Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Adjusting The Calories (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/766119-adjusting-calories.html)

Beeb 04-03-2012 07:55 AM

Adjusting The Calories

I have seen this asked many times and my usual answer is that I have not done this throughout my weight loss journey or even now in maintenance.

Well, times are changing and I am finding I really do need to adjust my numbers. My weight is creeping up (not much but not comfortable, either) so today I went back and looked at my average daily calories for all the months I have done JUDDD and what I found is my calories are now more than they were when I started JUDDD but I am doing less exercise because of a foot issue so eating more is not working. This does not equal to maintaining my weight at all. I have never been a big one for exercise anyway but now I hardly get around much so it's even less.

I went back to see on the calculator what my numbers should be and I found that it is my UD number that I'm presently eating that is too high. I am now lowering it to see if I can get off this bit of "creeping" weight and maintain again at the 133/134 that I love. At present my weight is 136.4 and this is after a very good DD AND this is the lowest for the last 2 weeks. :down: BUT, I have been eating at least 300 calories more than suggested on the JUDDD calculator for my UDs at my present weight so here seems to be the problem.

Going to start this lower UD number today and see how it goes. I'm doing it at 45% on the calculator and will up it to 50/55% when I get back to my :jumpjoy: weight. This will not bring the UD calorie number up, but will up my DD calories a little bit. Also, I did add 35 more calories to my suggested UD number bringing it to 1600 instead of 1565 but that is just a "wiggle" number to give myself a bit of peace of mind with my UD number. With what I will be doing I will be averaging 1150 calories a day (UD + DD divided by 2 for the daily average).

So, long story short: I think it's a good thing to adjust calories as you are losing. Even though, for me, I didn't do it and still lost fine I think in maintenance I will have to go by the lowers UD calories now. Some can do those FDs on maintenance and I did do them for a few months but not anymore. Creeping weight is NOT a good thing and I'm nipping this right in the bud before it gets out of hand! I will probably still do a FD on holidays/special days/birthday but that is about all.

Just thought this may help others and I will keep you all in the loop on how it's working for me. I will be changing my stats daily to reflect the UD and DD weight everyday. :)

Dottie 04-03-2012 08:10 AM

Thanks for posting this Linda, and I hope you find your "magic number" quickly:)
I've read here, a lot, that maintenance is harder than losing!

Beeb 04-03-2012 08:23 AM

Thanks Dottie! :hugs: That number will "appear", just got to work on finding it again. ;)

Yes, it is a bit harder especially when you are trying to stay in a weight range and things start to move up too far. :stars: In weight loss mode we usually see the scale going down but in maintenance it's either still going down when we don't want it to or it's creepy up past our "comfort zone" number so it's always a little tweak here or there to make things flow a little better. I know that the scale doesn't stay the same all the time, that is the "bounce" of JUDDD, but when the scale doesn't stay in a certain range we know it may need a tweak or 2. In my case it is that original UD number that needs to come down, I'm almost sure of this now after looking at my average calories during weight loss. I can't eat more now in maintenance and not expect to gain again, just makes sense to me.

SoHappy 04-03-2012 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Beeb;15550972]

"..........I am finding I really do need to adjust my numbers. My weight is creeping up (not much but not comfortable, either) so today I went back and looked at my average daily calories for all the months I have done JUDDD and what I found is my calories are now more than they were when I started JUDDD but I am doing less exercise because of a foot issue so eating more is not working. This does not equal to maintaining my weight at all. I have never been a big one for exercise anyway but now I hardly get around much so it's even less..........."

You know how weight fluctuates so much? Well, our calorie needs fluctuate quite a bit too. So the number of calories we needed at age 45 may have to be cut back just slightly from what we could burn at ate 44. And Calories may need to be cut back also if we aren't in a period of being quite so active as we have been.

I think for the rest of our lives, probably, we need to stay on top of our weight and be ready to tweak, either up or down, depending on our current weight situation, and that current weight situation is most often dependent upon our current life situation.

So adjusting your calories will be no problem at all, no big deal at all, and may, in fact, only be a temporary need. Or not. But it is a need that you see you have to attend to now.

"..........I went back to see on the calculator what my numbers should be and I found that it is my UD number that I'm presently eating that is too high. I am now lowering it to see if I can get off this bit of "creeping" weight and maintain again at the 133/134 that I love. At present my weight is 136.4 and this is after a very good DD AND this is the lowest for the last 2 weeks. BUT, I have been eating at least 300 calories more than suggested on the JUDDD calculator for my UDs at my present weight so here seems to be the problem.........."

I do remember when you had quickly lost the weight and reached your goal that you had to do some fast scrambling and adjusting upward of your calorie numbers in order to halt the weight loss from going on down below the weight you felt good at. So that must have been the time you adjusted up to your present UD calorie number.

And while I'm a big, BIG believer in the power of eating every single calorie you can on an UD to play against the low DDs as a strong way to stimulate metabolism and to keep metabolism up, at some point... the calories can be too high for our current needs. Because, as I pointed out above, even our metabolism goes through fluctuations, and if it's running a little slower now than it was at the time you entered maintenance, you can experience some weight gain where previously you maintained.

Often/sometimes/often we can eat at a higher calorie level in maintenance than our UD number would suggest. I do. I expect many will end up being able to eat higher UD calories than their calculator gives them, eventually. But it's always something to keep an eye on, so as our metabolism adjusts up or down to what's going on in our lives in addition to just the food/calories we eat, and our weight fluctuates up or down, we can adjust our calories a bit as well. Once your weight is hitting that high ceiling of your maintenance range, or popping up above that, it's time to rein in the calories again.

"..........Going to start this lower UD number today and see how it goes. I'm doing it at 45% on the calculator and will up it to 50/55% when I get back to my weight. This will not bring the UD calorie number up, but will up my DD calories a little bit. Also, I did add 35 more calories to my suggested UD number bringing it to 1600 instead of 1565 but that is just a "wiggle" number to give myself a bit of peace of mind with my UD number. With what I will be doing I will be averaging 1150 calories a day (UD + DD divided by 2 for the daily average).........."

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this works perfectly for you! Once you get your numbers right for this period of your life, you should get to where you want your weight again very shortly.

"..........So, long story short: I think it's a good thing to adjust calories as you are losing. Even though, for me, I didn't do it and still lost fine I think in maintenance I will have to go by the lowers UD calories now. Some can do those FDs on maintenance and I did do them for a few months but not anymore. Creeping weight is NOT a good thing and I'm nipping this right in the bud before it gets out of hand! I will probably still do a FD on holidays/special days/birthday but that is about all.........."

I'm of the belief that if weight loss isn't slowing down appreciably, it is a good thing to keep the UD calories up, and only re-figure and lower your calorie numbers if the weight loss slows.

One of the things that can affect all of this is... the Free Days.

We even have folks doing Free Days before maintenance, and I can certainly understand that measuring food and counting calories is a major hassle. It's just so much easier to not bother counting any calories on UDs and just actually doing them as FDs. And if it works, it works. As long as it works. And doesn't *cost you something* in the long run.

And it's certainly a goal to be able to eat without counting on UDs once we finally get to maintenance, but there is one danger to it. (And I don't know whether you did Free Days or not..)

Since Free Days are unmeasured and uncounted, if you aren't pretty darned good at this guessing game in a calorie-based diet, we can see a couple of things that could happen. Obviously, if you go over your calorie ceiling very much, very often.. you're probably going to experience a bit of weight (fat) gain as a result.

The Other Thing that can happen is that by being under your calories by very much, very often, you have now turned yourself into a person who is very low on DDs, and sort of low on UD, and that equals out to a pretty low average on an ongoing basis. And for most of us, that also equals a metabolism that becomes 'set' down at that lower calorie level. If you aren't a person who cares to ever eat higher, burn faster, etc. then having a metabolic function that is set slower may not bother you at all. But it's something to consider when you find yourself in the position of eating lower calories on all or most or many of your UDs.

So, you may not have had any or many Free Days, or if you did, you may have been really good at guesstimating them right on target, but while FDs are a lot of fun, they have a little edge of danger to them! LOL

I know you will be completely successful in getting your weight back to the number/size that you are happiest at right now. Hugs, Friend! Let us know how it goes.

sophiethecat 04-03-2012 01:54 PM

:hugs: for you, Beeb. I know you will get this figured out and you will drop back down to the weight you love. :hugs:

Kissa 04-03-2012 02:06 PM

Dearest Linda, I will be backing you every step of the way and I know you will soon fix this.

I have read every word here and I agree with you and Pat, those FDs can be dangerous, (I have just had one, but actually it went rather well).

Sending all my positive thoughts.

mykidsteacher 04-03-2012 02:19 PM

Beeb, you will reign this in in no time. I appreciate you posting to help us all see that maintenance isn't 'set it and forget it'. We do still need to be vigilant, and sometimes we need to tweak.

But isn't it wonderful that with JUDDD we have an easy mechanism to get a handle on those extra 3 pounds before they have a chance to turn into 30?

Beeb 04-03-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, support and faith in me, and especially our Miss Pat for her, as usual, wonderful explanation, info and suggestions.

Things went well today, stayed about up to my UD cals and tomorrow will a normal 700 calorie DD that I usual do. Will keep my stats updated to reflect my daily weigh-ins and weight change!

:hugs:

gotsomeold 04-04-2012 03:11 AM

I have a lot of friends and family members who are on the skinny side. I used to be so jealous when they ate as much or more than I did...and stayed skinny.

Gradually, and especially as we all aged, I realized most of them are doing their own version of caloric restriction. Eat big during social events, starve themselves in private. (Actually, the realization was not gradual. My always-tiny sister shouted, "Shut up! This is the only meal I will eat for the next three days! When no one is looking, I eat lettuce.")

Calories matter. Calories always have and always will matter. JUDDD lets us enjoy them.

I hope your foot problem clears up soon, Beeb.