Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeeMT
Start Date: April 4, 2012
Question about JUDDD calorie calculator

OK, I understand the ud/dd concept. And, that 500 cal. is a good starting point for the down day. But what about the JUDDD calculator, to determine your up day calories: Should you input your current weight in the calculator to determine your numbers? Or do you enter your DESIRED weight? I'm confused about this.
Can someone answer?

Also, I notice a lot of folks do keep track of their up day calories. I have been on Dr. Johnson's website, and it seems to say "just eat normally" on your up days. Any people here here who don't track their calories on their up days?

Thanks!
LeeMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
You enter your CURRENT weight in the calculator.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
I'm not tracking my UD calories (yet). My scale is bouncing all over the place (see My Bouncing Ball Stairway Chart), but I am on a downward trend. If that stops or begins going up, I'll have to keep track of UD (but I do NOT want to!).

I've not seen this addressed yet, but what's the consensus on when to readjust your calories? When I first did JUDDD, it was every 10 lbs. lost or so. What say the experts??

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 04-02-2012 at 10:34 AM..
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I track my UD calories so I will know what they are. I was doing high fat LC for a bit and certainly didn't realize how high my calories were. Since Dr. J recommends lean meats and whole grains and veggies the calorie count for "normal" would be lower than what I could pack away on a high fat diet.
Just the way I am approaching the plan.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
Since my calories allotted was so high, i decided to break down my weight goals into 4 like every 25 pounds. and in put goal weight one.
HOWEVER others will SURELY tell you to get as many calories as you should be getting.
specially smaller people dont get as many calories
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
thanks for the welcome.
If I use my current weight in the calculator, my up-day numbers seem way too high, over 3000. Wouldn't it be better to use the numbers based on my goal weight?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Depends. Are you close to goal? If you are only trying to lose a few pounds that could work. If you have a lot to lose probably not a good idea.
Be sure you change the height and weight to in and lb if in the us. Most people choose little to no exercise unless doing a LOT and I used the 20% figure. Even choosing 25%, 30% etc. only the DD numbers change.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I'm not tracking my UD calories (yet).

I've not seen this addressed yet, but what's the consensus on when to readjust your calories? When I first did JUDDD, it was every 10 lbs. lost or so. What say the experts??
I was sure surprised when I checked my UD calories when I started. I could not believe I was eating that many calories. Just as a reference you might consider tracking one day just to be sure you aren't going WAY over every day.

And I have lost 16 pounds but haven't adjusted my calories yet. I am going to wait until I quit losing since what I am doing now is working although slowly. That would be an individual decision I suppose. I sure don't want to eat less if I don't have to.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
thanks for the welcome.
If I use my current weight in the calculator, my up-day numbers seem way too high, over 3000. Wouldn't it be better to use the numbers based on my goal weight?
3000 calories would be a very great deal unless you have a very great amount to lose. You don't have your weight, size, age, etc. listed in your stats, so I don't know whether 3000 calories is accurate for you or not.

So just to be careful here, are you certain that you clicked the inches and pounds buttons for your calculations, rather than the cm and kg buttons? Big difference. That calculator gives us both options, but you have to input correctly.

And to answer your question, the Up Day number that we are given on the JUDDD Calorie Calculator is labeled as our *Normal* calorie number. So when we eat normally, we expect to eat at about that number.

As to counting calories on your UDs, some do and some don't. The argument for not counting is that it's a hassle, and many can lose weight just fine without counting, at least initially. The truth is, most of us are lazy enough that if we don't have to, we don't want to.

The argument for actually measuring out your foods and counting up the calories on your UDs as well as your DDs is: You won't be inclined to overeat your calorie number. You won't undereat your calorie number much either, which we sort of hate to do very often as that big number, and the big spread between our high and low days seems to nudge our metabolisms into functioning at a bit better rate. Too few calories tends to slow down metabolisms, and remember... we're awfully low half of our days!!! So counting calories on Up Days assures we don't eat over or under much... Plus, it helps us sort of train our brain to recognize and guide us toward eating the correct amount of food, just automatically, so that once we're in maintenance, it's easy for us to eat correctly and make maintenance an easy thing to do.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I'm not tracking my UD calories (yet). My scale is bouncing all over the place (see My Bouncing Ball Stairway Chart), but I am on a downward trend. If that stops or begins going up, I'll have to keep track of UD (but I do NOT want to!).

To my way of thinking, there would be absolutely NO reason to lower UD calories unless weight loss was slowing to a crawl. Once it becomes apparent that your UDs are so far over your needed calories, and beyond your body's ability to burn even combined with low DD calories, it would be time to readjust.

Because.. I'm one who feels that the higher we can eat on UDs while still losing weight, and the larger we can keep that spread between high UD calories and low DD calories, the more we stimulate our metabolism. And I want mine to work and burn as effectively as can possibly be. I work to rev it up, rather than to slow it down. JMO
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
To my way of thinking, there would be absolutely NO reason to lower UD calories unless weight loss was slowing to a crawl. Once it becomes apparent that your UDs are so far over your needed calories, and beyond your body's ability to burn even combined with low DD calories, it would be time to readjust.

Because.. I'm one who feels that the higher we can eat on UDs while still losing weight, and the larger we can keep that spread between high UD calories and low DD calories, the more we stimulate our metabolism. And I want mine to work and burn as effectively as can possibly be. I work to rev it up, rather than to slow it down. JMO

I am one who counts on my up days. Why? Because I find I eat way in excess of the up day numbers if I don't. I weigh and measure my foods to be sure. It doesn't take me that long at all. One day, when I get to a maintaining point, I may not count. By then, maybe I will have trained myself enough to judge the calories.

I do not plan to adjust my up day numberuntil weight loss winds down. Then I will look at it. I have found that the greater my percentage between up and down days, the better I lose. So I try to stay close to my up day number and not exceed it.

Good luck

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-02-2012 at 02:18 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I was sure surprised when I checked my UD calories when I started. I could not believe I was eating that many calories. Just as a reference you might consider tracking one day just to be sure you aren't going WAY over every day.

And I have lost 16 pounds but haven't adjusted my calories yet. I am going to wait until I quit losing since what I am doing now is working although slowly. That would be an individual decision I suppose. I sure don't want to eat less if I don't have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

Thanks for your input and thoughts!

I think the SIRT1 is beginning to kick in. Food is slowly becoming a non-issue on both UDs and DDs. Although the scale is doing major league bouncing, it is going down (I posted it in another thread). I will, indeed, track my UD calories if it begins flatlining or going upward.

Good thought on when to readjust, too.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
this is really interesting

I'm into counting and posting my food as much as possible (i use *********). UD and DD, b/c that's what I was doing on straight LC, so why change what I see, for me, as a good habit?

re: the calculator, I'm putting in my current weight. As that goes down the UD and DD numbers will adjust, and those will be my new targets.

just for reference, I put in that I'm 66 inches, 254 pounds, 0 exercise and I get about 2200 calories for the UD and 480 or so for the DD-- I'm sticking to 500 for now, and when I lose more weight, I'll adjust my DD number down from 500, maybe.

but for UD, I think calories matter, and I am going to keep my eye on that number-- I won't be able to eat 2200 forever, and frankly, most days, even before JUDDD, I was trying to stick to around 1700 in my own version of calorie restriction while on LC. It was working, slowly, which is what led me to JUDDD.

Soren, JUDDD newbie of 2 days

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I read Dr. Johnson's book this weekend, and was surprised to learn that he does not suggest counting calories on UP days unless one is having trouble losing weight, and may be overeating. The calculator on his website shows that I can have up to 1870 calories on UD's and sometimes it's a struggle for me to reach that number. I have very little trouble sticking to the low calorie count on DD's.

if I stop losing (or worse, start gaining), I'll track my calories on UD's to see if that helps, but for now I'm just going to eat to satisfaction on those days and not worry about it.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I think:

a) When weight loss AND inches lost stalls or really slows down it is time to recalculate.

b) It is important the UD calories are high enough to take you out of caloric stress response (turn off the progression into the dreaded starvation mode). It appears Dr J calculates that at BMR + 200 extra calories. Reading I have done makes it clear how many calories it takes to convince a body that the famine is over is very much unique to each individual metabolism.

I count my UD calories because if I don't I will either severely under-eat on UD and stall myself, or eat far enough over that I bounce up higher than I want to. NP, the bounce goes away. But I lose fastest if I count UD cals.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

But you shouldn't overeat on UD's, and you don't have to eat all the calories either (per the book's FAQs-- that was a great section). I never eat my 2200, though today I'm going for dinner so I have the feeling the set menu will take me to that number at least.

I think the only way to know what you normally do is to check, at least for a day or 2, just so you have an idea, no?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
But you shouldn't overeat on UD's, and you don't have to eat all the calories either (per the book's FAQs-- that was a great section). I never eat my 2200, though today I'm going for dinner so I have the feeling the set menu will take me to that number at least.

I think the only way to know what you normally do is to check, at least for a day or 2, just so you have an idea, no?

you dont have to eat the calories?
i thought you should get to your number as close as possible.
i was wondering how i read on his site that you shouldnt over eat
but at the same time come close to your UD amount.
which means a lot of us have to "over eat" and i mean eat over full.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bookmarked the page-- I'll check in a few minutes and report back with the quote, but I believe that's what it says.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
you dont have to eat the calories?
i thought you should get to your number as close as possible.
i was wondering how i read on his site that you shouldnt over eat
but at the same time come close to your UD amount.
which means a lot of us have to "over eat" and i mean eat over full.
The larger you are above your ideal weight, the more your *Normal* calorie number as figured by the JUDDD Calorie Calculator is going to be covering a lot of excess body fat, in addition to providing the needed calories for your slim *true body* within.

If you are quite, quite overweight, I think it is less important to try to get in a goodly chunk of the calculated calories. But the closer you come to your ideal weight, the more each calorie is really working for you nutritionally and metabolically.

Skimp on your UD calories if you are very overweight and you should still lose weight just fine and not slow any metabolism down, even on the Up Days. But Skimp on your UD calories if you are not all that much way-way over your goal and it's more likely to slow your weight loss, or slow your overall metabolic rate, or both. JMO
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

gotcha, so i should be doing good by doing
180 dd's (my 20% is like 740)
and my ud's at 3500 (not 4700)

i dont mind obviously but as with any weight loss efforts i just want to make sure im doing the best way possible to start. of course this WOE can always use a tweak but for my first few weeks at least i want to do everything i can.
its amazing what you can get for your calories sometimes but then have one mcdonalds shake and your are in serious trouble lol
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

still confused.

ok, I started this thread with a question about what calorie level to start at.
I didn't want to post my starting weight bcz I was too embarrassed, but now I need to, so I can get some advice. Using the calculator on the Dr.'s website:

Current weight is 320 pounds, 65" height, 56 years, male, little or no exercise, restriction 20%. So, my numbers are 3016/603. This seems awfully high to get good weight loss results. I've just started.

When I input my goal or "desired" weight, 180 pounds I get these numbers:

1966/393. So, should i use the first calculations? or the second set? Please advice anyone!!
Regardless of the Down Day number, I am keeping it at 500, as advised by Dr. Johnson.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

You are male so it is always higher. If you were female with those stats your numbers would be 502/2508. Men can always eat more. According to Dr. J's book, the main thing is the DD and the gap between DD and UD. That is why everyone is urged to eat up to their UD calories. If you try to lower the UD too much the spread between them isn't enough to cause the weight loss and to keep the body confused and to increase the metabolism. Normal thinking is to lower the UP if you see a drop following your DD. Oh goodie. I lost 2 pounds eating 500 calories so if I eat 1000 on my UD I should lose faster. This doesn't work with this plan.

Now I am losing slowly and I only had 35 pounds to lose in the first place. It has taken me 3 months to lose 16 pounds but then I will admit I have gone over on UD's many times but I still keep losing. I NEVER go over 500 on DD's though. Hey I just realized I am getting close to 50% of my excess weight gone. Sorry. Back to the question at hand.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

thanks, but again, not answering my question. I need to know which set of figures i should use. Those based on my current weight, or those based on what I WANT to weigh.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
current.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

as they said, current. i didnt mean to go around the question earlier.
i thought the same thing about being to many calories.
im at 4700 per day allowed! seems like to much.

but for yours being 3600 for 2 days, thats only 1800 per day.
which is a healthy diet amount =)
sometimes i think its easier to think of it that way even though its not the exact way its working.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post

Sorry. Your question was answered in the first response to your question so I did not answer it again cause she was right.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
as they said, current. i didnt mean to go around the question earlier.
i thought the same thing about being to many calories.
im at 4700 per day allowed! seems like to much.

but for yours being 3600 for 2 days, thats only 1800 per day.
which is a healthy diet amount =)
sometimes i think its easier to think of it that way even though its not the exact way its working.
Well, for me it would average out to more than 1800, as I'm not doing zero calories on my down day. The 3600 figure that the calculator gave seems to be what I am eating to maintain my present weight, so cycling between 3600 and 500 seems too high and I won't get good results. Guess I'll see what happens.

I knew some were saying to use your current weight in the calculations, but I was hoping someone could explain why this is. It just seemed better sense to enter your goal weigh instead. Thanks all.

Last edited by LeeMT; 04-02-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
Well, for me it would average out to more than 1800, as I'm not doing zero calories on my down day. The 3600 figure that the calculator gave seems to be what I am eating to maintain my present weight, so cycling between 3600 and 500 seems too high and I won't get good results. Guess I'll see what happens.

I knew some were saying to use your current weight in the calculations, but I was hoping someone could explain why this is. It just seemed better sense to enter your goal weigh instead. Thanks all.
Hi, Lee!

OK, based on your current weight (suggested best place to start) you are calculated for 603 calories on DDs and 3016 calorie UDs, as you already stated. So just say 600 & 3000.

And you have a lot to lose, but there are many here, both men and women, who could match you for weight and surpass you, so don't worry about that. This is just where you're starting. You won't be there long!!!!!

So, you use that current weight and do your DDs of 600 or so calories... and if you can do 500 calories, that's great too. Even total fasting is fine on Down Days. So if you can stick to 600 to start with, you'll be off to a fabulous start on your DDs.

If it were me, I'd go for my 3000 calories on my UDs. If you can't eat that high, you certainly don't have to force it to the point where you feel like you're going to throw up... You know, at some point enough is enough, but I will say this:

Being male, you burn more just breathing than females do. With all other stats being the same except for the sex, if you were female, your UD calories would come in at 2508. So about 2500 calories female is equivalent to 3000 calories male. And as an almost 69-year-old female of 5'-3" and not much exercise, I can and do eat that on some of my Up Days!

So. I think you should go with 3000 or so, and 500-600 or so, and just get started. Hope you will report in on a really, really, really regular basis, so if it's working, we'll know the numbers are right, and if it is taking a week or two to kick in and you're not getting any weight loss yet, we can sift through all the possible causes besides the calorie numbers that might also be coming into play. And tweak calorie numbers of necessary.

By doing 600 + 3000, you are averaging 1800 a day, and that works well for lots of guys. Let's see how it works for you as a place to start.

This is going to work for you. Hang in there. Even by the time summer starts you will have lost enough weight to be feeling extremely excited about this way of eating and what it is going to be able to do for you. I'm pretty sure of that.

Last edited by SoHappy; 04-02-2012 at 07:18 PM..
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

ive read the site ...probably 4 times.
and the details arent there, thats why there is a book i guess LOL
but the people here are great and helpful.
i THINK those calories are the MAX. again, the site is just an outline.
it does seem high. try eating 4700! specially when you're some how in an odd way not that hungry. try it out and give it two weeks to see then adjust.
one thing i have read and believe is that your dd's should be as low as possible to kick off. so if after 2weeks, lower your ud perhaps (if needed)
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes there is a book. On page 77, "On the down days of the Alternate-Day Diet, you will start by eating approximately 20% of the calories you require to maintain your weight." In the book he then gives you the mathematical formula to figure all of this out. On the website it is the calculator where you just enter your height, age and weight and choose the %. He also says there is a standard deviation of 14 % above and below that number . "Consuming 100 calories more or less on your DD will not change your results." page 82.
Later on pge 140 about UD calories. "It is critically important, however, that you not feel deprived; otherwise the Alternate Day Diet would be nothing more than another daily dieting program. The goal is to eat whatever you want until you're satisfied, but not to overeat."
He said he came up with the 500 calorie DD number for induction based on the average overweight woman. Sorry men.
Page 244 in the Q&A section. "How much should I eat on my UD?
The point of the diet is to reduce stress and diet ftigue and increase freedom from the anxiety of restricting every day so that you are more likely to adhere to the diet over time.......You absolutely do not hve to consume all the calories estimated for your UD's. There is no specific calorie requirement for the up day.......The most important principle of the Alternate Day Diet is to keep your down day calories as low as practical while maintaining the up day, down day pattern over the long term."

Hope these quotes help you.