Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
New to JUDDD & Type2

I've been following Dr. Bernstein since 9/2010. I lost 42 pounds by July 2011, stopped my statin drug and got my diabetes under control. I am a type 2 and take 2 kinds of insulin and metformin. It bothered me a little that I wasn't able to lose any more weight (30 more lbs. would have been nice), but I was so thrilled with my improved blood sugar that it really didn't bother me. When I went for my lipid profile January 2012 I expected the wonderful results frequently seen on LC. My results, however, were not completely great. HDL and triglycerides were improved, but my LDL doubled to 253 .

I've been listening to podcasts, and doing research since that blood work was done and think going below 20 gr. carbs per day for most of December caused my thyroid to really slow down. Suggested remedy is eat more starchy veggies. This is really tough for a diabetic to do and keep blood sugar under control.

I'm giving JUDDD a shot because calorie cycling was also mentioned to get the thyroid back on track. I started yesterday and did ok. Tuesday I counted as a DD (697 calories - a little high), but will try to get it down further on next DD.

I looked at the calorie calculator on the JUDDD website and came up with 1783 calories for UD and 624 for a 35% DD. Do you think that 624 is too high? Maybe I can go lower but I have to try and figure out how to handle and adjust my insulin doses without dropping my blood sugar too much and then needing glucose tabs to bring it up. Does anyone who takes insulin have advice? I'm not sure if I should just try to cut the fat on DD and up the carbs or what......I am just so confused.

I'm sorry this is so long. I have searched quite a bit looking for answers to this dilemma. Thursday I go back to the doctor and he will definitely want me to go back on statins. I had requested a VAP test, but he didn't order it correctly, so all I got was another standard lipid profile. If JUDDD or calorie cycling doesn't correct this (with lower LDL) I'll probably have to find an endo and go through thyroid testing.

Thanks for any info and help!! Thanks to Dawnyama for the links. I'll read those today!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Mobear!

There is nothing in the world wrong with starting at 35%. As the sirtuin enzymes flood your body (usually takes between 2 and 4 weeks) and JUDDD magic takes hold and you get more used to this WOE, you will be able to make an informed decision about how to handle DDs.

We have several Type 2 diabetics who are successfully JUDDDing (and seeing interesting improvements in their blood sugar). No doubt they will see your title and jump in with excellent advice as the day goes on.

My best advice is don't introduce too many carbs until the sirtuin enzymes are well established. Many of us 'know' when that happens because DD hunger reduces, DD energy accelerates, and we quite literally feel better.

Bummer about the VAP test (she said kicking the wall in frustration). I wish that would just become a standard part of cholesterol testing. If you don't mind sharing, what are your HDL and trig numbers?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Don't mind sharing!

9/2010 (at the start of LC) HDL 44; Trig 180; LDL 123 (still on statin)

1/2012 HDL 60; Trig 117; LDL 252 (doubled my fish oil after this was done) not on statin

3/2012 HDL 67; Trig 84; LDL 248 calculated

Between January and the end of March I doubled my fish oil and began taking it in the morning rather than at bedtime. I also realized how low my carb intake was and raised it closer to 30 (rather than 15 - 18) and lowered my fat from 80% to 65-70%.

I realized in January that I was really exhausted, lost hair, skin and hair were both extremely dry (I've always been an oil slick!). After research I think this might be a hypothyroid situation. Not sure the family practice doctor can handle it (after the VAP test fiasco).
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Hope you get the answers you are looking for.. i dont have anything to add to help you but.. Welcome!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I was just diagnosed hypo and it sounds very much like my symptoms. Add in freezing and foggy-headed in my case, but everybody's different. My family practitioner caught it, but some don't, so you may need to go to an Endo if that's what you suspect and you don't get answers from your primary.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
I'm giving JUDDD a shot because calorie cycling was also mentioned to get the thyroid back on track.
Really? Gosh I keep learnign more and more about JUDDD the longer I am in these forums! Its another reason to love JUDDD so much!!

All the female problems I keep having, I am hoping JUDDD will help with, and this was another on that list. Well honestly it wasnt so much JUDDD, I stumbled upon this section one day. Was told to lose weight, and Atkins was out by docs advice because I chose a no pill/surgery route. And I seen JUDDD and thought.......hey this is something that is cheaper, and easier. I can do this!! Having great results so far!! I hope you do too!!!! Welcome to JUDDD!!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi, I'm Type 2 but don't take insulin, so my experience is different...

I do think my bg has been a bit up & down lately since I eat different foods & amounts on UDs & DDs. However, my overall range (100-140 most of the time, 180 is the highest I've ever caught it) does not cause me discomfort or alarm.

And I like JUDDD because, even though my fasting BG and A1c haven't improved drastically, I have longer stretches of near-normal BG than I do when I eat larger meals more often.

Have you tried any other type of IF (intermittent fasting)?
I have a feeling that something like Fast 5, or basically any plan where you eat one regular-sized meal a day, could be easier if you're taking insulin. You may be able to reduce your medication but you wouldn't need to change it drastically from day to day, as you might with Up Days & Down Days. I'm familiar with Dr B's plan/book and think this would fit in with his goals.

I'm currently limited to typing without a full keyboard so I can't go into great detail. I wish you the best & hope to hear more from you!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Just stopping in to say WELCOME!!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcomes! I haven't tried any of the IF programs. I will have to google Fast5 and see what that is.

I'm not real sure JUDDD is going to be something I can do. Blood sugar was ok at bedtime and then crashed to 45 during the night. Had to take 3 glucose tablets.

Today is an UD and I ate about 45gr. of carbs instead of my usual and blood sugar is running around 160 instead of 90. So, I'll see what tomorrow brings, but this may not work with taking insulin.

Last edited by Mobear; 04-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
and I hope things work out for you very soon. Keep us all posted.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Double dang that doctor for not knowing how to order a VAP cholesterol test! I see why you requested it. Those number should put you right on the edge of having fluffy, happy LDL.

I can't speak to thyroid or blood glucose. But, if I was you, I would not go anywhere near statins until I knew the composition of my LDL. (Then again, I did not believe science had proven cholesterol was a problem, and had a miserable history involving what can go wrong with statins, long before I read The Great Cholesterol Con. So, take me with a grain of salt.)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I went back to the doctor today and requested an order for a VAP test. He wrote out the order, but who knows if it is correct . I also asked about thyroid tests, TSH, T4, T3, free T3 and he wrote that out also. I had also gained 2 1/2 pounds since the middle of January inspite of upping exercise a little, lowering fat, lowering calories, etc.

He made a very interesting comment when writing out the order...he could have done them on the computer that goes through the hospital which they are affiliated with...and said that since he wrote them he wouldn't get his hand slapped because he had more leeway. I took it to mean that if he went through the "system" he would be questioned about why he was ordering expensive tests rather than ordering a statin!

I'm doing my second DD and the food is ok. Blood sugar was higher than it should be this morning and is still at 100 before lunch. I'm actually not that hungry, but need to save enough for some type of snack before bed. Maybe an ounce of cheese would save a blood sugar crash.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Just want to say thanks for all the kind wishes and help offered.

I don't think JUDDD is going to work for me...which is sad.

My blood sugar is just all over the place - from 45 to 170. I had a second very scary low reading and had to wake my DH up to help. I couldn't open the glucose tablet container. This is just not safe for me!

Thanks again. I'm just going to continue to LC (Bernstein) and make sure I eat 30g a day of carbs.

I hope to have thyroid tests done this coming week so maybe that will shed some light on my current situation.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but happy that you're taking your health seriously. Good luck!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Sorry you had such a scary experience, Mobear!
Good luck!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
That is scary. It does seem best for you to go with something else right now. I think Dr. J even says type 2's might have trouble with this woe. Wishing you all the best with lc.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Take care!