand what I do. I have slowed down in the past year or so. By slowing down I refer to a 90-95% of the class's output. I have found that if I fuel the day before I have a 98% class. Keep in mind I am the oldest female in the classes.

I went into a little more detail to explain what I do and why I eat the way I do. I tried the HGC for 2 months. Eating 500 calories a day just did not fuel my body enough to kickbox. LC was good for me but I needed to lose about 10-15 more and decided to up/down and see if I could handle the workouts and lose those last few pounds.

JUDDD is working fine. I'm three weeks into this WOE and I'm still adjusting to ups and downs. The only major adjustment is eating enough the day before to fuel the workouts the the next day. (I do not eat anything for 4 hours before a boxing/kickboxing workout because I will --->

What I really like about this is the fact that I can have all kind of foods. The first week I lost about 4.5 lbs and kept it off until that fateful Easter and had a really big serving of scalloped potatoes. So now I'm on my way back down.

What I'm trying to explain is I've exercised before and then started JUDDD and I need to tweak the calories to fit my workouts. I'm not giving up this WOE because it is working and I can eat higher carbed foods I couldn't eat before. In the three weeks I have lost almost 1 inch in the waist even though I've bounced since Easter and I'm really happy about that.

This is a slow go and I don't expect to drop 15 lbs in the first month.

As far as muscle gain. The muscle takes about 6-8 months to build it self up. What I am doing at this point is keeping my muscle and reshaping my stature. The fat will come off with the calorie input/exercise output. What a novice exerciser sees on the scale is fluid buildup in the muscle itself. The ache you feel in unused muscle is the body sending 'help' to that muscle filling it with fluid making the muscle 'think' it is being protected with cushion. Since the muscle is filling up with cushy fluid the muscle has to work harder to move and it hurts. The initial result is a bit of weight gain and the fluid will eventually leave the muscle and the extra 1/2 lb will leave again.

I will feel the same muscle ache even at this stage when I use a muscle not in my regular routine.

So bottom line is you are not seeing muscle build at this point. This is why I suggest to take exercise SLOW. Ease into it. Don't strain anything or injure anything. Spend time stretching and breathing. Lift easy and learn control and proper movement. Exercising is not to be taken lightly. What ever you decide to do, research it and understand it. When you become knowledgeable about the type of exercise you are doing it will work for you and your body. What ever you decide to do whether it be yoga, zumba, walking off the pounds, etc. you are benefiting your entire being. Body systems; muscle, skeletal, heart, mind all benefit. (use it or lose it theory).

Back in the late 80's Tony Little had videos for exercising. In the 30-45 minute workout he had a timer. Each exercise/movement was timed - 30 seconds for a beginner, 60 seconds for intermediates and up to 3 minutes for the more experienced person. The entire time Tony was encouraging the person working out to do a little more each time. Tony was really nice to look at so of course I added a few seconds each time I turned on the VCR.

Well if you got this far - YAY! I hope you decide to give exercise a try. It'll do your body good.

Edited: So I went back to read and you are exercising. I hope you keep it up. Don't fret the weight gain. build that muscle! Your body will know what to do with itself once the fat is gone.

Last edited by Screamer; 04-13-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
I'm always up the day after working out. Muscles hold water trying to repair things, which is why they say drink water, water, water after working out. I've been doing Curves and Zumba for about 8 months and have yet to lose any weight. Body fat has been doing down, which is better they say.

I've been exercising in some form or fashion, even if it's just walking, for most of the last 30 years. Have never lost any weight, but I know there's gotta be some good stuff going on in the inside!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Good to read that exercise seems to be working for people on the DD with out too many adjustments. It makes sence to make sure you have a good meal the night before. In running people are always focused on eating before/during and of course after that it is a bit of a change to do it this way. Not surprising that I was gaining weight with all the "fueling".
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I started exercising again when I started JUDDD, so I have no idea what difference it made.
I have seen big ups over the years from a serious workout or very long period of exercise. Any day we bike all day my weight historically will be up for about 3 days if that helps.
You do have gorgeous muscular gamgams, so go ahead and work em babe!

I'm not doing super strenuous exercise now, being gentle with myself although it will increase as soon as I start biking to work again. Maybe next week? I will report back. Not sure I can stand a weight spike, I'm just dropping pms weight right now trying to get back to my last low. I seriously am considering cutting my ovaries throats. jerks.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I was exercising before I started and just continued at the same pace. No change for me.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote