Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
4 Months on JUDDD Report--very long!

These are just my ruminations and ramblings in my head as I'm reviewing my progress to date. This is more for my own "journaling" than for any feedback, though feedback is certainly appreciated if anyone has tips they want to share!

Today marks 4 full months on JUDDD.

For those who don't know my pre-JUDDD story, I did Atkins off and on for years. I always lost pretty well and fairly easily, but I would get about 30 pounds down, feel totally deprived, have a piece of bread or pizza, and go off the deep end. I can't count how many times I've lost and gained the same 30 pounds.

I went back to Atkins on October 24, 2011. I weighed 277.6 lbs. I lost 12.6 lbs from 10/24/11 to 12/8/11 (at 265 lbs). I decided I was going to start JUDDD on 12/12/11, so I took the weekend off. My daughter's 7th birthday party was that weekend, so I indulged in anything I wanted, though I didn't go crazy wild, stuffing my face, or anything. I did have pizza and cupcakes, etc. I gained the expected few lbs, and started JUDDD on 12/12/11 at 267.8 lbs. I consider this my "JUDDD start weight."

I knew I wanted to have carbs, so I have never done JUDDD low-carb. That was one of the reasons I opted to try JUDDD in the first place. This has been my progress:

12/12 - 01/12 267.8 to 254.0, Lost 13.8 lbs.
01/12 - 02/12 254.0 to 243.0, Lost 11.0 lbs.
02/12 - 03/12 243.0 to 233.4, Lost 9.6 lbs.
03/12 - 04/12 233.4 to 225.6, Lost 7.8 lbs.

As my weight loss slowed, I lowered calories.
12/12 - 01/08 I used 2345/500
01/08 - 02/21 I used 2200/500
02/21 - Present I use 2000/500

However, my weight loss is continuing to slow down. I don't feel right complaining about it since it's still better than some, and I truly do enjoy the freedom of eating this way. I would be lying though if I said I'm happy with the weight loss over the last month.

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism on 3/10 and started medication on 3/11. I do not know if this in any way is affecting my rate of loss. I do not want to keep lowering my calories if I don't have to. I am religious about sticking to my calories. I never go over. My DDs are usually around 350, though I've had some much lower, and completely fasted a couple of times. I have never gone over 500. I've only been over 400 calories 5 times in 4 months.

Here are a few ideas I'm playing with to see if I can increase my rate of loss a little bit, without lowering calories.

1) Take a "maintenance" break. I wonder if I spend a week or two eating at maintenance calories, and then go back to WLM, will it shake things up enough to get the burn to increase?

2) Have a blowout day once or twice a month. Maybe I'm being TOO religious in my counting. I am prone to OCD behaviours and try to nip them in the bud when I recognize them.

3) Wait it out and see what happens. I think this is the "safest" option, but I am not patient, despite my best efforts. I get frustrated and grumpy even though I know I've done really well. I can be a bit of a perfectionist, and when my results are not going as well as they used to, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I cannot complain (even though I do anyway!) about 42 lbs in 4 months on JUDDD. I will never stop JUDDDing. Ever.

At the risk of being redundant, I this forum. I this WOE. I all my new-found JUDDD BUDDDs. You all make this journey so much more enjoyable and I wouldn't have made it this far without you all!

Mushfest over!

ETA, I just went to the calculator, and if I put in my current stats, it gives me: 2138/428.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 04-12-2012 at 10:16 AM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
You are so great!

My opinion on the blowouts is this:
With intermittent fasting we need the famine days (very low calorie), normal days (reasonable maintenance level cal), the occasional full fast day (zero cal, maybe even dry fast), and occasional feast days. This is normal for bodies.
"in the wild" so to speak this is what eating would look like without westernized food. Our bodies aren't made to continually lose at some steady rate, that is just as weird as eating over our needs all of the time with artificially available poor quality foodstuffs.
So have a feast day that is over the top (as long as it doesn't set you off on a string of binges, which of course is less likely with IF since no food is verboten) and have a full fast day once in a while, otherwise keep on with your ocd rotation (you and me both sista).
Keep your eyes on the health prize rather than just the scale (preaching to myself here)!
And add a gentle exercise that will make you happy to keep on firming up.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 04-12-2012 at 10:07 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

Gallery: pocahontas
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
WOW Dawn.. I cant wait to be you in a few more months!! I too understand how you can feel dissapointed at the number when what you have done has produce greater results.. but... have you ever thought about actually increasing your UDs instaed of reducing them to see what that would bring? It was not really one of your choices i see.. So what if the answer to greater loss is.. you got to eat MORE?? just a thought! and WOW im so proud of what you have done so far!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
You are so great!

My opinion on the blowouts is this:
With intermittent fasting we need the famine days (very low calorie), normal days (reasonable maintenance level cal), the occasional full fast day (zero cal, maybe even dry fast), and occasional feast days. This is normal for bodies.
"in the wild" so to speak this is what eating would look like without westernized food. Our bodies aren't made to continually lose at some steady rate, that is just as weird as eating over our needs all of the time with artificially available poor quality foodstuffs.
So have a feast day that is over the top (as long as it doesn't set you off on a string of binges, which of course is less likely with IF since no food is verboten) and have a full fast day once in a while, otherwise keep on with your ocd rotation (you and me both sista).
Keep your eyes on the health prize rather than just the scale (preaching to myself here)!
And add a gentle exercise that will make you happy to keep on firming up.
That's kind of what I was wondering. It makes sense how you put it in context of how our bodies were designed to work.

RE: Exercise, I have been roller skating with my daughter on the weekends and I really love it. With my thyroid, I've been too fatigued the last couple of weekends, but actually had a dream about the roller rink last night, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it. I would also like to start walking outside, but the weather has not been cooperating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
WOW Dawn.. I cant wait to be you in a few more months!! I too understand how you can feel dissapointed at the number when what you have done has produce greater results.. but... have you ever thought about actually increasing your UDs instaed of reducing them to see what that would bring? It was not really one of your choices i see.. So what if the answer to greater loss is.. you got to eat MORE?? just a thought! and WOW im so proud of what you have done so far!!
I have considered upping my calories back to what the calculator says. I'm just so scared to do it! I still struggle with the feeling that this WOE and my results are tenuous--that if I mess up, it's going to ruin all my progress. I know that's crazy, but alas, that's how my brain is wired. I'm trying to work on that.

I may finally be at a point where I'm comfortable with the thought of mixing things up.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

You will figure it out soon i am sure.. I know all to well how food scares me.. So i can relate. Hang in there .. be proud!! and Keep moving forward!!! woo hoo i see a skinny you in the future.. the not so distant one either!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Dawn: Thank you for this post! It's so cool for me to come on and see this. I was going to start a thread today (probably still will) called "Lose-Maintain-Lose".

Won't talk about why here. I will on the thread.

I love your idea of focusing on maintaining what you have achieved for a short while. There is no harm in it and it could be helpful! The reason I say this is that most people know I love Dr. Dukan's book. I learned soooooooooooooo much from that book that I did not know. and, when it comes to dieting and nutrition and working out techniques, I know a lot!

One thing he comes back to and elaborates on over and over is the importance of maintaining our losses as we go along. He even has a time frame! His studies show that when you reach your final goal, you need 5 days of maintenance for every pound you have lost!!

In other words, one reason people who do something like Atkins or WW or anything really where they have success, often end up gaining the weight back quickly is because they don't have a long term plan for maintaining. (sorry that was a confusing sentence!)

He explains scientifically why, after a significant amount is lost, a body will REBEL at some point and work hard to regain the weight. The body "remembers" our highest weight even if we only were that high for one brief moment one morning. He says it takes a certain amount of time for our bodies to "forget" that highest scale number and accept our new low.

Our brain works on us with cravings and negative and impatient thoughts. Our metabolism rebels by doing it's best to slow down and burn less fat. Our hormones rebel by producing grehlin and cortisol. Our stomach grumbles and rumbles demanding attention. Our minds get weary and self-satisfied. "I'm tired of fighting fat! Why me?? Why do I have this battle??? I'm just sick of having to worry about food intake all the time" (weariness) and "Hey, look how much I've lost. Maybe this is enough. It's better than what life was like at my highest weight. I deserve to end this dieting and just enjoy life..." (self-satisfaction).

He said at all costs, avoid weariness and self-satisfaction!

This is the point, when it's obvious our body is ready to rebel. And, this is the point where most people just quit their diet and go back to their old unhealthy, binging type ways and gain all those hard lost pounds back.

I have a whole different outlook nowadays on my losses slowing down. Because I'm tall and have a large muscular frame with broad shoulders and size 11 feet!! I know I look great and feel great at 180. Right now I'm 14 pounds over that.

In August when I started VLC I lost 14 pounds in 10 days!!! My brain teases me and smirks at me and condemns me, "Why can't you just do that right now??"

But I know better. My body is naturally slowing down the loss as I have less to lose. It is "learning to live with loss" so to speak.

OK, I'm going to shut up. This turned into too much introspection.

I just should have said, "You should try relaxing. Eating maintenance calories for a week. If you maintain and don't gain. Relax. Enjoy. Pick up where you left off and you will start losing again. Not as fast as in the beginning. But you will lose. You will win."

I you, Dawn!!! You are such an inspiration to me and to many!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

As always Yamyam
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
You are an inspiration to me!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Dawn, I think you have done so amazingly well!

I completely understand your dissatisfaction with the decreasing numbers. I hope you are able to find the solution that works for you and then share it with all of us!

I was wondering, too, if increasing your UD calories might do something for you? Many here advise not to lower until the weight loss stalls; I know this because I wonder, too, should I start thinking of going lower but I'm going to just stay where I am until things just really get dismal.

Thanks for this post! Very interesting!

Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. - Louis Pasteur
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Clarification BTW: I don't DO the Dukan Diet anymore. It's just that I learned a lot from his book. Hope I did not offend anyone by mentioning that.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I just see you as a JUDDD Hero and that's just fine for me!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
And...just because I decided to go into maintenance doesn't mean my brain allows me to relax and be happy all the time either! I have thoughts that I really should go lower, and just gave up, and the what ifs, like what if I start gaining? I really have to get control of these thoughts and realize that I can at any time go back to my WL rotation! No biggie. I needed this today and you are so right what you said about Dawn. She has all along been an inspiration to me and done fabulously. Thats really good stuff and I am taking it to heart today.

Dawn, I know you will sort all this out soon and end up content just remembering how well you have done and I know we all say this a lot but it really is a life long plan and not a race and how wonderful only "dieting" half the time is! (like Lou said...I'm preaching to myself too). Love and to you today and you too Yam Yam.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Tons of LOVE and to EVERYONE for that matter!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #15

You all seriously lift me up. I think I'm going to have to go touch up my eyeliner!

Yam, I look forward to reading your thread. I'm sure nobody's offended by a Dukan reference here or there.

And . . . 26 more pounds to ONEDERLAND! I have to keep looking forward.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
I think you are doing amazing!! I pray to be down 40+ pounds when I hit 4 months of juddd. Remember that just like how we bounce in weight daily and focus on averages, your average monthly loss is still 10!!!! It's really amazing and fast!
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Dawn, I would honestly up your calories AND have a feast day. My calories are where yours are (approx) and I am still losing weight (and would lose more if I actually didn't keep going over them. ). 500/2000 is approx 1250/day and I feel like that's low for you at 225.6. I think you need to up. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm getting about 2150/450 at 20% w/ no exercise, for you. I might try the numbers you get and see how that goes... I'd also have an UP UP and AWAY day!!!

Don't be afraid because of the thyroid stuff...that will balance out too. It took me probably 8-9 months to find a good balance on meds and have had to change a few times since then. I got mono right around the time I finally got my thyroid meds too...fun. It'll work out!

You should be really proud of yourself. You are doing so, so wonderful!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #18

I'm 39, 5'10", and 225.6 (Unlike Yam-Yam, I have a pretty small build for my height, so I don't carry my weight quite as well.)

Here's what I got from Dr. Johnson's site.

WLM
20% 2136/427
25% 2136/534
30% 2136/641
35% 2136/748

WL/Maintenance
40% 2136/854
45% 2136/961

Maintenance
50% 2136/1068

(I just entered all that on my Kindle too, so it's always with me.)

I wouldn't go over 50% if I decided to do a maintenance week because I'd want to keep the SIRT1s as active as possible.

I really am playing with the idea of a maintenance week, or a free day once in a while or something. It sure would be great if I need to INCREASE calories. I'm not really too far off those numbers now, though, with 2000/500 . . . Hmm, decisions, decisions.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
I don't even know who Dukan is, so ...

Dawn, loved reading about your journey! Although I got the amount of pounds you've lost on JUDDD wrong, I was telling DH about you last night (I told him 51 lbs., but close enough), as well as some other "losers" around here.

I kinda lean towards some of the others - stoke the metabolism fires and up your calories again, maybe just for a few UD's and see what happens. Your body might be adjusting to the lower calories and although far from starvation mode, might be panicking a bit that the food intake is slowing down. Most of us have experienced an all out foodfest, dreading the worst and doing a double take at the lower numbers on the scale. Hope whatever you try works for you.

Congrats on your journey so far and those fabulous losses!

Yam-Yam - great post!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WTG on your journey so far!!! I am sure the pounds will drop in no time.

I have only been doing JUDDD for a short time now, but do you remember back during LC, when once in a great while one would cheap then all of a sudden the whooosh fairy would come! Maybe that could help you here too. And since you can have carbs and things, I dont think it would be as hard with JUDDD to get right back on track. Maybe take a date that is far and few between and say........"ok on this day I shall go FD". Like tomorrow is Friday the 13th, only happens every few months. I dont know just ideas, from my mind back when I LC'd!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
'Free' days always seemed to shake things up and get things moving for me. Stumbled on that rather by accident but even so it was often hard for me to do it thinking it would set me back. But it never did....except for some initial gain that quickly went back down taking some with it.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm 39, 5'10", and 225.6 (Unlike Yam-Yam, I have a pretty small build for my height, so I don't carry my weight quite as well.)

Here's what I got from Dr. Johnson's site.

WLM
20% 2136/427
25% 2136/534
30% 2136/641
35% 2136/748

WL/Maintenance
40% 2136/854
45% 2136/961

Maintenance
50% 2136/1068

(I just entered all that on my Kindle too, so it's always with me.)

I wouldn't go over 50% if I decided to do a maintenance week because I'd want to keep the SIRT1s as active as possible.

I really am playing with the idea of a maintenance week, or a free day once in a while or something. It sure would be great if I need to INCREASE calories. I'm not really too far off those numbers now, though, with 2000/500 . . . Hmm, decisions, decisions.
I too have a smaller frame. I'm jealous of Yam-Yam!

I agree with you about doing "maintenance" for just a week or a free day once in a while. I know you are close with your cals right now, but maybe you need to jumpstart again? I would try upping before you lower. I just love to eat and really hate being restricted...so I always try UP before down.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
All I have to say is that you, YAMYAM and Sungoddess, were my JUDDD heroes when I began. I am so busy in my REAL life that I have no idea much about your personal life and struggles, but I do know that you three were the ones who convinced me that this (JUDDD) is worthy of a once again looksee! God bless you all! Because in my eyes, you three did JUDDD just exactly as it is RX'd and it worked! I will come back to say more on my own personal struggles & triumphs with JUDDD on May 13 which is one month from tomo, but is also when my life finally evolves back to NORMAL! Thank you for reporting on your success thus far!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 04-12-2012 at 06:47 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Sunday: OMGosh!! Who knew that anyone ever even listens to me??? I you for sure! Thanks so much for MAKING MY DAY!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And I mustn't leave out Nancy, Pat, Beeb, & Kissa on the heroes, but my main point is that I am a watcher from afar! What can I say?!?! I have had a history that is longer than most, so I am not going to jump in unless I know I am safe!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I too have a smaller frame. I'm jealous of Yam-Yam!

I agree with you about doing "maintenance" for just a week or a free day once in a while. I know you are close with your cals right now, but maybe you need to jumpstart again? I would try upping before you lower. I just love to eat and really hate being restricted...so I always try UP before down.
Ha!!!! and here's me.... always wishing I did not wear size 11 shoes and being teased by my brothers that I have to buy my shoes at the boat dock..... or that I can water ski without skis.....ha!!!! I always wanted to be tiny and shorter.....and very petite.....but I'm an amazon woman..... who knew it would work in my favor????? hilarious!!! But I do get to eat more....
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Sunday: OMGosh!! Who knew that anyone ever even listens to me??? I you for sure! Thanks so much for MAKING MY DAY!!!
YOU make me smile daily. Even when I can't log on and post, I wake up, log my stats and then I love to read your daily posting! Thank you for sharing YamYam!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
YOU make me smile daily. Even when I can't log on and post, I wake up, log my stats and then I love to read your daily posting! Thank you for sharing YamYam!
Wow, Darlin'. Big tears in my eyes right now. You absolutely made my day. Huge and double to you.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Dawn, you have done so fabulously. WTG!

One option I haven't seen mentioned is upping the DD calories a bit. Actually get to 500. It is a paradox for sure, but I've seen several have better losses with more dd calories. Maybe the stress response has become a bit too strong, and your body is wanting to fight letting go of the weight because of it.

Whatever you do, I don't see how a maintenance week would hurt anything. Give you time to fall back, regroup, breathe a bit, and then plunge back in.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
I'm so happy for you! I lost 97 lbs about 10 years ago, and I know how painful and frustrating stalls are. Everytime I stalled, I would eat nothing but fish for a week and it somehow worked. I ate fish all day long. To this day I can't prepare fish the way I ate it then!

I just started this Juddd, so I have no advice to offer you. I don't know what would break through a stall here. Just want to say good luck!
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote