Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: free2b
Stats: 248/225/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Does anyone else do this?

Do you plan your UD meals ahead of time? I have found that I subtract as I go during the day. I kind of fly by the seat of my pants, if you know what I mean. For instance... this morning I had two HB eggs and two slices of toast. I felt like I wanted something else and went to the cafateria and got a half order of "messy potatoes". Then at lunch I went back to the cafateria and looked at everything and decided on four pork pot stickers. Anyway, I did not plan this but it seems to work for me. I have been low carb for years and am now finding it feels good to break away some.

I also figure my calories high when I look up things, just to be on the safe side. When I looked up Pot Stickers I found them around 300 cal for 4 to 5. I alowed 400 ca. because they were deep fried. It's kind of tough to get exact calories when you eat at work. Maybe I should just bring lunch and skip the cafateria. What do you guys do?
free2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
I would skip the cafeteria food anyhows

I do plan my UD meals, I do it while I am laying in bed hungry on my DD
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I plan most of the time. But my plan often changes because when it's time to fix a meal I'm just in the mood for something else. LOL I'm fortunate to be home most days so meal planning & prep is much easier than for those of you who work away from home. I think if I had to do that I'd be bringing most meals with me. Otherwise I'd go to the cafeteria and end up with who knows how many calories. LOL
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ditto on what Kathy said above ^

I work from home a lot, but then I also travel for work often-- either way, I find planning helps me, in that on the DD's I want to make sure I'm getting nutrition and not empty calories, and on UDs I want to stay relatively LC (my choice, others are fine eating whatever) and I need to learn what my UD calories feel like, so I try to plan it out.

then, if changes happen on the fly, I have an idea of what my wiggle room is, and since my app is both online and on my blackberry (I'm using *********), I can make changes in either place and have it reflected in both automatically. Better living through technology!

that said, I better go figure out dinner, so I can determine what to have for lunch!

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I planned my UD's at first, mostly because I had trouble getting enough calories in if I just ate to my hunger, so I needed to know how many snacks I needed to add. Since I eat the same stuff all the time, I know how it stacks up now, and don't really need to plan. I can hit the number pretty well most days. I do enter my foods to *** by mid-afternoon, so if I am low, I have time to add some in.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Like Tina, I started out planning UDs because I kept forgetting to eat. I had a busy family emergency the first two months and would just literally forget about food. THESE days life is calmer and, because I like to cook, I have to plan UDs to make sure I have all the ingredients (last night was oysters crusted in a crispy coating of bearnaise sauce/bread crumbs with sauteed parmesan spinach/artichoke. Hitting those UD calories is a tough job )
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I don't plan ahead as I never know what I'll be in the mood for! So far it's working for me, but I do have the occasional UD where it's 9pm and I'm still 1,000 calories short of goal.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: InTheLight
Stats: 255/235/160 -- 5'7" tall
WOE: Low carb/cutting back
Start Date: Re-starting strong!! June 2014
I do what Babykinz does, I figure out what I'm going to eat on my DD evenings (when I'm hungry!). I am using ************, and post what I'm going to eat the evening before, add or take away foods to adjust to my UD calories - I work in an office setting, and by doing it this way, I'll know what I'll be eating for the day. I also print out each menu plan and keep them in a folder, let's me see prior meals/menus, and this seems to work for me!

I've got brand new knees, a wonderful Blessing from the Lord!!!

InTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I don't usually plan, but I tend to eat the same things over and over, so it's all in my notebook. On DD's I don't eat till later in the day (4:15 now and just finished the cabbage, chix and cheese recipe-YUM). I still have some room for something later if I need it. On up days, I usually have a good brunch and one other meal, plus a snack at night to take my meds. I'm satisfied and full, and all is well!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
On my DDs, I go to bed and happily think about what I get to eat the next day. Makes for some interesting dreaming later on!

I do plan because I'm so new to counting calories and want to make sure I fuel up enough for the next DD. Takes awhile, but I've read others who have been doing it longer say that it becomes second nature to know how many cals are in particular things.

I did read something that helped me - I like to eat my larger meal in the evening so a poster a couple of days ago said they plan the supper meal and work backwards.

As far as cafeteria food, I guess without their nutritional info available, it's eat at your own risk. Like you, I'd probably add cals to be safe.
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post

I did read something that helped me - I like to eat my larger meal in the evening so a poster a couple of days ago said they plan the supper meal and work backwards.
I do that my pizza (LC crust) tonight is going to be 1400 calories! Once I knew that, I figured what I could have for lunch... and I bet I won't be able to eat the whole 'za, but if I do, I've accounted for it.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
I don't plan - as may be evident buy some of my days! However, I can't imagine deciding what I'm planning eating one day the day before. The only time I might plan, is if I know I'm going out for lunch or dinner.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I plan every single day. And I have really good intentions. And then they just seem to go out the window because I never want what I set out to have.

The only "plan" I consistently stick to is staying under my calories.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I do plan and usually stick pretty close to it. Not always but usually.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I'm having trouble sticking to my UD limits probably because I don't plan my UDs. Too busy with work/travel. I don't seem to have a problem sticking to DDs as I know I just can't eat or plan for low cal options. Today was an UD for me and a travel day so I didn't cook, pack or plan and I ate out breakfast, lunch and dinner and ate waaay too many calories. I need a new plan for UDs. Maybe fast through lunch or have a small, low-cal lunch (e.g a yogurt) and then have a free dinner meal? Anyone have any strategies to share?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
Anyone have any strategies to share?
do you have a smartphone or some sort of mobile device? I find that using an app (some here use *********, or ************, or a site I like just for nutrition info is calorieking.com) -- anyway, then you could sort of plan as you go.

What I really like in the app I use is that they have a ton of restaurant (chain) information-- so if you have an inkling of where you're traveling to, you can see what's around (google maps) and then say, hey, I can get a taco salad at taco bell, or the X salad at chili's, etc.

Also, you could bring some shakes or something like veggie snacks with you, even on the UD, so you're not eating out all the time?