Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
WOE: Atkins
I need help!! (LONG)

I am very badly in need of some help / encouragement / advice!

Since the start of December last year I had been able to stay (mostly) in my goal range and reasonably comfortably in size 4 jeans. In late February I went to spend time with my parents (which I have to do quite often as they’re aging and not in the best of health). In less than two weeks away I gained more than 21 pounds. I can guarantee that I did NOT eat nearly 75,000 extra calories in that amount of time. The first week I was home my weight barely shifted at all, which disappointed me as I had hoped some would be water weight that would come off quickly once I got back to eating properly and exercising. After that first week home when I’d recovered a bit I went back to strict JUDDD. With two weeks of reasonably on-plan eating and a bit of exercise I had reached the very top of my goal range. My down days are generally 500-550 calories except on Friday when dh opens a bottle of wine and I allow myself 650-700, up days are 1600 though it can be a bit higher at the weekend. (I’m 5’7” and 54 years of age).

Then came Easter, and in three days I gained a stone (14 pounds). I’m still there at the same weight, with three excellent down days (I find them easiest) and two reasonable-but-not-perfect up days behind me. I’ve had to go back to the next-size-up jeans (6) which are VERY tight but not *quite* unwearable (even with the muffin-top they produce now). The size beyond that (8's) I’ve packed into the attic and would LOVE not to need... but it’s looking very likely that I will have to go there again which is making me very depressed and disgusted with myself.

If I had a nice stretch of time at home I wouldn’t be quite as upset, figuring that maybe adjusting my calories down a bit and adding exercise would do the trick. But, no, I have four trips coming up in the next couple of months which leaves me very little time at home. The first trip is Sunday and the anxiety I often suffer from has already kicked in. I have non-classic migraines and they’ve been non-stop all week (no nausea for me unfortunately... the one thing I can always do is eat!)

For exercise I used to do the 30 Day Shred every day (much as I hated it the results were good). But my thinking is that I need to find something sustainable that I will be able to do for the rest of my life, and that is definitely NOT it. My hip has finally stopped hurting since I gave it up, LOL! I do walk quite a lot, and when I can persuade myself to visit the dark, damp garage I have an elliptical machine in there and use it too. When I’m away I don’t really get any exercise at all.

My dh has encouraged me to go ahead and eat on travel days and just try to eat my calories the best I can in between. I'm feeling very depressed (and don't want to go back on the meds if I can help it) but can't see a reasonable way forward from here that doesn't involve giving up and taking out the bigger clothes again. That really makes me feel like a failure.
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Cammie!

You know your body best, but I encourage you to go see the doctor asap. You mention not wanting to go back on meds and I truly understand that desire. But that is a lot of weight in a short time. First and foremost, the question that needs to be put aside is, is this hormonal or otherwise physical?

Let us know what happens with the doctor. This is disturbing.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I agree, you should see your doctor to rule out a medical problem.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Oh no, sorry you are having such a hard time! That does not sound normal at all to gain so much in that time frame, I'm sure it can't all be fat, I agree with the others and say see a doctor as soon as you can.
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I absolutely agree with everyone else about getting yourself to a doctor. There's no reason you should have gained as you have even if you ate nothing but cheesecake all day every day if you KWIM. Please get yourself checked out. Re: depression meds--there's no shame in taking them if you need them.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
These gals are right.. sounds VERY hormonal to me. When is the last time you had all the thyroid/adrenal tests done: TSH, T3, T4, Reverse T3 & T4, antibodies. Those gains really sound like your thyroid is screaming for attention. The gains along with an imbalance in the thyroid would cause depression.... hopefully you have a good doctor that will test EVERYTHING not just the TSH. ASK for all those other tests along with progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone.... an adrenal spit test would be really wise too. I'm no pro.. and my thyroid issues are NOT extreme... but I KNOW we can be really miserable with thyroid complications AND they can cause VERY RAPID weight gain.
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Agreeing that it could be hormonal/thyroid. I can also gain a great deal of weight in a short time (when I let myself have sugar) but for me it is always water and always comes off within a week once I get off sugar again. But this doesn't sound like typical water weight. I would get it checked out.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Yup, totally agree with everyone about seeing a doc/meds. Like you said, unless you ate a amount of food everyday I can't see how you could have gained that much that quickly.

Sounds medical to me, also! Hope you get to figure this out soon, and keep the faith, all will be well I'm sure very soon!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I don't know how old you are but I had sudden weight gain like that when I was 40. I just knew I had some terminal disease. DS will be 23 this summer.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I don't know how old you are but I had sudden weight gain like that when I was 40. I just knew I had some terminal disease. DS will be 23 this summer.
you are the cutest

I am so sorry for your recent weight gain and I know how depressed this can make you feel. I just went through something very similar and went to the Dr this week- he is 99% sure it is thyroid related and I should get the bloodwork back today. Please do go see an open minded doctor with your symptoms and come back here for support and update us on your situation.
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
to you, Cammie, and all I can do is echo the others in that you need to get this checked out by your doc.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I am sorry that you are in this place. But with a lil help from your JUDDD BUDDDS and a Doctor visit you should feel top of the morning agin real soon i hope
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
WOE: Atkins
Thank you to everyone who has commented! I will do it at some point, but seeing a doctor isn't going to happen just now. I need to save up 60 euro for a GP visit plus I need to be home long enough to get in and I’m leaving tomorrow on the first of my trips. I ask about my thyroid EVERY time I'm there but am always sent away being told that it's fine. I don't think GP’s will order the more detailed tests. It takes about two months from the GP visit to get an appointment at the hospital for a non-emergency blood test (it might well have gotten worse but that's what it was last time I needed a morning - fasting - appointment) so by then I’ll have either sorted it myself or decided it really is a medical issue. I wonder how many years long the waiting list is for endocrinology consultants anyway... (and unfortunately that's NOT a joke!)

I'm not clinically depressed, though I can see that it might have sounded that way. I've been there before and would definitely go back on drugs despite all the weight gain if I thought it was necessary. My dh would definitely be saying something if I reached that state again! What is making me feel so horrible is simply having to climb up to the attic for my fat clothes - honestly I wouldn’t even mind what numbers the scale said if those size 4's would still fit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
I can also gain a great deal of weight in a short time (when I let myself have sugar) but for me it is always water and always comes off within a week once I get off sugar again.
I think this is part of it since I’ve been really low carb for about a year and a half. Looking back at the actual numbers, I gained 21.5 pounds in the two weeks, but lost 18 of it in the following three weeks. I gained 8 pounds from Easter weekend and (as of standing on the scales just now which I really never do mid-day!) have lost just over 5 pounds of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Too funny!! Theoretically possible I suppose (I’m still waiting for that magical 12 months... I get to about three and scream with frustration when TOM dares to arrive AGAIN) but definitely NO!

I'm having another DD today, and plan to be as careful as I can about my calories and carbs while I'm away. I just have to accept that for both this trip and the Spain trip (which is next up) I won't be able to wear my nice clothes. On the plus side, really tight jeans could be an asset for Las Ramblas (aka pickpocket central) in Barcelona!
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Hi Cammie I am an aromatherapist and would like to offer you a couple of suggestions for your migraines and your stress. Peppermint essential oil is a very effective remedy for migraines for many people. Several drops mixed into a half ounce of almost any kind of pure oil and put on your temples will usually work. If you mix some lavender essential oil into that mix it will further help your head and is great for relieving stress. My DH's migraines start to go away the minute I put this mix on his temples. I hope this helps you. Feel better soon.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammie View Post
Thank you to everyone who has commented! I will do it at some point, but seeing a doctor isn't going to happen just now. I need to save up 60 euro for a GP visit plus I need to be home long enough to get in and I’m leaving tomorrow on the first of my trips. I ask about my thyroid EVERY time I'm there but am always sent away being told that it's fine. I don't think GP’s will order the more detailed tests. It takes about two months from the GP visit to get an appointment at the hospital for a non-emergency blood test (it might well have gotten worse but that's what it was last time I needed a morning - fasting - appointment) so by then I’ll have either sorted it myself or decided it really is a medical issue. I wonder how many years long the waiting list is for endocrinology consultants anyway... (and unfortunately that's NOT a joke!)

