Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

(I just entered all that on my Kindle too, so it's always with me.)
this is a fascinating thread, and as another newbie, I've got nothing to offer about this WOE, except to say that I agree with others who said, you've lost 40 pounds, your body is adjusting, and the weight loss, on any program, slows down a bit. As Beeb would say (I believe) relax a bit and enjoy the ride.

re: the quote above. How do you enter something on your Kindle? Do you have the Fire? Sorry for the thread-detour, but this made me super curious

also-- I'm totally envious of your height! Just sayin.. from down here (5'5".5, and I'm hanging on to that .5 with all I'm worth!)

hugs!
Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hmm Dawn - interesting dilemma.

My thoughts are - and I know it's been said before - this is not a race!

Yes the 7.8lbs (if I remember rightly) isn't as fast as before - but that's not surprising. But when you consider you're only dieting 50% of the time - that is such a great rate compared to most diets 4months in.

I have had a similar problem recently - although I can't claim to have been as strict as you in my rotations - I was at averaging 10lbs a month - and now, my average is down to approx 7.8lbs per month.

I can't tell you if my week off has helped - because although I only gained a couple of lbs and then lost most of it after first DD - TOM has been visiting since - so hoping for a whoosh soon that will improve my average.

I have been wondering what to do, if I should be doing more, but, it if it isn't broke - why fix it? Painful as it may be - perhaps see what hapens over the next month - if you're weight slows down even more - then perhaps try something. Although I don't think a 'feast day' on an UD will hurt any!!

You are truly inspirational in this journey!!!

Of course, I'm now jealous of you and Yam - I'm only 5'2" - and although I look smaller - I still have loads of lbs to lose before I look good!! Another 8-9" would really go down well!!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
this is a fascinating thread, and as another newbie, I've got nothing to offer about this WOE, except to say that I agree with others who said, you've lost 40 pounds, your body is adjusting, and the weight loss, on any program, slows down a bit. As Beeb would say (I believe) relax a bit and enjoy the ride.

re: the quote above. How do you enter something on your Kindle? Do you have the Fire? Sorry for the thread-detour, but this made me super curious

also-- I'm totally envious of your height! Just sayin.. from down here (5'5".5, and I'm hanging on to that .5 with all I'm worth!)

hugs!
Soren
Thanks everyone for all the support and advice. I'm taking it all under advisement and will keep you updated.

Soren, I have the Kindle Fire, and I downloaded a free notepad application, so I have "sticky notes" where I write things like shopping lists, questions for my next dr. appointment, things like that. I could do it on my phone, but I usually have the Kindle with me and the screen's bigger and easier to use.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Congrats on that amazing loss so far, Dawn! And congrats on 4 months on JUDDD. Like you said, you're in this for life, and so these are just the first "baby steps" into the weight loss and health benefits it will give you over time.

A lot of good advice and things to be considered already given. My thoughts are that your body is "taking a break" from all that hard work it's given you. By taking a break, I don't mean it's stopped losing weight, just that it needs to slow down some to recuperate from losing so much of its "precious" fat stores. Plus, you've had to deal with the thyroid issue and starting a new med.

Anyway, I think that unless you had no loss, that I would try to stick to a higher UD amount so you won't slow your metabolism anymore. If I saw your numbers up there correctly, you can go to about 2100 on UDs, is that right? Try to get up there on UDs, and then choose a DD % you like.

Maybe you need to eat a little more on DDs. Remarkably, some people lose better when they don't fast completely or don't keep to real low DD calories. They lose better when they eat more. And though you've lost very very well with low DDs, things can change as your body changes on this woe, and so you may do better with a little higher DD#. It's worth a little try, anyway.

So, I guess my tip to throw into the bucket is: Experiment with the DD number, but leave your UD number as high as you are able to.

And also, your weight loss, while slower now, is still good loss. It's to be expected that it would slow down some. It may always be slower from this point or it may surprise you and start dropping fast again as you go along. But unless it really starts crawling, I'd try to keep those numbers up there to encourage higher metabolism.

big hugs to you while you figure things out. I know you will. It will just take some fun experimenting. You have lots of time, as you are a JUDDD lifer And as long as you aren't gaining but are losing (even if it's slower than you like at the moment), that's good.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-13-2012 at 06:46 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carla70
Stats: 225/225/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 05/05/2014
Dawn, I haven't read all the posts but read most and wanted to say you are an inspiration to me and one of the reason I saw to give JUDDD a try. Therefore a HUGE (((((THANK YOU))))) is due. You are/have done so well.

I hope you find your magic number or thing that will get you through this. My sister struggles with her thyroid and I know that can cause lots of different things to happen with metabolism and such. You are doing what you need to and staying on top of it.

Stalls are hard, but I have confidence you can get r done!

Last edited by carla70; 04-13-2012 at 06:46 AM..
carla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
ive seen people comment on here that once they went into maintenance that they dropped more...
your body is getting use to your figures... id leave the ud amount and up your dd.
some where i read that you can still burn well at 50/100
half the calories as the ud.
maybe go up to 750/800 on dds? leave the uds since your so good at sticking to your numbers
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
The reason I say this is that most people know I love Dr. Dukan's book. I learned soooooooooooooo much from that book that I did not know. and, when it comes to dieting and nutrition and working out techniques, I know a lot!

One thing he comes back to and elaborates on over and over is the importance of maintaining our losses as we go along. He even has a time frame! His studies show that when you reach your final goal, you need 5 days of maintenance for every pound you have lost!!

In other words, one reason people who do something like Atkins or WW or anything really where they have success, often end up gaining the weight back quickly is because they don't have a long term plan for maintaining. (sorry that was a confusing sentence!)

He explains scientifically why, after a significant amount is lost, a body will REBEL at some point and work hard to regain the weight. The body "remembers" our highest weight even if we only were that high for one brief moment one morning. He says it takes a certain amount of time for our bodies to "forget" that highest scale number and accept our new low.

Our brain works on us with cravings and negative and impatient thoughts. Our metabolism rebels by doing it's best to slow down and burn less fat. Our hormones rebel by producing grehlin and cortisol. Our stomach grumbles and rumbles demanding attention. Our minds get weary and self-satisfied. "I'm tired of fighting fat! Why me?? Why do I have this battle??? I'm just sick of having to worry about food intake all the time" (weariness) and "Hey, look how much I've lost. Maybe this is enough. It's better than what life was like at my highest weight. I deserve to end this dieting and just enjoy life..." (self-satisfaction).

He said at all costs, avoid weariness and self-satisfaction!

This is the point, when it's obvious our body is ready to rebel. And, this is the point where most people just quit their diet and go back to their old unhealthy, binging type ways and gain all those hard lost pounds back.

I have a whole different outlook nowadays on my losses slowing down. Because I'm tall and have a large muscular frame with broad shoulders and size 11 feet!! I know I look great and feel great at 180. Right now I'm 14 pounds over that.

In August when I started VLC I lost 14 pounds in 10 days!!! My brain teases me and smirks at me and condemns me, "Why can't you just do that right now??"

But I know better. My body is naturally slowing down the loss as I have less to lose. It is "learning to live with loss" so to speak.
thank you so much for mentioning the Dukan book. i never heard of it before. i just got it for Kindle and i think it will be very useful to me in my journeys.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #38

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Dawn I know you will choose the right path for you. You are so sensible and such a mentor here.

Love you lady and hope you feel better soon, it is time those drugs started to help your tiredness.

Keep on keeping on.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #39

Thank you! I've decided to be a bit conservative to start and just go back to basics. I'm trying to do exactly the numbers the calculator gives me. It seems to be working.

If I slow down again, I think I'll try either a maintenance week or one higher day and go from there.

I'm sure hoping to get over this fatigue soon. It has gotten a little better, but I ended up spending a good portion of yesterday in bed, just because I was so darn tired! It'll all work out eventually.

Thank you so much everyone for your support, advice, and kindness!

10/24/11 @ 277.6
January 2014 @ 145
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Omg 42 lbs in 4 months, that is soooooo great!. Don't be so hard on yourself you're doing such a great job, we should all do as well as you. I would think that once your thyroid is regulated your weight loss should increase. Even if it stays the same you should feel better and have more energy, which equals more movement, equals more weight loss, yay. It sounds like you still have a nice amount of UD calories to play with and be creative and make lots of yummy recipes. I'm sure we will be hearing about your continued success not to mention all your extra energy.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Don't know how I missed this one - life is just too durned busy these days!

Dawn I think going back to calculated calories is a great idea for you. I even support your going to maintenance levels if you choose to do so.

Your body is going through a lot of physical stress. It is not surprising it is holding weight - it needs more energy. Effectively, your caloric stress response 'set point' may have changed. Meaning the same calories that used to invoke surtuin enzymes may now be below what is needed to avoid the dreaded starvation mode (did that make any sense?). Give yourself some more calories to work with and be patient. You are living in a very disrupted bod right now.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #42

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Nancy. You express yourself so well.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
Dawn,

I was thinking about your significant loss in a short time, and thinking about all of the healing that takes place in different bodily systems when that happens--maybe your whole self needs a bit of time to catch up?
Lianora Mosswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #44

You are wise women, and I have no idea what I'd do without you all. Lianora, I know what you say is true, intellectually, but I have zero patience. I'm working on it.

Nancy, as usual your wisdom and way with words is very calming and soothing. Of course you're right.