Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
LOL I first started building my own stacks back when the "recipe" was on a usenet
group- bodybuilding, I believe! There was nothing clandestine about procuring your
ephedra; you just walked into the store, picked up the box, took it to the check-out
and paid. No scanning ID or keeping it hidden behind the pharmacy counter in those
days! I might increase the frequency of my stacking- it's cheaper than food, right??
Thanks for the links!
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
They don't scan for IDs here, I order mine online from a supplement store and I get several months worth at a time with no issues. I don't think you can do that in the US though, you guys have a max per month you can get right? That would make it more difficult!

Just make sure to increase your dosages slooooooowly or you'll for sure not be sleeping for weeks
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #63

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
They hide it behind the pharmacy counter, and you have to ask a pharmacist for
it, then they scan your license (I don't know what they do if you don't drive?) and
make you pay right there- you can't carry it to the front and pay at the check-out
with the rest of your purchases. If you're finished shopping, you can pay for all your
purchases in the pharmacy. They make methamphetamine out of it, so it's limited
for the law-abiding citizens. The criminals must have a way of getting around this,
though, because I think it takes a lot of ephedra to make some meth??

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess they could always get it from Canada where there are no limits!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I've never seen the EC stack stuff. I wouldn't sleep for months. LOL. I've been completely caffeine free for over 10 years, so it wouldn't take much to send me to the moon.

It sounds really hard on the adrenals though.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's not really since it's just fixing an adrenal issue that most obese people have, for sure if you're not overweight then you probably don't have the adrenal issue that an EC stack would help with.

From the link I posted earlier:
Quote:
"Unfortunately the "adrenal exhaustion" theory also perpetuates prejudice against obese people because it ignores the fact that, in addition to subnormal noradrenaline release by the nerve endings of the sympathetic nervous system, obese people also release insufficient adrenaline from the adrenal medulla: "Another abnormality being noted with increasing frequency in human obesity is reduced adrenaline (Ad) levels in plasma, both at rest or in response to a stimulus such as physical activity" (17). By the way, this adrenaline deficiency persists even if you lose weight (18, 19-NA), setting the stage for the inevitable regain.

Thus, although ECA causes the adrenal medulla to release more adrenaline, this is actually just bringing us up to a more normal level. Although some herb sellers talk about "stressing" the adrenals, the reality is that ECA merely normalizes this biochemical imbalance. At any rate, undaunted by the fact that obesity researchers have never found a single incidence of "adrenal exhaustion" in all their studies on ECA, the herbalists started selling a variety of herbs to "protect" your adrenals."
Quote:
By 1986, after decades of animal research, Dulloo and Miller had clearly established that obese humans suffered from a noradrenaline deficiency that could be corrected by the ephedrine/caffeine combination:

"It would seem that a deficiency of NA [noradrenaline] due to reduced SNS [sympathetic nervous system] activity, rather than an insensitivity to NA, is primarily responsible for the apparently higher efficiency of energy utilization in the obese or post-obese. The present study shows that this situation may be relieved by sympathomimetic drugs like the ephedrine methylxanthines [caffeine] preparation which normalizes their subnormal thermogenic response to food . . . Such ephedrine/methylxanthine preparations could be useful as aids in the treatment of obesity" (24).
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #67

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm obese and I can't even look at ephedra without getting heart palpitations! I can't even take cold medicine without my heart racing and I take a beta-blocker. But . . . caffeine does not affect me that way.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm obese and I can't even look at ephedra without getting heart palpitations! I can't even take cold medicine without my heart racing and I take a beta-blocker. But . . . caffeine does not affect me that way.
I had to start with a really low dose, and even then I got hand jitters and uncontrollable energy bursts... I would take a half dose a day, then two half doses a day, then 3 half doses a day... then one full dose and 2 half doses etc moving up when the side effects subsided, it took me about a month to build up to full doses. Now though, the ephedrine does absolutely nothing to me, I take 3 full doses a day and no more jitters. Researchers say though that while you desensitize to the jittery effects, the fat burning continues or is increased the longer you take it, so you end up with a fat burning supplement without the side effects. You do seem to be doing MORE than fine without it though Your losses are fantastic!

They do say though that it's not for everyone, I probably wouldn't have tried it if I had any sort of heart condition or if I actually used my asthma inhaler more than once in a blue moon.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #69

Thanks for the info. I do have a heart condition, so I couldn't ever take an EC stack, but it's interesting to read about anyway.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Actually recent studies have concluded that up to 6 cups of coffee per day is perfectly fine for most folks, and is also good for you health, and helps stave off several diseases, including diabetes and parkinsons.
Please post links to said recent studies NOT financed by coffee companies. I drink coffee, but only one cup a day. I refuse to believe a diet high in caffeine is good for any human being. Common sense says drink more water. So would your doctor.
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #71
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
No, actually it was my doctor who suggested that I increase my consumption of coffee (all caffeine) to help spur my metabolism because he says that with someone who is 'otherwise healthy' (i.e., other than my very slow metabolism) increased caffeine is no problem. And it hasn't been for me.

I'm 70, and since I'm hypothyroid, I have my labs done every 4 months, and my blood values are all superb--as is my blood pressure.

He recommended tcaffeine and exercise for my metabolic issues, both of which I have been doing for the past 3 years, and I think my stats speak for themselves. Black coffee and green tea were my DD 'staples.'
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
Please post links to said recent studies NOT financed by coffee companies. I drink coffee, but only one cup a day. I refuse to believe a diet high in caffeine is good for any human being. Common sense says drink more water. So would your doctor.
There are lots of papers, presentations, and studies out there now showing the benefits of coffee. It sure helps me with my down days!!

1. Gold LS, Ames BN, Slone TH. Misconceptions about the causes of cancer. In: Paustenbach D, ed. Human and Environmental Risk Assessment: Theory and Practice. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons; 2002:1415-60.

3. Vinson JA. The potential health benefits of antioxidants. Presented at the 230th meeting of the American Chemical Society. August 28, 2005. Washington, DC.

4. Clifford MN. Chlorogenic acids and other cinnamates - nature, occurrence and dietary burden. J Sc Food Agric. 1999 Mar 1;79(3):362-72.

6. Andersen LF, Jacobs DR Jr, Carlsen MH, Blomhoff R. Consumption of coffee is associated with reduced risk of death attributed to inflammatory and cardiovascular diseases in the Iowa Women's Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 May;83(5) 1039-46.

7. Wu J, Ho SC, Zhou C, et al. Coffee consumption and risk of coronary heart diseases: a meta-analysis of 21 prospective cohort studies. Int J Cardiol. 2009 Nov 12; 137(3):216-25.

8. Mukamal KJ, Hallqvist J, Hammar N, et al. Coffee consumption and mortality after acute myocardial infarction: the Stockholm Heart Epidemiology Program. Am Heart J. 2009 Mar;157(3):495-501.

9. Wilson KM, Kasperzyk JL, Rider JR. Coffee consumption and prostate cancer risk and progression in the health professionals follow-up study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011 Jun 8;103(11):876-84.

10. Li J, Seibold P, Chang-Claude J. Coffee consumption modifies risk of estrogen-receptor negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2011 May 14;13(3):R49.

11. Inoue M, Yoshimi I, Sobue T, Tsugane S, JPHC Study Group. Influence of coffee drinking on subsequent risk of hepatocellular carcinoma: A prospective study in Japan. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Feb;97(4):293-300.

12. Huxley R, Lee CM, Barzi F, et al. Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea consumption in relation to incident type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Dec 14;169(22):2053-63.

13. Rosengren A, Dotevall A, Wilhelmsen L, Thelle D, Johansson S. Coffee and incidence of diabetes in Swedish women: a prospective 18-year follow-up study. J Intern Med. 2004 Jan;255(1):89-95.

14. Tuomilehto J, Hu G, Bidel S, Lindstrom J, Jousilahti P. Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among middle-aged Finnish men and women. JAMA. 2004 Mar 10;291(10):1213-9.

15. Corrao G, Zambon A, Bagnardi V, D'Amicis A, Klatsky A. Coffee, caffeine, and the risk of liver cirrhosis. Ann Epidemiol. 2001 Oct;11(7):458-65.

16. Gallus S, Tavani A, Negri E, La Vecchia C. Does coffee protect against liver cirrhosis? Ann Epidemiol. 2002 Apr;12(3):202-5.

17. Klatsky AL, Morton C, Udaltsova N, Friedman GD. Coffee, cirrhosis, and transaminase enzymes. Arch Intern Med. 2006 Jun 12;166(11):1190-5.

18. Maia L, de Mendonça A. Does caffeine intake protect from Alzheimer's disease? Eur J Neurol. 2002 Jul;9(4):377-82.

19. Butt MS, Sultan MT. Coffee and its consumption: benefits and risks. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2011 Apr;51(4):363-73.

20. Arendash GW, Cao C. Caffeine and coffee as therapeutics against Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20 Suppl 1:S117-26.

21. Zhang Y, Lee ET, Cowan LD, Fabsitz RR, Howard BV. Coffee consumption and the incidence of type 2 diabetes in men and women with normal glucose tolerance: The Strong Heart Study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011 Jun;21(6):418-23.

22. Danaei G, Finucane MM, Lu Y, et al. National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2.7 million participants. Lancet. 2011 Jul 2;378(9785):31-40.

23. International Diabetes Federation. Presidential address ahead of New Diabetes Atlas, 5th Edition. Presented at European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) 47th annual meeting. September 13, 2011. Lisbon, Portugal.

24. van Dam RM, Willett WC, Manson JE, Hu FB. Coffee, caffeine, and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study in younger and middle-aged U.S. women. Diabetes Care. 2006 Feb;29(2):398-403.

25. Johnston KL, Clifford MN, Morgan LM. Coffee acutely modifies gastrointestinal hormone secretion and glucose tolerance in humans: glycemic effects of chlorogenic acid and caffeine. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Oct;78(4):728-33.

26. Hemmerle H, Burger HJ, Below P, et al. Chlorogenic acid and synthetic chlorogenic acid derivatives: novel inhibitors of hepatic glucose-6-phosphate translocase. J Med Chem. 1997 Jan 17;40(2):137-45.

27. Greer F, Hudson R, Ross R, Graham T. Caffeine ingestion decreases glucose disposal during a hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp in sedentary humans. Diabetes 2001 Oct;50(10):2349-54.

28. Arnlov J, Vessby B, Riserus U. Coffee consumption and insulin sensitivity. JAMA. 2004 Mar 10;291(10):1199-201.

29. Fleming DJ, Jacques PF, Dallal GE, Tucker KL, Wilson PWF, Wood RJ. Dietary determinants of iron stores in a free-living elderly population: the Framingham Heart Study. Am J Clin Nutr 1998 Apr;67(4):722-33.

30. Jiang R, Manson JE, Meigs JB, Ma J, Rifai N, Hu FB. Body iron stores in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in apparently health women. JAMA. 2004 Feb 11;291(6):711-7.

32. Loopstra-Masters RC, Liese AD, Haffner SM, Wagenknecht LE, Hanley AJ. Associations between the intake of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee and measures of insulin sensitivity and beta cell function. Diabetologia. 2011 Feb;54(2):320-8.

33. Call R, Grimsley M, Cadwallader L, et al. Insulin - carcinogen or mitogen? Preclinical and clinical evidence from prostate, breast, pancreatic, and colorectal cancer research. Postgrad Med. 2010 May;122(3):158-65.

35. Bageman E, Ingvar C, Rose C, Jernstrom H. Coffee consumption and CYP1A2 genotype modify age at breast cancer diagnosis and estrogen receptor status. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Apr;17(4):895-901.

37. Galeone C, Turati F, La Vecchia C, Tavani A. Coffee consumption and risk of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of case-control studies. Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Nov;21(11):1949-59.

38. Michels KB, Willett WC, Fuchs CS, Giovannucci E. Coffee, tea, and caffeine consumption and incidence of colon and rectal cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Feb 16;97(4):282-92.

39. Giovannucci E. Meta-analysis of coffee consumption and risk of colorectal cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 1998;147(11):1043-52.

40. Lee KJ, Inoue M, Otani T, Iwasaki M, Sasazuki S, Tsugane S. Coffee consumption and risk of colorectal cancer in a population-based prospective cohort of Japanese men and women. Int J Cancer. 2007 Jun 1;121(6):1312-8.

41. Oba S, Shimizu N, Nagata C, et al. The relationship between the consumption of meat, fat, and coffee and the risk of colon cancer: a prospective study in Japan. Cancer Lett. 2006;244(2):260-7

43. Tavani A, Bertuzzi M, Talamini R, et al. Coffee and tea intake and risk of oral, pharyngeal and esophageal cancer. Oral Oncol. 2003;39(7):695-700.

44. Rodriguez T, Rodriguez T, Altieri A, et al. Risk factors for oral and pharyngeal cancer in young adults. Oral Oncol. 2004;40(2):207-13

46. Shimazu T, Tsubono Y, Kuriyama S, et al. Coffee consumption and the risk of primary liver cancer: Pooled analysis of two prospective studies in Japan. Int J Cancer. 2005 Aug 10;116(1):150-4.

47. Ohfuji S, Fukushima W, Tanaka T, et al. Coffee consumption and reduced risk of hepatocellular carcinoma among patients with chronic type C liver disease: A case-control study. Hepatol Res. 2006 Nov;36(3):201-8.

48. Tanaka K, Hara M, Sakamoto T, et al. Inverse association between coffee drinking and the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma: a case-control study in Japan. Cancer Sci. 2007 Feb;98(2):214-8.

49. Kurozawa Y, Ogimoto I, Shibata A, et al. Coffee and risk of death from hepatocellular carcinoma in a large cohort study in Japan. Br J Cancer. 2005 Sep 5;93(5):607-10.

50. Inoue M, Yoshimi I, Sobue T, Tsugane S. Influence of coffee drinking on subsequent risk of hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective study in Japan. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Feb 16;97(4):293-300.

51. Montella M, Polesel J, La Vecchia C, et al. Coffee and tea consumption and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in Italy. Int J Cancer. 2007 Apr 1;120(7):1555-9.

52. Gallus S, Bertuzzi M, Tavani A, et al. Does coffee protect against hepatocellular carcinoma? Br J Cancer. 2002 Oct 21;87(9):956-9.