I'm not clinically depressed, though I can see that it might have sounded that way. I've been there before and would definitely go back on drugs despite all the weight gain if I thought it was necessary. My dh would definitely be saying something if I reached that state again! What is making me feel so horrible is simply having to climb up to the attic for my fat clothes - honestly I wouldn’t even mind what numbers the scale said if those size 4's would still fit me.

I think this is part of it since I’ve been really low carb for about a year and a half. Looking back at the actual numbers, I gained 21.5 pounds in the two weeks, but lost 18 of it in the following three weeks. I gained 8 pounds from Easter weekend and (as of standing on the scales just now which I really never do mid-day!) have lost just over 5 pounds of that.

Too funny!! Theoretically possible I suppose (I’m still waiting for that magical 12 months... I get to about three and scream with frustration when TOM dares to arrive AGAIN) but definitely NO!

I'm having another DD today, and plan to be as careful as I can about my calories and carbs while I'm away. I just have to accept that for both this trip and the Spain trip (which is next up) I won't be able to wear my nice clothes. On the plus side, really tight jeans could be an asset for Las Ramblas (aka pickpocket central) in Barcelona!
I don't know how it works where you are, but you need to save up and go see a DR. I used to have days where I'd gain 10lbs. My ankles and feet would be very swollen. I had other symptoms as well, but I got a diagnosis for hypothyroid after many tests. My TSH was within normal range (lab report normal range), but my DR treated my symptoms. I'm a heck of a lot better now. I also am a migraine sufferer. I'd wanted to second that you look into thyroid/adrenal issues too.

Last edited by DD80; 04-17-2012 at 09:05 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Hi Cammie I am an aromatherapist and would like to offer you a couple of suggestions for your migraines and your stress. Peppermint essential oil is a very effective remedy for migraines for many people. Several drops mixed into a half ounce of almost any kind of pure oil and put on your temples will usually work. If you mix some lavender essential oil into that mix it will further help your head and is great for relieving stress. My DH's migraines start to go away the minute I put this mix on his temples. I hope this helps you. Feel better soon.
Muffabuff - I am very interested in aromatherapy and have started reading about it. Have you found that peppermint essential oil also helps control hunger? I keep some at my desk and really like smelling it (I also have lemon oil). I have some peppermint mixed with almond oil but haven't had a migraine yet to try it. I don't have any lavender to add to it but I might try it. Is there a good book on aromatherapy that you can recommend?
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
At the start of my JUDDD journey, a few of us were struggling with hunger on our DDs, and we opted to try Peppermint Essential oils and just sniff the bottle a few times throughout the day. It worked!!!

I have come to a point in my JUDDD journey that I don't need it any longer, but am very grateful that I had the P/O on some of those difficult DDs.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
How simple and how brilliant.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I have peppermint tea....wonder if that would work the same way?
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #20

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Very likely.... but I can't drink any 'grass' teas as I call them. I do love real mint tea. Masses of fresh mint with hot water on top, I must get some mint!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
as a person who can, could and has gained like that (and yes I have hormone issues, no they are not fixable anyway) I FEEL YOUR PAIN.
The one piece of advice I can give you is keep your sugars low from everything you eat. I try to keep my sugars from everything at 20g or less a day (25 is my cap and I know I am on a bender if I go over it). Some of us have an insulin system that is quite willing to pack on 8-12 pounds in a day, and we know that isn't just calories. Hang in there sweetie!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
Aw, Cammie, it sounds like you're in a rough spot.

I noticed from one of your responses, though--it sounds like maybe you went from daily low-carb to something else? If it were me, and I ate a lot of gluten grains or certain other higher carbs for 2 or 3 weeks, I would probably blow up like a balloon on helium!

On another note, one day you really will reach that 12 month mark
Lianora Mosswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Hope you don't take this the wrong way but- are your scales reliable?

My old scales started fluctuating wildly and when I got some new ones I realised that

A My weight did not really change that much and
B The old ones had broken and under read by 7 lbs!

It has to be water weight. No way you can actually add fat that quickly. A GP is the only one who can tell you why you can store so much water. I was hyperthyroid and put on weight when they gave me pills to damp things down so I know how impossible it is to lose when you are hypo but the weight went on slowly.

I'd say definitely get to a GP no matter what it takes.

Last edited by stargazer; 04-18-2012 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: typo queen!
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote