Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
Exercise - do I HAVE to?

Hi guys,

Do you exercise?

Recent studies show that exercise does not really contribute to weight loss.

Yes, I know, there are lots of other good reasons for exercise, but I'm speaking here specifically about weight loss.

Do you think that exercise is a key component of JUDDD?

Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sara7272
Stats: 269/242/160 5'4"-31yo
WOE: Low carb my own way, started at 280 in 9/2010
Start Date: Starting over.... 1/6/14
I don't and I haven't done it regularly since I started, but I wish I had and still need to get my arse in gear and start doing it. I think it really helps with body recomposition and general well being... Maybe if I did it along the way I wouldn't be so mushy? who knows, but I know it's a necessity at some point.

But speaking specifically about weight loss as in numbers on the scale? Not necessary, lost 85lbs without it!
Sara7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Well you don't HAVE to, but:

Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I don't do formal exercise. I walk around at work a lot and do a total of 3 hours of heavy duty outside chores morning and evening 7 days a week so I consider myself not sedentary but not really active either.
And I am steadily losing and I feel in decent shape.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I exercise...but I like to do it. I also like the changes to my body by doing it. It is not necessary for weight loss, but, I believe, for overall health and welnness. Also, having more muscle burns more calories at rest, and I eating.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I do what used to be Bodyrock and is now ZWOW with Zuzana Light.

ZuzkaLight - YouTube

I've been doing them off and on for months and I love the way they make me feel. You also get results in the form of shaping up and they burn fat better than any other sort of exercise. It only takes ten minutes a day four times a week. Google HIIT or Tabata Protocol for the science on why these workouts really rock!

I never had the time or inclination for hour long cardios and they make you hungry. ZWOWS just make me feel relaxed and energised.

They did long term tests on runners and found they all gained fat after a year of serious jogging. I think HIIT plus just being active is the healthy way to keep fit.

The combination of HIIT and JUDDD is state of the art for keeping healthy and lean.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Arg...silly tablet double-post!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-03-2012 at 07:47 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post

I love that video. Turning it around to limiting your sitting around and sleeping to just 23 and a half hours a day is funny and effective.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't think it's necessary for weight loss (based on experience and reading).

However, I am increasingly of the opinion that workouts are more effective on DDs--for building muscle and increasing insulin sensitivity as well as for reinforcing the famine/feast "message" our bodies get from JUDDD. I recently started doing intense 15-20 minute kettlebell workouts on DDs--feels great! But longer than that and I get too hungry.

I sometimes do long, slow/medium paced walks on UDs--not so much to lose weight as to keep my blood sugar down and increase stamina. I hate getting out of breath! It makes me feel 10 times older & fatter!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
You can certainly lose weight without exercise, as studies have shown, but I also read somewhere that for long term maintenance of weightloss, being active and exercising is key.

I really like doing T-tapp. It also helps with my bad knee.
It really helps with general core strength, toning and inch loss as well as working out your lymph system...

HIIT is also great and you don't need to spend a lot of time doing it for good results...

Hmmmm maybe I should incorporate that into my daily routine...

Right now, I'm feeling quite fat, so I've started doing T-tapp basic workout again and will try and build up to the total workout. I also body brush for skin tightening benefits and lymphatic drainage. I also walk every day at a high tempo for 45-60 minutes.

I hate exercise, but once I get going, I feel good, and afterwards I feel great. That's why I do it.

Weightloss is great, but without moving your body it may not give you the sculpting end results you may be hoping for.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I'm another one who does not think exercise actually makes me lose weight. If I exercise hard, I "work up an appetite" and eat more. During the times when I packed on the pounds off and on over the years, and this last time with the biggest gain, exercise didn't help me lose weight. It got real frustrating too that I was eating less and exercising like we are told to do, but the weight was not coming off. I didn't exercise during my JUDDD weight loss, and lost well, even in maintenance.

I don't like to exercise, so when I start a routine, it's not that long before it's going to drop off. I think my longest stretch was when I had a gym membership years ago, and last summer when I was doing Callanetics every other day for a month and a half. Also, walking in the warm months is pretty easy to keep up.

OK, with all that said, like others have stated, I do believe exercise has its wonderful benefits. Shapes the body, builds muscle, improves insulin resistance, helps regulate other hormones, improves mood and well-being, helps activate the sirtuins. Other benefits too, I'm sure. We are made to move, not just sit, and exercise strengthens and benefits us greatly (says the girl from the couch, lol.)

So I do bounce gently on the rebounder almost daily (mini-trampoline), and that's something I enjoy doing and have been able to stick with for 2 months so far because it's easy, conveniently located on the floor a couple feet away from me and I can just jump on 2 or 3 times per day for a couple minutes. I don't get all sweaty and out of breath, I don't have to change into special clothes or do a warm up or anything.

I can feel it working my muscles from my feet to my chest as they tighten and relax during the up and down movement. This is gentle bouncing - my feet don't leave the top of the rebounder all the way. I'm not getting in knockout shape this way, but then I have no desire to be a runner or jogger or complete an athletic endeavor or have a hard body. I just want to get some of the health benefits and tighten up a little for the more revealing clothes of summer. I will probably start doing push-up and dips to work on my upper arms soon, as I would like them to be a little more defined than they are.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-03-2012 at 08:18 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
Thanks for all the great feedback.

The video was really effective.

As to my own level of exercise, I guess I get to "count" walking the dog ... only when it's the quick-stepping maltese/poodle, not the lazy beagle/basset hound .

I also try to walk alot when playing golf. dh drives the cart, and I generally just grab a couple of clubs and walk between shots.

Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carla70
Stats: 225/225/150
Start Date: 05/05/2014
I never liked to exercise and starting in February I was really good and doing it every other day, then a week off here and there has happened. I know for me I feel better and am starting to feel more toned up. I do treadmill with the Couch 25k program. I never ever liked running but this I like. I just am doing it at my own pace. I try to master a week before moving on.

Tonight I will walk on dreadmill and get back into Couch 25k tomorrow morning again. I haven't done it since last monday..

I never use to like exercise. Is JUDDD doing this to me also
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been trying hard to reprogram my brain about exercise. I typically drag my feet about it but I have written a list of affirmations about why exercise is good, I am drilling them into my head. Then when I'm on the treadmill, I smile. I tell myself how wonderful it is. I imagine how great it will feel when I'm done and I can tell myself that I did it! I download trivia podcasts or stuff like that and learn weird obscure facts, and then when I get off I run to tell my husband about the history of the tampon or where the word "escalate" comes from. So I'm faking it until I actually feel it, but I know for SURE that if I kept telling myself how much I dislike sweating etc , I would never get off my butt!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I also want to add that I suffer from chronic pain from past injuries and herniated discs and without exercise, I would be miserable. It has taken me awhile to find exercises that help my conditions (and not hinder me....like I can't run anymore ), but since I have much less pain in general, it is incentive to keep going. This didn't happen overnight - it has been a long process! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to have less pain, to be strong, and to not have to take pain medication.

Also, I worked hard to the exercises that I like to do and seeing results keeps me going. Building strength where I know I didn't have any is so rewarding. For example, I have weak triceps, but I can make do some tricep push ups and dips now - something I was never able to do before. It is so rewarding!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Exercise alone without changing your diet gets you nowhere in terms of weight loss, IME. I worked out (hard) for a year and lost not a pound.

But, exercise along with changing your diet is pretty effective, IME. I do exercise most days (mostly light exercise like a 1 1/2 hour walk, or an hour of Callanetics) and it's made a big difference in my SHAPE. I'm in much smaller sizes at a higher weight than I was in the past when I wasn't exercising. No one can believe I weigh as much as I do.

Heavy exercise does increase my appetite and makes it harder to keep calories low. By heavy exercise I mean 60 minutes on the elliptical. I was doing that for a long time and I ate a lot more. I haven't tried it since I started JUDDDing, maybe I should. But I'm really happy with the light exercise I'm doing, so I may not.

So after all that...my answer would be that it's not necessary for weight loss. But it's necessary for quality of life and functional fitness and having a better shape. What's that saying about dieting makes you look good in your clothes but exercise makes you look good naked? I think that's true!

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
I can only speak from my own experience and say that exercising has changed my body more than any diet has. Since I started exercising regularly again in January, I have barely seen any loss on the scale, but have dropped a dress size, and developed noticeable definition in my arms, legs and abs.

Having said that I do exercise a lot, at least 6 times a week, and am already at a healthy weight, so I don't imagine these changes would be visible on somebody with more to lose. Mainly I just love feeling super fit and healthy, and being able to do more press ups than most guys I know!

JUDDDING and exercising my last few unwanted pounds away!
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
I exercise 3-4 times a week and I have to say that no weight loss has occurred because of it. But, I know there's got to be some good things going on because of it, even if it's just inside.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I wish I could exercise! I miss my walking (have a BAD foot issue and no money/health insurance to help it) and my biking is limited because of the weather right now. I do feel better when I do something during the day but what is a person to do with limited mobility or time?

I didn't exercise during my weight loss journey but know that if I had I probably would have been "lighter" in spirit than I was. Not sure if the pounds would have come off faster, but my mental attitude would probably had been better, I'm sure.

But on the flip side too much exercise makes me extremely hunger and that would have been very hard on DDs for me.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda I think if you look at exercise more as a "just raise your heart rate, do whatever!" way then you could probably get a good workout even sitting down if you had to because of your foot. I mean doing whatever, put some music on and just dance in your chair (nobody is watching, make sure the web cam is off!), I mean anything is good right?
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Linda I think if you look at exercise more as a "just raise your heart rate, do whatever!" way then you could probably get a good workout even sitting down if you had to because of your foot. I mean doing whatever, put some music on and just dance in your chair (nobody is watching, make sure the web cam is off!), I mean anything is good right?
Well, this is just what I've been doing but didn't think it would make much difference, but maybe is will! Thanks for the suggestion and info!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Fun video. He makes it very clear.
Thanks Julie
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Do you HAVE too? NO

SHOULD you? YES

The American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines call for a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic physical activity performed at moderate intensity (60%-80% maximum heart rate), either in one continuous period or in intervals of at least 20-minutes duration on most -- preferably all -- days of the week. This is the amount called for to reduce the risk of coronary disease. It is equivalent to briskly walking at least 1.5 miles per day or raking leaves for half an hour. For weight control, you may need to increase the amount of time you exercise to burn more calories.

If you decide to exercise, remember to do something you enjoy, otherwise you won't stick with it. Do it for 21 days. It takes 21 days for something to become a habit. This is one habit you do want to get into!

It's not about PERFECT. It's about EFFORT. And when you implement that effort into your life...EVERY SINGLE DAY, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs. KEEP GOING. Remember why you STARTED.

I have not smoked a cigarette in over 1400 days!
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I've lost all 26 pounds without exercising. So no, exercise isn't required for weight loss. At first I wasn't supposed to (working on healing my exhausted adrenals). Then I didn't have enough motivation or energy to. In Jan I started adding some exercise in, and it made me hungry! LOL

I like the zwow vid (although a slightly larger top would be helpful, lol). Might try to do some of that. I do like to walk, but don't really have a place to. Which is odd considering we live on 120 acres. But for most of that walking, you need boots, not tennis shoes, and there's a lot of stopping to open gates. The road in front of our house is a 55 mph highway, so no walking there. Our drive is almost 1/4 mile long, but it gets boring just going up and down that. (I have lots of excuses, lol).

I know it's good for you, I just can't seem to muster up the will to do it on any kind of a consistent basis.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*threadjack*
Beeb, does your foot prob happen to be plantar fasciitis?
I had it very badly a couple years ago and after months of suffering, taping my feet, using heel cups, etc, a $30 pair of shoes "healed" me in 2 weeks! Let me know if you want info.

Also, I'm in love with kettlebells & you can do some amazing exercises in a chair or on the floor. If you can tolerate standing in one place for 5-10 minutes, you can even get a cardio workout by doing "swings".
*end threadjack *

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-03-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faithful_1
Stats: 225/207 & shrinking/160?
WOE: JUDDD/Mod Carb
Start Date: Jan. 6, 2006. Re-start Jan. 2012
I suppose you dont have to, but for me, I feel better after exercising. I work the CURVES circuit 3 times a week and it has changed my body. Love it, and it seems to curb my hunger. To each his own, but for me it has helped!
Faithful_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
*threadjack*
Beeb, does your foot prob happen to be plantar fasciitis?
I had it very badly a couple years ago and after months of suffering, taping my feet, using heel cups, etc, a $30 pair of shoes "healed" me in 2 weeks! Let me know if you want info.

Also, I'm in love with kettlebells & you can do some amazing exercises in a chair or on the floor. If you can tolerate standing in one place for 5-10 minutes, you can even get a cardio workout by doing "swings".
*end threadjack *
PJ I would love the info on the shoes!
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Quote:
I LOVE THIS! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing! Very creative!
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I wish I could exercise! I miss my walking (have a BAD foot issue and no money/health insurance to help it) and my biking is limited because of the weather right now. I do feel better when I do something during the day but what is a person to do with limited mobility or time?
I have worked in nursing homes on and off for years. Recently with the Wii. We have residents confined to wheelchairs, that we have bowl or play other Wii sports. They raise thier heartbeats and never had to stand!!! The docs have encouraged this and the residents have fun! One lady where my mom works started a Wii bowling league!!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel7298 View Post
PJ I would love the info on the shoes!
They're called rocker-sole shoes. There are many expensive brands...I got "Therashoes" at KMart.

They take the stress off your feet because there's no heel strike, so no "new" pain with every step, AND they stretch the fascia, so the "old" pain started to diminish immediately...the more I wore them, the better I felt! Oh, AND they fixed my creaky, miserable back!

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-03-2012 at 07:00 PM..