Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Silica supplementation (diatomaceous earth)

Hey everybody! I just wanted to share this awesomeness with my BUDDDS
(no medical advice intended!):

A few years ago, I bought diatomaceous earth (DE) to combat a flea problem in my house. As I researched it, I found that many people take it (internally).

I started taking it and within a few days noticed my hair didn't fall out *at all* when I brushed or washed it. Like, I'd only find 2-5 strands! I have pretty long hair--every strand is noticeable! lol

I hadn't been consistent with it, and was experiencing hair loss again before I started JUDDD. One of the happy side effects of J., for me, was less hair loss.

During my recent hiatus from J., the hair loss returned, so I started taking DE again.

Within a day or two, I noticed:

** my heart rate slowed about 15-20 bpm, resting as well as during exercise; also less "racing" at night or during exertion like climbing stairs
(I don't get out if breath easily but my heart rate has seemed too fast the last couple years)

** reduced intestinal cramping from my medication (metformin and/or Lovaza, not sure which was the problem--
have quit taking both, for now)

**reduced menstrual cramping (TOM arrived about a week after I started DE)

**improved bladder control
(this is something I don't often talk about, but it had been getting rather bad the last two years or so)
I read that magnesium can be helpful for this, and when I started taking it about 2-3 months ago, it did help; I would say I had about an 80% improvement. But adding the DE has taken it to about a 99% improvement! (Still can't sneeze when I'm sitting cross-legged on the floor--moms, you know what I'm talking about, right? / )

**NO insomnia!
This was part of the reason for my hiatus from JUDDD/IFing. Doing the Leptin Reset, as well as having my computer crash (lol), helped with this issue a lot. But I get very sleepy within an hour or two of taking the DE, so I don't have to fuss with other factors as much. Controlling my insomnia is one of the main reasons I have been able to get back to JUDDDing.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-31-2012 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: tablet shuts off unexpectedly : /
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Other observed possible benefits:

**Lower triglycerides.
I was prescribed Lovaza several months ago, but subsequent labs showed little/no improvent. I know triglycerides can be elevated during weight loss, so I haven't been overly concerned. I happened to get bloodwork done about a week after starting DE, and my trigs were down from 178 to 121. Might not have been the DE...but, maybe...

** Lower blood pressure
I recently got a home bp meter, but it was after I started taking DE, so I can't be sure what my readings would have been on *this* meter before. However, they were definitely rather high. For example, 170/95 on the machine at the pharmacy (3 weeks ago). My home machine is showing a 132/85 average for the last 2-1/2 weeks.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I hope you will continue to report on this as the weeks and months pass. Well, if you continue to eat this. Very interesting.

I do few supplements at all other than Vitamin D3 and fish oil caps, and an occasional multi-vitamin or calcium tab.

But I do eat an enormous variety of vegetables & fruits & seeds/nuts/grains, etc. along with my meats, etc. Perhaps that all is giving me most of the things I need.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A couple weeks ago I ran out of the DE I had first bought a few years ago (I think it was 10lbs for $12!), so I started taking some that my neighbor shared with me. It was darker, a little grittier, and had a stronger (not horrible) flavor than the first one, so I ordered a different one from Amazon. Within a couple days, my heart rate & blood pressure were going back up (other problems, like bladder & insomnia, did not return). Found out the "darker" brand has calcium bentonite added--so maybe that is helping my heart/bp more than, or in conjunction with, the DE.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #5

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
A couple weeks ago I ran out of the DE I had first bought a few years ago (I think it was 10lbs for $12!), so I started taking some that my neighbor shared with me. It was darker, a little grittier, and had a stronger (not horrible) flavor than the first one, so I ordered a different one from Amazon. Within a couple days, my heart rate & blood pressure were going back up (other problems, like bladder & insomnia, did not return). Found out the "darker" brand has calcium bentonite added--so maybe that is helping my heart/bp more than, or in conjunction with, the DE.
I guess I didn't even realize that there were different 'blends' of this stuff. It'll be interesting to see what all you notice about your usage and the product.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oops, I forgot to explain--
DE is typically over 90% silica. Some people may be more comfortable trying a silica supplent from a trusted vitamin company...but DE has many other uses and is thousands of times cheaper!

IMPORTANT WARNING:
There is a heat-treated type of DE used in pool filters. This is not safe for ingestion!!!! Nor should it be used around pets for pest control, etc.

Most DE is "food grade"; it is added to virtually all dried/stored grain in the US (as a non-toxic pesticide), so we have probably been eating a little bit of it all our lives!

An online friend of mine also started taking DE a couple years ago for her hair. After about a week, she realised she hadn't used her asthma inhaler in days! IIRC, she previously needed it twice a day & she was also able to reduce/stop other medication.

She started having her husband take it for his hair, too, and suddenly all the "age spots" or "liver spots" on his hands just FLAKED OFF like dry skin! This has happened for a few other people I know of, too!

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-31-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
So which brand /product are you using specifically for those of us who would like to try? How much are you taking and what time of day, any other specifications?
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I guess I didn't even realize that there were different 'blends' of this stuff. It'll be interesting to see what all you notice about your usage and the product.
There is DE that is packaged for insect control (in gardens, stored grain, etc) and this seems to be 100% DE. Then there is DE intended to mixed in with animal feed (as a supplement, antiparasitic, etc), and this may have the calcium bentonite added.

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-31-2012 at 07:57 AM..
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
So which brand /product are you using specifically for those of us who would like to try? How much are you taking and what time of day, any other specifications?
Perma Guard is the most common brand out there. Many companies seem to be selling re-packaged Perma Guard.

The one I bought from Amazon is called "Pure Earth D". It is fine in texture, light-colored and easy to take. It would probably help with most of the issues I mentioned.

The darker DE, with the calcium bentonite added & which seems to be more effective for my heart rate/bp issues, is a brand called "Red Lake Earth". There may be other brands with this blend but I found it online pretty easily as well as at my local feed store.

If trying for the first time, you should probably start off with 1/2 tsp once a day in case of possible detox or parasite die-off effects.

Some people say it gives them energy; I find it makes me sleepy. So you may want to try it on a weekend afternoon when you could go for a walk OR take a nap, depending on how it affects you!

I currently take a tbsp or two around 9pm, and am usually fast asleep by 10 or 11!

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-31-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, my...I've spent almost 3 hours on this...forgot about breakfast...ON AN UP DAY!!!

That's how much I love my JUDDD BUDDDs!

And I totally forgot to mention my ear thing! Will try to get to that later, for Carmiel.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Woo hoo...

I started taking this last May. My nutritionist told me to take it to detox for parasites and yeast, other fungi and bacteria in my system.

Mine is 84% Silicon Dioxide (Silica). I was having problems with mineral absorption and this has a direct relationship to mineral absorption. It has finally normalized my bowels. I get mine from More Than Alive.

You should see my finger nails. They are gorgeous! It has also definitely improved my skin. I take a Tablespoon a day mixed in water at bed time, but like PJ said, you should start with smaller doses due to the detox effect.

My GD lives overseas and they use it there for beauty treatments. She brushes her teeth with it~

Getting the food grade powder is very important.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I think I've read/intuited that it enhances utilization of other minerals. For example, maybe the reason it helps me sleep is because it's boosting calcium absorption. And the magnesium I'm taking for my bladder; maybe it's boosting that, too.

Glad to find a fellow "dirt eater"!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, I think I've read/intuited that it enhances utilization of other minerals. For example, maybe the reason it helps me sleep is because it's boosting calcium absorption. And the magnesium I'm taking for my bladder; maybe it's boosting that, too.

Glad to find a fellow "dirt eater"!
Yes yes! I laugh that you call it dirt eating because that is just what I call it. I say, "it's time to eat dirt".
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Interesting, guys! Thanks for posting all the results you've had, PJ, and keep us informed how it's going. Glad it's doing such great things for you! A couple years ago, I was taking a skin, hair and nails supplement that had silica and a bunch of other good things, and I think it did help. I quit taking it because it had iron too, and I was afraid of getting too much of that. Anyway, I'll learn more about the DE.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
This is fascinating! Reduced menstrual cramping would be a godsend!!!

I have a bottle of silica capsules I bought from the Vitamin Shoppe but never took them. I wonder if these capsules would have the same effect as the DE?

Last edited by Kiley2801; 03-31-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kiley--it should have some of the same effects, but probably not all. Also, it would take a LOT of capsules to equal what I get in a spoonful! But you could start with what you have on hand...see if it helps anything.

If you Google "silica benefits", the lists are quite astounding!

And DE possibly does even more, because it can get rid of intestinal parasites, which can cause many difficult-to-diagnose symptoms.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
This is fascinating! Reduced menstrual cramping would be a godsend!!!

I have a bottle of silica capsules I bought from the Vitamin Shoppe but never took them. I wonder if these capsules would have the same effect as the DE?
To echo PirateJenny, I took silica capsules but did not see any impact from those like I do from the DE. Like she said, maybe it is the amount you need to take.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I had never even heard of this before. I just did a search and I can get Food grade here in the UK.

May just try this. Thanks again PJ, what a fund of information you are.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
But how many calories does it have? It sounds very promising and I think I will order some soon. Thanks for the tip!
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Oh, my...I've spent almost 3 hours on this...forgot about breakfast...ON AN UP DAY!!!

That's how much I love my JUDDD BUDDDs!

And I totally forgot to mention my ear thing! Will try to get to that later, for Carmiel.
Tell me what the ear thing is about please!!! I am having trouble hearing! Always looking for help with hearing!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I'm not sure it will help with hearing--sorry!

My "ear thing" is that for the last 15 years or so I get frequent earaches in my right ear. Even when it doesn't hurt, it feels sort of like there's water (or mucus?! yuck!) in there. I feel a "slosh" and pressure when I move or tilt my head, similar to a sinus infection.

Anyway, there hasn't been any "sloshing" lately!
So I hope that will mean no more earaches!

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-31-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Good reports about diatomaceous earth!

I did look into it a couple of years back, and decided against it only because I was taking so many supps, I simply didn't want to add another.

The benefits are numerous and the reviews I've read are outstanding.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Kiley--it should have some of the same effects, but probably not all. Also, it would take a LOT of capsules to equal what I get in a spoonful! But you could start with what you have on hand...see if it helps anything.

If you Google "silica benefits", the lists are quite astounding!

And DE possibly does even more, because it can get rid of intestinal parasites, which can cause many difficult-to-diagnose symptoms.
I am thoroughly convinced! I bought some DE from Amazon today. Thank you for the recommendation.

If it alleviates the menstrual cramps even just a tad, it will be worth it. And less hair loss and better sleep would be awesome too!

Last edited by Kiley2801; 03-31-2012 at 03:50 PM..
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tylar
Stats: 180/180/??? 5'7" 48
WOE: SB/301
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Kiley, did your DE arrive? What do you think?

I started taking DE two days ago when I started induction. Besides all the great reported benefits, I'm mainly trying to treat candida and (highly suspected) parasites. There are HORROR stories online regarding taking too much too soon (think: furious, roiling intestinal worms)! So to avoid my own personal nightmare, I started with one level teaspoon right after work, not knowing what to expect. No problem, so last night I took 1 1/2 teaspoons. My goal is to work up to 2 tablespoons/day for health and prevention.

Both nights I've slept great. I am feeling some detox (foggy, fatigue, stuffiness), but that's probably also from induction. However, the chronic "itchy tushy" - a symptom of yeast/parasites - is much improved already.
Tylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
Start Date: June 2012
DH and I started taking this 5 days ago. We take 2 Tbsp mixed in water,tea or whatever helps us gag it down lol. I hope to see improvements!
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

I'm taking some silica capsules, but haven't found a local source for the organic food grade diatomaceous earth. Who do you order from??
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tylar
Stats: 180/180/??? 5'7" 48
WOE: SB/301
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I ordered mine on Amazon. I know online shipping can be expensive, but I've got free shipping with them since I'm a Prime member. That comes in handy with heavy stuff!
Tylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
We've used this with our cattle--mixed it in with their mineral for parasite control. Used it in the garden too. But never ingested it. Very interesting results PJ. Thanks for sharing. I may consider it.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had another TOM since my last post, and there was minimal cramping. Unfortunately there was a mild but persistent discomfort or pressure...hard to describe...but only about 3 minutes of actual pain (literally 3 minutes, I'm not joking!)

DE really helps me sleep, which makes my life so much easier! I don't know if I would be able to do JUDDD without it!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Ordered ten pounds for 21.99 and free shipping. Will use on dog and in camp trailer too.