Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Skin problems flare up as you lose weight?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue. I've been on JUDDD just over a week now and have lost almost 7 lbs. My skin looks horrible as I'm having a particularly bad acne flare up. I've heard that losing weight can result in detoxification symptoms as we store all sorts of things in our fat. I've had acne problems my whole life, but this flare up is particularly bad. Other than starting this WOE, I haven't changed what I eat (just how much to meet my calorie alotment). Has anyone else experienced something similar?
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
I must say i'm "blossoming" too... spring's here ok, but still, JUDDD might be the one to blame
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Too old for acne here. I think it could be the toxins leaving your body, but I don't really know, sorry. x
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I did the first two weeks of JUDDDing and I am 53, so I guess it is caused from the detox effect?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have had hives several times since starting JUDDD and I'm convinced it's from the toxins being released from the fat cells. I have always had acne that comes and goes with no rhyme or reason (and I'm nearly 40!) and I don't know if mine's any worse with JUDDD, but it makes sense to me. Fat is just all around evil. Not only does it make you, well, fat, but it also stores all the nasty little things that aren't good for our bodies.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
UGH! Me too!! I pretty much always have a zit or two (thanks to my lovely oily skin), but this is crazy!! I have a whole jawline full of acne and a couple nice big hormonal cysts! I have a feeling it's because of my wheat consumption (I have huge issues with wheat) my face gets pretty clear when I stay away from wheat.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I broke out too and had weird rashes. But, after that all cleared up, my skin has really been nicer than ever. I had a nice complexion before, but for the past month or so, I've noticed that my face seems smoother...the little bumps around my nose and chin are gone.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your replies.

I'm thankful I'm not alone on this one... Well, not that anyone else has this problem, but it's good to know it's likely a detox thing that will get better over time. It's so bad right now that I'm embarrassed to even go out in public! But, if it's the price I have to pay for getting healthy, then so be it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
Try a dose of Apple Cider Vinegar a day ( the real unfiltered stuff) I swear by its many benefits but the one I noticed first was how great my complexion became, and people noticed!

*note* I don't were makeup so I don't know if that's a factor or not.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I'd guess the detox. Estrogen is stored in fat cells too. So as you lose fat, you are going to have more estrogen floating around, leading to hormonal breakouts.

I think liver support is good to help your body detox. There are herbal supps for liver support that might be helpful. Do some googling and see if you can find something with good reviews.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I'm nearly 70, so all you "young"ens" take this with a grain of salt....but my complexion has never looked better! And, it's not just my imagination...I've had several people comment on it. I use coconut oil for night cream, and it really seems to help. Also, use it under my makeup. I really never had a problem with breakouts, even as a teen, so that may be why I haven't experienced this. But, in the long run, I think this WOE can only help the situation!.

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have had sporadic bouts of really really oily skin and hair. just the last few days my chest broke out. am I 14? bah
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
I can relate. I'm 37 and for the first 3 weeks, I was a walking zit farm. I guess it is a detox effect.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Another acne sufferer here. I still get the cystic kind around the time of my period. Wheat and sugar aggravate it. When it seems like it's getting worse for no reason I know it's because I'm losing weight. Soon after, it looks better then ever.
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
Try a dose of Apple Cider Vinegar a day ( the real unfiltered stuff) I swear by its many benefits but the one I noticed first was how great my complexion became, and people noticed!

*note* I don't were makeup so I don't know if that's a factor or not.

Do you drink it or put in on your skin? (I think I've heard of people doing both?) If you drink ACV, how much? I used to put it in my 4C drinks but stopped taking it awhile ago. Not a bad thing to pick up again as I know ACV has many benefits!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter View Post
Do you drink it or put in on your skin? (I think I've heard of people doing both?) If you drink ACV, how much? I used to put it in my 4C drinks but stopped taking it awhile ago. Not a bad thing to pick up again as I know ACV has many benefits!
I put 1oz in a tall glass of water....or lately Crystal Light Appletini.

You can put it on your skin but something I found works better is Witch Hazel which is a natural astringent, followed by coconut oil.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
I put 1oz in a tall glass of water....or lately Crystal Light Appletini.

You can put it on your skin but something I found works better is Witch Hazel which is a natural astringent, followed by coconut oil.
Thanks!

I'll start with the ACV and coconut oil tomorrow. I need to pick up some witch hazel as I don't have any right now. I hope it helps!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
What also helps is an aspirin facial, it contains, like witch hazel, salicylic acid, which helps combat zits. Aspirin of course is more concentrated.

I crush up one aspirin, ad a couple of drops of water and dab the paste on the affected area. You can also crush up several, and make it more watery and use it as a scrub, leave on face for about 30 secs, wash off and then go about your normal facial routine. Don't leave the aspirin more than 30 seconds on your skin!

Also, make sure make up brushes are clean, and wash them regularly. Don't touch your face with your hands, unless they are clean. Things you probably already know, but not bad to repeat them!

I second ACV and Virgin Coconut Oil for extra help!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter View Post
Thanks!

I'll start with the ACV and coconut oil tomorrow. I need to pick up some witch hazel as I don't have any right now. I hope it helps!
One word of wisdom from someone who has been using coconut oil (organic) on her face for months now....apply with a light hand. I scoop a little blob out of the jar rub it in my hands and then apply it, it should not look like an oil slick and should soak in within a minute or two. If you go bananas you will have issues (zitty issues! )....don't ask me how I know this.

I use coconut oil on my legs right after showering and shaving and the scars I had had on them before are all but gone, and my legs are sooooo soft!!

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I just wanted to add that I am one who breaks out when my skin is dry. All the lotions (like alpha hydrox) that exfoliate make things worse for me. I'm better off using a natural soap on my face for washing (just once/day in the shower) and then moisturizing. Oil of Olay is the best for me...I've tried numerous lotions in hopes to find something more natural (w/o parabens), but nothing works like it (moisture that lasts w/ greasiness). I use eminence for an eye cream, which is more natural and works amazingly well (again not greasy, but moisturizing). Anyway, sometimes, I'll just apply more lotion and not wash my face for the day.

I haven't done the coconut oil, but I'm sure it would work just great! I stopped using shampoo over a year ago and my hair/scalp is in better shape than it ever was and I can go much longer between washings. Soap dries out our skin and allows bacteria in...in my opinion...and I've had good luck using it less on sensitive areas. (obviously I still use it ). I use different natural soaps (just to try different things) and I'm using one right now with lots of coconut oil/milk in it. It is really nice. Anything with neem (natural antimicrobial) and/or dead sea salt is also high on my list.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #21

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
One word of wisdom from someone who has been using coconut oil (organic) on her face for months now....apply with a light hand. I scoop a little blob out of the jar rub it in my hands and then apply it, it should not look like an oil slick and should soak in within a minute or two. If you go bananas you will have issues (zitty issues! )....don't ask me how I know this.

I use coconut oil on my legs right after showering and shaving and the scars I had had on them before are all but gone, and my legs are sooooo soft!!
My skin must be drier than yours. I slick up my face and neck pretty well (takes about 20 minutes to soak in thoroughly) and my skin has never been happier.

I use sesame oil on my legs, never considered the coconut oil for that.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

I'm quite acne-prone too (adult acne, never had teen acne), although I've fortunately been able to find out what triggers it and how to deal with it so it's mostly minimal nowadays.

I find that when I eat less (like on a DD), my skin is generally better but is more sensitive to 'trigger foods'. You may also be eating something that triggers your acne in a greater portion due to trying to reduce calories. You might try eliminating some common 'acne trigger foods' from your diet (e.g. dairy, sugar - if, of course, you haven't done that already) for a week or so and see if that helps.

I don't know if you are taking any new supplements, but when I tried L-glutamine (or whatever it's called - the one that Atkins recommends) I got gigantic acnes. On the other hand, a number of supplements are supposed to help acne, so if you think you might not be getting enough vitamins, you might try a B-vitamin supplement or a mineral supplement; I think anything designed for hair, skin, and nails would be helpful.

As for topical remedies, I'm sure you've gotten plenty of advice in your adult life (I know I got tons of unsolicited advice!), but many people say that putting extra-virgin olive oil on your face daily helps to reduce acne. Also, I follow a routine which is similar to one described in a book called _The Acne Cure_ - basically, 10% benzoyl peroxide wash in the morning, and a 5-10% glycolic acid cream at night (without using any salycilic acid products as that interferes with the glycolic acid, according to the author). (In the book he recommends leaving the benzoyl peroxide on the skin for 10 minutes with an ice pack, but I can't really be bothered to do that every day and this works fine for me.) This is the best routine that I've found so far. Of course, my advice was wholly unsolicited so apologies in advance if you've already tried these things!

Anyway, I hope your acne settles down soon and try not to be embarrassed - your acne is no one else's business in public. I think acne is a lot like weight loss; people who never had to do it come up and say useless things like 'You should wash your skin more often' or 'Were you eating chocolate?' (as far as I know there is no evidence that pure chocolate is an acne trigger, although milk and sugar which are in chocolate bars are) and judge people on the basis of acne which is more like a medical condition and is not something to judge someone's character by.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
I'm not on Juddd yet, but know a lot about skin problems. The skin is the largest organ to get rid of the toxins. So everytime you change your diet, your skin chances. It's a good sign, altough it is annyoing for you. But it will fade away. My skin got a lot better when I becam vegan and refused to eat animal fat. Diary and wheat can have a very bad effect to the skin. Eating lots of raw food is helping too, since you don't destroy the enzymes ,it can help your skin get clear.
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote