Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
DD for Vegans

Hey girls! I am totally new to JUDDD and just ordered the book. I am really excited to get started but already see my DD as being a challenge bc I am vegan. Any suggestions for things to eat so that I'm covering my bases. Thanks!
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Are Shirataki noodles vegan? They are from a plant root and are made with lime.
I eat oat bran or oat groats for B on DD's. Split pea soup with shirataki noodles for lunch or veggie soup for lunch with the noodles. And I am not even vegan so it could be done easily.
Welcome and good luck.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
chia almond milk!
I drink this every morning, but it saves my life on down days.
I mix up three days worth in three pint jars and keep in fridge.
I just gel at least overnight (I like the texture best this way)
1 T organic chia seeds in 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. or you could use coconut milk if you prefer. sometimes I put 3 drops organic stevia but mostly not for down days as sweet taste seems to trigger the desire to eat for me. Just that cup of chia milk gets me through to early afternoon and I can take my supplements without getting an upset tummy.
Lowfat sweet potato soup works too. I peel and chop up three medium sweet potatoes (weigh them after cut up to figure your calories per serving) cook in just a measured teaspoon of coconut oil and a quarter cup of water on the stovetop until they get completely soft and can be mashed. Mash them up, add salt to taste, a can of good lowfat first pressed coconut milk (bpa free can) and water to make it soupy. A little freshly grated nutmeg and cracked pepper makes this perfect. Mine is usually six servings.
Shirataki with any lowcal vegan sauce.
Oats, peas, lentils, coconut milk yogurt
Pretty much anything you know you should be eating for your health. Make sure you are getting enough protein from your foods, I'm sure you watch that already

Last edited by b_lou_who; 04-03-2012 at 12:12 PM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
There are some really good fat free vegan websites with great recipes.
Oatmeal, beans, lara bars are good and avacados and meat subsitutes. Veggie broth and soups are good as well. Portabellas are wonderful for a subsitute.
Good luck
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post
Hey girls! I am totally new to JUDDD and just ordered the book. I am really excited to get started but already see my DD as being a challenge bc I am vegan. Any suggestions for things to eat so that I'm covering my bases. Thanks!
I am not vegan, but do have most DDs that are. Just focus on the veggies that are the lowest in calories for your Down Days and save the higher calorie things for your UDs. You'll be fine.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PixieKGirl
Stats: 163/152/136
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 3/26/12
I'm not vegan but I'm so burnt out on following low carb that I'm naturally eating a ton of veggies, especially DD's. I make a broth (with beef base but there are vegan broths) and I put a ton of vegetables in - kale, parsley, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots. I sip on it all afternoon. 6 cups comes out to be about 230 calories and I've yet to finish the whole thing.
PixieKGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of the creative suggestions :-) All such great ideas!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Woohoo, finally I come across another vegan judder

I eat mostly fruit and veggies on DDs

Today I had a bowl of strawberries with soy yogurt about 3pm, and then a huge bowl of salad with a bit of tofu for dinner.

Sometimes I make dishes with shiritaki noodles, or drink miso soup, and very often make a big batch of fat free veggie soup. (recent ones have been pea and asparagus/ tomato and red pepper/leek and cauliflower)
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
Hey Nicki ! Welcome !

I am almost vegan myself so if you want you can check the "it's xxxday, what are you eating" thread, I post everyday, you might find ideas in my menus

anyway for me DD are veggies (letuce, greens, green beans, mushrooms...) and soup mostly, with rice cakes.
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Nicki, Hatewashingup, can I suggest you have a look over in the NEwbies thread as soon as possible. We have another brand new vegan there, Rebecca Stratton I think. it would be wonderful if you can support each other.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks girls! I will check into that thread Annie.

Ideally I would like to do liquid meals on DD bc I am lazy (haven't read the book yet so I'm not sure if this is even recommended) but I was thinking a fruit/veg smoothie in the morning with extra fiber/flax, a green juice mid afternoon, and a protein shake of hemp or brown rice in the evening. Maybe celery and low cal hummus if I need to chew on something :-)
Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
Nut Milks are not for everyone. I love coconut milk, gluc and some flax meal... fauz cream of wheat.
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wow Mariacj, great avatar!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Hi you all, I'm the brand new vegan member, as Kissa already mentioned!
I am vegan since 5 years, and have about 15pounds too loose. The problem I have is that I have always eaten very few calories, just because I can't get down a lot. So I believe my body is in starvation mode, because I'm not losing any weight no matter what I do, and I gain when ever I eat something that isn't a veggie, even fruits are a trigger for me. I'm just kinda sick of that, want to eat my healthy vegan and mostly raw foods.
Are you counting how much protein you eat on you dd and up? Or does it really not matter at all on juddd?

Thank you!
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I was vegan for 2 years, but reverted back to being vegetarian when I restarted low carb a couple of months ago. I wasn't entirely comfortable with consuming dairy & eggs again and decided to give JUDDD a try, since it does not restrict any food groups. I started JUDDD on March 23 and this week I'm happily back to eating vegan again. I'm finding that it is easy to eat vegan on a DD.

If you want to use shakes, get some vegan protein powder and mix with almond milk. Vegetable soups are filling and low cal. I make cream of cauliflower or broccoli soup with vegetable broth, a half cup of unsweetened almond milk, a bit of soy sauce & herbs, steamed broccoli or cauliflower, and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes. Blend everything together and heat the soup on the stove.

i didn't gain weight as a vegan but I sure wasn't losing anything. It probably didn't help that at least where I live, there are lots of tempting options like vegan donuts. I'm not staying away from junk entirely on JUDDD but it has helped change my outlook and how I view food. I no longer have the mindset of thinking oh, I may as well eat ____ now because I'll start another diet soon.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #16

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaSimpson View Post
I am vegan since 5 years, and have about 15pounds too loose. The problem I have is that I have always eaten very few calories, just because I can't get down a lot. So I believe my body is in starvation mode, because I'm not losing any weight no matter what I do, and I gain when ever I eat something that isn't a veggie, even fruits are a trigger for me. I'm just kinda sick of that, want to eat my healthy vegan and mostly raw foods.
Are you counting how much protein you eat on you dd and up? Or does it really not matter at all on juddd?

Thank you!
From what you write here, it appears to me that your body is to a point now where it is really not working very well. If you are eating mostly just some vegetables and your body is refusing to release much/any body fat, it appears it is hanging onto its weight as though it was hanging onto its life. So we will hope to change that.

The thing we are beginning to think now is that a body can sense itself in a time of famine if any of the macro-nutrient groups are too scant. So if you are eating too low on fats, too low on carbohydrate, or too low on protein, for long enough, your body will interpret your poor or scant diet as starvation and your metabolism will plummet. That makes weight loss real hard to come by. LOL

So first of all, YES.. protein counts on JUDDD. It is felt by some that we don't need as much as the bodybuilding sites encourage, but we certainly do need the ample amount required to build solid lean muscle. That muscle is a great part of what makes our metabolism burn well! In fact, one of the things that causes metabolism to slow and lag in older folks, well, even starting in early middle age, is that they lose muscle as the years pass, and it slows their metabolism! So, YES.. you do need protein! The protein builds the muscle. The muscle builds the metabolism, and the metabolism burns the body FAT.

You say that you want to eat a lot of your foods raw, and I enjoy quite a few raw foods too, but once again.. you probably already know this, of which veggies have to be cooked to release certain nutrients, and certain veggies need to be cooked for our bodies to be able to extract and utilize certain nutrients found in them.

Vegan is fine, but just as with any other way of eating, you can really care for your body well by how you eat, or slowly but surely you can damage your body and it's ability to function correctly.

It sounds like maybe you will benefit from the healing effects of this way of eating. I hope you love it!

Welcome to you and to all of you folks. This is an exciting forum with so many delighted to be losing the weight and healing their bodies and the function of their bodies, at the same time they are eating very, very well!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Hi Pat: thank you for taking time to reply in such big detail. I do have my protein powder which is vegan, and I'll continue to have it. I like how it smells and I feel that is doing me good. I research a lot about veganism and protein, and about 9 months ago I upped my fat to over 6tbs a day. I take a lot of coconut oil, since this should be healing a broken metabolism. I will try juddd for sure ,and I guess I will have to give it at least a month, and not be discouraged when the scale bounds as in the beginning. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Lisamt: wohooo for you being back on vegan, and feeling happy about it!!!
There really is too much junk food veganised in the last years. I never at that, since I avoid white flour and sugar, and mostly all carbs. But I think we should be allowed to treat ourself sometimes. Good luck for you and juddd
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaSimpson View Post

Thank you!
Hi Rebecca, I'm Hannah, nice to meet you!

Sounds like we have a bit in common as I have eaten totally raw vegan in the past, and now eat cooked with a lot of raw, but try to avoid processed foods and generally eat as healthily as possible.

I don't really count my protein anymore, I hate counting so just make a rough log of my cals in a notebook. However I would guess at about 10g on a DD and about 70g on a UD. Juddd is all about the calories and lets you sort out the macronutrients composition as you please.

Hopefully juddd will help with your metabolism which may have been slowed by eating low calories every day. I felt I had the same problem, and I still have not lost any weight in the 3 weeks I have been doing juddd, but I am very close to goal so expecting slow loss. And I sometimes cheat a bit on uds . But on the plus side I have not gained any weight and I could never have imagined eating as many cals as i do on UDs and not gaining!
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

I sometimes make lentil soup on my DD's. The way I make it is:

(1) Boil 2 tbsp red lentils in water + vegetable broth + tumeric, cumin, salt, and black pepper (or other spices of choice) until the lentils appear pureed (about 1/2 hour). Mix/puree. (I usually use enough water/broth to make 2 bowls of soup)

(2) Add a small amount of fat (I usually use olive oil or margarine spread) - it really needs this for the taste.

(3) Top with ample amounts of chopped cilantro, parsley, and/or chives.

You could add other vegetables (like onions) but I find it's not necessary when I use vegetable broth, and I avoid doing that to save on the calories.

Also, I made a 'refried bean soup' once that wasn't bad out of a 100-calorie package of fat-free refried beans (not a common food over here), onion, garlic, chile pepper, and some chopped shirataki noodles (to mimic rice). Also topped with chopped cilantro.

Both of these might help you to get protein on DD's without using too many calories. I think lentils would be good for you if your body is needing protein/vitamins.

Finally, I've found a brand of vegan protein shake mix (Spirulina) made of soy, pea, and rice protein that I mix with a small amount of milk substitute and stevia that I have for lunch sometimes.

Good luck with JUDDD!

Last edited by Avicenna; 04-04-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I posted a couple soups on DD thread and you can do variations w different vegies;

Zucchini (this is yummy) Saute some garlic and red pepper flakes in a little EVOO, add some stock and zucchs (this should be high in zucchs, low in stock). After it's cooked enough to just soften the zucchs, puree w a stick blender.

Pumpkin soup is about the same except no blending....add some curry or ginger, etc.

Tonight I making a cauli mash.

Use whatever vegie you like; Be creative.

And, of course, there's tofu, miso......Endless low cal options.

I have learned after much trial, to focus on vegies but I always have some type of smoothie for breakfast. This is usually the most cals of the day at about 200.
Today was milk (your choice), protein powder, pumpkin, stevia and spice.

Having a soup in winter just satisfies me more so that's another reason plus it keeps me warmer.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Hi Hannah, nice meeting you too, thank you! I'm close to goal too, so I expect slow losses too. I haven't started yet, but will def.give it a try. Sounds like a dream to eat what you want an not gaining weight! But I hope for you that you start losing and get rid of your last unwanted pounds!

Thank you Avicenna sounds delicious!

Thank you Jem51, I love cauliflower mash.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Double post

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-05-2012 at 07:27 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi, I used to make vegan soups for a health food store and just want to mention that THAI CURRY (green or red) makes just about anything super-yummy!

One of my more popular soups was sweet potato, coconut milk, and red Thai curry. Not exactly a DD recipe, but you can improvise from there...spinach, cauliflower, etc...

Nutritional yeast is good in soup, on salads, rice & POPCORN!!! I put it in hemp shakes & green drinks too.

Seitan is pretty much fat-free, low in carbs & calories so it's a good DD protein (if you can eat gluten). Plus the chewiness is so satisfying!!!

I don't really have recipes but wanted to mention a couple of my favorite ingredients.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote