Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 186/178/130
WOE: medifast/Atkins
Start Date: June 11th 2014
My daughter has been so frustrated with her acne and I suggested the DE. About 1/2 teaspoon a day.....Much Much better. She is so happy!
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
My daughter has been so frustrated with her acne and I suggested the DE. About 1/2 teaspoon a day.....Much Much better. She is so happy!
That's great!!!
1/2 teaspoon isn't even that much...I'm impressed that such a small amount helped her!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #183
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
OMG, maybe this will help my acne -- I have tried everything I could think of to get it under control! It isn't constant, thank goodness, but when it does break out I get the motherload of cystic acne outbreaks -- I am in the late healing stages of one right now, that was brought on by my last cleanse.

Between the JUDDDing, several skin supplements, low carb, and good skincare -- you'd think this wouldn't be a problem... but stress and hormones are the big culprits here -- and a cleanse is almost a guaranteed breakout for me.

I am actually going to try a facial with the DE as soon as the skin calms down a little more.

8/28:128.6 .... 10/7 118.4 ....10/20: 115.8
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Wow, this is a fantastic thread! I want the dirt, I'm upping my CO (thanks for the suggestions), and now I want turmeric!
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
<snipped>

However...I noticed something exciting!!! I've had a horrible case of itchy/scabby/inflamed scalp for over 20 years. I can't tell you all the things I've tried to relieve it. The last couple weeks have been even more awful than usual...running my fingers thru my hair, it would feel something like the picture below (kaffir limes), except, you know, scabby.

Anyway, my scalp suddenly feels very smooth, not itchy, and has very few flakes. I don't know if it's the change in the weather (hot weather & constant sweating makes my scalp worse), but I suspect it's the turmeric!

Anyway, will keep y'all updated.
Having a weird scalp always makes me feel so yucky & self-conscious.
It's more than just a physical relief to have the inflammation calm down!!!
Since this is now the "anything cool" thread that's sprung from a discussion of DE... I have had hair/scalp issues, though not what you're experiencing. However, last year I stopped using shampoo, conditioner, and any leave-in hair products for about three months. Not to say I didn't wash - it just didn't involve shampoo. You can find a ton of info on this under search terms like "curly girl" and "no-poo" and "silicone-free" and so forth.

I used dissolved baking soda in warm water to wash - it feels somewhat gritty - just pour over the scalp and work it in with the pads of your fingertips, let it sit for a minute. I found that having one of those removable shower heads with a hose & wall mount to be helpful to rinse efficiently. After rinsing all the baking soda out, a couple of tablespoons of white distilled vinegar in about 12 ounces of water for a rinse. I added drops of lavender or rosemary oil as well, because both smell wonderful and are also anti-inflammatory. It took a few days for all of the old build-up of silicone and other garbage to break free from the hair, and then it was like a miracle! My hair had been straw-like, dry, brittle, and dull. Suddenly it was bouncy and the shine? Oh, my! My scalp stopped the insane itching. And the oddest thing was that my hair had real body - whereas before I used a ton of product to get it to hold any shape, it would hold a beautiful bouncy curl all day and sometimes even after I slept on it!

Now I use shampoo & conditioner, but it's all low-sulfate, silicone and paraben free and it still looks great. I am going to switch to the baking soda & vinegar method for summer, though, and give my hair another break.

When I first heard of going w/o shampoo, I thought, "ewww!" but now I am SOLD!
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Wow Yello! Post-menopause my hair is straw. I have been washing with conditioner only. And I am pleased with the results. But I am going to check all of your suggestions out!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Wow Yello! Post-menopause my hair is straw. I have been washing with conditioner only. And I am pleased with the results. But I am going to check all of your suggestions out!
CO-washing is good so long as you choose one w/o silicone. Here's a list:
https://sites.google.com/site/ladylo...eeconditioners

What happens is that silicone is added because it gives your hair that super-slick feeling when you rinse, but it's a lot like coating your hair with plastic. The longer it builds up, the less moisture your hair can get inside the shaft - it just becomes dryer and dryer. The lowest cost one is probably the Suave Naturals. I've used Nature's Gate, but found it was too heavy for my babyfine hair. My fave is TRESemme Naturals "Radiant Volume" which smells divine!

On the straw hair thing - prior to this switch, if I touched my hair near my ears, I could hear it CRUNCH. Just awful.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Great thread. I want to try the dirt, but haven't gotten any yet. But I am going to try not counting my co, up to 3tbsp. Yesterday, I just did 2 tsp off the spoon (a DD) and didn't want to do too much to start. Today, I added 1 tbsp to my morning smoothie, and plan to make some co bark to nibble on through the day.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Yello...a few years ago I went no-poo. My hair was very shiny & soft...my friends were always freaking out over it...and it was a great conversation starter, because every week I was doing crazy things like putting molasses & mayonnaise in my hair!!!

But the inflamed scalp thing kept coming back, and eventually I had to go back to using a dandruff shampoo.

Maybe I'll be able to go back to it...thanks for the reminder!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
So sorry to jump in without rereading the entire thread. Perhaps this is a repeat but I'm just listening to Jeff Leach on CBC (Canadian national radio) talk about dirt in our diets You kind find his info by googling "new york times dirt op ed" He wrote an op ed last week that is getting huge attention.
Thought you guys might enjoy his stuff.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post

What happens is that silicone is added because it gives your hair that super-slick feeling when you rinse, but it's a lot like coating your hair with plastic. The longer it builds up, the less moisture your hair can get inside the shaft - it just becomes dryer and dryer. The lowest cost one is probably the Suave Naturals. I've used Nature's Gate, but found it was too heavy for my babyfine hair. My fave is TRESemme Naturals "Radiant Volume" which smells divine!

On the straw hair thing - prior to this switch, if I touched my hair near my ears, I could hear it CRUNCH. Just awful.
Wow! Thanks for the hair info yellobrix! I use Millcreek Botanicals Keratin Conditioner and I didn't see it on your list, but it also claims to be without silicone. I will have to do more research on this product.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Girls, I took 1tbsp of EVCO cocoa crack last night before bed and was down 1/2 lb this morn. Will continue to take it and report what I find. I take 1 tbsp with my coffee and 1 with dinner and 1 before bed. I am a bit scared that I may need to lower this, especially on a DD.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #193
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post

I have used Wen on occasion (on my WOE I cannot do oils, even in beauty products) and love going the no poo route. I love the Wen, but boy it is expensive. My DH about had a heart attack when he saw how much my gallon jug cost. My hair is like straw now and I know I need to continue using the cleansing conditioner. Currently I am trying to use up the regular ones from the store that I have bought. Cannot wait til they are all gone. Once my round of hcg is up, I have to go back to it! I might do the routine you have done first, actually now that I think of it I can do that now!! Using the baking soda. Thank you so much for sharing!!!! I love LCFs and this forum I have learned so much from y'all.

Last edited by dawnyama; 06-26-2012 at 12:30 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #194

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Thanks, Yello...a few years ago I went no-poo. My hair was very shiny & soft...my friends were always freaking out over it...and it was a great conversation starter, because every week I was doing crazy things like putting molasses & mayonnaise in my hair!!!

But the inflamed scalp thing kept coming back, and eventually I had to go back to using a dandruff shampoo.

Maybe I'll be able to go back to it...thanks for the reminder!
I was watching show called "The Revolution" the other day and they had on hair issues. They had the doctor that is an advisor to Head and Shoulders on, so of course they were there to help promote Head & Shoulders so take this for what it is worth. The doc said that the flakes are really a fungus that is in the hair and that the zinc in the H&S is designed or used to get rid of it, by going into the grooves and crevices is can hide in. Everyone has that fungus on their scalp. I am guessing that in some it can get out of control. The info was fascinating, regardless of if you buy the H&S or not.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The best product I ever found was called Skin Zinc (iirc), but it comes in a pricey kit with a cream I don't need.

Topical zinc has def helped...wish I could find a better source.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #196
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
Hmm -- I wonder what my perimenopause hair would be like if I didn't have dreads? lol!

I wash them with dread shampoo which is very pure -- no conditioners, no residue -- and my scalp is generally very healthy -- though I do have problems in the summer when I sweat a lot, and have to wash the dreads more often -- my scalp gets dry then. I wonder if the DE will help?
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #197
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
I have been using baking soda with vinegar rinse for few years and my hair looks great. I don't miss using commercial shampoos. The only issue I have is when I travel, it is little bit inconvenient.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Baking soda is such a great cleanser. I use it for body scrub and teeth. Guess i'll have to try hair next.

My hair is only about an inch long so no worries over tangles.

I buy BS from the bulk bins.....so cheap.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Girls, I took 1tbsp of EVCO cocoa crack last night before bed and was down 1/2 lb this morn. Will continue to take it and report what I find. I take 1 tbsp with my coffee and 1 with dinner and 1 before bed. I am a bit scared that I may need to lower this, especially on a DD.
Oh Good Lord,
Now I have "discovered" cocoa crack!!!

I've heard it mentioned over & over but wasn't that interested in trying it.
Not a big fan of coconut + sweet.

But a few days ago, I realized I had ordered coconut sugar recently but still had not used it.
So I decided to try it in the "crack".

I just made a small experimental batch and omgomgomg it is SO good!!!
I put in a bunch of Ceylon cinnamon and sprinkled sea salt on top.

Have y'all ever bought Mexican hot chocolate tablets?
They have cinnamon in them, and the sugar is very granular & crunchy--
it's not meant for eating, just for melting into hot milk.
But of course I nibble on it sometimes!
Anyway, my cinnamon cocoa crack reminds me of those tablets--
the coconut sugar stayed a little crunchy!
But it also caramelized a bit, so it's chewy like candy.
And it's not too coconutty...mostly chocolatey!!! and cinnamonny!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-26-2012 at 09:58 PM..
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
PJ....what all did you put in it?

I made one yesterday (UD) with 1T CO, 1T natural PB, and just 1 tsp organic raw cocoa and 1 tsp coconut sugar. It was yummy! I'd like to try it with the organic cinnamon that I've been adding to my smoothies. Today is a DD and I'm going to try it with PB2 plus I'll have a T in my smoothie.

I've also been giving my hair 'oil treatments' with CO. Twice in the last week and my dry crunchy hair is much improved. It's been getting progressively worse and after reading here it dawned on me that the shampoo (organic, natural, expensive, blah, blah, blah) I switched to a while back is probably making it worse. Dd has been doing the baking soda & vinegar rinse thing and I think I am going to try it.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cocoa powder, coconut oil, coconut sugar, Ceylon cinnamon (this has a much different flavor than cassia cinnamon; I got a pound of it from Frontier herbs), pinch of salt.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hate to tell you guys what I mix in my cocoa crack! It is probably not as nutritious as it could be, but it is so delicious that I really could sit and eat a whole cup if I am not careful. I mix a tbsp of fatfree half & half, cocoa, stevia, xylitol, sea salt and then when I am ready to eat the goodness I top off my tablespoon with big squirt of full fat whipping cream!

You see, I only allow myself fruit for dessert, so this is truly my one naughty sin.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 06-27-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #203

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I've been doing a sort of a variation and I guess it doesn't qualify as coco-crack, but it's yummy anyway.

I mix chocolate PB2 with 1/2 T water, then mix in 1 T EVCO. I then spread it on apple slices or a banana. It is soooo good! I wonder if I mixed it then froze it what the consistency would be like. Hmm, I see an experiment in my near future.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I've been doing a sort of a variation and I guess it doesn't qualify as coco-crack, but it's yummy anyway.

I mix chocolate PB2 with 1/2 T water, then mix in 1 T EVCO. I then spread it on apple slices or a banana. It is soooo good! I wonder if I mixed it then froze it what the consistency would be like. Hmm, I see an experiment in my near future.
I have got to try the PB2, because I have not had PB in years! So many ways that it can be used! What is it sweetened with?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #205

Chocolate PB2
Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.

The regular PB2 is just Roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hear of a lot of JUDDD budds using the PB2 in their protein shakes or smoothies. I guess it has the same amount of protein as peanut butter, but less fat?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What consistency do you guys get with your CC?
I see mentions of "eating a tablespoon" and now Dawn said "spreading" it.

Last night I put mine in a thin layer on a couple of little saucers & put them in the freezer for a few minutes. Then I popped the chocolate loose with a spoon and "cracked" it--I thought that's where the name came from? There were long cracks in the surface after it froze.

I think eating it this way slowed me down a little!!! Which was a good thing!!!

PS: I bought the Protein Plus Peanut Flour, which is still pretty low cal (28/tbsp) but doesn't have the added sugar of PB2.

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-27-2012 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
What consistency do you guys get with your CC?
I see mentions of "eating a tablespoon" and now Dawn said "spreading" it.

Last night I put mine in a thin layer on a couple of little saucers & put them in the freezer for a few minutes. Then I popped the chocolate loose with a spoon and "cracked" it--I thought that's where the name came from? There were long cracks in the surface after it froze.

I think eating it this way slowed me down a little!!! Which was a good thing!!!
Oh, I never make much at one time. In fact, I have a very small 1/2 cup rubbermaid container, I mix about 1/4 cup of EVCO at a time. It is very creamy because I fridge it only until time for me to dose and then once I take my TBSP, I pop it back into the fridge. I know better than to make a whole bunch at one time.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #209

I only make the PB2 version currently, and it's more the consistency of peanut butter, but a little thinner. I don't refrigerate it or freeze it, so I'm not sure how it will come out if I do that.

ETA: I make it one serving at a time to be safe.

When I used to make the cocoa powder, CO, splenda version, I froze it then "cracked" it and it was the consistency of a candy bar.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 06-27-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #210
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
I found the DE at my local Nutritionsmart, it also goes by the name Diatomite Minerals.
It's cheaper online, but I am anxious to try this! Been having hair and nail troubles for a while now!

One glass down!!
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote