Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Off to a Very Rough Start (long)

Hey everyone...

Well, I was very excited to begin my first DD today until I weighed myself yesterday. I am in total shock- I weigh a full 12 pounds over what I originally estimated. I honestly can't believe it- how could this have happened? The only change the last 6 months is that I went off birth control after 14 years of taking the pill but I thought this would make me LOSE weight, not gain! I am sure that part of this is my responsibility, but I just can't believe how high my weight is and how I just didn't realize it. Thinking I was starting at 1 number and finding out I am more behind than I thought is very disheartening.

The thing is, I have been struggling with my weight since I was 13 years old, gaining and losing 40 plus pounds almost yearly. I don't know WHY I can't remain consistent. Clearly I am eating too much but I just can't seem to get a handle on it. Like many people, I have tried every pill, plan, guru, etc thinking "this is the ONE!" and being left disappointed and broke every time.

I am afraid that JUDDD will be just another let down, wrecking my already screwed up metabolism even more, resulting in yet another summer of trying to hide under clothing, making excuses not to go to the beach, and feeling overall inadequate and like a failure.

I'm thinking maybe I should just resign myself to WW and a life of counting points, using a calculator, and carrying around those stupid booklets and guides. I'm just so afraid to do any more damage to myself. What do you all think?

I'm sorry to vent and unload all of this on you, but I have a feeling many people understand these emotions.

The good news is I haven't eaten yet today, out of sheer anger at myself. I plan on still going to Bikram today after work, even though I slept about 3 restless and depressed hours last night. So I haven't totally given up yet.

nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
Please do not despair-I remember when I stepped on the scale and saw that number staring back at me and I though how did I let this happen-there is no way I can be in the 270's. Just start where you are and go from there, no amount of beating yourself up will help-if anything it will make you feel worse and resort to mindless eating. You can do this and I have found that JUDDD is a workable solution for me-if I want something I CAN wait a day to have it-there is no you can never eat that again in this WOL and that makes it easier for me to stay on play. Stay focused and just concentrate on this day and you will do it-best of luck to you in your weight loss journey and NEVER give up-you are worth the fight!!!

JUDDD 3/18/12 180 pounds 6/27 166 9/17 161

Link to my photos
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnjc
lynnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
When was the last time you weighed before today?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks lynn- I really appreciate the kind words.

I weighed myself back in October (right when I discontinued the pill) and I was 148. I am now 163.

On a sidenote, does anyone have experience with going off BC and weight gain?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Since you really don't know when you gained, I'd suggest sticking to juddd for a couple of weeks and weigh a little more often, or even at the end of that 2 week "trial", so you have a better idea of your gain/loss than 6 months apart
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Nicki!

I do know this feeling!!! I can assure you that JUDDD is like nothing I have ever tried and I did well on WW and Hcg, but this is so miraculous for folks with sluggish metabolisms. I feel your anxiety and the best way to handle the feeling is to stay true to your numbers for DD & UD! The rest will fall in to place!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

aww thanks Sunday! I need the hugs today. Looks like I will be ordering a green juice for lunch and making a protein shake for dinner so that I can have a proper first DD. I will give it a month and hope that I have the same success that you all have. I really appreciate the support!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
Coming from a girl who has always been the gordita. Or cute little fat one in the family... I understand. Every diet promised results, but it was too hard to keep up. Low carbing showed me the dangers of sugar and exactly why I gained 40 pounds in under three years.

With Juddd, I get to be in control. If I make a mistake, Juddd is very forgiving. Using my food knowledge from low card dd are a breeze and my Ud are amazing.

Give Juddd at least 2 weeks to one month. Go to the calculator on the main website and stick to those numbers. If you are worried or scarred, post them here... These ladies and few guys, have become my lifeline. I check the board every hour to see motivational tips and wonderful food finds.

It won't be easy, but it gets easier. I low carbed for 2 months and lost 20. I stalled for two months and said screw this... I want my bread. I found Juddd and although I dont see drastic weightloss, which could have been do water weight loss, I know I am losing inches.

As for remaining constant, Juddd is supposed to be easy to maintain. Check out the maintain thread... You gain a pound after reaching your goal... The lower dd calories for a few days.

I think Juddd might work well for you... It will give you the power back.

Loving Life with JUDDD and my bouncy chart!
" I'm like a rubber ball, Baby that's all that I am to you
(Bouncy, bouncy) (bouncy, bouncy)" - Bobby Vee
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Nicki: More big from me!!!

My advice is that you continue to read and learn as much as you can about nutrition. You already know a lot if you have tried many plans. Sometimes you just need a fresh start.

If you have not read Johnson's book yet, I recommend you do. It will motivate you to know that as you practice the DD/UD rotations you are doing something good for your body. You are actually working to speed up that sluggish metabolism and activate a process that will take stored fat out of your body and prevent future fat storage.

Take a lot of time to go over the chapter on the "Silent Information Regulators" which are the SIR genes in our bodies. SIRT1 especially acts through the calorie restriction of DDs to totally re-program your system.

It does take about 3 weeks to become fully stocked but begins activation on your very first DD. Some people see a big drop in weight the first week on JUDD for others it may take as long as a month for the body to heal in several ways before it is ready to show you a consistent downward trend on the scale.

Do take your measurements when you start. At the very least measure your waist. The fat melting magic of the sirtuin enzymes usually begin to let people see inches start melting away pretty quickly. The scale will eventually catch up because while fat is voluminous, taking up lots of space, for the volume it's not as heavy as muscle.

Turn your anger around into some positive energy and you will be able to do this. Keep coming to the boards for encouragement. You will find lots of it here.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
You're right, discontinuing BC is not the problem. The increased hormones in The Pill usually cause a fuller figure, although, that is something you can control.

Since you haven't weighed since Oct, weight probably was sneaking on over the holidays, etc.

Juddd is perfect for the inconsistent!!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Oh hun! First off I understand your frustrations! I have gone from that underweight teen to that overweight mom! I hate being called the "fat sister"! Nothing is more miserable than having people watch you eat and make comments! Seriously we have all been there at some point! Now the magic of JUDDD is, its a diet but part time! Every other day you keep calories as low as you can. And the best part....your not gonna miss anything! You can have it the next day! Why not give it a chance! Give it some time to "kick in" and you will be amazed at what happens! Not just weightloss.....but your skin, your hair, your willpower, your overall mood! I could go on and on about the wonderful things that have been happening to my body, but I think your getting the idea! I do suggest first and for most....measure yourself!! In my month of JUDDD, my scale has bounced, pole vaulted, then bounced again.....but I have lost a total of 10 inches!!! In a month! Better results than any other WOE has given me! We are here for your, we will lift you when your down, cry with you, laugh with you.....whatever it takes to help you throught! Any other way of eating can help you shed a few pounds til you just cant take the diet anymore. But JUDDD is something that can very much be done the rest of your life.....simple because there isnt really much you have to give up! You can do this your JUDDD BUDDD's have faith in you, now you need to find that faith within yourself!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Nicki

Been there, hated that. JUDDD has made a phenomenal difference for me. For many. Please give the dark side an earnest, real effort. The results are amazing and amazingly real.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Nicki, I hope you give this a good try. I've been amazed at the difference it's made for me in just under ten weeks. I'm finding bones under my skin that I don't remember having! I've lost almost 20 pounds in that ten weeks.

And I was watching calories and exercising my butt off and it took four months to lose seven pounds in the period preceding JUDDD. So I went from two pounds a month to two pounds a week.

I'm a believer! Give JUDDD a try. Weight Watchers will always be there if you want to go back. But I predict that you won't ever want to.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Nothing like the shock of not weighing for a long period of time and discovering how much you are up...but don't get disheartened. Just stick with your normal days and fast days. You will feel so much better in a really short period of time, we all promise that has been our experience!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

You are all so supportive and encouraging and awesome! THANK YOU for listening to me vent and for the advice and kindness.

I decided to give it a go although I doubt I can sweat it out in my Bikram class today- maybe I will save it for tomorrow when I am actually eating normally and just go for a long walk in the park today.

Do you all find it difficult to do the hardcore workouts on DD or does that get easier as well?

hugs and big big thanks. I am so grateful to have found this community of rock stars :-)
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
JUDDD is so healing. We've seen it over and over again. I've experienced it. I was stalled on 1100 cals/day on paleo woe. I lost very slowly at first on JUDDD, and got frustrated, but stuck with it.

I am now losing on 1600 cal UD/500 cal DD's, and for a time I was in maintenance with 1700 cal UD/850 cal DD. I will be going back to maintenance soon, and plan to push those UD cals even more to keep my metabolism burning hotter.

I've seen improvements (not complete healing ) in my blood sugar issues as well.

So, accept where you are (yes, it stinks, but it is what it is), and give JUDDD a month. Take some measurements, respect your calorie numbers, and come here for support and encouragement. I bet you will have a whole new outlook a month from now.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post
You are all so supportive and encouraging and awesome! THANK YOU for listening to me vent and for the advice and kindness.

I decided to give it a go although I doubt I can sweat it out in my Bikram class today- maybe I will save it for tomorrow when I am actually eating normally and just go for a long walk in the park today.

Do you all find it difficult to do the hardcore workouts on DD or does that get easier as well?

hugs and big big thanks. I am so grateful to have found this community of rock stars :-)
Honestly I was working with a personal trainer when I started JUDDing and I felt even more energetic and did not see a difference between DDs and UDs. I got out of the workout habit in February when my second brother died and I had to travel a lot. I maintained my weight during Feb and then started back to UD/DD rotations and lost 6 pounds in March without exercising.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get back to the gym, but have not done it yet.

From the time I started losing weight in August, I've gone from a size 18 to a size 10 in pants size which is amazing. I have a very muscular frame and can feel my muscles under my skin. So, I believe what Dr. J says about losing fat and preserving muscle doing this WOE is true.

I know for all kinds of health reasons I need to get back to the gym and I will soon. Just wanted to chime in that I did just fine working out on DDs.

You might want to bring something along, like a Muscle Milk light (15 grams of protein, 100 calories) when you workout or drink it right before if it helps.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Honestly I was working with a personal trainer when I started JUDDing and I felt even more energetic and did not see a difference between DDs and UDs. I got out of the workout habit in February when my second brother died and I had to travel a lot. I maintained my weight during Feb and then started back to UD/DD rotations and lost 6 pounds in March without exercising.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get back to the gym, but have not done it yet.

From the time I started losing weight in August, I've gone from a size 18 to a size 10 in pants size which is amazing. I have a very muscular frame and can feel my muscles under my skin. So, I believe what Dr. J says about losing fat and preserving muscle doing this WOE is true.

I know for all kinds of health reasons I need to get back to the gym and I will soon. Just wanted to chime in that I did just fine working out on DDs.

You might want to bring something along, like a Muscle Milk light (15 grams of protein, 100 calories) when you workout or drink it right before if it helps.
I'm so sorry for your loss. How amazing that you were able to continue your weight loss journey.

I was thinking of adding a vegan protein drink before workouts but they are so hard to find! Everything has whey or milk solids it seems- today I just can't be in the hot room though so I will continue Bikram tomorrow and take a very sweet dog for a walk instead. I rescued an adorable but very energetic and strong pit bull terrier and I KNOW he will give me a workout today- he walked ME for about 7 miles yesterday!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. How amazing that you were able to continue your weight loss journey.

I was thinking of adding a vegan protein drink before workouts but they are so hard to find! Everything has whey or milk solids it seems- today I just can't be in the hot room though so I will continue Bikram tomorrow and take a very sweet dog for a walk instead. I rescued an adorable but very energetic and strong pit bull terrier and I KNOW he will give me a workout today- he walked ME for about 7 miles yesterday!
Thank you so much for the hugs and comfort. I seriously think the magic gene had kicked in real good by February and through all the stress, grief and loss it helped to keep the pounds off. Then when I could get back into rotation, I started losing again.

Your doggie sounds wonderful!!! I had an awesome Rodesian Ridgeback for 16 years and the neighbors always joked that he was taking me for walks. He was soooooooo energetic! I sure miss him, but he lived a long, healthy, happy life. Enjoy your boy and let him give you a fun run for your money!!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 04-09-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Nicki I'm sorry about the unpleasant shock you got from stepping on the scale. But that's all the more reason to go with JUDDD. It's a form of CR/IF that will get you where you want to go. It will take you further than that even, because not only will you lose weight but you'll become healthier (and not just from losing weight, as there are other separate health benefits to CR/IF).

As far as hardcore exercise on DD, I don't do much exercise, but I know when I first started JUDDD it took me some time to adjust to DDs period. I didn't have much energy and didn't enjoy or feel great on those early DDs. (I was eating the wrong kinds of foods for me, was one reason.) So I would have waited til I adjusted to start doing much exercise. But that's just my situation alone - many have no problem with workouts, even heavy workouts, on their DDs when starting. I'd just recommend you allow for some extra calories if you need them before and after your workout. Keep a protein shake or bar handy before and after so you don't make yourself sick.

Glad you're here with us in JUDDD land!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-09-2012 at 01:55 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
vegan hugs to you Nicki

Do give JUDDD a try, those "extra" pounds you weren't expecting should leave as quickly as they came ! this WOE is so simple, so satisfying you'll just love it !

let JUDDD magic work for you !
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Hey again- rather than start a new thread I thought I would bump this one

I had my first UD yesterday and stayed at 2000 calories as per the calculator.

I woke up today STARVING. As in, gnawing hunger.

I'm hoping this doesn't become a pattern. The only reason I think it may be this bad is because I did take a Bikram class yesterday but didn't up the calories. According to livestrong and my teacher you burn about 1000 calories per 90 minute session, but I was afraid to mess with my numbers so early on.

Today, (torturous DD) I am also taking Bikram but really don't want to mess with my DD calories as the book strongly advises to keep them as low as possible.

ON UD workout days though should I add some calories? And how much do you think?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Just wanted to add a few to you. I know it can be frustrating. I've tried it all too...I have a screwed up metabolism and I've also gained/lost same 30-40 lbs many, many times.

Give JUDDD at least a month - even two! REALLY COMMIT to trying this. I'm serious. I see too many people give up after a few days or a week and it is so sad. This is such a great WOL. So many people here have stories about how they would have given up...but didn't for whatever reason and they are now successes!

JUDDD works if you put the work in. Read the non-scale victory threads. Read the weigh in threads. Please don't be afraid to put the work in. Yes, the DDs are hard, but the UDs are wonderful, so it balances. It gets easier and easier as the weeks go on. Soon, you find yourself happy that tomorrow is a DD and be confused... This is the best WOE/WOL that I have found...and again, I have really tried them all. I feel normal on this.

I would only add calories for workouts if you workout a lot for a long period of time. I work out 5-7 days/week for 1-2 hours and I still only add the amount of calories for 1-3 times/wk and that was after I did JUDDD for a few weeks and was really hungry. Get to know your body and how it works before you change anything.

You can do this!