Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: llindsey26
Stats: 5'2" - 255 pre VSG on 2/2009, 200/187/135
WOE: lc then JUDDD now Stillman's
Start Date: JUDDD 3/28/12/ Stillmans 11/26/12 again 1/1/14
yucky feeling

Need a little advice here. . .

I have been JUDDDing for 15 days now. I have been following protocol and all, low carbing along the way. The thing is, I am sooooo sleepy. Not necessarily real tired, but sleepy. I have also noticed weakness in my arms and a bit cloudy brained. I have been taking vitamins on top of this for a week now, thinking I could need the boost but doesn't seem to be helping.

Any advice and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
llindsey26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Were you low carbing before you started JUDDD? I think that if you just got back into LC, combined with the DDs, you might be tired for awhile. I've done LC before and it takes me a few weeks to adjust to little to no carbs. DDs can make people feel weak/tired too for awhile, but people usually end up feeling great on them after awhile. What are your calorie limits?

I think that it will start to get better as you progress.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
I felt sluggish and tired as well, but it seems the past 2 days I've had boundless energy, so perhaps my "magic" has kicked into gear (today is Day 16 of JUDDD). I've read from some that it can take up to 3-4 weeks to feel the euphoria and energy boost, so all I could recommend is to hang in there!
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I began low carbing a couple of weeks before switching to JUDDD. I have been using the 500/2000 limits but my DD seem to hang around 420. Some UPs I really struggle to hit the 2000 mark, but not these past few ones, due to Easter and stuff. Another thing I have noticed is that the days that seem to be the worse are my UP. I wake up and am that way all day long, so I'm not sluggish due to lack of calories that day. I don't know. I have lost 7 lbs in 15 days, which makes me extremely happy so I am trying not to give up. I have the will power, just don't know if my body likes this WOE.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Just want to offer and to say, hang in there if you can at all. Maybe the SIRT1 gene has not fully kicked in yet. Are you getting enough sleep at night?

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by llindsey26 View Post
I began low carbing a couple of weeks before switching to JUDDD. I have been using the 500/2000 limits but my DD seem to hang around 420. Some UPs I really struggle to hit the 2000 mark, but not these past few ones, due to Easter and stuff. Another thing I have noticed is that the days that seem to be the worse are my UP. I wake up and am that way all day long, so I'm not sluggish due to lack of calories that day. I don't know. I have lost 7 lbs in 15 days, which makes me extremely happy so I am trying not to give up. I have the will power, just don't know if my body likes this WOE.
I would try to stick it out awhile longer. I still get a little more tired on my UDs, especially after I eat. But, I've always had days where I'm more tired or not so tired...so this isn't anything out of the ordinary. 7lbs in 15 days is AMAZING! Losing that much weight, that fast, can put a toll on the body. Let your body catch up before you decide if this WOE is for you.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Not all health related issues can be laid at your WOE door. Sometimes we just don't feel well, no reason at all. Also sometimes it's not always what we are eating but what may be "eating" us that can cause us to feel sluggish and foggy.

Give it a little more time, maybe another couple UDs and DDs and then I would check with my doctor to see if there could be another medical issue going on instead of JUDDD.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
When does the feeling start? Is it with you from the time you wake up? Does it begin at a particular time of day or after a particular meal?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Well, I just seen the doc a week ago but was distracted and forgot to discuss this. I know I know. Also, we travel full time and I am now hours away from her, so. .

I have been feeling this way for, hmmm, maybe a 8-9 days? The first week, other than me feeling like I was starving to death on DD, I felt fine.

I wake up on my UP just feeling like I haven't slept enough and it sticks with me all day. I honestly just feel better on my DD I think. Maybe after the calories consumed on the prior day?

Sorry for being a pain guys.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
So sorry you aren't feeling your best. I wish there was some sort of way to test if the Sirt gene is activated in our bodies. Then at least you could rule that out. Have you been tested for Vitamin D deficiency? Also, I have read some reviews from people on JUDDD who experienced the same issues also on LC. Why not try adding some quinoa or buckwheat on your UD and see if that helps?
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
What kind of carbs are you eating?
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

I have some vitamin D on its way. Due to hardly any time in the sun, not a variety of food, and no dairy, could be deficiant in D.

My carb intake has been minimal. All from veggies. Veggies and lean meat is all I have been eating.

Thank you guys for your help. I am going to give it a little more time adding some more vitamins in and we will see how this goes.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
When I was dragging around after starting JUDDD someone suggested I add some carbs and I added whole oat groats for breakfast and it made all the difference in the world. I guess I was staying too low carb due to habit. No longer since I eat anything now.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
I was sluggish too, I added some fruits and dreamsfield pasta and they picked me right up.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I had to increase my carb increase a little as well. I still eat mostly LC but I might have a piece of toast with PB or something on an UD.

What else has changed in your diet? Anything else it could be?

You mentioned you were travelling...coudl it be related to that? I have this thing whenever I go somewhere, I want to sleep the whole vacation away. Drives ppl nuts but for some reason I get sleepy & tired when I travel. That's why I usually opt for "laying on the beach doing nothing" trips

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

When stress is weakening your will and your knees is when you need the TLC of LC the most.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Also, are you getting enough EFA's? Check your food to see if you are getting enough fats. I find Omega 3 particularly helpful for getting extra energy, and D3 is best taken with extra fat, as it's a fat soluble vitamin...

I hope you feel better soon and you find out what's causing your tiredness!

xxx
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

I have contemplated not low carbing anymore, just JUDDDing. Not too sure yet.

In regards to traveling, we work while we travel so we stay in one place for a couple of months. We just moved a couple of days ago but only a couple hours drive. Any other time, that would be my guess too because I am the same way as you Deanne.

I take a super omega complex every morning along with B's. Only thing I haven't taken in a long time, like months, is D.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by llindsey26 View Post
Need a little advice here. . .

I have been JUDDDing for 15 days now. I have been following protocol and all, low carbing along the way. The thing is, I am sooooo sleepy. Not necessarily real tired, but sleepy. I have also noticed weakness in my arms and a bit cloudy brained. I have been taking vitamins on top of this for a week now, thinking I could need the boost but doesn't seem to be helping.

Any advice and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Lots of good suggestions given to you to consider.

When you mentioned weakness in arms, that made me think of when I had a potassium deficiency, I also had muscle weakness. I felt it in my arms and some in my legs and elsewhere. I had leg cramps and restless legs. This was years ago when a medicine I was taking caused me to be unable to eat much and also have GI issues in the br... My doctor did blood test and put me on potassium until it went away.

I had similar but milder symptoms when I started LC last summer. It wasn't nearly as bad, but I was getting weakness, fatigue, leg cramps, and I "knew" it was lack of potassium again. I started taking the 99 mg. stuff you get from the store, and it went away. But since you said you had been LCg a couple weeks before starting JUDDD, perhaps this is also what has happened to you - that you were feeling the "LC flu" (which in my case when I had it, was at least partly due to low potassium).

You mention it is worse on UDs, perhaps that's because you've just come off a DD of relatively less nutrition (which normally wouldn't be an issue since it's 1 day, but this could be a build-up of low potassium going on). Then on the UD you are eating more and feeling better into your next DD, and it repeats.

This past week I've had a less than stellar diet due to GI issues, and last night I started having leg cramps and they continue today. I thought it was perhaps because I've been unable to eat as much nutrition this past week and haven't been taking vitamins, so I again started the 99 mg. potassium again. BTW, I got the OK from my doc to take this if I want/need to, but I can't recommend someone just start taking a lot of K without seeing their doctor first and getting the blood work.

Speaking of bloodwork, even if my K is just on the low end of normal range, I'll start getting symptoms.

These aren't the only times I've had low potassium, and sorry if I went on too much, but I just wanted to bring that up as a possibility. Perhaps your are deficient in K or your electrolytes are unbalanced otherwise. Be sure to go to the doc and get blood tests to be sure before you start taking a lot of K. It is something that can affect your heart, so can't be taken lightly. It may be sodium that is the issue too, if it has anything to do with electrolytes at all, so do be sure to get tested to know what's really going on.

You said you were recently in to see the doc... perhaps you could call and let them know you were recently in, but forgot to mention these symptoms and that you'd intended to ask for blood work, and see if they will just let you pick up the order and have it done. Might save you another office call.

You might try low-sodium V8 in the meantime, or bananas and other naturally loaded K foods and see how you feel.

Let us know how it goes.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-11-2012 at 10:27 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
So much wisdom here. What a lot of wonderful people you all are.

I back the Vit D3 and a few more carbs. I know this isn't what you asked, but one of the great joys of JUDDD is freedom to enjoy all the food on the planet. That in itself is enough to make one feel good.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
ive felt the exact same way. dd are fine
even the arm thng. the arm thing seems to have passed.
are you taking potasium supps? due to low carbin you haaaaaaave to take supps.
what you may want to consider is doing a fruit day as your dd.
good carbs and get your dd calories from fruit.
once i started that i felt much better but still tired more han im use to
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Yes, the potassium did cross my mind. I have to take a water pill for my blood pressure, which also depletes potassium levels. I am feeling better today, but of course it is a DD. I think that having a fruit DD is really a good idea, even tho I am lc.

I know the benefits of JUDDD is the freedom of the foods on UD. For the benefits of control though, I need to lc. Otherwise I will find myself eating this eating that, probably mostly empty calories. On the other hand, I do allow myself a treat if I have any. Actually lately I have been needing to fill a major calorie gap on UD. So, I will have a caramel Easter egg or something. . So I guess I am doing a combo of moderate to no carb really.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
The combination of low carb and the diuretic would point strongly to potassium to me.

If you can find coconut water (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's type places), it is really good for balancing electrolytes and potassium.

Just don't let it go too far. Potassium deficiency, if that's what it is, can be really serious.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote