Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I feel light!

This morning I finally got my rear in gear and went to the gym!!

I did 60 minutes of high intensity cardio on the Precor Elliptical machine (wearing 10 pounds in my weight vest) and then 45 minutes of strength training.

Seriously, I felt so light!! Even wearing the extra 10 pounds. I have not worked out in weeks and have lost about 6 pounds since the last time I did the elliptical.

And, I kept looking at myself in the mirror while I was working out and thinking, dang, Girl! You look so different!

This was such a good thing for me to do today because the scale she has been a bouncin' . I know I'm retaining fluid this week because my rings are not as loose as usual and my ankles look a tad bit puffy.

Even with all that, I am grateful to see the changes in my body.

JUDD rocks!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
WTG, Yam Yam!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
whoo hoo for youuu !! I wish i could get my dang butt in gear... got the machine set up now for over a year and have yet to get on! ughh
:
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Woot!!

I should get back to the gym. Walking is well and good but it's not getting my heartrate up near where it should be. You're inspiring me!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I wear my HRM and got a really good sweat going. Wooo-Hooo! I can do this!

I have read that working out, especially doing high intensity cardio, in a fasted state really burns the fat away. Today is a DD for me and I'm flying high. I plan to work out again tomorrow morning before I eat anything, so that should be a super fasted condition if I can have a great DD all day today.

So far nothing but coffee w/ 2 TBLSP half and half and 64 ounces iced water, so far so good.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 04-11-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

I'm watering up (been drinking coffee most of the day, it's a DD, need the warmth). I'll go to the gym with DH when he gets off work in about an hour. We'll see how it goes, I haven't been on the elliptical in months!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
wtg yam!!!!!!!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Fabulous!!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Awesome! You put me to shame - I haven't dragged my butt into the presence of any kind of exercise in eons. I'd love to have your motivation - can you send some my way please?
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Good going!!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post
Awesome! You put me to shame - I haven't dragged my butt into the presence of any kind of exercise in eons. I'd love to have your motivation - can you send some my way please?

Zzzzzzzzzzap!!!!! Did you get it yet?? That was sent super-jet-fast-airmail!!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

And, did I mention this is a DD??? Unstoppable energy today! :w orkout:
Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
Way to Jam Yam !
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
Way to Jam Yam !
thanks!!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Working out in a weight vest? I am in awe! You rock Yam-Yam!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Fantastic Yam-Yam!!!

Ya know, when I read 'I feel light' as the thread topic, the song 'I feel pretty' came to mind right away.

So, you're not only feeling light, you're looking and feeling pretty!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
WTG YY! I need some of that motivation. No gym for me though. I just have to figure it out here at home.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Yam...I've told you before how I love your zest for life. You amaze me and inspire too. You are a great gal...it just comes through!!! I don't prefer gyms but I love walking briskly around our pool (pretty wide walk path surrounding it and use weights when I walk and also swim prob. 3-5 days a week in warmer weather. Can't wait. GOTTA be able to keep up with my granddaughter! Think I've mentioned her living with us since 5mos. She keeps us young! Yam, haven't several mentioned on here that they feel more energized on DD"s? I am always saying that. It is not my imagination! Keep up the inspiration!!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #19

Yam-Yam, thanks for the inspiration!! Thanks to you, I went to the gym (hadn't been there since the beginning of the year) and did 41 minutes on the elliptical!! And it was awesome!! Even on a down day, which I thought I'd die if I tried to do the elliptical on a down day.

I could have gone longer but DH had to go somewhere so I hopped off at the 41 minute mark.

I think I'm going to try your "workout in a fasted state" routine and see what it does for my weight and measurements. I measured last night and my waist is 35 and my hips are 45

For all you skinnies on the board who are horrified at those numbers, I remember when my hips were 64 inches around. And that wasn't even at my biggest. So these are tiny for me.

Yam, do you have a link to the information about burning more fat in a fasted state?

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I work out a lot and on Fridays, I do a body pump class (strength) then a zumba class (cardio) and I'm WORN OUT by the end. KUDOS TO YOU!!!! You did so great! Feels good, doesn't it? It feels great to work out on DDs, but if you've had a bit of a crazy UD, it helps you feel "light" again. Also helps me with water weight.

You title has me singing: "I feel pretty, oh so pretty. I feel pretty and witty and gaaaaaaaay! And I pity, any girl who isn't me todaaaaaay." lalalalalalalalala. I could go on...
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Luna: Great job!!! And, hey, 35 inch waist is so great! You know Dr. Oz always preaches about how women's waists should be no bigger than 35 inches. You are there! And you are gonna keep shrinking!

I will try to find at least one of the articles I was referencing. I think I might have it book marked.

I also made a notation in my journal the first time I read this last year and did not write down the source (which is unusual for me) but it may have been because I read that one in Dukan's book and I was jotting things down all over the place because I loved his book and learned so much from it.

But I've read it in quite a few places now, explained in detail. Jorge Cruise even mentions it in one of his books. (His take is that being in a fasted state, like when someone gets up in the morning after the appx 12 all night fast before breakfast) and works out they have naturally low blood glucose. Low blood glucose plus at least 20 minutes of cardio = major fat burn because your body would normally use carbs (sugar) for energy first. When there is no glucose available, the body dips into it's fat reserves and converts it to fuel for energy expenditure.

So, fasted cardio = 100% burning of stored fat.

I'll be back if I find one of the articles you can read or maybe I'll surf the web for more info.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

"In a recent issue of The Journal of Physiology, Van Proeyen et al. (2010) shed light on the optimal exercise training protocol to improve health when consuming a fatty diet to excess. Here, 20 young men were placed on a high fat, weight gaining diet that consisted of 30% more calories than they required to maintain stable body weight. They were then randomized to exercising either first thing in the morning before breakfast, or exercising after consuming a carbohydrate rich breakfast, 4 times per week for 6 weeks. Both groups were compared to control, which increased energy intake by 30% but did not exercise. Exercise produced comparable increases in measures of fitness (e.g. Graphic and time to exhaustion) and mitochondrial content as assessed by citrate synthase activity, regardless of whether it was conducted in the fasting or fed state. Importantly, only exercise performed in the fasting state produced significant improvements in glucose tolerance and GLUT4 protein content as compared to controls, despite consumption of a high fat diet that was designed to induce insulin resistance. This is in contrast to the group that exercised in the fed state, who did not have any detectable change in glucose metabolism. This study therefore suggests that exercising before breakfast provides greater health benefits than exercising after breakfast during caloric overload.

The authors also examined for changes in lipid metabolites within skeletal muscle as potential mechanisms that may contribute to this glucose sensitizing effect. Intramyocellular triacylglycerols (IMTGs) are an inert storage depot of lipid within skeletal muscle that are elevated in obesity. Accumulation of more deleterious lipid derivatives (e.g. fatty acyl CoA, diacylglycerol, ceramides) inhibit the insulin signalling cascade and impair GLUT-4 translocation to the cell surface (Turner & Heilbronn, 2008). Lipid accumulation within muscle may be due either to increased fatty acid delivery to cells, or an impaired capacity to oxidise dietary lipids. There is considerable evidence that a lipid oxidation defect exists in human obesity (Hulver et al. 2003) and another theory that is gaining momentum, suggests that defects in mitochondrial function may contribute to the accumulation of lipids in skeletal muscle (Turner & Heilbronn, 2008). These authors have previously shown that a single bout of exercise in the fasted state produces greater increases in fat oxidation and reductions in intramyocellular triacylglycerols, which may prevent diacylglycerol and ceramide accumulation in skeletal muscle (De Bock et al. 2005). In the present study, analyses were performed at least 48 h after the last exercise bout. There was some evidence that fatty acid turnover may be higher in the fasted group, as significant increases in the mRNA expression of FAT/CD36 and CPT1b were observed. However, functional measures of β-oxidation in muscle homogenates were not changed and in vivo whole body lipid oxidation was not assessed. Moreover, all groups had significant increases in IMTGs in response to overfeeding. This suggests that high fat overfeeding promotes triacylglycerol storage within muscle, regardless of exercise status. Interestingly, this increase in IMTGs did not coincide with any increases in ceramides or diacylgycerols in this lean healthy population, and it would be of great interest to test whether obese individuals overfed under similar conditions have a different response. "

That's kind of boring, but it's one I just found from Googling the topic. I highlighted areas of interest. Seems to say that exercising in a fasted state improves glucose tolerence (which would contribute to fat loss of course).

I went back and skimmed Dr. Berardi's e-book. He has lots to say about exercising and fasting and his recommendation is that super high intensity, long sessions in a fasted state are too taxing (obvious!!) BTW: his definition of high intensity is like four hour work outs with heavy weights!

Anyway, he says there is a lot of benefit in simply taking brisk walks in a fasted state and mentions the fat burning effect.

Let me know if you want the link to his free e-book.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
I walked a mile in under twenty minutes. Last year it would have taken me close to 35 or even 40.

I have been scarred to work out I don't like the pain or the soreness, but after two days of walking a mile... I feel great!

It might be time to join a gym!
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #24

Thanks, Yam! Yes, the e-book link would be appreciated. At least to take a look-see.

I've done some googling too, and plan to do more--Internet went out at home and so I'm in a coffee shop for a while mooching on their wifi. Hey I bought some tea!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Good job, Yam-Yam and Luna!

No more than a 35" waist? I'm an inch or so from that and I was aiming for a 26" waist!

Have you ever done a Curves circuit workout with Zumba thrown in? On a DD? Doesn't hurt a bit!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote