Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Spring Exercise (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/767174-spring-exercise.html)

b_lou_who 04-10-2012 08:50 AM

Spring Exercise

I get to start riding my bike to work soon, love that.
Been doing gentle rebounding and a very little work on my pilates chair. Total gym here and there. mostly there. Walking once or twice a week.
Just ordered myself a weighted hula hoop. My core is really my worst area, I am a big blobby apple in the middle.
A woman I have known since fourth grade recommended one to me.

Anyone ever used a weighted hula hoop? What do you do for exercise? I HATE videos, won't go to classes. And cannot stand getting hot. What a whiny baby :cry:

InTheLight 04-10-2012 08:58 AM

Ahhhh, the wonderful weighted hula hoop!! I have one too; when I go to Curves, I take time to hula hoop for a bit after doing my circuit workout. For me, someone who has serious knee issues, it is one of the best aerobic and core strengthening workouts around!! I just listen to the music and see how long I can hula hoop, then rest, then do about 4 reps like that, and by the time I'm done, I am sweating and tired!! My wonderful DD went and bought me one from there, so now I can choose to hula hoop even when the weather's bad and I don't want to go out. I do know that there are hula hoop videos out there that instruct you on how to make it a total workout, so maybe google it and see what comes up (I think I saw a youtube video or two as well) -

You will luv it; let me know how that choice of workout goes for you!! :D :kicking: :D :up:

adillenal 04-10-2012 09:02 AM

Even with a layer of fat, my weighted hula hoop bruises me pretty seriously around my hip bones. I rarely use it anymore since it beats me up so much. Mine came with a video but off hand I can't remember where I got it. It lives under my bed where it can't get me.

Curvesgal 04-10-2012 09:07 AM

About 8 years ago I tried using the weighted hulu hoop but it bruised my sides and hurt my lower back. I gave it up quickly.

KathyL 04-10-2012 10:54 AM

I have never heard of a weighted hula hoop! I was thinking about trying my dd's reg. HH to see if I could even keep a it up.

I'm not one to give advice.....I'm an exercise junkie! LOL I started just walking on my treadmill last year. Once it got warm enough I walked outside and biked when it wasn't too windy. Then I started working out with weights (video) which I loved. Once the weather got cold in fall I didn't want to go back to using the treadmill so started walking videos and though I thought they would be lame they were really good!

This year I've added some kick boxing and yoga videos. Just ordered a t'ai chi video to try. I do have access to a small gym nearby but don't like going by myself and I don't like going when other people are there. Silly, I know. Dh works nights and sometimes we'll go in the middle of the night (on his 'weekend') so if anyone is there it's usually only one or two people. Dh says it's more fun at the big place he goes to in town where he works. There are so many people no one is noticing what everyone else is doing. LOL

b_lou_who 04-10-2012 11:40 AM

I read a lot before I ordered, just got a professional smooth 2 pound hoop, not a heavier or ridged one. Supposedly the weight is easier to keep up and hoop with than unweighted.
Most people say they lose serious waist/hip inches, and any hoop of substance can bruise when you first start using one, so they recommend only 2 minutes a day to start. I hope I can do two minutes. That's about what I did when I started rebounding too.
Will report back, it will be here next week. I've been eyeballing youtube for instructional videos. WOW are there some talented guys and gals hooping out there.

KathyL 04-10-2012 12:47 PM

Would you mind sharing what you got and where? I was just googling and see they even have small ones for your arms. Looks like fun!

I tried rebounding last year...enjoyed it and was going 30 minutes but it was really making my back hurt so I stopped. :/

b_lou_who 04-10-2012 01:02 PM

I only do max of 20 minutes at a time rebounding, usually 10-15 and have a good rebounder. My neighbor bought a mediocre one and it hurts her too.

I got mine on amazon, Amazon.com: Weighted Hula Hoop for Exercise and Fitness -...Amazon.com: Weighted Hula Hoop for Exercise and Fitness -... pink and purple 42"
I saw the arm ones, but I feel like those would end up in the same pile as the shake weight. ;)

sophiethecat 04-10-2012 01:05 PM

Let us know how you like the hoop, Lou.

My only exercise is 2 min. of gentle bouncing on rebounder 1 - 3 x per day. It does a lot of nice things though. :)

KathyL 04-10-2012 01:08 PM

That's the one I was looking at....and actually the set that included the arm hoops. Told you I was an exercise junkie! LOL 15 minutes of hooping at my body weight burns 100 calories. Not bad.

I was jumping on our full size trampoline. My chiro said it's safe and that maybe I should have just started slower. Like 5 minutes and gradually work up. But I'm reluctant to try it again.

InTheLight 04-10-2012 02:22 PM

I remember that when I first started using the weighted hula hoop, it was hurting my sides, so I only did it for a short while. I would wait a few days or so before attempting it again, and so on and so on. Now I can do the hoop for a good 10 minutes or so with no pain, I just make sure I am clothed good to create a cushion, and not wear anything thin where I could get hurt again; enjoy! :D