Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SportFat
UK JUDDDers and food choices

I'm new and finding this forum fascinating but I have a little problem. I can make neither head nor tail of the American food/supplement suggestions. They seem to have the weirdest, and some of the nicest, foods we just can't get over here.

Is there a UK thread that I have missed? Or could we start one?

If it gets well used could we ask for it to be stickied?

Currently I am relying on Slimfast shakes on my DDs. I have a couple of meals but wondered what others eat?

I have found the Ryvita's with raisins that are great for that 4pm hungry moment but wondered what else I might be missing?
SportFat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Sportfat, there is a thread on the Main board, where a number of us JUDDDers post but not everyone is doing it.

I think there are quite a number of UK JUDDDers here now and I wonder if there enough of us could keep a JUDDD/UK thread going. I will start one.

Personally I use 'real' food and have never bothered with gluc powder etc.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Good idea.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SportFat
I've read the stickied food thread - the amount of 'pretend' food is alarming as I tend to stick to real, wholefoods anyway. I eat well, just far too much!

I also bake and make lots of puds at weekends so the 'lite' pots of stuff aren't going to be added to my diet either.

I don't want to change my realf food habits, I'm not scared of food I just need to control it. Which is why my favourite DD meal is one I would eat occasionally anyway:

Prawns and spinach:
Prawns
Cumin seeds
Garlic
Tomatoes, tinned or fresh
Spinach leaf, fresh though the frozen does work, just looks different!

Fry garlic and cumin seeds, dry fry or with a little oil, when the garlic is right to your taste add the prawns until cooked. Remove and set aside.

Put toms in pan and warm through, add spinach, when wilted put prawns and cumin seeds back in.

DD make it quite dry, UD make it wetter and add crusty bread to mop up the juices.

It is very filling and vey tasty. About 150kcals without oil or bread and about 300kcals with both.
SportFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #5

UK/Europe/Australian JUDDD posters

Here we go!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFat View Post
I'm new and finding this forum fascinating but I have a little problem. I can make neither head nor tail of the American food/supplement suggestions. They seem to have the weirdest, and some of the nicest, foods we just can't get over here.

Is there a UK thread that I have missed? Or could we start one?

If it gets well used could we ask for it to be stickied?

Currently I am relying on Slimfast shakes on my DDs. I have a couple of meals but wondered what others eat?

I have found the Ryvita's with raisins that are great for that 4pm hungry moment but wondered what else I might be missing?
you dont have to eat any of those fake foods. JUDDD is great for helping you know how to eat from day to day. but as to what to eat JUDDD, at least the book, is worthless. very old conventional wisdom. many people use real foods from the beginning. i do 400 cals on DD of real food. what matters on JUDDD is the cal swing between UD and DD. that is it. no matter what country you are in.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

Mostly I eat real food - mostly homemade vegetable soups, salads, seafood, and lentils on DD's.

However I have found that glucomannan powder is a very useful ingredient because you can make an almost-zero-calorie pudding from it. I bought mine from amazon. I also find the shirataki noodles (miracle noodles), which are also zero calorie, to be filling, and I also bought those from amazon. they also sells sugar free syrups if you want to buy them. I also recently ordered a couple DaVinci syrups from a uk site to see how they are, although I think they are also sold on amazon.

Sainsbury's now sells stevia/truvia sweetner and the local health food store sells granular stevia, if you want to use it as a zero calorie sweetner. The sugar-free jellys by Hartley's are also good for DD's.

Holland & Barrett also has some good low calorie items. I found a 'Garden Souffle' butternut squash souffle that was fairly low calorie, and an 88-calorie single-serving bag of roasted spiced chickpeas. So if you are able to go to a Holland & Barrett you might find some good foods.

I also found 'egg whites in a carton' at a health food store and this is easier than cracking and separating eggs on DD's if you want to use egg whites (for instance, I had scrambled egg whites and roasted radishes for lunch one DD, which came out to about 100 calories (using a lot of egg whites)).

I also use the 'coconut milk' that is sold at some Sainsburys and health food stores and comes in the boxed nut milk area and is 27 calories/100 mL.

But all of that is optional of course.

Good luck on JUDDD!

PS Between the US and UK I would say that the food quality is definitely higher in the UK... however the US does have more low-carb/sugar-free foods available

Last edited by Avicenna; 04-10-2012 at 05:25 AM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I don't use any of those wonderful sounding things that people in the US use...

The only thing I use that is not 'real' food is the whey protein powder I add to my fat free quark on DD when I need it.

For the rest, on DD I eat a large amount of vegetables and fish, as I find you get more volume for less calories. Seems to do the trick.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi,

I forgot to mention that Sainsbury's has a nice 'stir fry vegetable soup' available in the vegetable department in some of the stores (in the pre-cut vegetable section; I find it in a larger store near me). It is a good selection of pre-cut and washed stir fry vegetables + chopped garlic and ginger + some spices (marketed as a soup mix, as opposed to the other stir fry mixes - which are fine too but this one has a really good vegetable mix). It comes in a plastic bowl sort of thing and is about 60 calories total (I think), and you can just dump it in a large pot of water and boil it for a few minutes (I'd add some soy sauce and a vegetable broth cube too) and have a very large, very good pot of soup with a minimum of work. You can also add some protein, such as prawns.

Anyway, if you have a large Sainsbury's nearby, this is a suggestion.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Great suggestions here, thanks Avicenna.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cienna
Stats: 163/155/145 5'8
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/05 (Low Carb) 3/12/12 (JUDDD)
Thanks for the suggestions Avicenna! I found that soup package at Sainsbury's today and I'm excited to try it out on my DD tomorrow. I'm really really tempted to get the gluc powder.

Also, editing to add that I've found Shirataki noodles for only about £1 a bag at the Japan Centre at Piccadilly Circus.

Last edited by Cienna; 04-11-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Cienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #12

I love Shirataki Noodles, I can get them near me in Hampstead but that is a good price. Must pop in next time we are in town.

One of my favourite DD foods is to slow cook a huge, halved beef tomato with a couple of anchovy fillets on the top of each half. They have such a great deep flavour after a couple of hours in the oven and I find them remarkably filling.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome... thanks for the info on the Japan Centre.

I found another soup at Sainsbury's (in the soup pot area) that was a Butternut Squash soup that is only 103 calories per half pot, I think the brand was 'Glorious Skinny Soup' - I had half a pot today with some shirataki noodles mixed in and it is very filling.

Last edited by Avicenna; 04-18-2012 at 06:06 AM..
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cienna
Stats: 163/155/145 5'8
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/05 (Low Carb) 3/12/12 (JUDDD)
Ooh, excellent I'll have to try that soup! I do find soups with shirataki noodles to be quite filling. Let me know if you find any other good Sainsbury's options!
Cienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #15

Delicious, I love Squash.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
the Glorious Skinny range also have a great Aztec Soup - if I remember correctly!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote