Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Down Days are becoming killer for me!

I actually upped my DDs to 550 (they were 500) and my stomach is still eating itself by noon! I try to split up the day into 1/3, and eat an even amount of calories 3x per day, but I'm still having the growly stomach at noon and 3:00, and if I gave into the growlies I'd be out of cals by 1:00! I drink a lot of water but it doesn't seem to help...I actually dread getting out of bed on DDs lately. My first 3 DD were fine as I made up a big skillet of fried cabbage and nibbled through out the day, I'm so sick of cabbage though. i'm thinking exercise might help, getting out of the house keeps my mind off food, I have been trying to go out and do chores on DDs now just to keep my mind off food.

Sorry about the whining...I've lost 6 pounds so far so I should not be whining but the darn hunger on DDs is keeping me from enjoying this WOE.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
What are you eating? Post a average day's menu and let's see if we can help you.

DD are not the funnest days but they shouldn't be as hard as you are stating here. Maybe you just need more protein/fat/grains to make up your calories and give you a "fuller" feeling.

Hope we can help!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have my food diary at home (getting the car inspected as I type this ) but will post my last 3-4 DD menus. I do really need more fat in my diet, that I am sure of. It may be a bit psychological too, I see all the high calorie food I can't eat that day and want it, so it makes me hungry for what I can't have.

Last edited by Becky; 04-12-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i definitely need more protein to stay feeling full. a good way ot get the portien up with few calories is egg beaters.

a nice meal high in protein, low in cals is 1/2 cup egg beaters, 60cals, 2oz canned chicken 60cals (cans are convenient for me), 1 laughing cow wedge, 35 cals....i like the queso fresco ones. this is a nice sized omelet for 155 cals and 25g of protein.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeeMT
Start Date: April 4, 2012
Bummer. You're into JUDD a week more than I am, and tough to hear DD don't get easier. I agree more protein makes DD bearable. My suggestions are to drink hot tea or coffee which absolutely help. Also hunger seems to feel more miserable in the late afternoon, so try to save your calories for later.
I think the one thing that has made my DD bearable more than anything is no television. If I am home I just listen to music or an audio book. The TV stays off. Consider moving up to 600 calories on DD. A one hundred calorie change is nothing, and will make a miniscule difference in your weight loss.
LeeMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Some people are able to handle DDs from day one. Some of us need time to allow the sirtuin enzymes to kick in before DDs become NBD. Many/most of us find DDs do get better.

When you get home, post your menus and we will gladly try to help. Please include a few UD menus. Especially at first, what you eat on UD can impact DD.

It really is important to plan low-cal foods that include protein and fats. Over time you will figure out the balance you need on DD.

And there is nothing wrong with starting your DDs at 600 or 700 or 800 cals. You are making an adjustment not torturing yourself. Many of us started high (or started low, screamed, cried, threw things, and decided if we were going to be able to do this woe we had to begin at higher) and worked our way down (while losing). Where DDs are concerned, you do not have to begin at the end ... you just have to arrive.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Becky, take the suggestions of easing into the low DDs to heart and try it. I've had no problem with DDs but I could never just jump right into induction on Atkins without feeling like absolute dog doo for the first week. I had to ease into it gradually over a period of three weeks or so. So everyone IS a little different and you just need to be good to yourself and find what works for YOU.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I'm 3 months in and my down days are getting harder too. I lost really well the first 2 months but the scale hasn't budged in a month even though I'm a religious calorie counter and have faithfully stuck to my numbers. I'm not discouraged though because I'm really happy eating this way - even with the growlies. What I've decided to do is embrace the growlies. This is the first time in years I've even truly felt hunger. That's why I'm fat in the first place. I indulged every little hunger pang or ate often enough to never have a hunger pang. Even on up days I get the growlies because I don't eat between meals. I know it's hard to walk around feeling like your stomach is eating your backbone but just know that you are not alone. I'm so so happy for my JUDDD buds who don't have hunger issues and I look forward to being one of them someday. But for today I have the growlies and am determined to embrace them as just part of the path I'm on.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I'm 3 months in and my down days are getting harder too. I lost really well the first 2 months but the scale hasn't budged in a month even though I'm a religious calorie counter and have faithfully stuck to my numbers. I'm not discouraged though because I'm really happy eating this way - even with the growlies. What I've decided to do is embrace the growlies. This is the first time in years I've even truly felt hunger. That's why I'm fat in the first place. I indulged every little hunger pang or ate often enough to never have a hunger pang. Even on up days I get the growlies because I don't eat between meals. I know it's hard to walk around feeling like your stomach is eating your backbone but just know that you are not alone. I'm so so happy for my JUDDD buds who don't have hunger issues and I look forward to being one of them someday. But for today I have the growlies and am determined to embrace them as just part of the path I'm on.
To say we don't have hunger issues is not really true. I'm not sure if any of us JUDDD BUDDDs, in all honesty, can say we love DDs and are not hungry. I'm hungry almost every DD but it's just how it goes and I know it's there for a reason. Without those DDs JUDDD can't work it's magic and it becomes just another low calorie WOE that just didn't work for me (think WW).

I have hungry issue. I want to eat. It's a fact of life, and even on UDs, but at some point I knew I needed to embrace this issue, as you have, and just go with it!

Does it get easier? Well, it just gets better, that is all I can say!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Where DDs are concerned, you do not have to begin at the end ... you just have to arrive.

LOVE this post!

I too was one who tried JUDDD twice before with 500 calorie down days and just could not hack it. I was beyond miserable. I decided to give it one more go--in my perfectly imperfect way--and try 800 calorie down days with up days just slightly below what they should be. Still a 1000 calorie swing between the down and up days.

The result? I've lost just over 5 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm having the same WEEKLY amount of calories I was before but the UD/DD pattern tripled my loss from straight calorie counting.

I completely agree with Beeb too. I am hungry on my down days, but it is something that is now doable, if not always pleasant, for me. It is NOT the soul crushing experience I felt on my 500 days. And it is actually getting easier. I'm still having the 800, but I'm not as hungry as I was at the beginning.

Most importantly . . . I know that I will **arrive** following this way.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
For me, protein on DD's is very key. I have at least 6oz. More if it's shrimp or fish or another very low-cal protein.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
To say it does or does not get easier..... I am into my 6 th week here... And IMHO. It is about the mental challange for me.. how strong am I??? I do not eat on a DD. I am one who drinks 4cups of Coffee with Creamer for a total of 120 calS and i never dreamed i could ever go a day with out food.. Well i prove to my self every other day that i can!! And i enjoy that feeling of hungar.. for its somthing ive never ever felt in years past.. IF i drink enough water when that feeling comes,, and keep putting it in.. it does subside.. and have found when i tryed to eat only 500 cals that was harder for me! Food set my tummy in motion to receive more and more and more!! So .. for me.. LESS is so best at keeping that hungar monster at bay. (not patting my self on my back by this post either) I just wanted to share my feelings on DD hungar issue and how i handle it.
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here are a few of my DD "menus":

Orange (60)
3 baby carrots (10)
Salad dressing, Italian (80)
Small head lettuce (30)
Hard boiled egg (70)
Chicken broth (10)
1 cup strawberries (50)
2 cheese nips (5)
Chicken noodle soup (150)

HB egg (70)
Lollipop (15)
Yogurt (80)
Bread & butter (100)
Strawberries, little more than 1 cup (70)
Coffee (30)
Tiny spoon of ice cream (15)
Chicken broth (5)
Soup (150)

My other DDs are pretty much the same, some have another coffee but in general I've been eating basically the same stuff. I very much need more fat! HB eggs make me hungrier I have found. The bacon I like is only 70 cals per 4 pieces so that will be added in. I also should add in my first love...broccoli (and zucchini) as they have minimal calories for larger portions. I think I'll add in more baby carrots as they keep my hands busy and ten of them only has about 35 calories.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
LOVE this post!

I too was one who tried JUDDD twice before with 500 calorie down days and just could not hack it. I was beyond miserable. I decided to give it one more go--in my perfectly imperfect way--and try 800 calorie down days with up days just slightly below what they should be. Still a 1000 calorie swing between the down and up days.

The result? I've lost just over 5 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm having the same WEEKLY amount of calories I was before but the UD/DD pattern tripled my loss from straight calorie counting.

I completely agree with Beeb too. I am hungry on my down days, but it is something that is now doable, if not always pleasant, for me. It is NOT the soul crushing experience I felt on my 500 days. And it is actually getting easier. I'm still having the 800, but I'm not as hungry as I was at the beginning.

Most importantly . . . I know that I will **arrive** following this way.
My UDs are 1700 so maybe I should up my DDs to 700, that would make my DDs much more bearable! i'll do a 600 tomorrow and see how that feels and go from there.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I'm on week 9 and I stll have trouble on DDs! But, I'm a hungry little bugger. I knew they'd be a problem.

More protein is a good idea. I also find that veggies are good for me. I'll buy a bag of precut broccoli/cauli and eat a bowl on my DDs. I put them in the microwave with a little water and voila! You have to eat it kind of slow and it does fill you...1/4 bag is 25 cals. So, technically, you could even have a second serving for a total of 50 cals. NOT BAD.

I also try to hold off eating breakfast for as long as possible on DDs, which is tough because I am STARVING in the mornings always. I drink tea and try not to think about it. I usually can make it to 9-10am. Then lunch at like 2pm. I usually only have 2 meals/day on DDs, but if I need extra, I'll have the veggies at night.

I also just started buying chicken fillets (they cut them thin for you) and cook those on my foreman grill w/ a little salt and pepper. For 120 cals, it is satisfying, goes great with veggies, and gives me the lean protein that helps me feel full.

Chips and good, fresh salsa is also a last resort!

Oooh, and the other day, I had a salad of basically lettuce, but with full fat dressing (but I just dip my fork in, so really didn't eat that much) and because it took so long to eat, I was pretty full by the end.

And also wanted to add that I have 600-800 cal DDs usually. Sometimes, I've gone lower, but most of the time, I am within the above range.

Last edited by DD80; 04-12-2012 at 09:20 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
IMO.. What i see here is sugar. which burns up faster and leave you feelign the need to feed more.. My sister was having the same kind of menu as you have there, and could not make it thru the day at worka t all,, she has now switched to things like Chicken breast, peanutbutter off the spoon.. and at dinner has cooked veggys like brocoli and now is able to make it thru her down days as where before all the sugar made it impossible for her to get thru her day. this is just my oppionion of course.. im sure some other more experienced JUDDD BUDDDs can help you much better than I BEst of luck dear i hope ya can get it figured out soon for yourself love ya!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Personally, I'd drop the sweets on DD's since they can cause hunger and cravings. Have more protein, more veggies and limit the fruits/sweets
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/186/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Here is a menu that works well for me on DD for around 491 calories

BREAKFAST BURRITO
50 CAL LOWCARB TORTILLA
2 EGG WHITES 34
SALSA 10

LUNCH
CHEESE SANDWICH AND SALAD
2 PIECES LIGHT BREAD 90 (45 EA)
FF CHEESE 30
MUSTARD 5
1 OZ LETTUCE 5
1 DILL PICKLE 5

SALAD
3 OZ OF LETTUCE 15
1 OZ GRAPE TOMATOES 5 (ABOUT 4)
1 OZ RED BELL PEPPER 7
WALDEN FARMS BACON RANCH DRESSING 0

DINNER
1 CAN PROGRESSO LIGHT SOUP 140
OPEN FACE CHEESE TOAST BREAD 45 FF CHEESE 30

SNACK
SF JELLO 10

Good luck!
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
I'm very new at this, so take it for what it's worth...

Based on my responses to food in general, I agree that the sugar is probably working against you - it's not giving your body any actual nutrients, so it's screaming for what it craves. Plus it's probably wreaking havoc with your insulin levels, which would lead to hunger. Also, for me, the longer I put off my first meal (other than coffee, of course! ), the fewer hours I feel hunger. As soon as I eat, it seems to wake up my stomach for the rest of the day.

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth. Get moving now!" ~ My friend Carl's FB status

This one's for DJ.
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll nix the sugar and add in more protein, I've been working on a list of foods that will fit the bill, but will also up my DDs to 600, I'll still be hungry but hopefully it will be bearable. I'm also going to try and stay busy, if I'm busy food is the last thing on my mind. Thank you all for your responses!! they were very helpful...that is one reason I adore this board!!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
Another suggestion for dropping sugars including high sugar fruits like oranges.... Try low carb fruit like strawberries and if you need something sweet non fat Greek yogurt with stevia vanilla and cinnamon.... Very good.

I fast till lunch. I am a night eater and I need all of my calories at night. I started at 500 but was not losing fast enough... I dropped to 390 and whoosh pound away.

Drink hot tea with stevia in the morning and try to save your calories till lunch and dinner. Don't be scared to experiment. Keep shifting until you find your dd rythym.

Loving Life with JUDDD and my bouncy chart!
" I'm like a rubber ball, Baby that's all that I am to you
(Bouncy, bouncy) (bouncy, bouncy)" - Bobby Vee
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Personally, I'd drop the sweets on DD's since they can cause hunger and cravings. Have more protein, more veggies and limit the fruits/sweets
and TOTALLY agree with those saying drop the "sweet" stuff. Lean protein, veggies, lower sugar fruits, good grains. These are the things that keep up full longer and help make us healthy. Also, put off eating until you REALLY have to. Listen to your body, not your head and it will tell you when it REALLY needs to eat. I can go until 3 pm now with touching a bite but after that I'm crazy hungry so I make sure I eat when that first "it's REALLY time to eat, Linda" signal starts.

I would be hungry eating your menu, to tell the truth. I need "bulk" in the way of veggies and some grains to keep me going on DDs.

Last edited by Beeb; 04-12-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
I agree with everyone- sugar makes any day harder bc it induces cravings- maybe add a huge scoop of fiber to a protein smoothie?

I am finding my UD calories feel like nothing. I really hope this gets easier bc I am already at 1550 today and feel like I could eat so much more!
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Something that really helps me and is only 5 calories is Wyler's instant broth...chicken or beef. It is kind of salty, but I actually like it that way. And lately I've been adding 1/2 tsp. powdered Coffeemate for another 5 calories.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have fewer hunger pangs on DD's than I do on UD's. And
i eat the same menu every DD lately
Menu
B - 2 eggs cooked in 1 t coconut oil (180)
L - Progresso soup with shirataki rice (180)
D - usually am not hungry but sometimes have a cup of broth and/or 10 raw baby carrots if I want to chew on something
broth (5) carrots (35)
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Lots of great advice here!!!

I agree too.....drop the sugar....it will kick off the elephants in a china shop feeling with wanting more sugar!

I also went and got fiber capsules from walmart. Just the cheapy Equate brand. I only take them on DD's. I can stay fuller longer if I spread out the 6 pills they say to take (I only take 3 though). The side effect on UD's is quite nice though....bernice...lol!!! I make sure I drink lots and lots of water too. Maybe something like that can help you too! It doesnt hurt to have more fiber in your everyday meals anyways! The bottle cost me like $3 bucks!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
You've gotten great advice on dropping the sugar. Beef up that salad with more veggies for bulk, and maybe a few shrimp, or some thin-sliced deli lunchmeat.

But also look at your UD's. If you are eating much the same, just more, you are not getting enough protein and fat to fuel your body through your dd. And the sugar (whether from fruits or treats) can cause cravings and hunger the next day as well.

I think it's wise to up those DD cals a bit until you get things figured out. And you will!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I love cabbage... my boyfriend does not like when i eat it

I have been sauteing zucchini with some spray olive oil, garlic and onion powder and salt. saute about 3 on a DD and snack throughout the day. Lean protein is always good. I also like strawberries... seem to help me.
I drink Diet Mt. Dew and Diet Dr. Pepper as well- not for everybody though...
chicken broth with a few grinds of my spicy garlic grinder is my FAVORITE!!

I hope this does get easier for you!!
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
I love cabbage... my boyfriend does not like when i eat it

I have been sauteing zucchini with some spray olive oil, garlic and onion powder and salt. saute about 3 on a DD and snack throughout the day. Lean protein is always good. I also like strawberries... seem to help me.
I drink Diet Mt. Dew and Diet Dr. Pepper as well- not for everybody though...
chicken broth with a few grinds of my spicy garlic grinder is my FAVORITE!!

I hope this does get easier for you!!
Spicy garlic grinder? Details, please.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
I have been sauteing zucchini with some spray olive oil, garlic and onion powder and salt. saute about 3 on a DD and snack throughout the day.
You know what else is good...take the zucchini and spray with olive oil and put some sprinkles of paramsan (sp?) cheese on top, little garlic, and broil til the cheese gets crunchy!!! YUMM-O!!!!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote