Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 816
Gallery: heyjupiter
The "eat small meals throughout the day" theory

Ok, so the further along in my JUDDD journey I get, the more interested in it's principles I become.

I did a bit of searching to find more info on both sides of this idea that eating throughout the day is supposed to be superior. I kept on finding ridiculous sites that said such things as "eating throughout the day is superior as it eliminates cravings". Ya think?!? If you're always eating, the body has no time to even form an inkling of a craving! (Well, except for TOM cravings which are ruthless no matter what you do! ) So I guess the reasoning is that instead of working through your craving issues, you just circumvent them by "feeding" them all the time? Lol, ok, enough of this lovely example, I think you get my point!

So I thought "gee, I'm sure my JUDDD Buddds have read up on this before and have links to FACTUAL sites!" lol. Of course, being on JUDDD has me thinking, rather believing that fasting is a better way to go, at least for me (and I'm sure many of you, too), but I like to know both sides of a story. Well, if for anything so I can defend JUDDD and IF. (I've fallen into a pattern of eating my calories on a UD within 4-6 hours, and on a DD all at once except for perhaps a cup of broth earlier in the day.)

So I welcome any sort of discussion on this topic, as well as any links you may want to share for my "education".

Thanks!!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
gotsomeold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Asheville, NC / Marietta, Ga
Posts: 3,763
Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Doesn't JUDDD lead to fascinating research?

It has been a long time since I looked into the 'eat how often?' question. I guess I started out assuming eating patterns should be metabolically based. As in, what does each individual really need.

Like you, I tend to eat one meal a day these days and usually find hunger to be no more than an inconvenience (actually, I find hunger uplifting because I believe good things are happening when I am hungry). Even at my carb-addicted heaviest I could go all day without eating or feeling bad if I was busy doing something.

I tried eating five or six small meals each day. All that did was make me more hungry.

But I have a niece and a best friend who literally have to eat something every two hours or they pass out. Doesn't matter how much or what they ate at the last meal, and it may take only a few bites to stabilize them. Miss those few bites and *zap* they are on the ground unconscious. Their doctors don't seem to think anything is wrong . Interestingly, both of them are extremely underweight.

I really think frequency of eating is not one-size-fits-all.
__________________
- Nancy
GOAL 10/3/12
Still at goal 2/6/13
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
Gallery: SportFat
I'd agree with that, Nancy.

My personal pattern is an enforced breakfast, as I usually lose wieght just by including that one (much hated) meal. I have an apple and some nuts/seeds on hand for lunch. Then I might sip a replacement shake during the day, alongside copious cups of rooibus tea.

In the evening I seem to be fine - which shocked me no end as I thought I would be ravenous. Then I seem to be hungry as I go to bed, so I have a little snack supper. That is probably psychological though


That seems to be fine for me but I know another JUDDDer who sips and snacks all day as she is a natural grazer.
SportFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Kissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 18,860
Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I seldom eat breakfast, but that has been a pattern all my life.

I am a bit random. I prefer to eat my main meal in the evening with my DH, even if we aren't eating the same food. However, on some DDs I snack through the day.

I do find that if I am snacking the calories build up fast. When I wait until the evening I enjoy a really decent sized, nourishing meal.

Each to their own.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,409
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
For a lot of people, eating 5-6 smaller meals does help keep blood sugar stable and keeps cravings/hunger down.
It's another YMMV thing
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
changemylife!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 362
Gallery: changemylife!
Stats: Jan 2006: (190) 180/125
Start Date: 1-1-2006
I just tried the small mini-meals - I actually met with a nutritionist in February. Yikes, i gained weight faster than you can blink an eye! I had been struggling to maintain 125 & found myself continuing to reduce calories/carbs and feeling like I was barely holding on.
So I hired this nutrionist & was eating by the clock instead of my hunger. She also had me adding fruit & whole grains. It really messed me up! I gained 5 pounds instantly and although I stopped after a month & went back to my old WOE, it just feels likes it's been getting more out of control (gained another pound or 2 since stopping the mini-meals).
The one thing I do enforce is a protein shake after my morning workout. I drink it on my way to work. It's only 110 calories, but it still feels nourishing.
The less often I eat, the less hungry I feel!
__________________
Jan 2006: 190/125/115 (LC)
April 2012: 131/131/115 (JUDDD)
5'4"; 34-27-34
hypothyroid
gym-rat
changemylife! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!
 
adillenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,666
Gallery: adillenal
I am reading Mastering Leptin by Richards and Richards. They recommend allowing 5-6 hours between meals to allow the body to do what it is designed to do. He states that eating small meals all day long never allows the liver to do what it is supposed to do. He also recommends 11-12 hours between dinner and breakfast.
I personally rarely eat snacks now and do not eat after 7 unless something really unusual happens.
I do not have blood sugar issues so I can easily go the 5-6 hours between meals. I start early and eat between 5:30 and 6am, lunch at 12 and dinner usually by 6. Nothing afterwards. I remembered way back when and growing up, we ate three meals a day and never grazed in between.
__________________
adi 5'7" 65 years old
181/155/145 LC MY WAY 3/15/03
155/144/140 LFL 5/05/04
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
changemylife!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 362
Gallery: changemylife!
Stats: Jan 2006: (190) 180/125
Start Date: 1-1-2006
adillenal - that makes so much sense!
I remember eating 3 square meals a day & feeling hungry when it was time to eat & not hungry in between. It was just "normal," go figure! I guess my eating-for-pleasure started in college (20 years ago!). Never thought about it 'til I read your post! Now I can't remember the last time I felt true hunger pains - but today I might on my first DD!!
changemylife! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
Gallery: LeeMT
Start Date: April 4, 2012
There really is no rhyme or reason about this. I have read scientific studies suggesting eating 5-6 mini meals raises insulin levels, other studies disputed that. Then I read a study that had subjects consume all their calories in one large meal. The same thing happened. Conflicting results.
On this topic, I am convinced what matters is what works for you. I myself have never believed in the myth that breakfast-skipping causes you to overeat later in the day. For me, early eating triggers hunger, not suppresses it. That's just my personal experience. For my DD I have been doing 2 or 3 meals, starting in the afternoon. It's working for me so far.
LeeMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,527
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
one of the sites I really like is the NOS site (no sweets, seconds or snacks except on days that start with S) I rapidly found out that I have to ignore the "except for days that start with S" part, as it encouraged binging for me. Nonetheless, eliminating snacks and seconds has really really helped me. The site encourages 3 meals a day with nothing in between and makes the point that most of us grew up eating that way--and that it was the onset of snacking that coincided with the onset of obesity.

I personally find that the way I do "3 meals" is to delay my first meal til lunchtime, have a snack at 3pm and dinner at 6 with nothing after dinner.

Most of us might have had an afterschool snack as kids, but I remember my mother declining more after that as I might "spoil my dinner" Todays kids snack ALL day--they develop habits of eating frequently, thus they are hungry and need to eat frequently. I believe it is a good part of what is behind the obesity epidemic (in addition to the nasty additives and addictive flavours)
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
thomasina838's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 145
Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter View Post
Ok, so the further along in my JUDDD journey I get, the more interested in it's principles I become.

I did a bit of searching to find more info on both sides of this idea that eating throughout the day is supposed to be superior. I kept on finding ridiculous sites that said such things as "eating throughout the day is superior as it eliminates cravings". Ya think?!? If you're always eating, the body has no time to even form an inkling of a craving! (Well, except for TOM cravings which are ruthless no matter what you do! ) So I guess the reasoning is that instead of working through your craving issues, you just circumvent them by "feeding" them all the time? Lol, ok, enough of this lovely example, I think you get my point!

So I thought "gee, I'm sure my JUDDD Buddds have read up on this before and have links to FACTUAL sites!" lol. Of course, being on JUDDD has me thinking, rather believing that fasting is a better way to go, at least for me (and I'm sure many of you, too), but I like to know both sides of a story. Well, if for anything so I can defend JUDDD and IF. (I've fallen into a pattern of eating my calories on a UD within 4-6 hours, and on a DD all at once except for perhaps a cup of broth earlier in the day.)

So I welcome any sort of discussion on this topic, as well as any links you may want to share for my "education".

Thanks!!
the problem with eating often is that as soon as you eat your body stops burning fat. i learned that from Dr. Jack Kruse and the rest of the paleo community. what does kill cravings is eating a huge protein load first thing in the morning. 8 - 10 oz. wish had known that years ago. this from the Kruse leptin reset prescription: "How you eat your fuel is MORE IMPORTANT than any other factor, including the food itself. Never snack at all. This is meant initially and forever. Snacking completely stresses the livers metabolism and is just not recommended. Your liver needs to re-learn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you are asleep and awake. Snacking just destroys the timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin."
MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION - Jack Kruse
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Speck333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,186
Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
There are several articles related to the benefits of fasting over at Mark's Daily Apple. Just go over to his website and search "fasting" and you will find three posts from Feb. and March of this year. Good stuff.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heartland- smack dab in the middle
Posts: 4,997
Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I enjoy eating the Kruse style for Leptin Reset, but have found that I love my morning workout and that is the one thing that I can't and don't want to lose. So, in addition to keep at this method, I will work out after dinner everyday in some fastion, but I cant ditch the morning run & rebound.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
ellgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 890
Gallery: ellgee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
one of the sites I really like is the NOS site (no sweets, seconds or snacks except on days that start with S) I rapidly found out that I have to ignore the "except for days that start with S" part, as it encouraged binging for me. Nonetheless, eliminating snacks and seconds has really really helped me. The site encourages 3 meals a day with nothing in between and makes the point that most of us grew up eating that way--and that it was the onset of snacking that coincided with the onset of obesity.

I personally find that the way I do "3 meals" is to delay my first meal til lunchtime, have a snack at 3pm and dinner at 6 with nothing after dinner.

Most of us might have had an afterschool snack as kids, but I remember my mother declining more after that as I might "spoil my dinner" Todays kids snack ALL day--they develop habits of eating frequently, thus they are hungry and need to eat frequently. I believe it is a good part of what is behind the obesity epidemic (in addition to the nasty additives and addictive flavours)
I am another huge fan of No S. But like you I had trouble on the weekends because they became free for alls! This is how I ate as a child, too. I really need to work on getting back to this because I think we are supposed to get hungry! I have a friend at work who snacks throughout the day and if she gets hungry she says, "My stomach is eating itself!"
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
OhioGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW OH
Posts: 451
Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter View Post
(I've fallen into a pattern of eating my calories on a UD within 4-6 hours, and on a DD all at once except for perhaps a cup of broth earlier in the day.)

Thanks!!

i do the exact same thing. on DDs i work out around 6pm and at 7pm im eating my 380 calories. then the next day comes and im still not hungry when i wake up, i try to hold off as long as possible cuz i know once i start... watch out.
I eat my lunch around 3pm and its time for dinner at 7! so im eating all my food in that 3 or 4 hours. but im good after that.

i think i really like the rules about this. i know exactly how i can and cant eat.

but i read somewhere that 5 meals a day is horrible for the liver because its never resting and it needs to rest.
obviously evolution hasnt caught up with todays woe and we need to look back thousands of years
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 816
Gallery: heyjupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Doesn't JUDDD lead to fascinating research?

It has been a long time since I looked into the 'eat how often?' question. I guess I started out assuming eating patterns should be metabolically based. As in, what does each individual really need.

Like you, I tend to eat one meal a day these days and usually find hunger to be no more than an inconvenience (actually, I find hunger uplifting because I believe good things are happening when I am hungry). Even at my carb-addicted heaviest I could go all day without eating or feeling bad if I was busy doing something.

I tried eating five or six small meals each day. All that did was make me more hungry.

I really think frequency of eating is not one-size-fits-all.
Yes, this WOE is quite fascinating! I think I'm interested in the science behind JUDDD more than any other WOE I've tried. Interestingly, my dad said the same thing as you, that eating throughout the day just made him more hungry. I'm the same way, so I'm wondering if there's a genetic component? And, my dad doesn't know it, but he's doing IF as well, only his is med induced as his meds make him not hungry at all. He eats all his food in the evening, usually within a window of 4 hours, and he's lost weight and is much healthier because of it. I think you're right, that eating isn't one size fits all. I guess my struggle isn't so much with the 6 meals concept, rather with the belief that this way is right for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changemylife! View Post
I just tried the small mini-meals - I actually met with a nutritionist in February. Yikes, i gained weight faster than you can blink an eye! I had been struggling to maintain 125 & found myself continuing to reduce calories/carbs and feeling like I was barely holding on.
So I hired this nutrionist & was eating by the clock instead of my hunger. She also had me adding fruit & whole grains. It really messed me up! I gained 5 pounds instantly and although I stopped after a month & went back to my old WOE, it just feels likes it's been getting more out of control (gained another pound or 2 since stopping the mini-meals).
Yikes! I've always been wary of nutritionists for the simple fact that they all (well, most), seem to push one "ideal" diet when the truth is that as we are all different, we thrive on different plans. But, many only know what they were taught in school, and often this is a quite narrow scope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I am reading Mastering Leptin by Richards and Richards. They recommend allowing 5-6 hours between meals to allow the body to do what it is designed to do. He states that eating small meals all day long never allows the liver to do what it is supposed to do. He also recommends 11-12 hours between dinner and breakfast.
I think I've seen your other posts on leptin as well. This is quite interesting to me and I plan to read up on it more. I'm trying to focus on eating more protein, ESP on my DD, but once I get that issue settled, I may try to move my eating to earlier in the day as I notice it's helped others. But, one change at a time, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
There really is no rhyme or reason about this. I have read scientific studies suggesting eating 5-6 mini meals raises insulin levels, other studies disputed that. Then I read a study that had subjects consume all their calories in one large meal. The same thing happened. Conflicting results.
Exactly! The studies are so conflicting. Again, I wish there wasn't a "one size fits all" sort of attitude when it comes to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
one of the sites I really like is the NOS site (no sweets, seconds or snacks except on days that start with S) I rapidly found out that I have to ignore the "except for days that start with S" part, as it encouraged binging for me. Nonetheless, eliminating snacks and seconds has really really helped me. The site encourages 3 meals a day with nothing in between and makes the point that most of us grew up eating that way--and that it was the onset of snacking that coincided with the onset of obesity.
I read the book that advocates this! It was good advice, I don't know why I stopped following it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasina838 View Post
Thank you for the info and the link!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
There are several articles related to the benefits of fasting over at Mark's Daily Apple. Just go over to his website and search "fasting" and you will find three posts from Feb. and March of this year. Good stuff.
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.