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-18-2012 at 04:15 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
I also asked my doctor about coffee on my last visit, she said that 4 cups per day is just fine as long as you are healthy. This was before I started drinking coffee, she did say to nix the Diet Pepsi though due to the chemicals in that junk (I still drink it on occasion though).

Look up health benefits of coffee, there are tons of articles. Webmd and mayoclinic both have good information but there are literally tons of sites that have information. The only thing that they advise against is unfiltered coffee drinking because it can raise your cholesterol, usually only French Press coffee is unfiltered and even when I buy my French Press I'll be passing the coffee through a paper filter pre drinking.

I think each individual needs to choose for themselves what they decide to ingest and how it will effect them, plain water makes me despirately hungry but coffee, tea and Diet Pepsi all keep my hunger at bay so those are my beverages of choice (I would like to nix the soda though). I do drink about 20oz of plain water per day but any more and I'm ravenous.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
There are lots of papers, presentations, and studies out there now showing the benefits of coffee. It sure helps me with my down days!!

1. Gold LS, Ames BN, Slone TH. Misconceptions about the causes of cancer. In: Paustenbach D, ed. Human and Environmental Risk Assessment: Theory and Practice. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons; 2002:1415-60.

3. Vinson JA. The potential health benefits of antioxidants. Presented at the 230th meeting of the American Chemical Society. August 28, 2005. Washington, DC.

4. Clifford MN. Chlorogenic acids and other cinnamates - nature, occurrence and dietary burden. J Sc Food Agric. 1999 Mar 1;79(3):362-72.

6. Andersen LF, Jacobs DR Jr, Carlsen MH, Blomhoff R. Consumption of coffee is associated with reduced risk of death attributed to inflammatory and cardiovascular diseases in the Iowa Women's Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 May;83(5) 1039-46.

7. Wu J, Ho SC, Zhou C, et al. Coffee consumption and risk of coronary heart diseases: a meta-analysis of 21 prospective cohort studies. Int J Cardiol. 2009 Nov 12; 137(3):216-25.

8. Mukamal KJ, Hallqvist J, Hammar N, et al. Coffee consumption and mortality after acute myocardial infarction: the Stockholm Heart Epidemiology Program. Am Heart J. 2009 Mar;157(3):495-501.

9. Wilson KM, Kasperzyk JL, Rider JR. Coffee consumption and prostate cancer risk and progression in the health professionals follow-up study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011 Jun 8;103(11):876-84.

10. Li J, Seibold P, Chang-Claude J. Coffee consumption modifies risk of estrogen-receptor negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2011 May 14;13(3):R49.

11. Inoue M, Yoshimi I, Sobue T, Tsugane S, JPHC Study Group. Influence of coffee drinking on subsequent risk of hepatocellular carcinoma: A prospective study in Japan. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Feb;97(4):293-300.

12. Huxley R, Lee CM, Barzi F, et al. Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea consumption in relation to incident type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Dec 14;169(22):2053-63.

13. Rosengren A, Dotevall A, Wilhelmsen L, Thelle D, Johansson S. Coffee and incidence of diabetes in Swedish women: a prospective 18-year follow-up study. J Intern Med. 2004 Jan;255(1):89-95.

14. Tuomilehto J, Hu G, Bidel S, Lindstrom J, Jousilahti P. Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among middle-aged Finnish men and women. JAMA. 2004 Mar 10;291(10):1213-9.

15. Corrao G, Zambon A, Bagnardi V, D'Amicis A, Klatsky A. Coffee, caffeine, and the risk of liver cirrhosis. Ann Epidemiol. 2001 Oct;11(7):458-65.

16. Gallus S, Tavani A, Negri E, La Vecchia C. Does coffee protect against liver cirrhosis? Ann Epidemiol. 2002 Apr;12(3):202-5.

17. Klatsky AL, Morton C, Udaltsova N, Friedman GD. Coffee, cirrhosis, and transaminase enzymes. Arch Intern Med. 2006 Jun 12;166(11):1190-5.

18. Maia L, de Mendonça A. Does caffeine intake protect from Alzheimer's disease? Eur J Neurol. 2002 Jul;9(4):377-82.

19. Butt MS, Sultan MT. Coffee and its consumption: benefits and risks. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2011 Apr;51(4):363-73.

20. Arendash GW, Cao C. Caffeine and coffee as therapeutics against Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20 Suppl 1:S117-26.

21. Zhang Y, Lee ET, Cowan LD, Fabsitz RR, Howard BV. Coffee consumption and the incidence of type 2 diabetes in men and women with normal glucose tolerance: The Strong Heart Study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011 Jun;21(6):418-23.

22. Danaei G, Finucane MM, Lu Y, et al. National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2.7 million participants. Lancet. 2011 Jul 2;378(9785):31-40.

23. International Diabetes Federation. Presidential address ahead of New Diabetes Atlas, 5th Edition. Presented at European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) 47th annual meeting. September 13, 2011. Lisbon, Portugal.

24. van Dam RM, Willett WC, Manson JE, Hu FB. Coffee, caffeine, and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study in younger and middle-aged U.S. women. Diabetes Care. 2006 Feb;29(2):398-403.

25. Johnston KL, Clifford MN, Morgan LM. Coffee acutely modifies gastrointestinal hormone secretion and glucose tolerance in humans: glycemic effects of chlorogenic acid and caffeine. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Oct;78(4):728-33.

26. Hemmerle H, Burger HJ, Below P, et al. Chlorogenic acid and synthetic chlorogenic acid derivatives: novel inhibitors of hepatic glucose-6-phosphate translocase. J Med Chem. 1997 Jan 17;40(2):137-45.

27. Greer F, Hudson R, Ross R, Graham T. Caffeine ingestion decreases glucose disposal during a hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp in sedentary humans. Diabetes 2001 Oct;50(10):2349-54.

28. Arnlov J, Vessby B, Riserus U. Coffee consumption and insulin sensitivity. JAMA. 2004 Mar 10;291(10):1199-201.

29. Fleming DJ, Jacques PF, Dallal GE, Tucker KL, Wilson PWF, Wood RJ. Dietary determinants of iron stores in a free-living elderly population: the Framingham Heart Study. Am J Clin Nutr 1998 Apr;67(4):722-33.

30. Jiang R, Manson JE, Meigs JB, Ma J, Rifai N, Hu FB. Body iron stores in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in apparently health women. JAMA. 2004 Feb 11;291(6):711-7.

32. Loopstra-Masters RC, Liese AD, Haffner SM, Wagenknecht LE, Hanley AJ. Associations between the intake of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee and measures of insulin sensitivity and beta cell function. Diabetologia. 2011 Feb;54(2):320-8.

33. Call R, Grimsley M, Cadwallader L, et al. Insulin - carcinogen or mitogen? Preclinical and clinical evidence from prostate, breast, pancreatic, and colorectal cancer research. Postgrad Med. 2010 May;122(3):158-65.

35. Bageman E, Ingvar C, Rose C, Jernstrom H. Coffee consumption and CYP1A2 genotype modify age at breast cancer diagnosis and estrogen receptor status. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Apr;17(4):895-901.

37. Galeone C, Turati F, La Vecchia C, Tavani A. Coffee consumption and risk of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of case-control studies. Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Nov;21(11):1949-59.

38. Michels KB, Willett WC, Fuchs CS, Giovannucci E. Coffee, tea, and caffeine consumption and incidence of colon and rectal cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Feb 16;97(4):282-92.

39. Giovannucci E. Meta-analysis of coffee consumption and risk of colorectal cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 1998;147(11):1043-52.

40. Lee KJ, Inoue M, Otani T, Iwasaki M, Sasazuki S, Tsugane S. Coffee consumption and risk of colorectal cancer in a population-based prospective cohort of Japanese men and women. Int J Cancer. 2007 Jun 1;121(6):1312-8.

41. Oba S, Shimizu N, Nagata C, et al. The relationship between the consumption of meat, fat, and coffee and the risk of colon cancer: a prospective study in Japan. Cancer Lett. 2006;244(2):260-7

43. Tavani A, Bertuzzi M, Talamini R, et al. Coffee and tea intake and risk of oral, pharyngeal and esophageal cancer. Oral Oncol. 2003;39(7):695-700.

44. Rodriguez T, Rodriguez T, Altieri A, et al. Risk factors for oral and pharyngeal cancer in young adults. Oral Oncol. 2004;40(2):207-13

46. Shimazu T, Tsubono Y, Kuriyama S, et al. Coffee consumption and the risk of primary liver cancer: Pooled analysis of two prospective studies in Japan. Int J Cancer. 2005 Aug 10;116(1):150-4.

47. Ohfuji S, Fukushima W, Tanaka T, et al. Coffee consumption and reduced risk of hepatocellular carcinoma among patients with chronic type C liver disease: A case-control study. Hepatol Res. 2006 Nov;36(3):201-8.

48. Tanaka K, Hara M, Sakamoto T, et al. Inverse association between coffee drinking and the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma: a case-control study in Japan. Cancer Sci. 2007 Feb;98(2):214-8.

49. Kurozawa Y, Ogimoto I, Shibata A, et al. Coffee and risk of death from hepatocellular carcinoma in a large cohort study in Japan. Br J Cancer. 2005 Sep 5;93(5):607-10.

50. Inoue M, Yoshimi I, Sobue T, Tsugane S. Influence of coffee drinking on subsequent risk of hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective study in Japan. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Feb 16;97(4):293-300.

51. Montella M, Polesel J, La Vecchia C, et al. Coffee and tea consumption and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in Italy. Int J Cancer. 2007 Apr 1;120(7):1555-9.

52. Gallus S, Bertuzzi M, Tavani A, et al. Does coffee protect against hepatocellular carcinoma? Br J Cancer. 2002 Oct 21;87(9):956-9.
EXCELLENT!!!!! makes me adore my coffee even more!!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I found the website you copy/pasted that from and it also included a list of negative effects from coffee. It's not as bad as they used to think it was, but it's still bad for some people.

Coffee Cons

1. Heart disease. This is somewhat controversial. Most prospective cohort studies haven't found that coffee consumption is associated with significantly increased risk of cardiovascular disease. On one hand, diterpenes cafestol and kahweol present in unfiltered coffee and caffeine each appear to increase risk of coronary heart disease. High quality studies [6] have confirmed the cholesterol-raising effect of diterpenes. Also, coffee consumption is associated with an increase of plasma homocysteine, a risk factor for coronary heart disease.

On the other hand, a lower risk of heart disease among moderate coffee drinkers might be due to antioxidants found in coffee.

2. Cholesterol. Heavy consumption of boiled coffee elevates blood total and LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels [7]. Unfiltered coffee contains two cholesterol-raising compounds cafestol and kahweol.
3. Blood vessels. Coffee negatively affects the blood vessel tone and function.
4. Heart rhythm disturbances. Coffee can cause rapid or irregular heartbeats (cardiac arrhythmias).
5. Blood pressure. Although coffee drinking is not a significant risk factor for hypertension, it produces unfavorable effects on blood pressure [8] and people prone to hypertension may be more susceptible. Recent Italian study found that coffee drinking can slightly increase the risk for development of sustained hypertension in people with elevated blood pressure.
6. Osteoporosis. Coffee intake may induce an extra urinary excretion of calcium. Heavy coffee consumption (600 ml or more) can modestly increase the risk of osteoporosis, especially in women with a low calcium intake [9].
7. Heartburn. A cup of coffee can trigger the heartburn.
8. Sleep. Most are aware of the stimulatory effects of caffeine. High amounts of caffeine taken before going to sleep can cause difficulty falling asleep, tendency to be awakened more readily by sudden noises, and a decreased quality of sleep. However, some people can drink coffee and fall right asleep.
9. Dehydration. The caffeine in coffee is a mild diuretic and can increase urine excretion. This effect may be easily neutralized by drinking an extra glass of water.
10. Dependence. Although "generally recognized as safe" by the FDA, caffeine is still a drug, a mild central nervous system stimulant, and it produces dependence. Caffeine withdrawal is a real syndrome. You may get a few days of headache and irritability if you choose to quit drinking coffee, however, it is relatively easy to break this habit, and most people are not addicted to caffeine.

SO, coffee isn't exactly "good" for everyone, which was my point all along. It also stains your teeth and gives you bad breath. My DH had such severe arrhythmia from drinking too much coffee that he had to quit. I think MODERATION is key! Like all good health advice, don't deny yourself but don't overdo it either. I love my cup of java in the am but I would never EVER tell someone to drink many cups a day just so they can lose weight.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aarosali
Stats: 172.4/172.4/150's 5'9"
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 3/25/12
You've received great advice from our fellow JUDDD BUDDDs. I'm also a newbie and I stay away from sugar on my DDs. I stick to basic protein like eggs and grilled chicken and large salads with a low fat dressing. Every once in awhile, I'll have carbs on my DD like a piece of bread, or potato chips.
aarosali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #77
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
I found the website you copy/pasted that from and it also included a list of negative effects from coffee. It's not as bad as they used to think it was, but it's still bad for some people.

Coffee Cons

1. Heart disease. This is somewhat controversial. Most prospective cohort studies haven't found that coffee consumption is associated with significantly increased risk of cardiovascular disease. On one hand, diterpenes cafestol and kahweol present in unfiltered coffee and caffeine each appear to increase risk of coronary heart disease. High quality studies [6] have confirmed the cholesterol-raising effect of diterpenes. Also, coffee consumption is associated with an increase of plasma homocysteine, a risk factor for coronary heart disease.

On the other hand, a lower risk of heart disease among moderate coffee drinkers might be due to antioxidants found in coffee.

2. Cholesterol. Heavy consumption of boiled coffee elevates blood total and LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels [7]. Unfiltered coffee contains two cholesterol-raising compounds cafestol and kahweol.
3. Blood vessels. Coffee negatively affects the blood vessel tone and function.
4. Heart rhythm disturbances. Coffee can cause rapid or irregular heartbeats (cardiac arrhythmias).
5. Blood pressure. Although coffee drinking is not a significant risk factor for hypertension, it produces unfavorable effects on blood pressure [8] and people prone to hypertension may be more susceptible. Recent Italian study found that coffee drinking can slightly increase the risk for development of sustained hypertension in people with elevated blood pressure.
6. Osteoporosis. Coffee intake may induce an extra urinary excretion of calcium. Heavy coffee consumption (600 ml or more) can modestly increase the risk of osteoporosis, especially in women with a low calcium intake [9].
7. Heartburn. A cup of coffee can trigger the heartburn.
8. Sleep. Most are aware of the stimulatory effects of caffeine. High amounts of caffeine taken before going to sleep can cause difficulty falling asleep, tendency to be awakened more readily by sudden noises, and a decreased quality of sleep. However, some people can drink coffee and fall right asleep.
9. Dehydration. The caffeine in coffee is a mild diuretic and can increase urine excretion. This effect may be easily neutralized by drinking an extra glass of water.
10. Dependence. Although "generally recognized as safe" by the FDA, caffeine is still a drug, a mild central nervous system stimulant, and it produces dependence. Caffeine withdrawal is a real syndrome. You may get a few days of headache and irritability if you choose to quit drinking coffee, however, it is relatively easy to break this habit, and most people are not addicted to caffeine.

SO, coffee isn't exactly "good" for everyone, which was my point all along. It also stains your teeth and gives you bad breath. My DH had such severe arrhythmia from drinking too much coffee that he had to quit. I think MODERATION is key! Like all good health advice, don't deny yourself but don't overdo it either. I love my cup of java in the am but I would never EVER tell someone to drink many cups a day just so they can lose weight.
OK, got a ? here. Does decaf count here or is these benefits from regular coffee alone? Very curious about this, TIA for the answers!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
OK, got a ? here. Does decaf count here or is these benefits from regular coffee alone? Very curious about this, TIA for the answers!
Beeb, google Life Extension coffee's unique benefits.

Oh and I wanted to point out that I also am not telling anyone they should drink many cups a day so they can lose weight. I was just pointing out that there are some studies indicating benefits for some people.

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-18-2012 at 11:02 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #79
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sungoddess- I think 'some people' is the key, as you point out. There are people who cannot tolerate caffeine but, as I tried to point out by citing my doctor's advice, for other people, caffeine is a good thing.

I don't drink coffee to 'lose weight' either--to lose weight (and maintain) I restrict my calories and eat low carb. My point is solely that for me, caffeine has been an asset in weight loss. Eating mainly protein on DDs has probably helped me even more.

We are all unique, and what works for one person may not work for others, but by sharing our personal experiences, others may get tips that help them.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #80
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I too like to weigh the pros and cons of coffee. I quit last week but after doing some research and reading up, I decided to go back to my morning coffee. I only drink it in the morning before breakfast. It is also very helpful when I have a migraine. Those blood vessels constricting can be a good thing on those days.

And I also agree that each person is a unique individual. Nothing is black and white. Gray in many areas. Everyone needs to make their own decisions based on how they feel and react to coffee. If I can't sleep I drink coffee so it certainly doesn't wind me up and make me hyper.

That said, I have fasted (except for one cup of coffee with HWC) for the past two DD's. Water the rest of the day. I am going to continue trying it this way for a week or so and maybe longer. I have no health issues and made it through those two DD's with no problems. Dr. J didn't think anyone would actually fast on DD's so he did not write the plan as such. BUT he said that it would be more beneficial so I am giving it a go.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I too like to weigh the pros and cons of coffee. I quit last week but after doing some research and reading up, I decided to go back to my morning coffee. I only drink it in the morning before breakfast. It is also very helpful when I have a migraine. Those blood vessels constricting can be a good thing on those days.
I have tried to quit too but I love my morning coffee before breakfast too! It definitely helps me wake up. And I LOVE the taste!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #82

I agree that moderation is the key if you haven't been advised by a doctor to have more than a few cups of coffee per day. Most of what I've read indicates anything between 1-4 cups is fine, even beneficial to most people. I have 2 good sized cups in the morning, sometimes one in the afternoon. I don't get jittery, and it does help with my appetite.

I have also done some research because my daughter likes coffee. She went through a phase where she wanted a cup or so a week. Everything I read said that coffee is fine for children, much better in fact than sodas or even a lot of the juices. The biggest concern I saw in that regard was the parents getting their children frappes and mochas and the risk of weight gain from the added calories. Keira doesn't really ask for coffee that much anymore, but she loves plain black iced tea and I feel much better giving her that than something loaded with sugar.

Just my two cent's.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
I grew up drinking coffee at my grandmother's table. Of course, it was half coffee and half milk with some sugar added. As an adult I didn't really start drinking coffee until a couple of years ago and couldn't understand why coffee never tasted as good as Grandma's. Come to find out she made it so strong you could stand a spoon in it! LOL! So I have to go bold now. But I love, love, love my morning coffee.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I agree that moderation is the key if you haven't been advised by a doctor to have more than a few cups of coffee per day. Most of what I've read indicates anything between 1-4 cups is fine, even beneficial to most people. I have 2 good sized cups in the morning, sometimes one in the afternoon. I don't get jittery, and it does help with my appetite.

I have also done some research because my daughter likes coffee. She went through a phase where she wanted a cup or so a week. Everything I read said that coffee is fine for children, much better in fact than sodas or even a lot of the juices. The biggest concern I saw in that regard was the parents getting their children frappes and mochas and the risk of weight gain from the added calories. Keira doesn't really ask for coffee that much anymore, but she loves plain black iced tea and I feel much better giving her that than something loaded with sugar.

Just my two cent's.
Whenever I make my coffee, my 15 year old autistic son comes running in to the kitchen and wants to help, he could actually make it for me but I watch him carefully. He always wants a couple of spoonfills for himself! I did make him a half cup once with only Stevia in it (he has to stay away from milk) and he drank the whole thing. I think he likes it beause I use the hazelnut flavored beans. My grandma (when she was still with us) and mom both drink the black bitter stuff, mom let me try it a couple times when I was a kid and it was just too darn strong! She still drinks it way too strong for my liking and she says mine tastes like a vanilla shake from McDonalds!

If calories were not an issue with me I'd live off lattes!! Y.U.M!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #85

I started drinking coffee when I was around 8-10. I've always liked it strong and black. I kept being warned it would stunt my growth. Um, yeah, didn't happen.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Actually recent studies have concluded that up to 6 cups of coffee per day is perfectly fine for most folks, and is also good for you health, and helps stave off several diseases, including diabetes and parkinsons. Caffine has no effect on me at all, doesn't wake me up or make me jittery at all so I'm not worried at all for myself....there are tons of worse "drugs" to be addicted to. JMO. If it wern't for coffee, I'd be miserable on DDs and would probably give up on this WOE. I was constantly hungry too on DD....before I started with my 4 cups of coffee per day, It made my last DD totally tolerable, we'll see about tomorrow.
I have only shared my experience with the cool appitite supressing qualitys of coffee to help those who chose to listen to some thing new perhaps that may help,, i dont belive that all things we read are BLACK OR WHITE they do have both pro's and Cons but its to each his own! .. I truly dont care for the way people in genral will take a peice of information and run with it as if it were gospel....If we all took the advise over one site or one person i dont belive any of us would be doing this WOE in the first place.. I mean after all Doc johnson is a plastic surgeon. These are just my oppionions and we all have them,, hope that no one person or persons are offended by what i chose to belive about the bennifts of coffee and how it has helped me! to all JUDDD BUDDDS.. this was certainly an informative thread~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 04-19-2012 at 06:34 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #87

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
Yogurt makes me hungrier I swear & I bet the Orange would too.

I upped my dd calories to about 600 and it's helped a TON. The scale is even moving again too.
Momto2boysNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
I'm conflicted about coffee as well. I actually gave it up 2 years ago and my skin looks awesome now. I read all sorts of conflicting data but the two main reasons I avoid it are due to the incredibly high amount of chemicals/toxins from pesticides (I suppose organic coffee would remedy this though) and the fact that many coffee sources employ unfair labor conditions and pay. I think Starbucks is all fair trade, which is awesome. Bottom line is that you can find data on either side of the coin.

I so totally miss my morning iced coffee with coconut milk and peppermint extract though! Would kill my appetite until dinner too.
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Quote:
My other DDs are pretty much the same, some have another coffee but in general I've been eating basically the same stuff. I very much need more fat! HB eggs make me hungrier I have found. The bacon I like is only 70 cals per 4 pieces so that will be added in. I also should add in my first love...broccoli (and zucchini) as they have minimal calories for larger portions. I think I'll add in more baby carrots as they keep my hands busy and ten of them only has about 35 calories.
This jumped out at me, and I didn't read the posts after that, so I'm sure you got advice on how to do that on a DD. I need fat, too, and the sugary stuff, even in the natural foods (carrots), may be not the best.

I try to put off eating anything until the afternoon but do have coffee - with cream during the day. And none of that half-n-half stuff, either. I also use reduced sodium chicken broth with a tsp. of cream thrown in. Strained full fat Dannon yogurt is what I adore and have some of my own little mixture in the afternoons.

Proteins do squat for me in the way of keeping me satisfied - it's fat, baby! I try to stay around 500 calories on my DD, give or take a few, and fat is very much worked in. When I did JUDDD a few years ago, I wasn't low carb and boy, oh, boy my DD's sometimes very difficult. For me, they are much more manageable keeping my food lower carb.

So, work that fat in on your DD's!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #90
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I just started drinking coffee from being a BIG tea drinker. I have found that it really does help on DDs for curbing my appetite and I like some of the coffees out there, especially the flavored one. I don't do sugar/sweetener in anything, even my tea or coffee, but do have to have low fat half and half or cream (UDs). I also drink mostly decaf with a bit of regular thrown in there and my DD says decaf is NOT a good thing so I'm always conflicted about what I should be drinking. Regular coffee keeps me up at night, even if I stop drinking it hours before bed. Tea, I could drink a pot right before bed and sleep like a baby!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote