Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Anybody ever got close to goal and thought about reevaluating it?

Basically, I have been stuck at 114lbs for nearly 3 months!!

I am starting to think that maybe my body doesn't actually want me to lose any more weight.

I set my goal weight at 108lbs, which would put me at the very lowest healthy weight for my height (5'4). The reason for this is because I remember being at this weight is when I felt happiest about my body... But then again, I was 16.

I know I am at a healthy weight, but I am vain, and have to admit I like looking thin rather than just normal. I am not deluded, I know I am already slim, but I also know there are a few wobbly bits that only go away with those last few pounds.

Have any maintainers ever got to a point above their goal weight and thought hey, I might just hang out here?
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Waving my hands here. I've been stuck at 108 for about a couple months now, and I admit it's partly because I've been trying to push and experiment with the gap between the calorie limits and also the upper limits of both UD and DD, etc even more so as I get close to my goal weight. But there's a bit more to it too though.

Now I just want to ask, are you sure that those "wobbly bits" as you call them, are not changing? One thing I've noticed, and I'm not sure if you measure, is that although I moved only one pound down from 109 around 3 months ago, my waist size has decreased noticeably. I'm an apple-shape who's always had the huge stomach protruding and narrow hips and leg thing no matter how much weight I lose, and for the first time in who knows how long, I can actually see a defined waistline, and it looks like I have hips! This is huge for me. I know I'm not the only one because I've noticed people mentioning how their body composition has been changing for the better even without seeing the weight loss in numbers. In the past 1.5 months, my waist has continued to whittle down bit by bit even though my lowest weight is still 108 and refuses to get down any further.

I've half decided that if my waistline keeps decreasing and things keep rearranging in the right places in there, I'll be fine calling 108 my goal. Right now the only reason I'm still trying to reach 105 is just because I want that wiggle room of weight bouncing. I'm 5'1.5" btw. Now if that rearranging would just rearrange some fat over to my chest area, I'd be a happy camper!

Another question is, are you happy with the way you're eating and your calorie limits right now? I have a feeling that it is possible for me to reach my goal if I cut down both my DD and also UD limits significantly and hold to that strictly for some time, but I don't know if I want to do that, and I'm also worried that if I do that and I do reach goal, once I start increasing my calorie limits, would my weight bounce back up again? So that's why I'm sort of just "practicing maintenance" for now.

Last edited by vilanteira; 04-04-2012 at 11:11 AM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
I'm not close yet, but I set my goal at 135 which is 20 pounds more than I was pre kids, my husband asked me why I didn't set my goal at 115, but I seriously think my body would rebel. I'd rather be at 135-140 and be comfortable than to struggle and fight with my body to get down to something that I would have to fight everyday for. Just my thoughts...I may reevaluate when I get close to goal though that's for sure.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AMB7
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2012
Maybe try limiting cardio to 30 min x 3 days & increasing weight/risistance training? The extra muscle might give you the look you want without making you cut more carbs.
It sounds like you are at a good place for your hight to me though.

Last edited by AMB7; 04-04-2012 at 11:28 AM..
AMB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
108 sounds really low. I'm 5'4" and the range for my small frame is 114 - 127. I'm at 123/124 and though I could see losing a bit more I don't think I'll ever get below 120.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
That sounds really low to me too, also 5'4". I'm currently at 127, and want to get to 125, which is where I was when I got married at 25. Sure, I was 105 in high school, but that would not be a healthy weight for me now, I don't think. I've had 4 kids, and I'm 46 years old. Not a teenager.

But I did do what you asked about. My original goal was 130. I got there, and really thought I wanted to go to 127 (to give that bounce range), and it just wasn't happening. I was getting a bit obsessive about food/calories and such. And realized I needed to just let it go for awhile. I rarely bounced anyway (keep to paleo, so I don't have the carb water flux). It was a good decision. After about 6 weeks of stable maintenance, even on increased dd/ud cals (800/1600), I was ready to give it a go again (totally vain reason, I wanted to fit in a dress I'd been given. lol)

And this time, it was easy again. Despite my "maintenance" I was still seeing inches drop, btw. Took the dd back to 500, kept the UD at 1600, and I've lost a couple more pounds in the past 2 weeks, and feel I'll be at 125 in no time.

