Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Boosya
Stats: 209.5/204.1/120
WOE: hHcg, again...... :-)))
Question for those who fast on DD...

Hi everyone,

I am new here, and have been reading diligently for the last few weeks. I decided to jump in to this WOE, and was doing pretty good during the first week, and then went on vacation ..... Since coming home on Sunday, I can't stop shoveling food in my mouth. I initially lost 30 pounds using HCG, and thought i would try JUDD to change things up a bit. I like having the freedom to eat every other day, but do have trouble on my DD's. That's why I was thinking of just fasting through them.

So, my question(s): how did you decide to just fast on your DD, and did you just jump straight in like that or try eating your DD calories and saw that it wasn't working for you?

Thanks for your help!!!
Boosya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I've only fasted completely a couple of times, so I'm probably not the best person to answer this. I just let my hunger be my guide. If I wasn't hungry, I didn't eat.

There are others who made the conscious decision to fast completely on DDs, and I'm sure they'll stop by soon to offer their experiences.

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well im sure what i do is truly not considered a "FAST" due to i do consume 120 cals in my coffee creamer .. But if you consider "no food at all" a fast then thats me.. How i cam to this for me was when i tryed eating.. it turned on the hungar machinge, and i could not shut off that feeling no matter how much coffee i drank or water i put in.. So went for like two DD like that and said.." hey.. coffe makes you not hungry so just drink a few in the am and one mid afternoon" and that was what works for me.. I could never ever do just black coffee and eliminate those 120 cals.. i love what i drink way to much to lose that taste i so enjoy.
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I fast at least once a week. But I've done it quite a bit over the years, even before JUDDD...so it's been rather 'easy' for me from the start. It wasn't until discovering and researching IF and coming to know that it is indeed beneficial (I *felt* it was before but others told me it wasn't good for me so I would go back and forth) that I started doing it regularly and consistently.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Well im sure what i do is truly not considered a "FAST" due to i do consume 120 cals in my coffee creamer .. But if you consider "no food at all" a fast then thats me.. How i cam to this for me was when i tried eating.. it turned on the hunger machine, and i could not shut off that feeling no matter how much coffee i drank or water i put in.. So went for like two DD like that and said.." hey.. coffee makes you not hungry so just drink a few in the am and one mid afternoon" and that was what works for me.. I could never ever do just black coffee and eliminate those 120 cals.. i love what i drink way to much to lose that taste i so enjoy.
Same here.
I've tried to fast completely, but usually get a very bad headache in the afternoon. And I am now finding that recently, when I come home and have something small to eat for dinner (after fasting all day), I can't stop eating!
Maybe I'll try this "coffee" thing. I usually have one or two lattes w/almond milk on DDs, which REALLY helps curb my appetite. I'll try one in the afternoon, as well.
Thanks!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I can naturally go all day without eating, I worked in many many nursing homes in the hospice units, and just cause you got breaks didnt mean you got to take them somedays.

But for some reason I started JUDDD thinking, all day fast, NO PROBLEM!! Well yeah its been a problem!!! The difference with not eating cause you are calorie restricted to not eating cause your busy............is huge I am finding.

I went and got fiber capsules from walmart. Just the cheapy Equate brand. I only take them on DD's. I can stay fuller longer if I spread out the 6 pills they say to take (I only take 3 thought). The side effect on UD's is quite nice though....bernice...lol!!! I make sure I drink lots and lots of water too.

Also doing an experiment with reservatol at the moment. I will let you know how it goes after I have more time to see, only been taking 2 days but so far not as hungry as I normally have been, so maybe I just needed extra in my day that I wasnt normally producing.........I dont know still just experimenting with it!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I fast through breakfast on dd's, no eating until lunch. Just decaf black coffee and water. When I first started JUDDD, I HAD to eat something for breakfast (usually a 1 egg, 2 egg white scramble), or I got headachy and shaky. When I had good appetite suppression going, it just seemed natural to not eat until later. But by lunch, I AM ready to eat, so I don't think I could continue it all day.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I fast on all my DD's. Well almost a fast... I take a tablespoon of psyllium husks in water.

I started doing DD's at 350 calories and like some of the others, once I ate something, it stoked my appetite. If I ate a little, I needed more and more and more! I found if I didn't eat at all, the appetite didn't turn on and I could go all day without food. I do drink hot tea and coffee and lots of water.
I did get headaches in the evening when I started this, but I don't any longer. Sometimes I get hungry around 6:00 PM, but if I just wait it out, the feeling goes away.

I am quite used to doing this now. It just works better for me in turning off the raging hunger that eating would start. I did try heavily loading with protein in the morning and that didn't work to keep the hunger away either.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
Quote:
Well im sure what i do is truly not considered a "FAST" due to i do consume 120 cals in my coffee creamer .. But if you consider "no food at all" a fast then thats me.. How i cam to this for me was when i tryed eating.. it turned on the hungar machinge, and i could not shut off that feeling no matter how much coffee i drank or water i put in.. So went for like two DD like that and said.." hey.. coffe makes you not hungry so just drink a few in the am and one mid afternoon" and that was what works for me.. I could never ever do just black coffee and eliminate those 120 cals.. i love what i drink way to much to lose that taste i so enjoy.
I think I will try this on my next DD on Saturday. The last 2 DD I think I could have gone all day without eating but as soon as I started, I didn't stop until I reached 500 calories.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
i fast on the days im not able to get on the treadmill to workout.
i dont like to workout for an hour and not have something (usually 280 calories)
because its easier to NOT eat anything than it is to eat something and then stop eating while you are still very hungry
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Like Dawn, I eat to hunger. Some days that means my only calories are the 100 I get in coffee cream. That usually means I don't eat anything solid until dinner. Hmmm, may step that 'no food' thing up.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
I bet I could live a couple of DDs on coffee only (though my total cals would be a bit higher, probably 180), coffee and Diet Pepsi don't make me hungry, though ironically plain water does. I'm on a DD today and had an iced tea with Stevia and lemon juice and no hunger so far...i'll take coffee with me when I go to do my grocery shopping. I also could never do black coffee only, I LOVE my 1/2 & 1/2!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Funny, I was considering the very same thing.

I feel like it's harder to eat very little than to just not eat at all. It's as if even introducing food makes me STARVING the whole day.

I gave up coffee 2 years ago but this board is tempting me...

Today is a DD and I am going to try and have 1 green juice midday before yoga and then 1 protein shake before bed and eventually slowly work down to just water and green tea on my DD.

Maybe liquids will work for you too?
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Well i have been addicted to my coffee for years now.. When i was doing low fat years ago i dropped 100 pounds over a years time because my coffee made me not hungry..For me its liquid gold! I have read both sides of the coin on the good VS>bad in coffee and decided that for me.... its great! I am goin to try and find a lower calorie creamer.. 30 cal a cup is not bad.. but if i could make that less i would too And water water water sure helps when i get that urge to to eat before its time for my coffee Best of luck girls.. We can only share what works for US not for all.. So i hope it does help!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well i have been addicted to my coffee for years now.. When i was doing low fat years ago i dropped 100 pounds over a years time because my coffee made me not hungry..For me its liquid gold! I have read both sides of the coin on the good VS>bad in coffee and decided that for me.... its great! I am goin to try and find a lower calorie creamer.. 30 cal a cup is not bad.. but if i could make that less i would too And water water water sure helps when i get that urge to to eat before its time for my coffee Best of luck girls.. We can only share what works for US not for all.. So i hope it does help!
Thank heaven it works like that for me too. I was drinking all my coffee with about 3 Tbs of heavy whipping cream in EVERY cup!! When I started counting calories I saw the number of calories this was and I was horrified!! I started to drink it black on down days and discovered I actually like the taste of black coffee!! I still use creamer on up days.

The studies on the effects of coffee have been all over the map, but I go with the studies that suit what I want them to say! The last one from Life Extension I read really supported LOTS of coffee, so I am going with that!

Discovering Coffee's Unique Health Benefits
By Michael Downey

Every morning, many of us sip our coffee with no real thought given to the beans behind the brew. But coffee beans are extra-ordinarily complex fruits containing over 1,000 compounds - only a handful of which have ever been individually investigated by scientists. Not only is coffee packed with antioxidants, but it is the greatest source of antioxidants in the American diet.

The average American coffee drinker consumes about 3.1 cups of coffee a day, but extensive research has found that higher volumes - as much as 4 to 12 cups daily - can help prevent most major killers, including cardiovascular disease,cancer, diabetes, liver disease,1 and Alzheimer's disease.

For instance, in case-controlled human studies, compared to coffee abstainers, those who drank the most coffee cut their risks of breast cancer by 57% and diabetes by 67%.

Health authorities expressed alarm over the mushrooming epidemic status of diabetes after a July, 2011, study in Lancet shocked even experts with its estimate of 347 million diabetics worldwide. Then, the International Diabetes Federation presented evidence on September 13, 2011, that the real total is closer to 366 million.

Scientific studies have found that regular coffee consumption (with its chlorogenic acid content) lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes by up to 67%. This appears to result from reduced levels of blood glucose, increased insulin sensitivity, and decreased storage of both fat and carbohydrate.

In one of a number of studies, a 2009 meta-analysis in the Annals of Internal Medicine combined data on over 450,000 people and found that every additional cup per day of caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee lowered the risk of diabetes by 5 to 10%.

Many epidemiological studies show that the risk of diabetes drops directly according to the amount of coffee consumed. For instance, scientists found that overall risk is reduced by:

1. 13% with one cup a day

2. 47% with 4 cups a day

3. 67% with 12 cups a day

Cheers to the magic cup 'o joe!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I don't fast completely, but I don't eat food on DDs until dinner, usually after 7pm, sometimes even as late as 8-9pm. On DD mornings I have 16oz of black coffee, then nothing else until dinner. It works for me because I can then eat a somewhat normal sized meal and have a snack before I sleep even. Since it's closer to bedtime, I don't have a chance to get hungry again before it's time to sleep.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Sungoddess: Thanks for posting that article!!! I feel so much better about my love affair with coffee now.

If I have my 2 or 3 cups of coffee with a TBLSP half and half in each every morning, I just don't get hungry. And, I'm like so many in that if I eat, especially if I eat anything in the morning, it wakes up the hunger monster and I just think about food all day.

I have never totally fasted on a DD. Almost. But usually if all I have is my coffee, then when I get into bed at night my stomach is aching from hunger and I absolutely cannot fall asleep.

Found that if I have even half a cup of Greek yogurt before bed, I can sleep.

The one day I only had coffee with half and half all day, I dropped 3 pounds the next morning! I think that was my biggest drop ever in one day. Should try to do it more often.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

wish i saw drops like that from my coffee days.. But i am satisfyed with how my wieght is droping..I have noticed a pattern now also.. durring the second week of the month which is this one im in now.. my weight will hang right around the same dang number with very very small loss ie like 2 tenths of a pound for a loss.. but now i know.. this is my bodys resting time,, and next week the pounds will just start melting off again.. i am soo lovin this WOE! and all my new friends!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doing great today with mostly coffee! I've had 2 cups so far and am not hungry in the least. I use the Coffee Mate garbage on DD and put in 3t (30 cals), yes it's nowhere near as good as heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2 (my favorite) but it works in a pinch. I've also had a couple sips of Crystal Light, but that stuff gives me a headache and have also had a cup of iced tea with Stevia. I am going to have a can of soup for supper but hopefully nothing except liquids until then. I wish I knew all this before I posted my starving on DDs post yesterday!!

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Glad to hear your DD today is easier for you, Becky!

I've been a strong black coffee and water drinker for a long time. Never even considered giving up my coffee when doing Atkins! Over the years I've found that once I switch over to another beverage, my hunger starts, no matter if it's iced tea, diet pop, V-8, etc... once anything but black coffee or water passes my lips I start thinking about food.

My first few DDs I wanted to be sure and stave off hunger/obsessive food thoughts and what I'd always thought was a "hunger headache", so I made myself eat within the DD calorie guidelines. I was OK, kinda-sorta hungry but not at all unmanageable. But I did think about food quite a bit during the day. Then I had a DD where I was working outside all day, really busy doing tons of physical activity (trimming bushes and hauling them to the curb), and it was very late in the day before I remembered it was a DD and I hadn't eaten at all, just had coffee and water! I felt better than I had on the other DDs where I'd eaten a little something, by a large margin. More pep, just felt better overall. So I just didn't eat that day, didn't feel the need, and that was how my first fasting DD came about. My next DD I tried fasting and the same result - felt better not eating at all - and that's how I'm approaching DDs now. I do mentally allow myself the DD calories each DD and know there'll probably be times when I'll need them, but for now I'm finding a total food fast works best for me.

I love how JUDDD is so tweak-able for every individual!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
I've done several variations of DD eating patterns and the one that works best for me is to have liquids and put off eating as long as I can. I have coffee and/or broth - both with cream - during the day. I can keep busy at work (even if it's just Facebooking ) to ignore any hunger pangs. I'd rather have something to eat in the evening.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I can't fast completely on down days that fall on work days. But on the weekends (Fri-Sun) I will practically fast until dinner time. What that means to me is coffee with half and half for breakfast, usually some more in the late afternoon, and a hardboiled egg or lc yogurt in the early afternoon. Then I have a simple dinner of lean meat and either salad or green beans. It's basically a 24 hour fast. I have grown accustomed to it and feel just fine throughout the day. Drink plenty of water. Pop a gluccomannon cap if hunger is killer.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Sungoddess: Thanks for posting that article!!! I feel so much better about my love affair with coffee now.
You are very welcome. Makes me love my coffee even more too!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Made it till 3:30 with only coffee and other liquids, but the stomach started growling loudly at 3:00 so I fed it a salad, it's happy now. Going to 3:30 is much much better than starving all day! I'm going to put my coffee habit to good use on DDs and try to make it till 3:00 then eat.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
You can also try ignoring the hunger growls at that hour next time, if they're like mine they come and go and if you ignore them for 5 minutes they're gone. If they don't go away then I eat, but I sometimes wake up with a growling tummy and still manage to not eat until 8pm, and there's NO WAY i'd manage to do that if the hunger didn't go away on it's own!
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
You can also try ignoring the hunger growls at that hour next time, if they're like mine they come and go and if you ignore them for 5 minutes they're gone. If they don't go away then I eat, but I sometimes wake up with a growling tummy and still manage to not eat until 8pm, and there's NO WAY i'd manage to do that if the hunger didn't go away on it's own!
Will try next time, they were really loud!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I, too, tend to get hungrier when I eat. I haven't made it through total fasting yet, and I'm not sure it's better for my weight loss anyway. What I have found is that right after I eat, I get this frantic feeling of hunger that wants more more more. I have learned that a little loving self-talk (you're fine--you're not going to starve, you can eat more later or tomorrow) and waiting it out for about 20 minutes works well. Then I am relaxed about food again.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote