Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
GI thing driving me crazy... need opinions, please

May be TMI.

I research and research, I try home remedies, I try OTC stuff, I've been to the doc and had tests, and am going again, and it's just driving me nuts, not to mention making me couch-bound and miserable so much. So if some of you could give me your opinion on it? At first I had this way-too-long medical history type post typed up, lol, and decided not to burden you with all that, but just (try to) get to the point.

I have my idea of what it is and have had this same idea for 1.5 years now when it first started, but tests always are OK, and yet I still come back to the same suspect. Yet I don't know if there are separate issues going on or if it could all fall under the one umbrella.

If you had these symptoms or someone you know had them, what would your first impression be about the cause? Sometimes there are weeks in between "episodes" but now they are more frequent and getting worse:

-wake up, and as soon as I move around, feel nausea and some dizziness. Stomach burns.
-nibbling Saltine crackers in the a.m. helps a little. In fact, carby foods seem better tolerated and desired when I can eat.
-chills & shivering at times (these are not related to fasting, lol, I can tell it's different - more flu-like)
-burning in stomach area. This is worse in the morning or after long period of not eating. acidic foods/drink makes it worse, especially if taken on empty stomach. This includes black coffee, tea, wine, citrus, vinegar. Pepto Bismol helps some but not so much anymore.
-sometimes slight dizziness/slight headache/whooziness when I'm on my feet, like you feel when you have the flu somtimes. This feels better when I'm lying on the couch.
-fatigue and no motivation to do anything at all until I start feeling better (usually by evening it has gone away or lessened some and I can start eating and being a little active)
-achey spot, tucked under right rib cage. It does not always seem to appear along with the flu-like episodes or stomach episodes, but it just came back on me today. What used to be a slight ache months ago became a worse ache after the holidays, and is now turning to slight pain at times.
-have an appetite, but sometimes feel afraid to eat something because it might make the ache worse
-ache does get worse with eating, usually after something heavy
-eating an apple seems to "stimulate" the area as if I can tell there is something going on in there, and usually relieves things a bit.
-bouts of diarrhea. Have had bouts of it off and on forever, sometimes more so since on Metformin last 7 years or from IBS or both, but this now seems more related to the current problem with stomach and ache on right side.
-some light belching.
-when the episode has cleared up, I'm back to normal, all motivated, happy, normal me.

BTW, I know there can be no diagnoses and I'm only looking for your opinions and first impressions, so don't worry, all disclaimers apply And I have a doctor appt. set up Mon. a.m. about this (will make the 3rd time I've had this looked into, but as I said, it seems to be getting worse and more frequent now.) I am going to ask for some more tests than just the ultrasound, because both times I've had the area US'd, everything comes back great. But obviously it is not great...

Thanks!!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-10-2012 at 03:41 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: InTheLight
Stats: 255/235/160 -- 5'7" tall
WOE: Low carb/cutting back
Start Date: Re-starting strong!! June 2014
Hi Sophie, first, giving you lots of hugs!!!

I had shared about my experience concerning a hiatal hernia in another thread to you; it would never hurt to mention this possibility to your doctor when you go for your appointment; love to you, feel better soon!!
InTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLight View Post
Hi Sophie, first, giving you lots of hugs!!!

I had shared about my experience concerning a hiatal hernia in another thread to you; it would never hurt to mention this possibility to your doctor when you go for your appointment; love to you, feel better soon!!
Thank you, Valerie! I put that down on my list to mention at appt. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
hiatal hernia
systemic yeast (can happen in esophagus)
celiac
gall bladder (maybe stones?)
adrenal issue

My husband has similar symptoms, accompanied by bad breath (not all the time, but you can tell it's from within...not his hygiene - he'd be so embarassed if he knew I put this up here). These are all things that I've wanted him to get checked for. I think there is another one, but I can't think of it.
We think the adrenal issue is connected to the frequent bouts of dizziness and has a problem with his blood pressure being too low when he stands up from sitting awhile. I want him to get this checked. He is going to an acupunturist for it now and it is helping...

His trigger foods are really identical to yours. He really can't drink coffee anymore at all. Tomato sauce gets him...wine sometimes....

I might also think a thyroid issue - just for the chills and faitgue.

I wanted to add some to you too. I know this isn't easy to deal with.

Last edited by DD80; 04-10-2012 at 03:34 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I just want to mention that when my gallbladder was removed (during another type surgery), that I had showed no stones at all on the Ultrasound, but when they took it out, it was full of stones. The Dr. even gave me a pill bottle with some of the stones in them (which I still have, and that was in 1978!).

I hope you can get to the bottom of this, and start feeling better soon!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
As soon as I read the pain under the right rib cage, my thoughts went to gallbladder. I know I've read you had the ultrasound and it didn't show an abnormal gallbladder, but there is a test with dye that showed mine wasn't working properly, even though no stone was evident. I'm unsure of the test name right now, since it's been about three years, but you may want to ask the doc about it.

Are you experiencing any back pain? That was also another symptom of mine.

Good luck, sweetie!
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Sophie sweetheart, I go back to what I said a few days ago and its gall bladder....

Information on Gallbladder Disease

I know you said you had a scan and it was fine, but it could be thickened or stones that werent seen.

This is also interesting related to PCOS and GB

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758648_4

Last edited by krow134; 04-10-2012 at 03:50 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post
As soon as I read the pain under the right rib cage, my thoughts went to gallbladder. I know I've read you had the ultrasound and it didn't show an abnormal gallbladder, but there is a test with dye that showed mine wasn't working properly, even though no stone was evident. I'm unsure of the test name right now, since it's been about three years, but you may want to ask the doc about it.

Good luck, sweetie!
I had this test, and the dye is iodine and yes, I have a double hernia right in the front of my tummy about 4 inches above naval. I am so sorry Sophie!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Possibly a bowel or abdominal abscess. When you see the doc if he doesn't request it, ask for a white blood cell count and see if it's elevated (infection).
(not a doctor and I don't play one!)
Hope you get a diagnosis and feel better soon.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
I don't know, but sending a hug anyway...
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Gall bladder, which of course you've researched. How are you sleeping? I had gall bladder tested because of my insomnia (I'd wake up feeling panicked) and they actually recommended surgery, but I opted not to have it. My symptoms aren't nearly that bad.

Thyroid--I agree with the fatigue and chills. It could be Hashimoto's which goes from hypo to hyper and back so you have differing symptoms depending on which "swing" you're on. How's your hair (any loss, is it brittle, that sort of thing: nails too)?

Are you taking any new(ish) medications? All those symptoms could actually be related to a hypersensitivity syndrome (I have allopurinol hypersensitivity--6 weeks taking the meds before symptoms developed) and that's something that's commonly misdiagnosed.

There's just so much it "could" be. It's so frustrating when you just want answers and nobody can give them to you.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Sophie I hope you can find an answer soon. Have they scoped you?

I have the burning and pain but my pain is on the left. My dx was chronic gastritis.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
sending my hope it gets sorted out.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Well, that just sounds downright miserable. ((((hugs)))

The right side ribcage pain sent off gallbladder flares to me too. You may have more than one thing going on which can really confuse the issue.

Praying you get some answers at your appt.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
hiatal hernia
celiac
adrenal issue

My husband has similar symptoms, accompanied by bad breath (not all the time, but you can tell it's from within...not his hygiene - he'd be so embarassed if he knew I put this up here). These are all things that I've wanted him to get checked for. I think there is another one, but I can't think of it.
We think the adrenal issue is connected to the frequent bouts of dizziness and has a problem with his blood pressure being too low when he stands up from sitting awhile. I want him to get this checked. He is going to an acupunturist for it now and it is helping...

His trigger foods are really identical to yours. He really can't drink coffee anymore at all. Tomato sauce gets him...wine sometimes....

Thanks, DD. Oh your poor DH! Hope you can convince him to get it checked. Hopefully the accupuncture does the trick, though I don't know anything about it. He's getting relief though, so that's great. I put stuff off a lot too, but there comes a time when the body is just sending up red flags everywhere and it can't be ignored anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie1 View Post
I just want to mention that when my gallbladder was removed (during another type surgery), that I had showed no stones at all on the Ultrasound, but when they took it out, it was full of stones. The Dr. even gave me a pill bottle with some of the stones in them (which I still have, and that was in 1978!).

I hope you can get to the bottom of this, and start feeling better soon!

Carole
I have heard this is possible too - that the stones or sludge do not show up on UltraS, which makes me wonder why they rely on that so much for GB... it was the first and only thing either doctor I saw over the last couple years wanted to do. I even had the last one done while I was having a flare up of the ache and nothing showed.

Thank you, Carole for your support too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
and thank you, NW.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Try going gluten and dairy free. Pain under your ribcage and epigastric area (right above your stomach) can be caused by gluten and/or dairy intolerance. So can many of the other symptoms you have such as dizziness, diarrhea, burning, achiness, FATIGUE! etc.

If the small bowel is inflamed from ingesting these things that you are allergic to or have an intolerance to then other foods can irritate it too. All you have to do is an elimination trial and see how you feel. Go a couple of weeks without gluten and dairy and see how you do. Or try gluten first and then dairy later. Celiac.com and celiac.org are great sites to explain about which foods contain gluten and the hidden preservatives etc...

Last edited by Star73; 04-10-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
I had VERY similar symptoms when I was diagnosed with GERD (Gastric Reflux) at one point I was in so much pain I curled into a ball and couldn't move. Also check into Gluten and/or Dairy free...my husband also had similar symptoms when he was diagnosed.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
hiatal hernia
celiac
adrenal issue

Bad breath can be caused by leaky gut syndrome and eliminating gluten and dairy can help with this. If you google "leaky gut" there is a lot of info about it.

Coffee and tomato sauce can irritate the small intestines because of the damage done by offending foods. I find that they don't bother me at all now since I've been gluten free and have limited dairy. Before, I couldn't tolerate them at all... So, it may not actually be the coffee and tomato sauce, it may just be that they are acidic and are irritating an already irritated lining..
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Can't add to what everyone has said but want you to know that I care. So sorry you are going through this. Pray you are all better quickly!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Sorry to hear about your health problems. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it soon!
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I have GERD and a hole in my esophagus. My symptoms didn't match exactly but were close.

Have you been scoped (upper and lower)?

Let us know what happens when you see the doctor.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #23
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
My mother had all kinds of gallbladder tests, including a scan, and it never showed stones. They finally took it out and it had a bunch if little tiny ones stuck in the ducts.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamilda
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 8/09/11 Atkins @ 270
You are doing the best thing you can do right now and seeing your doctor. Having worked for a surgeon who specialized in Gastroenterology, symptoms fit alot of things from gall bladder disease, which you don't need to have stones to have a diseased gall bladder, to an ulcer. Just document all of your symptoms and tell the Dr. everything. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon. "hugs"
Tami
Tamilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
So sorry you're going through this, and hopefully, your doctor will be able to sort things out for you so that you'll be back to your cheery healthy self.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alibaba
Stats: 240(pregnant)/176/165
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 5/12/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
My mother had all kinds of gallbladder tests, including a scan, and it never showed stones. They finally took it out and it had a bunch if little tiny ones stuck in the ducts.
Same thing with my Dad. It was sludge, apparently, which doesn't really show up, but causes the same problems.
alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
Bad breath can be caused by leaky gut syndrome and eliminating gluten and dairy can help with this. If you google "leaky gut" there is a lot of info about it.

Coffee and tomato sauce can irritate the small intestines because of the damage done by offending foods. I find that they don't bother me at all now since I've been gluten free and have limited dairy. Before, I couldn't tolerate them at all... So, it may not actually be the coffee and tomato sauce, it may just be that they are acidic and are irritating an already irritated lining..
Yes! I've talked to him about this too. He's so afraid to have to limit his diet...he's never had to before...ever. He needs to do something!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post

Good luck, sweetie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Sophie sweetheart, I go back to what I said a few days ago and its gall bladder....

Information on Gallbladder Disease

I know you said you had a scan and it was fine, but it could be thickened or stones that werent seen.

This is also interesting related to PCOS and GB

Medscape: Medscape Access
Thanks Kim and Tanya. I've been suspecting GB for so long now. I actually am not sure though if the stomach burning issues are from gastritis, ulcer or something, or if this is also related to GB. The systems are connected, so... I guess I will be finding out before too long.

The GB thing has just been frustrating because I've been getting sicker and sicker, though with time off from it all where it doesn't bother me at all. But I keep thinking, am I going to have "the big one" hit me out of the blue and then end up in the ER. I really do think it's GB and have suspected that for some time (though again, I don't know if the stomach is a separate issue but it all got worse around the same time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I had this test, and the dye is iodine and yes, I have a double hernia right in the front of my tummy about 4 inches above naval. I am so sorry Sophie!
I'll mention the hernia possibility too, Sunday. I think my doc (she is actually a nurse practitioner who took over for my old doc that I'd had for 24 years) may refer me to a specialist when I go Mon, but I do want to get at least some blood work to make sure there's not infection or something. Thanks, Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Possibly a bowel or abdominal abscess. When you see the doc if he doesn't request it, ask for a white blood cell count and see if it's elevated (infection).
(not a doctor and I don't play one!)
Hope you get a diagnosis and feel better soon.
Thanks, Dottie, I will definitely be asking for blood work. I hope some of that chill and ache isn't from infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
Aw, thank you, NW

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-11-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
This sounds dreadful, but after reading your symptoms I like the idea that it may have something to do with leaky gut, but would keep in mind that it may be more than one thing going south on you a the same time. The mild burping may be an indication of some kind of bacteria making its way north of where it should be.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
Bless your heart!!

I had my gallbladder out and like many mentioned, the mention of pain around the ribcage made me think of that. The last hours long attack I had before getting it out, had me wishing for death, and I'm not kidding.

Maybe "leaky gut" or Celiac's??

Whatever it is, I certainly hope and pray you find out what it is.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote