Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Soren's first DD: from plan to reality

Ok-- so it's 12:30am, and I'm freaking out about DD (see my other posts about previous bad experiences with low calorie/deprivation).

But I'm trying to take the route the my mild OCD leads me to-- planning and lists! (I swear, I could conquer the world given enough note paper).

So, I went into *********, switched it to tomorrow, and this is my first DD plan:

B: I'm planning on sleeping through breakfast
water, maybe caffeine free iced tea. I just don't do well on caffeine, but I know it's allowed. Makes me jittery later in the day...

L: I'll have a protein shake. 160 calories. Maybe thin it out with water and it will be more filling?
--take my vitamins. can't do this on an empty stomach, causes

water-- maybe a celery stick-- just thought of this.

D: 1 slice of my super flax LC bread (100cal, very dense) and 1 large egg, scrambled

s: I always get hungry after dinner, so I'll have my other shake later-- the chocolate will make me feel better I"m sure.

water and nighttime vitamins.

Without the celery, I was at 494 with this plan. I was going to use a shot of pam with the egg scramble.

I feel a bit better with a battle plan going in.

I'm also going to see a movie, do some laundry, and maybe resurrect a needlepoint project I haven't looked at in 5 yrs.

there could also be a bubble bath, and going to bed WAY early.

I'll check in tomorrow to comment on how things are going.

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Ok-- so it's 12:30am, and I'm freaking out about DD (see my other posts about previous bad experiences with low calorie/deprivation).

But I'm trying to take the route the my mild OCD leads me to-- planning and lists! (I swear, I could conquer the world given enough note paper).

I know it's hard, but please don't put a lot of pressure on yourself about your DD. Mentally allow yourself to go way up in calories if you need it. Then even if you don't use them, you know they are there and somehow this really helps take the pressure off. But if you need those extra calories - use them! In the long run, it will not hurt your weight loss to eat a few hundred more. You can always lower the calories over time as you get used to JUDDD, and as the appetite suppression kicks in (for some it takes 2 or 3 weeks or more to really get going). I think my first DD was like, 850 calories, lol. But I got it under control the more I went along and I lost weight. You will too.

So, I went into *********, switched it to tomorrow, and this is my first DD plan:

B: I'm planning on sleeping through breakfast
water, maybe caffeine free iced tea. I just don't do well on caffeine, but I know it's allowed. Makes me jittery later in the day...

L: I'll have a protein shake. 160 calories. Maybe thin it out with water and it will be more filling?

If you want to do shakes, that's fine. Do you have any straws you can sip it through? My problem with shakes is I want to gulp them down in like, 30 seconds. A straw might help you sip it slower over time. Just a suggestion.

--take my vitamins. can't do this on an empty stomach, causes

water-- maybe a celery stick-- just thought of this.

Eat lots of celery, not just a stick of it, if you want. Celery is uber low in calories. You can munch on broccoli, cauliflower, and other low cal veggies too.

D: 1 slice of my super flax LC bread (100cal, very dense) and 1 large egg, scrambled

Sounds good. You can also do egg whites scrambled with onion, green pepper, mushroom, bits of bacon or sausage, etc. Egg whites are something like 15 calories each, so you can fit in more protein for less calories. But it's perfectly fine to do whole eggs too. It's your choice.

s: I always get hungry after dinner, so I'll have my other shake later-- the chocolate will make me feel better I"m sure.

water and nighttime vitamins.

Also check out our DD recipe threads and "low-ish carb DD staples" for more filling ideas for low calories, if you need something more.

Without the celery, I was at 494 with this plan. I was going to use a shot of pam with the egg scramble.

Remember, you are welcome to go up to 800 calories or more if you need them tomorrow. Don't stress over an exact number.

I feel a bit better with a battle plan going in.

Yes! You're doing the smartest thing ever by going in with a plan! Logging your calories ahead of time and deciding what you want to fit into the DD! (and doing this for UDs too)

I'm also going to see a movie, do some laundry, and maybe resurrect a needlepoint project I haven't looked at in 5 yrs.

there could also be a bubble bath, and going to bed WAY early.

Very great ideas to keep busy with non-food activities on DD until you get used to things. Sipping hot drinks helps a lot of us out - things like coffee, tea, broth, sf hot chocolate, or cold drinks like iced tea, diet soda, etc. Treat yourself well.

I'll check in tomorrow to comment on how things are going.

Soren

I hope it goes well for you, Soren. Go easy on yourself. Ease into this if you need to. You're on the right track to weight loss and feeling good!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Soren, I understand the need for a plan. I like a plan. I like lists. I have lists of lists I need to make, lol. It took me a long while to get to where DDs are comfortable. I do best if I start out the day with a two-egg shake and coffee. Gluccomannon caps help with mid-day hunger. Another egg if needed, and more coffee in the afternoon. And a nice meat/veg dinner with the family. I try, specifically, not to obsess about food on DDs. It's a semi-fast and fasts are meant to be a break for body and mind. Try to think about DDs that way. As a break.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
sugar free jello?
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
WOE: Atkins
Planning is excellent. On my Down Days I pretty much fast until dinner, but at the start I would cut up an entire bunch of celery and have it available for snacking. I also drink decaf coffee through the day with a bit of low fat milk and DaVinci syrup if I feel like I need the taste. On a bad day, the Miracle Noodles help me too... and of course I've learned to love cabbage (well, the Savoy one anyway).

Even from the start my Friday down days have been 650-750 calories rather than 500. When you start off with over 300 calories for a half bottle of wine it just doesn't leave a lot for food... and that was my biggest hesitation about JUDDD since dh is not keen on anything that changes the household wine habits (LOL). I'm learning that it still works even without a strict 500 down day. I use quilting to keep my hands busy so I can't eat. The needlepoint is a great idea!

I hope it goes well, and would just echo Sophie's excellent advice to ease into the down days.
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Soren!

What everyone said.

Let us know how today goes!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PixieKGirl
Stats: 163/152/136
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 3/26/12
I was actually kind of "panicky" on my 1st DD and figured I cave. Did ok - felt kind of stressed out all day. By Friday, my 3rd DD - it was SUPER easy (mentally). I still feel hungry but it comes and goes and now I just feel peaceful/serene and in control.
PixieKGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Wishing you luck+++++++ Lots of good advice already given so I'll just say ditto.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Welcome Soren and good luck to you! I'm still a newbie and only have 3 dd's under my belt, but as you can see, I survived. It does get a little easier each time, I believe, and now I kind of look forward to them.

And a big plus is that you'll have more time on your hands to make more lists!
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: northandcold23
Stats: 134/117/112
Great job planning it out!
My first DD I ate 650 calories. I just felt like I needed it. Ever since then it has been easy and I have stuck to 500 or under.

You will do great!
northandcold23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
We all have to find the foods that make us feel the most comfortable on DDs, and that usually equates to *not hungry*... and I would be famished on your plan on a DD.

Instead of just a protein shake and a celery stick for lunch, I'd have a huge, huge salad with lettuce & spinach & mixed spring greens, slices of green pepper and cucumber and tomato, piles of sliced fresh mushrooms, a bit of boneless/skinless chicken breast, Kraft fat free Italian dressing, and a teaspoonful of olive oil mixed into it. And a great big glass of sparkling iced tea made with a green tea bag and a black tea bag, so a blend of both. You can have a huge lunch for that 160 calories that's in a little canned shake.

I know you will get this all figured out in the way that makes the Down Days not just easy to do, but absolutely comfortable and enjoyable. 'Cause they are going to be half of your days.. half of your life. You don't want to have to suffer needlessly. You know? Fill your DDs with food, and make it nutrient dense food! Since they are now half of your life, don't skimp on your nutrition on those days. That won't stand your health in good stead in the long run. If you are a little scant in protein on DDs, you can certainly more than make up for it on the next UD, for example, but it's hard to make up for everything, every time, in just that single following UD, so make sure you do pay attention to everything. (Not that shakes aren't nutritious. They are. But you sure don't get much *food* with them. LOL)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #12

Also, I was going to mention that although we tell folks that they can eat more calories on their DDs if they have to.... I mean, that's better than just folding and quitting.... it's still best to do your low DD calories right from the start if you can. I figure you already know that, but just thought I'd mention it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I'm a JUDDD newbie, too, but I do want to say that it gets easier as you have more DD under your belt!

I'm sure you've read tons of posts about how different people handle their DD. I'm still experimenting, as I thought it would be best to hold out eating as long as possible, but now I realize that I need protein first thing in the morning to keep my headaches at bay. So my point is that it's never easy for anyone right off the bat, as we're all different and you need to figure out what is right for your body. But, a little pain in the beginning is worth it.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You guys are so awesome!

It's 3:40pm, and here's where we're at so far--

6am: woke up, stomach growled-- I peed and went back to bed
9am: woke up, smelled DH's bacon... tried to go back to bed
10am: got up, made a big glass of water mixed with crystal lite pink grapefruit flavor.
12pm: went to see Hunger Games. Irony?
had a can of diet gingerale, and a stick of chocolate-mint gum.
2pm: went food shopping. Bought lettuce, radishes, kale, grape tomatoes, mini cucumbers, 0 calorie 0 carb salad dressings (!), low fat mayo, antipasti italian eggplant (in a jar)... managed to stay away from the deli and the cheese counter for now.
3:30pm: HAD MY FIRST FOOD!
2 eggs scrambled, some steak spice on it (I make my own ) and used Pam to cook them.

Plan for dinner-- based on ya'lls feedback, I'm going to go with real food-- 4c of romaine, 3oz of roast turkey, and some of my new salad dressing. Maybe some extra grated parm on that?

Post dinner-- I still can have a shake before bed-- after dinner/before bed is a HUGE issue for me, so I want to plan for that.

DH is being very helpful and supportive-- he doesn't want me obsessing-- I think I need to move *through* this fear of being hungry, and get through this day, which isn't horrible.

I do have a 6hr drive from TOronto to Montreal on Thursday, which is a DD-- so I"ll start thinking about how to get through that-- maybe by my third DD I won't feel so out of it?

Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments-- this is as scary as when I started LC for the first time!

Soren
Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I used to feel really spacey on down days too. It honestly took about 7 weeks before I felt just as normal on down days as I do on up days. I know what you mean about long drives, too, and not wanting that feeling. It's just unsettling and plain unsafe to be speeding along on the highway unable to focus and concentrate. I would suggest you keep some small low cal/high protein (and low sugar) snacks to eat every hour or so. Hardboiled eggs, turkey pepperoni, low carb yogurt, that kind of thing. Even if you get to the other side of your drive having gone over your cals a bit, at least you arrive alive and not unduly stressed out. JUDDD will forgive you on your next down day.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #16

My Gosh, you are doing a great job on your first DD. Way to go!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Pat and everyone, again, for the support!

Here's my end of day summary:

it's 9:43pm-- I'll probably be up for another couple of hours, I tend to go to bed late, but I'll try not to stay up past midnight (maybe take some melatonin to help).

Dinner went as planned, though I wound up trying the fresh radish greens in addition to some romaine.

I'll just say this now-- go ahead and throw out your fresh radish greens in the future. It's ok, you're not missing anything
(they weren't awful, they just weren't great).

Anyway-- I got my salad with turkey down, with the sort of weird fat-free, sugar-free, calorie-free dressing I found. The caesar flavor could've been blue cheese, it was a bit weird.

And my "extra" 25 calories? I discovered that 12 grape tomatoes are EXACTLY 25 calories couldn't be happier.

Around 8;30 or so, I had my shake-- whoever said they chug it down in less than 30 seconds was right-- and that was WITH a straw.

Then I had another piece of gum.

Then I had to remove a splinter from DH's toe, b/c apparently he's actually a 7yr old boy
(the skin had already grown over it... sigh).

And now, I'm about where I am every night. Not really hungry ( YAY ) and knowing that I can't eat any more today.

So, Day 1 DD - two thumbs up.

things I've learned:
  • the shake is nice for a sweet treat, but maybe I can do better in terms of volume/fullness, for the calorie content? Maybe whey protein and chia pudding or something
  • I think I have to eat something earlier than 3:30pm.
    Will investigate eggwhites (save the yolks for hollandaise sauce?) I do have some frozen eggwhites in a carton, I assume that's what people use actually (b/c that would be a whole lotta hollandaise goin on!)
  • I like some fat on my salad-- plus, a lot of nutrients are fat soluble, so you kind of need some.
  • Eggs cooked in PAM are tolerable-- and my homemade steak spice ground onto them ROCKS
Given the amount of liquid I'm, um, expelling I think I might weigh tomorrow, just to see... The book says only weigh on the morning after a down day, and I know it's not a week gone by at all, but I'm usually a daily weigher-- so going to ever other day is a good thing for me!

Can't be said enough-- thanks folks for your support as I experiment with this WOE!
Soren

eta: did I mention my stats per *********?

500 cal
10g net carbs
%'s
14% carb
31% fat
55% protein.

not sure what the %'s are supposed to look like, since you're allowed to eat whatever you want, and the Dr. advises toward complex carbs and lean proteins-- but those look ok to me

Last edited by sorenkkg; 04-01-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
YAY, Soren! You made it through your first DD and you did great!! I'm a newbie, too, but already know it does get easier! You'll do just fine on JUDDD, I just know it.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Wow! You did GREAT!!! Enjoy your UD tomorrow. I know you will. I also am a daily weigher. It's good for me. So much better now that I'm charting it. You should take some time to look at the Daily Weigh In thread for March. It's so great to get used to the fact that the scale will bounce.

After my first DD I lost -4.6 pounds!!! Of course, after my first UD I was up +4.4 pounds!!!!! I certainly can laugh about it now because I love JUDD and it broke my LC stall and is working for me. I love it. and I love this WOE!!!

I posted my March numbers daily chart on a thread called, "My Bouncing Ball Stairway Chart." If you type that into the "Search this forum" link in the upper right hand corner of the JUDD forum page, you will see some awesome charts.

Keep us posted tomorrow! We are soooooooo excited and happy for you!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Well done, Soren! Rest well and enjoy that UD!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

So, I weighed today-- 4 pounds down from 2 days ago.

I'm beside myself ( ) and I really hate to think that it will bounce back up that much , but I guess that could happen.

Can I just take this loss, even if it's water weight, as a win?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Fantastic, Soren!! You are doing wonderfully!

Take it as a win, but also refuse to be demoralized by any bounces!!!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)

You will bounce around a bit as your body adjusts to the new woe. But, consider that weight your new low and expect to bounce happily down into the future.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Joyce (is that your corgi? they are soooo cute!) and Nancy!

I promise NOT to weigh until Wednesday-- so after my next DD.

Which, in full OCD mode last night, I totally planned in ********* Including breakfast this time... gotta figure it out before I drive on Thursday...
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
It's a WIN! Take it!!

So happy for you!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WildIrishRose
Stats: 271.5/250.5/140
Start Date: 1/10/10 - again...
Great Job Soren!!!

The DD's do get easier, now I actually like them better as there is less planning!
WildIrishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Way to go! You might bounce from that weight, but you'll see it again. I need to see a new low 3-4 times before I own it, and it isn't long until I don't go above it anymore.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Soren.....ENJOY YOUR WALK ON THE CLOUDS TODAY!!!!!.....

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Thank you! Yes, that's my corgi Buttercup, for whom each day is an up day.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
GOOD JOB on your first DD! You did great!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote