Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mztymarie
Stats: 230/192/180/165
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 13 2012
Is JUDD better with LowCarb or better than a LC diet?

I did some research on this diet and im interested. Ive been doing a self modified version of Atkins and ive lost about 35 lbs so far, but Im at a stall and I want to mix things up a bit. Can someone just briefly explain how many cals on up days, down days, and what you eat? Why did you choose this diet over anyother?I work out 4-6 days a week if that matters at all lol.
mztymarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
There's a link to the calculators. However, if you let us have your height, weight & age - we should be able to give your numbers. The fact that you work out could be taken into account on the calculators - but most of us choose not to eat back the calories that we may have burnt when exercising. However, if you are training very hard - you may need higher DD cals - then recommended. It will be a bit hit & miss to start with - until you work out your plan.

As for whether this works better low carb or not - I suppose that depends on your body. Many people have continued the low carb woe with JUDDD, others have not and have also been successful.

Why did I choose this WOE - well my mother was very successful on it. I wanted to lose weight and whilst I hadn't been low carbing recently - I couldn't bear the idea of giving up things I enjoy - like soy & linseed bread, the odd scone - sushi etc. I loved the idea of dieting onlly 50% of the time.

For me JUDDD is totally freeing - I can eat exactly what I want and I lose weight - so long as I honour my calories. I probably need to honour them a bit better than I have been - but that's okay, still losing, just slower.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
I love JUDDD for the most part but do struggle a bit with DDs, I want to get back to low carbing, high carbs just don't agree with me, no matter how happy I feel after eating that cupcake. I'm working on making a list of low carb, low cal, foods for down days (up days will not be an issue for low carb). My cals are: 550 DD, and 1,700 UD, but yours will be different depending on height, weight, how strict you want to be....etc....
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mztymarie View Post
I did some research on this diet and im interested. Ive been doing a self modified version of Atkins and ive lost about 35 lbs so far, but Im at a stall and I want to mix things up a bit. Can someone just briefly explain how many cals on up days, down days, and what you eat? Why did you choose this diet over any other?I work out 4-6 days a week if that matters at all lol.
I chose this WOE for the freedom to be able to have anything I wanted, PLUS it is a WOE that is very doable for the rest of my life.

If Atkins is working for you, even with a stall (which BTW is only a stall if it's 6 weeks or more of no loss of weight or inches) than why not stick to it? And your DD/UD calories will be different than others so I suggest you go here and figure them out: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...lculators.html

There are health benefits to every WOE, we just need to pick the one that fits us the best. JUDDD fits me the best!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 04-12-2012 at 06:06 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeeMT
Start Date: April 4, 2012
It's just my opinion, but I believe combining LC with JUDD defeats the whole purpose of JUDDD. I love this way of eating entirely because of the freedom of the up days. My feeling is if one is going to do low carb, then just do low carb. Why combine the restrictions of a low carb diet with adown days? It just doesn't make sense to me. Again, just my opinion.
LeeMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
It's just my opinion, but I believe combining LC with JUDD defeats the whole purpose of JUDDD. I love this way of eating entirely because of the freedom of the up days. My feeling is if one is going to do low carb, then just do low carb. Why combine the restrictions of a low carb diet with adown days? It just doesn't make sense to me. Again, just my opinion.
For me low carb is better for my body, I have physical symptoms when eating high carb, so I know my body hates it....BUT other than the inital woosh of 8-10 pound loss during induction on low carb I never lose anything else, just maintain, I believe I need low carb and low calorie. But I would also like to "cheat" (on low carb) every now and again and that is acceptable on JUDDD without gaining 5 pounds overnight. I would not be strictly Atkins, but would keep my carb grams under 30-40 per day.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mizbooth
Stats: 223/210/150
WOE: Atkins 02/21/2012
Start Date: JUDDD 04/06/2012
I'm with you LeeMT! The main reason I switched is because of the freedom of up days! I've done LC on and off for years and always felt deprived and was never able to stick to that WOE for lasting results. This is my 6th day on JUDDD and the scale has wobbled a bit, but no real loss yet. I was doing a very low carb version of Atkins for 6 wks prior to starting JUDDD, so I imagine it's going to take a little while for my body to adjust to this WOE.
mizbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamilda
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 8/09/11 Atkins @ 270
I too did lc for years on and off and while I did pretty well with it for a certain period of time, I would inevitably stall or regain the weight. Having insulin sensitivity issues and pcos along with a family history of heart disease, I still believe lc to be my woe for life. I started the JUDDD woe because I read mounds of studies and info that touted its health benefits. So far I am a happy camper and I think being lc helped with the induction period of JUDDD and the cravings and appetite that most JUDDDers face when beginning. To each his own. Whatever works for each individual, etc.
Tami
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
I hear ya' loud and clear and agree! While I tend to normally choose low or moderate carbs, I do love a yummy real dessert now and then, pizza with REAL crust, rice as a side, etc. I've had several high carb choices in the last three weeks since I've changed my way of life/eating and it hasn't hurt me at all. Knowing I *can have anything really takes all of the longing and 'seduction' out of the way, in my experience.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Let's see. I know about JUDDD and believed in it - both for weight and for health. I just figured I could not do it. Until, over a period of four years, LC stalls and failed alternate WOEs and deteriorating health led me to believe it was my best chance.

It was. It is. It will continue to be.

I too had a badly broken carb-processing mechanism. So I stayed LC at first then very, very slowly began experimenting with carbs. If I reacted badly to, say, a small potato then I waited two weeks and tried another. After four months the carb spike-high/drop-collapse is long gone and, as far as I can tell by my body's reactions, carbs are just another food now.

So, I began because I was desperate.

Plus, I love to cook desserts for friends & family. And you can't prepare food without checking flavors before committing . Can't sample ganache on LC.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
As far as the question of 'is it better to LC or not LC on JUDDD' ... THAT will depend on how YOUR body reacts to foods. And, as healing happens, even that may change over time. JUDDD does not care.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
As far as the question of 'is it better to LC or not LC on JUDDD' ... THAT will depend on how YOUR body reacts to foods. And, as healing happens, even that may change over time. JUDDD does not care.
Miss Nancy, you are very wise!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
I eat 1976 of yummy food one day and 390 cals of low carb food the other. Dd are easier when they are low carb as sugar is my tigger food.

I stalled for two months and was going to throw the towel in. I was frustrated that I could not eat what I wanted and I was stuck at 188. I was also eating some 2500 calories every day an di am sorry, but even low carbing, excess calories add up. It is an Atkins myth that you can eat whatever you want in high quantities.... Bowulf has a great Atkins YouTube video blog on it. He lost over 80 pounds on Atkins.

Juddd gives me back the food I want. I lost 8 pounds last month doing Juddd. Give it a month and see if you like it.

Loving Life with JUDDD and my bouncy chart!
" I'm like a rubber ball, Baby that's all that I am to you
(Bouncy, bouncy) (bouncy, bouncy)" - Bobby Vee
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Welcome, mztymarie!! Love your curls!! I'm a curly girl and thank goodness for the Curly Girl book - I finally learned to love my waves/curls. Most days.

As to the other discussions about whether or not to mix lc with JUDDD, obviously it's a personal preference. After reading so much about what (bad) carbs do to us, I'm trying to keep lc'ing along with JUDDD. I'm discovering I may not be eating enough calories on my UD's so that just means I get to up my fats a bit more and throw in some extra good carbs.

For me, I would gorge on the carby stuff I'm trying to steer clear of on an UD, because that's what I would want. Donuts, candy, cookies, chips, etc.. Low carb keeps me so much more satisfied, especially on a DD. When I did JUDDD a few years back, I wasn't low carb and did lose weight eating aforementioned donuts, candy, cookies, chips, etc. I don't have the self-control to stay away from the bad carbs. Give me a cookie anyday over whole wheat toast.

That said, I will have a small piece of cake or a cookie on a special occasion. I'm just trying to pick and choose which carbs I eat overall. But ... Heaven help whoever tries to keep pecan pie from me on the holidays. Those carbs are all good, I don't care what anybody says.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I don't know which one is better for YOU, but I do know what is better for ME!

So, we'll just stick with the latter part.

I feel that JUDDD is better than LC (or even LF) because...

1) I can eat whatever I want within my calorie limits. No, i don't go hog wild, but simply having this freedom is quite liberating! No longer want things simply because I can't have them. Anything is an option, so I am in control for once.

2) On LC or LF my weight loss always ended up coming to a screeching halt, as it does with many people. But, so far so good, and I'm losing steadily (except for my run in with splenda last week, but now that's over and I'm losing again.) Yes, I'm only on week three, but just look around. Do you see people posting about YEAR LONG stalls? (ie as seen on other boards?) No, you don't.

As for mixing it up, is JUDDD LC better than just JUDDD? I don't know. You'll have to experiment and see!!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mztymarie View Post
I did some research on this diet and im interested. Ive been doing a self modified version of Atkins and ive lost about 35 lbs so far, but Im at a stall and I want to mix things up a bit. Can someone just briefly explain how many cals on up days, down days, and what you eat? Why did you choose this diet over anyother?I work out 4-6 days a week if that matters at all lol.
JUDDD isn't really a diet, in my mind, at least. You choose a diet- choose lowcarb, lowfat, high protein, pescatarian, paleo, vegan, all raw, whatever.... That's your diet.

JUDDD is the schedule- just outlines when to eat, and how many calories before you stop. What you eat is entirely dependent upon the diet you choose.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Heaven help whoever tries to keep pecan pie from me on the holidays. Those carbs are all good, I don't care what anybody says.
I agree!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
I am almost finished with 2 week 1972 Atkins induction. If I start on the dd/up rotation, will I need to do the JUDDD induction of shakes, etc.?

I went back to 72 induction because weight wasn't coming off. i've determined that I am one that NEEDS LC for my RA, but also can't lose without the calorie restrictions.

Thanks Pami for this -- it cleared up a lot for me.

Quote:
JUDDD isn't really a diet, in my mind, at least. You choose a diet- choose lowcarb, lowfat, high protein, pescatarian, paleo, vegan, all raw, whatever.... That's your diet.

JUDDD is the schedule- just outlines when to eat, and how many calories before you stop. What you eat is entirely dependent upon the diet you choose.
dutzie

Last edited by Dutzie; 04-12-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
JUDDD doesn't require shakes for the induction period. Some use them as it's easier, but I didn't. ALL 400 of my DD calories come from solid food.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
lol, there she is.....
eat one day drink the other haha
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
lol, there she is.....
Now that's an idea! *figures how many bourbons she can have for 500 calories*

synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post

That is a great way to phrase it! It truely is customizable.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post

Well said! Sometimes it seems folks still get confused no matter how we explain JUDDD, and this just makes it very clear.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Intermittent fasting is about when you eat and the quantities, not which foods you choose.
The food choices you make have to be personal. It appears that a lot of us are naturally moderate carb eaters after years of diets/lowcarbing/etc. The paleo or primal crowd are naturally modcarb as well.
I try to make 99% of my food choices based on nutrition I know I need for my health issues, things that make me feel better all of the time.
It has taken years of serious work for me to sort out the foods that are beneficial for me: switching over my kitchen, growing and shopping habits, we buy half a grassfed beef once a year, that sort of thing.
IMO you have to sort out what is best for you and that is rarely based on what is working for someone else (although we can be good influences on eachother and introduce friends to new wholesome choices). If you don't eat processed foods much at all your diet is going to be lower carb without effort. The processed foods in my house are: glucomannan powder (just a powdered dried root), 100% cacao organic chocolate and cocoa, organic erythritol (natural low glycemic sugar alcohol), stevia extract (I can make it myself), liquor, wholemeal spelt flour, some nut flours, and organic quinoa pasta. I guess nut butters are technically processed too by the grinding, and I do buy pb2 defatted peanut flour. Organic yogurt and cheese? Not really processed foods. Not exactly a huge list. I did eat a few cadbury eggs over easter...but that is once a year
As my son said to me yesterday "the way you and da eat is difficult to sustain", primarily because he is military and in a very urban area. But even my foodie sons work really hard at eating whole, real, organic, pastured, and local. Every one of those choices took time and effort to make, but they feel it is worth it for long term health and ethics. It all happens one baby step at a time.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 04-13-2012 at 11:53 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
lol, there she is.....
You crack me up Jamie! You been watching me?

Lots of people make JUDDD and LC work for them with wonderful success.

Me, I eat everything, with equally wonderful success. And, after 11 years on Atkins, that is a blessing. Also, my health's just great.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mztymarie
Stats: 230/192/180/165
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 13 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Intermittent fasting is about when you eat and the quantities, not which foods you choose.
The food choices you make have to be personal. It appears that a lot of us are naturally moderate carb eaters after years of diets/lowcarbing/etc. The paleo or primal crowd are naturally modcarb as well.
I try to make 99% of my food choices based on nutrition I know I need for my health issues, things that make me feel better all of the time.
It has taken years of serious work for me to sort out the foods that are beneficial for me: switching over my kitchen, growing and shopping habits, we buy half a grassfed beef once a year, that sort of thing.
IMO you have to sort out what is best for you and that is rarely based on what is working for someone else (although we can be good influences on eachother and introduce friends to new wholesome choices). If you don't eat processed foods much at all your diet is going to be lower carb without effort. The processed foods in my house are: glucomannan powder (just a powdered dried root), 100% cacao organic chocolate and cocoa, organic erythritol (natural low glycemic sugar alcohol), stevia extract (I can make it myself), liquor, wholemeal spelt flour, some nut flours, and organic quinoa pasta. I guess nut butters are technically processed too by the grinding, and I do buy pb2 defatted peanut flour. Organic yogurt and cheese? Not really processed foods. Not exactly a huge list. I did eat a few cadbury eggs over easter...but that is once a year
As my son said to me yesterday "the way you and da eat is difficult to sustain", primarily because he is military and in a very urban area. But even my foodie sons work really hard at eating whole, real, organic, pastured, and local. Every one of those choices took time and effort to make, but they feel it is worth it for long term health and ethics. It all happens one baby step at a time.
Thanks so much for this! And all of you! This has reallly given me an insight on what i need to do.
Im not sure what is going to work for me in the long run but right now I am out of my platau *sp* and back to losing lbs!

I've also been swimming instead of only doing cardio which may have something to do with it Buuuut.... Im extremely excited and I believe im in love with the combination of LC and JUDDD!!
mztymarie is offline   Reply With Quote