So, maybe "maintaining" and focusing on toning will help with those bits every bit as much as losing a few more pounds, while allowing you to enjoy a bit more it the way of calories and food freedom.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Waving my hands here. I've been stuck at 108 for about a couple months now, and I admit it's partly because I've been trying to push and experiment with the gap between the calorie limits and also the upper limits of both UD and DD, etc even more so as I get close to my goal weight. But there's a bit more to it too though.

Now I just want to ask, are you sure that those "wobbly bits" as you call them, are not changing? One thing I've noticed, and I'm not sure if you measure, is that although I moved only one pound down from 109 around 3 months ago, my waist size has decreased noticeably. I'm an apple-shape who's always had the huge stomach protruding and narrow hips and leg thing no matter how much weight I lose, and for the first time in who knows how long, I can actually see a defined waistline, and it looks like I have hips! This is huge for me. I know I'm not the only one because I've noticed people mentioning how their body composition has been changing for the better even without seeing the weight loss in numbers. In the past 1.5 months, my waist has continued to whittle down bit by bit even though my lowest weight is still 108 and refuses to get down any further.

I've half decided that if my waistline keeps decreasing and things keep rearranging in the right places in there, I'll be fine calling 108 my goal. Right now the only reason I'm still trying to reach 105 is just because I want that wiggle room of weight bouncing. I'm 5'1.5" btw. Now if that rearranging would just rearrange some fat over to my chest area, I'd be a happy camper!

Another question is, are you happy with the way you're eating and your calorie limits right now? I have a feeling that it is possible for me to reach my goal if I cut down both my DD and also UD limits significantly and hold to that strictly for some time, but I don't know if I want to do that, and I'm also worried that if I do that and I do reach goal, once I start increasing my calorie limits, would my weight bounce back up again? So that's why I'm sort of just "practicing maintenance" for now.
Thanks for taking the time to write such a helpful post. Great to hear from someone who is at my goal weight! It CAN be done

In terms of inches I did measure the other day and my waist was 26 inches which I was very happy about, but I have never measured before so have no grounds for comparison, lol.

In terms of being happy with my calorie limits, I can do the DDs with no problem and usually eat under. UDs are more of a problem for me, seems the more I eat the hungrier I get! I don't want to cut my UD cals at the moment, but probably that's what I would have to do to lose. I'm kind of hanging, hoping that the appetite suppression will kick in and then it will be easier for me to lower my cals. I've only been doing juddd for 3 weeks, was Lc before that.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB7 View Post
Maybe try limiting cardio to 30 min x 3 days & increasing weight/risistance training? The extra muscle might give you the look you want without making you cut more carbs.
It sounds like you are at a good place for your hight to me though.
At the moment I am doing body pump (high reps low weights) 3x a week, cardio 2x a week and body balance (yoga/Pilates) 2x per week. Sound like a good plan?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Just to mention I know 108 is a low weight but I am a vain 20 year old girl, lol.

Last edited by Hatewashingup; 04-04-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I think you are fine where you are, but if you want to get down lower, you might have to make some changes. Keep in mind that you might be able to get lower, but it might become very difficult to keep yourself at that number once you get there. Any reason 108? Were you that weight at one time? I know that I could never be what I weighed in HS because I have grown since then. Not up (I was always tall), but out. My bones are wider (like shoulders and hips) than they were back then. I've gotten down to the same size I was in HS, but at about 20 lbs more than HS, and my hip bones wouldn't let me go lower if I tried. Just a thought.

If you are determined, then tell us a little bit more about your calorie limits, diet, etc. I work out in a similar manner (body pump 2-3x/week, pilates/ballet/barre 3-4x/week, and cardio at least once). I use higher calorie limits than most and still lose because of all the working out, but do notice when I need to eat less. So, give us your info and we will run your numbers and help you switch up your routine.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
Rethinking Thin is a GREAT book talking about this same thing. It really is a great read.

Amazon.com: Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight...Amazon.com: Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight...
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I think you are fine where you are, but if you want to get down lower, you might have to make some changes. Keep in mind that you might be able to get lower, but it might become very difficult to keep yourself at that number once you get there. Any reason 108? Were you that weight at one time? I know that I could never be what I weighed in HS because I have grown since then. Not up (I was always tall), but out. My bones are wider (like shoulders and hips) than they were back then. I've gotten down to the same size I was in HS, but at about 20 lbs more than HS, and my hip bones wouldn't let me go lower if I tried. Just a thought.

If you are determined, then tell us a little bit more about your calorie limits, diet, etc. I work out in a similar manner (body pump 2-3x/week, pilates/ballet/barre 3-4x/week, and cardio at least once). I use higher calorie limits than most and still lose because of all the working out, but do notice when I need to eat less. So, give us your info and we will run your numbers and help you switch up your routine.
I chose 108 as my goal as its the lowest healthy weight for my height, so it will give me that bit of wiggle room, and also I remember that weight as when I felt most confident with my body, and could look in the mirror without pointing out any fat bits!

I eat 2000 on up days, and up to 500 on DDs but usually less. As well as working out every day I also work full time in a restaurant where I am on my feet all day. I know I could probably stand to cut down my UD cals a bit, but i am hoping for the appetite suppression many talk about to kick in before I do that! But maybe it never will...
Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
Thanks! Looks interesting. May have to order myself a copy.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey Hate,

Let me make sure I understand. You lost on LC then stalled. You started an exercise regimen in January. Three weeks ago you came over to the dark side and have been eating max calories of 500/2000. Eating low cal on DD is not a problem but the famed appetite suppression has not kicked in so UDs you dance on the edge of over-doing. The scales have not moved.

Different bodies produce sirtuin enzymes at different rates. One of the anomalies I have noticed from these posts is significant levels of exercise seem to suppress the caloric stress response (which is to me, but someone wiser may be able to explain it).

The odds, based on what has happened to several past heavy exercisers, is you are still a few weeks away from sirtuin saturation. I encourage you to just keep doing what you are doing and be patient two or three more weeks. (Isn't 'be patient' frustrating advice when you are so close to putting a pin in it?) I suspect you are going to 'feel' a change in your bod soon.

In the meantime for gosh's sake, measure weekly. It is probable fat cells are inflating and deflating in different places all over your bod as muscle grows and changes. Are your clothes fitting differently from a month ago?

Ultimately, you might need to shave a bit off you UD. But frankly, given the calories you are burning when exercising, I think it is still early for you and 'be patient' is the way to go.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Hey Hate,

Let me make sure I understand. You lost on LC then stalled. You started an exercise regimen in January. Three weeks ago you came over to the dark side and have been eating max calories of 500/2000. Eating low cal on DD is not a problem but the famed appetite suppression has not kicked in so UDs you dance on the edge of over-doing. The scales have not moved.

Different bodies produce sirtuin enzymes at different rates. One of the anomalies I have noticed from these posts is significant levels of exercise seem to suppress the caloric stress response (which is to me, but someone wiser may be able to explain it).

The odds, based on what has happened to several past heavy exercisers, is you are still a few weeks away from sirtuin saturation. I encourage you to just keep doing what you are doing and be patient two or three more weeks. (Isn't 'be patient' frustrating advice when you are so close to putting a pin in it?) I suspect you are going to 'feel' a change in your bod soon.

In the meantime for gosh's sake, measure weekly. It is probable fat cells are inflating and deflating in different places all over your bod as muscle grows and changes. Are your clothes fitting differently from a month ago?

Ultimately, you might need to shave a bit off you UD. But frankly, given the calories you are burning when exercising, I think it is still early for you and 'be patient' is the way to go.
Thanks for your advice, what you said in your first paragraph is pretty much spot on as to where I'm at.

I will be patient and keep juddding along, as I am enjoying it. If I lose in the next 3 weeks, great, if I maintain, that's ok. Hopefully the appetite suppression will kick in that time and I will find it easier to reduce my UD cals. If not, maybe I will have to exercise a bit of willpower and do it anyway!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The OTHER approach is, post a few pics. At 20 you are not the person you were at 16. And there is a chance, with additional bone growth since you were 16, you really may be at or below a beautiful grown-up skinny weight at 114.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Screamer
Stats: :)
WOE: jab jab jab cross hook
Start Date: 8/7/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatewashingup View Post
Just to mention I know 108 is a low weight but I am a vain 20 year old girl, lol.
Hi Hate! I love the advise from all these great gals.

I would just like to say a word about how you are working out. What you are doing is FANTASTIC...

but seriously consider lifting heavy. google it, research it, read everything you can on it. I started with 'Weightlifting for Dummies.' I suggest it especially since you are already lifting some but I feel you are at a point that your muscles need a bit of challenge. How low is low weight for you and how many is high for your reps. If you consider this, ease into the added weight. Adding slowly from 5 lb to 8 lb to 10 to 12. and decrease the reps. When you feel the challenge you are actually building muscle,(yes the body knows where to build and you will not look like the Hulk). More muscle = more weight loss and a great boost to the body's shape.

ie: my arm routine includes dumbbell overhead lifts. 10 lb weights in each hand, until fatigue which is usually 10 to 15 reps. Then I increase the weight to 12 lb and decrease the reps to 8 or fatigue. Then I will increase to 15 lb for 2 reps and go back up to 12 lb at 6 reps and finally 8 lb at 4-6 reps. I split upper and lower workouts on different days: say Sat upper, Sunday lower, rest 2 days and abs and back and two days rest again.

About being vain. I had a dark brown spot on my face and I wanted it off for my wedding day. I went to a woman dermatologist and she told me I was vain and just live with it. It was on my face for cripes sake not on my butt!

She still refused to lazer it off telling me insurance would not pay for it (of course not it's a vanity thing and I knew that) and she would charge $750 to do it. Insert rollie eyes here - it was the size of a pencil eraser.

BUT... because I was so vain and went to see her she found pre cancer cells on my lip line that had to be removed chemically. So I win.

I also found a great spa in Medlin, MA who takes care of my lazer requests without degrading me to a vain harlot.

So - we all have a little vain within. Some of us more than others. I have first place in the vain parade. If I didn't I wouldn't care and I wouldn't be here.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Hi Hate! I love the advise from all these great gals.

I would just like to say a word about how you are working out. What you are doing is FANTASTIC...

but seriously consider lifting heavy. google it, research it, read everything you can on it. I started with 'Weightlifting for Dummies.' I suggest it especially since you are already lifting some but I feel you are at a point that your muscles need a bit of challenge. How low is low weight for you and how many is high for your reps. If you consider this, ease into the added weight. Adding slowly from 5 lb to 8 lb to 10 to 12. and decrease the reps. When you feel the challenge you are actually building muscle,(yes the body knows where to build and you will not look like the Hulk). More muscle = more weight loss and a great boost to the body's shape.

ie: my arm routine includes dumbbell overhead lifts. 10 lb weights in each hand, until fatigue which is usually 10 to 15 reps. Then I increase the weight to 12 lb and decrease the reps to 8 or fatigue. Then I will increase to 15 lb for 2 reps and go back up to 12 lb at 6 reps and finally 8 lb at 4-6 reps. I split upper and lower workouts on different days: say Sat upper, Sunday lower, rest 2 days and abs and back and two days rest again.

About being vain. I had a dark brown spot on my face and I wanted it off for my wedding day. I went to a woman dermatologist and she told me I was vain and just live with it. It was on my face for cripes sake not on my butt!

She still refused to lazer it off telling me insurance would not pay for it (of course not it's a vanity thing and I knew that) and she would charge $750 to do it. Insert rollie eyes here - it was the size of a pencil eraser.

BUT... because I was so vain and went to see her she found pre cancer cells on my lip line that had to be removed chemically. So I win.

I also found a great spa in Medlin, MA who takes care of my lazer requests without degrading me to a vain harlot.

So - we all have a little vain within. Some of us more than others. I have first place in the vain parade. If I didn't I wouldn't care and I wouldn't be here.
Thanks for your advice about the weights! I think body pump has taught me the techniques, so I will try lifting some heavier weights in my own time at the gym. My brother does a lot of heavy lifting so might be fun to hit up the weights room with him

And congrats on getting rid of that brown spot
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
The OTHER approach is, post a few pics. At 20 you are not the person you were at 16. And there is a chance, with additional bone growth since you were 16, you really may be at or below a beautiful grown-up skinny weight at 114.
Ok pics coming up when I learn to work the timer on my iPad! I'm pretty sure I haven't grown much since 16 though (to my dismay!) - same height, bra size, shoe size, etc!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Ok, turns out I don't think the iPad has a self timer, so no pics I'm afraid! On the plus side, today is an UD and for the first time I am not feeling so ravenous....didn't stop me munching on a hot cross bun though - happy Easter!