Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
does anyone NOT count cals on UD?

I am really trying not to have to count cals everyday. Every other day I can handle (DD). Could it work if you can be honest with yourself and not go overboard on UDs?
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I don't count. I'm a bad girl. I do a running total in my head. To be honest, I probably do lie to myself sometimes... I am still losing, but slowly, and I'm ok with that so far. Sorry I'm not more help.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I have discovered I am a big fat liar to myself. So, I log everything that hops into my mouth, UD and DD...

I use an android app on my phone, so it takes no time at all to quickly log something as soon as I've eaten or drunk it.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
My hubby has not counted a thing on up days and lost well. But guys are easier losers sometimes.
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
in an effort to be somewhat 'normal' i do not count on UD's. don't mind counting on DDs, tho. i focus on portion control for UDs. still having big jumps after UDs. but i need to be able to just live and FOR ME counting every morsel that falls in my mouth is not a good fit. i may lose better if i did...but i WANT to learn how to do this intuitively, without counting.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I don't count on UDs...I lose slowly, though!
I think it can work *if* you are currently pretty much maintaining your weight, and can continue to eat that way on UDs.

If you drastically change what you eat, though (higher carb, for example), it may be difficult to eat "intuitively". OTOH, many new JUDDDers go a bit wild the first couple weeks, then find themselves craving healthy foods and not feeling hungry on UDs.

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-11-2012 at 09:07 AM..
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Some people count calories strictly, some don't count at all. I don't think it is a bad thing or a good thing. You need to do what works for you. If you are happy with your losses and not counting calories, then you are doing something right.

For me, I have a pretty bad weight problem and have had it all my life. When Dr J says to eat normally on up days, I have no real clue what normal even is. I can't eat until satisfied because I never really feel satiated. I eat for other reasons than hunger. I love food, I love to bake and experiment with foods so I have to consider that.

When I first started logging my calories, I was shocked! I didn't realize the 2 Tbs of HWC I used in my coffee every day 3-4 cups a day added up like it did. I could have possibly been eating close to 3000 calories!! Even though I was following low carb, all the low carb goodies are often more caloric than non-LC goodies due to uses of foods like almond flour and coconut oil. I made a low carb doughnut. After checking the calories, I discovered it had 350 calories for one! Once I discovered that, I decided I need to carefully log in on the up days in order to reach the number, but not exceed it. I will continue to do this until I learn. Eventually I think I will not need to count. Studies show that people consistently under report what they eat, and I have been one of them!! So for now, I am counting. I don't find it a problem to do it. It is easy and a great learning process for me.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Some people count calories strictly, some don't count at all. I don't think it is a bad thing or a good thing. You need to do what works for you. If you are happy with your losses and not counting calories, then you are doing something right.

For me, I have a pretty bad weight problem and have had it all my life. When Dr J says to eat normally on up days, I have no real clue what normal even is. I can't eat until satisfied because I never really feel satiated. I eat for other reasons than hunger. I love food, I love to bake and experiment with foods so I have to consider that.

When I first started logging my calories, I was shocked! I didn't realize the 2 Tbs of HWC I used in my coffee every day 3-4 cups a day added up like it did. I could have possibly been eating close to 3000 calories!! Even though I was following low carb, all the low carb goodies are often more caloric than non-LC goodies due to uses of foods like almond flour and coconut oil. I made a low carb doughnut. After checking the calories, I discovered it had 350 calories for one! Once I discovered that, I decided I need to carefully log in on the up days in order to reach the number, but not exceed it. I will continue to do this until I learn. Eventually I think I will not need to count. Studies show that people consistently under report what they eat, and I have been one of them!! So for now, I am counting. I don't find it a problem to do it. It is easy and a great learning process for me.
THIS is why I am counting UD calories, even though I was very resistant to it at first.

Being vegan and mostly raw, I wrongly assumed I was taking in very little calories since I live on fresh fruit, veggies, seeds, and dehydrated snacks like kale chips and nut cheeses. Boy, was I wrong.

I found out the other day that my typical lunch (arugula salad and raw key lime pie from Organic Avenue) totals 1300 calories!!!!!! I was shocked. I mean, very healthy and whole ingredients for sure but that is crazy, right?

So at least in the first month, I am counting calories for the sole purpose of understanding what "normal" looks like. After that, I may be able to get away with just eating sanely. I agree though< I do hate counting calories daily.
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carla70
Stats: 225/225/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 05/05/2014
I do both, some days I just keep running total and others I track everything. I would say whatever you find that works best for you. I found that tracking is good for me as it made me realize what I was eating. But as I learn and get close to maintenance i may not track as much on UD.

Good Luck
carla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am in Maintenance so I don't keep a careful check. But I did during weight loss mode.

If you are happy with your rate of loss then you are doing it right. If you aren't happy with your rate of loss, then, you know what to do.

Also, Sungoddess makes a very important point here. "I have no real clue what normal even is. " Many pod us on this forum have come from here. We are not the best people to give free rein to where food is concerned.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
YUpper.. im a counter too... i found that if i did not count them at least at first.. i was first off not getting in enough calories.. then!!! When i started to look at one lil item that i was hooked on for like 20 years now.. was my coffe with powered creamer,, well!!! i measure out what i norally shake or shook in.. holy cals!! every cup i drank for the last 20 years was about 100 cals per cup, then times by 8 or 9 every day
I had no clue that all those cups were empty cals of 900 every day and never knew why i could not lose weight when i dint eat that much! :hystr: so i count and measure every thing till i get that item down pat.. then i can just add stuff up in my head now due to ive done it before,, for me,,, this was a great tool and an eye opener!! Hope ya all have a great day!!
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I haven't but might just to see why I'm not losing like everyone else. I keep a running total in my head, but who knows. I typically try to eat the same stuff I do on a DD, just add to it (little more cream, extra helping, etc.) a little bit. I'd love to see I'm not eating enough and that's the problem.

If you're losing and not counting on an UD, I say keep doing what you're doing. That's one of the biggest things that makes JUDDD not feel like a diet.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
I count only because it is so ingrained in me, but have had many FDs.

If I have a day where I'm otherwise too busy, I don't worry about it, but I always keep my DDs in check!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I used to count them. Now I do a rough estimate. I have a really good idea of what is what now. I usually eat the same things week after week. My dd's I stick to! Count them and write it in my journal. I find I can go between 500-700 and still do pretty good.

Now if my food varies a bit, like I ate out or something, then I keep track in my journal too! To easy to go over board that way!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I count on both UD and DD, if I didn't count on UDs I'd probably be over 2,500 easy! I personally need the reigning in that counting gives me.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I count, but only because I'd be WAY under if I didn't and my weight loss would come to a screeching halt. Eating to satisfaction would leave me too low.

IMHO, I think it's important to come close to both you UD and DD calories as this is pretty much the meat and potatoes of this WOE. (And if you dont count, how do you know if you're anywhere close?) We have free reign with just about everything else so counting calories isn't a big deal to me.

But, do what works for you.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #17

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
I did for a while but have been slacking. I have an excel spreadsheet saved on my desktop so I can access it quickly.
Momto2boysNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #18

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I am in Maintenance so I don't keep a careful check. But I did during weight loss mode.

If you are happy with your rate of loss then you are doing it right. If you aren't happy with your rate of loss, then, you know what to do.

Also, Sungoddess makes a very important point here. "I have no real clue what normal even is. " Many pod us on this forum have come from here. We are not the best people to give free rein to where food is concerned.
QFT.

I count and log pretty religiously. DH, who is JUDDDing with me, does not. Even though he normally loses better than I do, being a guy, I've lost more weight on JUDDD than he has. Pretty convincing evidence, to me anyway.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:

YES (in bold)! I did FDs for awhile, bad mistake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I count on both UD and DD, if I didn't count on UDs I'd probably be over 2,500 easy! I personally need the reigning in that counting gives me.
And totally agree with Becky here! Even in maintenance I have found I need to pretty much count on UDs. And I look at it as a VERY small price to pay to be able to stay the weight I'm so comfortable with!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:

Yes, this. There are times when I feel stuffed and know that I've most likely had way too much and way too many calories. But then there are other times where I honestly don't feel anywhere close to full and haven't really eaten that much, but maybe a few things I ate were higher in calories and just not quite as filling for the calorie count, so I would've gone way past my calorie limit while still feeling hungry. Using my own appetite and hunger to guide me doesn't work at all. I need to count and calculate everything. Maybe in maintenance I'd consider relaxing a bit but not right now.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I am sometimes relaxed - but I know I lose better when I count!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Beverly, you are both wise and articulate!

I count because I believe I am preparing/training myself for a long, happy future. I need to train myself to recognize what a reasonable portion is, I need to know when I am full but have eaten nowhere near enough calories; if I over eat (and some days I eat waaaay over), I need to know and make a thoughtful, conscious to do so.

What works for you, works for you. Period. There is no right or wrong, only health and energy and progress.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post

I count because I believe I am preparing/training myself for a long, happy future. I need to train myself to recognize what a reasonable portion is, I need to know when I am full but have eaten nowhere near enough calories; if I over eat (and some days I eat waaaay over), I need to know and make a thoughtful, conscious to do so.

What works for you, works for you. Period. There is no right or wrong, only health and energy and progress.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Wow! Thank you everyone for the very thoughtful replies! It's evident that you all are committed to this WOE and for very good reason. I am coming off of hcg (21 lbs. in 40 days) but am gaining quickly because I am not following the rules of P3! I want to JUDDD my way to goal before I gain it all back. I think my best bet would be to bite the bullet and count cals on both UD and DD and save the freedom of not counting for maintenance! Thanks again and keep the comments coming!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Wow! Thank you everyone for the very thoughtful replies! It's evident that you all are committed to this WOE and for very good reason. I am coming off of hcg (21 lbs. in 40 days) but am gaining quickly because I am not following the rules of P3! I want to JUDDD my way to goal before I gain it all back. I think my best bet would be to bite the bullet and count cals on both UD and DD and save the freedom of not counting for maintenance! Thanks again and keep the comments coming!
Great ! It is good you are catching it before you gain it all back. Sadly that is what happened with me. I think you won't find it bad counting the calories. I think the online counters are genius and so easy. Best wishes to you and keep us posted.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
j4Christ!! Take care of yourself by doing what is truly right for you!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
In weight loss mode I counted religiously...1800 ud 500-600 dd. For the last 6 months I have been in maintainance, and doing DD 500-600 / FD (any amount).
My goal was 135...and I kept losing till about 133. For the last 6 months I have maintained at 133-136 eating this way.
For me, personally, I know that always counting cals is counter productive...i WILL break and give up at some point. Doing it this way means i am never at risk of falling of the wagon, cos i can have a mini fall every other day, tempered with a good DD the next!

hugs
Jo

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I count on UD's, but this appears to be for informative purposes only as it doesn't seem to have any impact on how many calories I actually eat - my body is very insistent on filling up its 'reserve tank' on UD's...

Last edited by Avicenna; 04-14-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
My last UD was reason enough for me to never ever estimate calories, I was at the car dealership getting my car inspected, they said it would be about an hour (it's a new, very big, busy Toyota dealership) they give you a voucher for breakfast and have a complete cafeteria. We have been here a bunch of times and I always had the scrambled eggs and bacon, this time I decided on a bagel with butter and cream cheese, I estimated 350 cals for it and my medium latte, well I get home and look it up it was about 700 calories!! I've always written everything down but now I don't guesstimate on calories either, too dangerous. like I said before it would be way too easy for me to go way over my 1,700 UD allotment.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote