Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Hardest DD ever

So a little back story, on friday I was working on my computer in my office and my son started SCREAMING. I ran over to him (he was right in the next room watching tv) and he was on the floor trying to get up and he couldn't push himself up. He just kept screaming. I quickly realized that he had been climbing onto the back of the couch and he fell over the edge and fell on his side. (He's 2.5 years old). He's a really, really tough kid and hardly ever cries so I knew something was wrong. But he eventually calmed down, there was no bruising, no swelling, he was able to move his shoulder (though it did pain him but he could move it) and I finally decided that he was OK but sore. He was supposed to go to my parents for Easter weekend that evening but I decided to keep him at home until saturday to see how he slept. He slept like a baby all night, still sore in the morning but I figured at this point that it was normal to be sore after falling 3-4 feet onto your side. So I took him to my parents.

They dropped him back off today saying that he's still in a lot of pain. I noticed that his shoulder was drooping and he was holding his arm to his side, POOR baby. So at this point I decided to take him to the walk in emergency clinic as his pediatrician was still closed for Easter holiday. Waited 5 hours to see a doctor, finally got the X-ray, and yup... broken collarbone. He showed it to me on the x-ray and it wasn't just a crack, the bones are completely separated. I think I felt like the world's WORST mother then. Plus all the questions they ask to make sure that you're not beating your child, Im just thinking... they are judging me for not watching him, letting him fall... This whole time I didn't eat a single thing, it's now 5pm, and he's asking for McDonalds... and truly, at this point I would have given him the moon if I could, so McDonalds it is. I don't think anyone here would have held it against me if I had said that I ate McDonalds after a horrible stressful day, but I didn't. My whole family had it and I just fasted, after Sam finally went to bed I had some veggie soup and pickles.

Really the hardest DD for me so far. Just a really hard day overall.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Please don't feel like the world's worst mom. Children fall. They just do. You could have been right beside him and he could have fallen.

I can certainly relate to your feelings though.
It has been many many years since my only child broke his collarbone when he fell off of his pony. We didn't know it was broken for like two days since he really didn't act like it hurt. Then his pediatrician acted like an A** when I took him in and I had to act worse than her to get an X-ray and yep it was broken. Collarbones are one of those bones that aren't as easy to detect as broken as some others.

All is well now and I hope for a speedy recovery for your son. Hope he enjoyed his McDonald's treat. And good for you for staying true to your DD and here's hoping your UD tomrrow will be a better day.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Kids are kids, and they get hurt. I didn't wrap my daughter in cotton and not let her play and get dirty....she grew up on a farm on horses and believe me there were scratches and bumps! I remember when Ashley took her first steps, right in front of me....she walked from the couch to the coffee table where she fell forward, hit her head on table and had to have stitches on her eyebrow. What was I supposed to do? Not let her try to walk? She had already been walking holding my hand for awhile, so it was time for her to strike out on her own. ***** happens!

I hate that your baby got hurt but don't beat yourself up.

Congrats though on not eating the Mickey D's!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I know children get hurt... I'm just kicking myself for letting him out of my sight all weekend! Argh, not that they really do anything for a collar bone, I just have to keep an eye out and make sure nobody bumps his shoulder, keep him dosed with Advil for the pain... and go back in 2 weeks to see if it's mending. But his whimpers of pain make me want to cry, I think I could deal better if he were older and understood why it hurt, as it stands he is not understanding very much other than it hurts.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
just lots and lots of and you are a GREAT Mommie. I can hear it in your voice.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
to both you and him! Poor baby and I have been in your place a few times with both my kids so I KNOW you aren't a bad Mom!!

Life happens and we eat what we have to when we have to. Take care of him and you, that is ALL that matters!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
You aren't a bad mom!

As Beeb just said, "Life happens"!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Hazel...^^^^^^^what everyone said. I feel the exact same. I raised 2 boys and then have been raising a granddaughter who is now 13, and poop does happen. Just sooooo sorry for you and your baby boy. My prayers are with you. (I broke my collar bone as a baby too. My mom thought I was napping and was out of the room, and I tried to climb out of my baby bed and fell!)

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
Oh Julie, please don't beat yourself up about it. I know it's hard not to, but you really just acted on what you knew, and you're definitely a good mom.
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
Hi Julie,

How's DS doing today?

I just wanted to send good thoughts both your ways and agree with everyone here; you're a good mom!

xxx
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
for you and your son. You acted with love and care. You really did.

And, congrats on not giving in to stress eating fast food! On a churning adult tummy, I suspect McD food would not have digested easily.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
What a horrible accident. And that's just what it was, an accident. Poor little guy won't even remember it when he's older, at least not as vividly as YOU will. DD7 had bladder surgery at 2 and it's all a blur to her.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
Start Date: Jan 2012
Julie--I have a friend thats Dad is a Doctor and he went 2 days with an undiagnosed broken arm. Proof that things like this happen to almost everyone.

Congrats on not stress eating. It would have been very easy to give in to due to the circumstances.
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Kudos to you for being strong and not letting life's sh*t make you mess up your eating plan!

My DD23 still teases me about being a lousy mom because when she was 7, she jumped off the stairs and landed with her toes tucked under. I assumed she was okay, but after she was still limping a little 10 days later, I finally had it x-rayed. She had a little greenstick fracture in her foot and it was too late to do anything about it.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

He doesn't seem to be doing too badly this morning, he's stolen my ipad AND my ipod and has somehow devised a method to use them both at once. I'm happy because it keeps him sitting down and calm. He slept all night, only woke up crying once and I gave him some Advil and he went right back to sleep. Freaks me out though because he keeps rolling over and sleeping on the side with the broken clavicle!

And yay me resisting the McDonalds still caused a 2 pound gain on my scale, bouncing ball indeed! I'm sure stress is not good for weight loss! But I did make it through my DD and I think I'll just no weigh anymore this week, I'm probably going to remain stressed to various degrees in the upcoming weeks so I'll control what I can (food that goes in my mouth and exercise) and let go of what I can't (what my body decides to do with it!)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Julie, what a stressful time you pad. Any mother can relate. My daughter when she was 4, I think.
We had finished eating dinner and she wanted to rush out to swing on her new swing set.
So I let and I told her I'd be right out when I finish brushing my teeth. So that's what happened I was watching her out the bathroom window. And I saw she was swinging too high. Before I could get out of the house to get to her she had fallen out of the swing. She screamed and we sat on the porch for three hours she would not let me move. Long story, but two days later finally took her to doctor. Waited two long days before her dad agreed to take her, he's brainless. And happy to say my X. Thank goodness.
X-ray showed a hair line frature at her wrist. She had cast but on, doctor said the bone would heal fine without cast. But I wanted it cause it really bothered her to be bumped. BOY DID BEAT MYSELF UP. And really wanted TO BEAT HER DADfor sure...I just needed to tell u that this morning.
plus when she got older and in 2nd grade she fell at school and had the same hair line fracture in other wrist. SO, boy stuff happens. And I'm sorry ur little guy had the accident. my daughter wants a cryer either. I knew she was really hurt. BOY looking back(which I shouldnt do) some things I'd live over. Much nicer ending. Hugs.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Momto2boysNJ
Stats: 2 be Physically Fit
WOE: LC for ME!
As my name shows, I'm the mom of 2 boys and while I am very thankful they haven't broken anything... yet.. we've had our share of trips to the ER! I would have done the same as you. He settled down, was sore but not in too much pain, ok life is normal! Don't beat yourself up!
Momto2boysNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Awww, poor little guy. I hope it heals quickly. And WTG Julie for not caving into McDs!!! I think I would have and I never eat at that place. LOL
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: InTheLight
Stats: 255/235/160 -- 5'7" tall
WOE: Low carb/cutting back
Start Date: Re-starting strong!! June 2014
I've got a story too, my youngest daughter when she was young, was at a licenced daycare facility, stood up on the swing, director told her to get down and not do it again, he turns his back for a second, she had gotten back up, fell out of the swing, and her tooth went through her lip, blood everywhere, we had to rush her to emergency, it was awful, but things like this happen, kids are gonna be kids, no one was at fault ... Love and hugs to you, proud of you for sticking to your DD; your baby's gonna be just fine!!!

I've got brand new knees, a wonderful Blessing from the Lord!!!

InTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
So sorry you're going through all this, Julie. Children are amazingly resilient, and your boy has a great Mom, he will heal and be fine. So will your weight when the stress level goes down again.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ugh he had me bawling at nap time. He started to tantrum during lunch and I couldn't understand what he wanted to tell me so after a while I just bundled him up to go to bed. But he was still in full blown tantrum mode so after I tried unsuccesfully to calm him down I just put him down in his crib, which he didn't like so he started throwing himself onto his mattress which of course hurt him which made him scream in pain and then he'd do it all over again, I just couldn't handle it I couldn't stop crying which probably didn't help matters, I felt so helpless. He finally calmed down but I just... ugh. UGH.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Just sending you a hug hun. As a mum to two boys, I know EXACTLY how you feel...when our little ones are hurt, we hurt twice as much! Your DS will heal quickly at his age, and very soon will have no memory of having been hurt...its us mums who never forget!
Will be thinking of you...please keep us posted on your little ones progress.
hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Julie, I am so sorry! Hope that the days get better for you! It is tough to have a broken collarbone. Bless you for all that you are dealing with!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins

He's only 2!!! Give him time to do wayyyyyyyy more lol!!! My hubby and I joke about how my son and I bounded in the ER. When he was 2 he wanted to go down the "big" slide, so up we went and down he went before I could grab him.....4 stitches under the eye. Then when he was 3 he was climbing a bookshelf while I was getting dressed, he tumbled, it tumbled.......20 stitches on his tongue (bite right throw it!). A week later......same dang thing, he tumbled, shelf tumbled..........30 more stitches on his tongue (he has a scar of a cross on his tongue now, tell him its his angels watching over him now!). Age 4 went through a wouldnt sleep stage. We would sleep on the couch. I fall asleep hard one night and he snuck by. I woke to him giggling, standing on top of the bathroom sink, spray the hell out of everything in the bathroom including himself with bleach water......luckily phone call to posion control we realized he was ok. Fastfoward til age 5. His dad came home, he was excited, ran straight off the edge of the porch......broken collarbone. This is just the things I didnt catch!!! Lucky for me I have caught his "ideas" faster than he couldnt make it happen! I remember once he tied a sled to the top of the swing set and was gonna ride it down the slide....... I caught him before he had a chance for it to fail.......the rope was to short and would of snapped him right to the ground!!!

Now my daughter.........lol!!!.......... She has had lots of sports injuries. Shes a catcher and always in home plate collisions. We have had sprained ankles, broken toes, broken nose, broken finger, stretched ligaments......you name it!!!! Goodness!!! And that is just softball.........she plays basketball and soccer too!!!

Needless to say.......my kids have had thier share of "boo boo's" and are now the age of 15 and 14 and know everything!!!! Its all good!!! They dont grow any worse for wear! Its always hard when they are little but believe it or not with each new injury it gets better........really!!!!!!!! I dont panic and cry like I used to.......now I just tell them walk it off or rub dirt in it.......lol!!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!

Last edited by krow134; 04-10-2012 at 07:28 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Ugh he had me bawling at nap time. He started to tantrum during lunch and I couldn't understand what he wanted to tell me so after a while I just bundled him up to go to bed. But he was still in full blown tantrum mode so after I tried unsuccesfully to calm him down I just put him down in his crib, which he didn't like so he started throwing himself onto his mattress which of course hurt him which made him scream in pain and then he'd do it all over again, I just couldn't handle it I couldn't stop crying which probably didn't help matters, I felt so helpless. He finally calmed down but I just... ugh. UGH.

Honey, you need to stop being so hard on yourself. Things happen and as humans we are gonig to experience painful things once in a while. That is part of the experience and the ride. He decided to jump/play on the couch and unfortunately he learned the hard way why that's not a good idea. Better he learn these things NOW then when the stakes get higher (skate boarding behind a car or doing some other more dangerous thing!).

I have 2 boys as well. My baby is 22 mos right now and he just fractured his hip. He and his brother got tousled and he slammed onto the hardwood floors. He couldn't walk the first day and now that it's been 2 weeks, he still limps like an old man. The worst part is that he cries and screams every time his brother comes near him....and of course the older one thinks is a VERY funny game...my nerves, OTOH have had enough of that game.

My mother tells me never ends. You worry about them as long as you are alive. So I guess we better pace ourselves

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Oh my! Some of these stories!

Please don't beat yourself up. I'm sorry today was so rough. I've had those days when all you can do is cry right along with them. Praying you get a good night's sleep, and things are better tomorrow.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
It can be hard, just dealing with the tantrums of the 'terrible twos'.

Combining that with worrying about how much pain DS is feeling AND the inevitable guilt/frustration of realizing you cannot completely know all and protect him from everything .. well, all that can certainly invoke tears.

Huge hug. YOU are going to get through this. You are both going to be alright.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow some of your stories... eeeep!

Thanks guys, I just needed to get those feelings out! I'm truly not trying to feel sorry for myself or anything of the sort, I've been taking it pretty well in a "oh well, stuff happens" kind of way but I hit a few bumps along the road (like during the nap tantrum). Mostly I just give him a lot of (careful) cuddles and make sure the iPad is stocked with games to capture his attention and keep him playing calmly!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Big hugs, Julie!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote