Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stitch
Stats: 141/123.2/105
WOE: Very low carb switched to JUDDD
Start Date: 2nd February '12
Really struggling here

I'm really struggling today, it's a down day and I don't feel up to it physically or mentally. The DD cold is really bad for me today too. It's a beautiful day here and while all of my friends have gone out to enjoy the sunshine, I'm wrapped around a hot water bottle. I'm finding JUDDD so hard this week. My first week was pretty easy. The bouncy bounce began right at the start of the second week and I've been really struggling to keep under my calories but I have, except yesterday. I ate at least 600 cals over my UD cals. Luckily, somehow, the scale wasn't up this morning but I'm just finding today sooooo hard. I feel miserable. I just needed a little rant, and maybe some advice if anyone has any?
Thanks.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well a big ole HUG for you I know how cold the DD can be.. and i can empathise with you.. i actually look forward to being that cold.. (shhhh heres why.. I lose more pounds after a freezing).. So try to enjoy the fact that you are shedding fat cells as you freeze,, and really thats what this is all about.. lose the fat . So.. What i do, when i cant take it no more iis to draw a very hot bath.. lay in that.. till im looking like a lobster with cup of hot coffee to warm the insides and then wrap up with a great book.. when i can.. hang in there kiddo!! THis is great news!!
1994 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oh Stitch I am so sorry you are struggling. I don't get the DD shivers so I can't help much there.

Lots of nice hot broth might help or even a hot Vit C type drink. I start most days with an effervescent Vit C drink called Berrocca, don't know if you get it in the States. But DH and I found we really enjoy it made with hot water, it is so comforting somehow.

If you can get out into the sunshine it would make you feel much better I am sure. Just put on some extra layers and take a stroll in this glorious spring weather and be glad to be alive.

And remember, tomorrow is an UD.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I know it can be tough sometimes. We all have those days! Drink some hot tea or hot Emergen-C (might be close to what Kissa is talking about). I find it helps a lot. I haven't had the DD cold in awhile...I've been hot lately. But, it's getting warmer here (in the late '80s, early 90's during the day), so I usually warm up a lot around this time.

It will get better! Tomorrow is a UD! Power through!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all your kindness, today's just a really tough one. I've managed to warm up a bit in a giant woolly jumper with my hot water bottle shoved up it! I also ate a little bag of popcorn (68 cals) and drank loads of water. Beginning to feel almost human again! I was just scared I was going to crack and go munching.
A hot bath sounds great, it'd be nice to have that to look forward to later.
Kissa, I live in Ireland, I'm always hearing great things about Berocca, should really give it a try.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
I have thyroid problems, so I've experienced many days of shivering. I hope that you'll consider what works for me. Put a soft blanket in the clothes dryer for about 5-10 minutes so that it gets heated very well. Then wrap that around from head to toe. There's something about being completely engulfed in the warmth that seems to bring the body out of the stress of the shivering and honestly makes me feel a LOT better. It works best if the blanket is not too lightweight. The more substantial the blanket, the longer the heat from the dryer stays.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

NoWeigh, that sounds heavenly!My dryer is out of action, my landlord replaced our broken one with another broken one. I remember when I was at home, in the winter I used to always throw my clothes in the dryer for a few mins before I got dressed. So comforting.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
It will pass, and you will feel so much better! On the bright side, today sounds like it would be a perfect blanket, pillow, movie day!!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: No white food
Shivering burns calories!
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Hang in there! In my experience, things get better after the first two weeks. I struggled through the first two weeks then I felt much better. Those days really dragged... I still deal with the cold (shivering here, too), but otherwise I feel so much better.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all your help. I made it through the day OK in the end, it's late here so there's little risk of going on a munch now. I came in just over 500 calories thanks to a very silly sauce mix up but I'm told not to worry too much about that. I think this week has been harder because I have a visitor and I've been off work. I find working gives me energy, makes me a little happier and of course distracts from food. Thankfully I'm back at work tomorrow (I know a lot of people will think it's strange to be happy about that but I only work a few hours a day and after being unemployed for two years it feels really good to be working again). I think things will be better over the next few days. I'm optimistic at least. Anyway, tomorrow's an up day!!!
Thanks again everyone, it really helped to be able to come to you guys when I was down earlier.Hugs all round!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #12

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
Oh I have had those types of days! Usually a cup of hot broth and my electric blanket does the trick!
Momto2boysNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
If you don't seem to be able to do 500 or under DD (I could never and still can't do them) why not up your calories a bit, say 600 or 700 (those have always been mine)?

The 500 or less suggestion is just that, a suggestion, so why suffer if upping those calories is going to mean the difference between caving in and giving up or sticking with JUDDD and losing weight?

Just my thoughts!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-11-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Well, the first few DD's were no problem, it was just the last couple that have been difficult. I'll see how they go when I'm back at work, I really think the distraction will help.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wise, wise words Linda, as always.

Glad you are feeling better Stitch. Work is a blessing when you have been without it, I am so happy that you enjoy it. Having visitors really does make a difference, I think you have done wonderfully well considering.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks very much Kissa.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
Well, the first few DD's were no problem, it was just the last couple that have been difficult. I'll see how they go when I'm back at work, I really think the distraction will help.
I would be a big liar if I said DDs were easy! They are NOT, even after 8+ months on JUDDD. I look forward to them 1/2 the time and the other 1/2 I feel like throwing in the towel and just eating, eating, eating, BUT that is not an option to me if I want to stay healthy AND thin.

Distractions help. But life throws us curve balls all the time and it is to our benefit to find other solutions rather than eating. Food is NOT the answer, and sometimes more the problem than what we are going through at the moment.

Hang in there, find tools that help make those DD a little better, and keep up the good work you are doing for yourself!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #18

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I would be a big liar if I said DDs were easy! They are NOT, even after 8+ months on JUDDD. I look forward to them 1/2 the time and the other 1/2 I feel like throwing in the towel and just eating, eating, eating, BUT that is not an option to me if I want to stay healthy AND thin.

Distractions help. But life throws us curve balls all the time and it is to our benefit to find other solutions rather than eating. Food is NOT the answer, and sometimes more the problem than what we are going through at the moment.

Hang in there, find tools that help make those DD a little better, and keep up the good work you are doing for yourself!
Thank goodness I'm not alone! Most of my DDs are fine, but there are some where I just get depressed and grumpy, and want to say to heck with it. I power through and keep on keeping on.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:

Thanks, BEEB!! Really needed to read this today.
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Beeb.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 16/10/8 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD 1850/600
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thank goodness I'm not alone! Most of my DDs are fine, but there are some where I just get depressed and grumpy, and want to say to heck with it. I power through and keep on keeping on.
Right there with you. And thanks Beeb!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #22

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:

Thank you for sharing that!! I'm not one to look forward to DDs, I am somewhat amazed at those who do. They are tolerable, they are okay, I get through them but I don't look forward to them. I'm glad to hear that even veteran JUDDDers sometimes feel the same way. I thought I was missing some of the magic.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Thanks for all your kindness, today's just a really tough one. I've managed to warm up a bit in a giant woolly jumper with my hot water bottle shoved up it! I also ate a little bag of popcorn (68 cals) and drank loads of water. Beginning to feel almost human again! I was just scared I was going to crack and go munching.
A hot bath sounds great, it'd be nice to have that to look forward to later.
This is exactly what I do. And if I go to 568 instead of 500 calories because of it, then so be it. I haven't felt that it held me back. I also do hot baths so often that we are planning to have a hot tub when we move, LOL.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #24

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi, Stitch.

I hope by now that rough DD is a forgotten memory and you are discovering some of the things that can make them so much easier to adhere to and complete successfully.

Do remember that Down Days only have to be held this low during actual weight loss mode. Once you are in maintenance, that very low DD number can be raised to a much more enjoyable level. So being this low is only temporary. And the better you can do all of the days of JUDDD, whether an UD or a DD, the faster it can work for you in melting you down to that slim and fabulous figure you're dreaming of.

Another big, big help on DDs is to have foods that are significant enough to allow your tummy to feel like it's actually been fed! LOL Some folks think a bit of fat or eating protein helps keep hunger at bay for them, but it sure doesn't do it for me. I need FOOD. I need to have a plateful or a bowlful of something that takes many, many forkfuls to finish! So that ends up usually being strongly veggie based.

I can fix stir frys of broccoli, carrots, onions, green peppers, and fresh mushrooms that will fill a BIG skillet for not too many calories.

I can fix a HUGE skillet of sauteed cabbage, topped with a couple of wedges of Laughing Cow cheese and stuff myself on it for not too many calories.

I can have an ENORMOUS salad of fresh raw veggies that fills a casserole baking bowl for not too many calories.

In other words, there are ways to eat very filling and satisfying meals on DDs without being very high in calories. It's really not necessary to ever be very hungry on Down Days.

And, as a last resort, if you're up to your calorie limit, and your day isn't over yet, and you're really awfully hungry for some reason, allow yourself to exceed your calories by a bit with a little snack that doesn't take too many cals to satisfy you.

I like three hardboiled eggs - whites only - chopped and mixed with a tbsp of Kraft fat free Miracle Whip and a tsp of yellow mustard, salt and pepper. So a nice mound of egg salad for only 70 calories.

Or 1/4 cup chopped peeled cucumber, 1/4 cup chopped tomato, 1/4 cup chopped broccoli florets, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, all mixed together with some salt & pepper. Only 65 calories.

Sometimes these little snacks can help you to successfully complete a DD, even if you do have to go over a bit. All will not be lost.

And most of us find that after we get into it awhile, the Down Days do get easier overall. There is a certain appetite suppression that seems to come to us from JUDDD. It's always sort of interesting that most often after feeling so hungry the evening of a DD, when we wake the next morning to our new UD... we're not all that hungry after all. No more so than any other morning, really. Very strange.

And one more hint that helps many of us is... to eat the full calorie amount of our UDs, leading into our DDs, and to make sure that you eat plenty of those UD calories in the later part of the day. Have a really good supper, so that those calories can fuel you well through your entire coming DD.

And always keep in mind that you are on a diet. We sometimes sort of forget that part. We're so happy to dwell on the fact that we can eat anything we want on UDs, that we can eat so much on our UDs, that we can eat so freely, so socially, so not-on-a-diet on our UDs, that we forget there is a price to pay for that food that we're so delighted to get to eat once again! And the price to be paid is the DD. In order to not have to diet on UDs, we have to diet twice as hard on our DDs. Oh, well.

Every weight loss diet requires us to restrict something, somehow, somewhere. On JUDDD we don't have to restrict any foods at all, so we don't have lists of foods we must eat or of foods that are forbidden to us. And we don't have to restrict our calories to diet levels every single day. Our restriction falls only on our Down Days. But that's the JUDDD price we pay. In exchange for the gifts that JUDDD gives us back, it's a small price to pay.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
I'm really struggling today, it's a down day and I don't feel up to it physically or mentally. The DD cold is really bad for me today too. It's a beautiful day here and while all of my friends have gone out to enjoy the sunshine, I'm wrapped around a hot water bottle. I'm finding JUDDD so hard this week. My first week was pretty easy. The bouncy bounce began right at the start of the second week and I've been really struggling to keep under my calories but I have, except yesterday. I ate at least 600 cals over my UD cals. Luckily, somehow, the scale wasn't up this morning but I'm just finding today sooooo hard. I feel miserable. I just needed a little rant, and maybe some advice if anyone has any?
Thanks.
Hi, Stitch: I know that this is the next day and by now you've enjoyed a wonderful UD w/lots of yummy food. I'm right there w/you on the DD cold. I have a couple of rice-filled fabric packs that I heat in the microwave when I'm at home, and I rotate them around the frozen areas while I huddle under a cozy blanket! At work, I keep a shawl that is easy to throw off and on. But I'm lucky and work in a hospital surgical department, so when I get REALLY cold, the nurses feel sorry for me and bring me a warm blanket from the warmer - heaven! LOL!

As for the motivation, the only thing I like about down days is the feeling of redemption if I've had a particularly too-much-up UP day. I have to keep reminding myself that no matter what the advertisements on TV say about such and such diet, there is NO EASY WAY to lose weight, get healthy and stay that way. Any method takes some sort of sacrifice. I mean, by no sacrifice and indulging all our taste whims any 'ol time, that's why we all got fat to begin with, right? Some sacrifices are just a bit easier to handle than others, like JUDDD over an every-day calorie restriction diet plan, or, for some, severe carb restriction for life. I keep that "tomorrow I can have it" mantra in my mind, and when I'm tempted to cave, I think of all the hard work I've done in keeping cals low so far, so why blow it now? Good on you for getting thru your DD, and if it took a few cals over your limit, little harm is done, but it saved you from turning the DD into an UD (and possibly a string of UDs!).

Today is a (cold) DD for me, so this pep talk is geared as much toward me as you! But that's what this forum is for, right?
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I've been JUDDD'ing for 3 weeks now and some DD's are harder than others. Knowing that I can eat the next day helps my resolve when it's a struggle to stay at or below 500 calories. There have been a few times when I was ready to turn a DD into a MD, but stuck with it and found I wasn't even all that hungry the next morning.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Hello, thanks to everyone that responded, you all really helped me feel better and push through, even those that commented after. I was still having a rough time after that DD, I was even having rough UD's! My weight went up after my initial loss in the first week and bounced a round a few lbs up from my low weight so its just been really frustrating. I'm finally having an OK DD today, feel tonnes better. My scale is showing me a at about 129.5 when I weighed just there. I was 128.4 at the end of my first week and since then have bounced between 129.5 and 131.5 even though I've been behaving myself. I haven't had a decent BM in quite some time so I've just used my DD cals on some castor oil. I usually wake up 1lb less than I was the night before so that fact and a good BM might maaaaaaaybe, just maaaaaaaaaybe might get me down to where I was or, I'm probably pushing it here, lower..I hope!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #28

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Hello, thanks to everyone that responded, you all really helped me feel better and push through, even those that commented after. I was still having a rough time after that DD, I was even having rough UD's! My weight went up after my initial loss in the first week and bounced a round a few lbs up from my low weight so its just been really frustrating. I'm finally having an OK DD today, feel tonnes better. My scale is showing me a at about 129.5 when I weighed just there. I was 128.4 at the end of my first week and since then have bounced between 129.5 and 131.5 even though I've been behaving myself. I haven't had a decent BM in quite some time so I've just used my DD cals on some castor oil. I usually wake up 1lb less than I was the night before so that fact and a good BM might maaaaaaaybe, just maaaaaaaaaybe might get me down to where I was or, I'm probably pushing it here, lower..I hope!
Good luck. Hope you are more comfortable very shortly. Are you eating very low carb? That way of eating was the most constipating way I've ever eaten in my life. I was *uncomfortably stuffed* feeling about half the time, and not in a good way!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

No, I did low carb for about 5 weeks and then went off the rails for about 3 and then onto JUDDD with carbs. I've always had trouble with constipation, since I was a small child, its very annoying but I guess its just the way I am. I regularly go over a week without a BM, or a decent one anyway.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Glad you're feeling better, Stitch, and hope you get that BR issue fixed, pronto, for your health more than anything. And yes, that seems to be a reason for people holding onto weight is not having proper BM, and it makes sense. So when it gets fixed, I'm sure you will start seeing results again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Good luck. Hope you are more comfortable very shortly. Are you eating very low carb? That way of eating was the most constipating way I've ever eaten in my life. I was *uncomfortably stuffed* feeling about half the time, and not in a good way!
Sorry, this isn't a funny situation, but something about the way you put it just made me LOL. You have the best way with words.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote