Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeeMT
Start Date: April 4, 2012
A question for maintainers:

Although I am far, far from being at maintenance, something about the calculator on the JUDDD website confuses me in regards to maintenance calories.
At the bottom of the calculator, doesn't "normal" calories refer to the calories needed to maintain the weight you that have entered up top?
If so, why would your down day calories be any less? Would you not continue to lose weight? Would you not want to eat the "normal" calories everyday, to maintain your weight? Thanks for answering.
LeeMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewSize4Me
Stats: 175.8/165.2/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 7, 2013
Sorry I don't have an answer since I'm new here, but I'm so glad you asked this. This is something I was wondering about too.
NewSize4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
Although I am far, far from being at maintenance, something about the calculator on the JUDDD website confuses me in regards to maintenance calories.
At the bottom of the calculator, doesn't "normal" calories refer to the calories needed to maintain the weight you that have entered up top?
If so, why would your down day calories be any less? Would you not continue to lose weight? Would you not want to eat the "normal" calories everyday, to maintain your weight? Thanks for answering.
I'm not sure if this will answer your question but in maintenance the % that we use on that calculator does up, not down. Using the same calories for UD and DD would just be doing a calorie restricted diet every day but JUDDD is based on a calorie gap every other day and this is how it works it's "magic". This meaning said, DD will always be less calories, even in maintenance.

Example: At 137 pounds I would use the % of either 50%, 55% or 60% to maintain my weight.

At 50%......DD cals are 784 and UD cals are 1567

AT 55%.....DD cals are 862 and UD cals are 1567 (stay the same)

At 60%......DD cals are 940 and UD cals are 1567 (again, stay the same)

This is using little or no exercise. So I get more food on DD, if I so chose but my UD calories are pretty close (off by about 90 calories) from the numbers I used to lose weight.

I hope this helps.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

so...using your example, if this person decided to stop calorie cycling and just everyday eat 1567 --(the number which shows up in the "normal calories" field of the calculator), would they lose, maintain, or gain? sorry, but it's all still muddy to me.
I guess I'll just see what happens when I get to maintenance.

Last edited by LeeMT; 04-12-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
so...using your example, if this person decided to stop calorie cycling and just everyday eat 1567 --(the number which shows up in the "normal calories" field of the calculator), would they lose, maintain, or gain? sorry, but it's all still muddy to me.
I guess I'll just see what happens when I get to maintenance.
Well, I can only go by what would happen to me eating about 1567 calories everyday. I would gain and have done so when doing WW points that added up to about 1600 calories a day. It also caused my metabolism to just about stop. Only with calorie cycling as I do on JUDDD have I "fixed" my metabolism to the point it's acting like it did when I was in my 20s and 30s.

Keep doing JUDDD and you will be in maintenance before you know it!

HTH
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Well, I can only go by what would happen to me eating about 1567 calories everyday. I would gain and have done so when doing WW points that added up to about 1600 calories a day. It also caused my metabolism to just about stop. Only with calorie cycling as I do on JUDDD have I "fixed" my metabolism to the point it's acting like it did when I was in my 20s and 30s.

Keep doing JUDDD and you will be in maintenance before you know it!

HTH
Plus, you want to keep all the other wonderful things associated with JUDDD going on. If you go to "straight" calorie counting, you won't get any of the benefits of intermittent fasting/CR, like the reduction in inflammation, the healing, etc. There are plenty of people who follow JUDDD or other CR/IF programs who have no desire nor need to lose weight. They do it strictly for the longevity and health benefits.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Lee - I'm reading as much as I can about JUDDD to see if I can and how to incorporate with my LC for weight loss.

I'm thinking that the answer to your question is that over a 7 day period at 55% - there would b 4 days @862 cal. and 3 days @ 1567 cal. for a total of 8,149 cal. If the 1567 was eaten every day (7 days) that would be 10,969 cal. Difference of 2,820. What would the total calories weekly needed to maintain weight? It seems that would help determine what % a person could use?

I assume the 2,820 difference is what will 'maintain' Beeb's weight.

Just trying to figure it all out. Just wish I could figure out how to do this and stay low carb.

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Oops, took too long for my post.

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much Beeb and everyone. In a nutshell, I just wasn't sure what "normal calories" meant on the calculator. Apparently it doesn't mean the same as "maintenance calories". Maintenance comes in using both the normal with whatever DD figure one decides on.
I DO plan on staying on JUDDD for life, even when I reach my weight goal, for the added health benefits.

Last edited by LeeMT; 04-12-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Lee, that's right. The "normal" calories on the JUDDD site is actually a bit more than maintenance calories you'd get from other calculator sites. I get around 1420 ish from most calculators, but JUDDD gives me 1560ish.

Make sense?
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote