Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I count half the CO calories. But, like Adi, I am seeing an increase in weight loss rate. If that keeps up, I may drop back to don't count the first 3 Tbs.

Sunday, I think back in the beginning I read something about spread CO out over the day. I always eat it with a meal...figure that is a great time to rev up the ol' metabolism.

C'Marie! For heaven's sake! You are free now, free!! Put it on your face, your hands, your whatever!

( Transitioning to freedom is really startling, isn't it? Six months JUDDDing and I still have "Can I do that????" moments.)
Okay, so if I count half then I had 189 cal extra? I am not sure whether it should be done on a DD??? I did notice my tummy didn't act real happy about the last dose, so I may keep it to an UD due to no food on the stomach.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I started taking 1T of EVCO every morning a couple months back for the GI healing and regulating benefits and I never counted the calories. It didn't have any negative effects on my weight loss. It didn't really speed up weight loss either, but there were so many benefits that I still continue to take the 1T except I like it better on DDs actually. It definitely helps warm me up which is great when I'm freezing at work (they always have the A/C blasting). My digestion is great and skin is clear and glowing when I take it regularly too. On UDs recently I like to eat it in a "fudge" that I make with EVCO, coconut butter, almond butter and cocoa powder.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Ok, I guess we're off the topic of DE and onto CO?

Well, I can't believe I haven't thought of this before:
Using coconut oil to stave off the "dawn phenomenon".
Last night I had a Fat Bomb right before bed and
woke up with 95 BG. <<<---HAPPY TEARS!!!
MY BG IS USUALLY 115 OR HIGHER!!!

If y'all don't know, dawn phenomenon happens in diabetics.
We wake up with BG (blood glucose) that is higher in the morning than when we went to sleep (it should be lower in the am), because something signals the liver to release glucose during the night.

There is a sort of Holy Grail quest to find something that will prevent the glucose dump. I've heard things like: 1/2 an apple, a spoonful of honey, apple cider vinegar, glass of wine, piece of cheese, chia seeds, etc etc. A while back I was actually having some success with walnuts before bed (or as my only allowed snack after dinner/in the middle of the night).

With changing/tweaking one thing and another, and trying to keep DD calories lower, I sort of forgot about the walnuts.

But CO seems like it might be the perfect fuel. I mean, it's not easily stored as fat, right? So maybe it's enough fuel to get through the night, and the liver won't "think" it has to release glucose.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-24-2012 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: correct numbers
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
WOW PJ! Happy tears for sure!!

I don't think we are off of DE, DE and healthy elimination is way too important to lose track of. I suspect we have just broadened the base to 'unusual supplements that do amazing things'.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Thanks so much for the reminder ! Yes, transitions are hard for me. I'm a tax accountant - I count everything LOL.... I'm such a dang rule follower I get OCD if I even "think" of going rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I count half the CO calories. But, like Adi, I am seeing an increase in weight loss rate. If that keeps up, I may drop back to don't count the first 3 Tbs.

Sunday, I think back in the beginning I read something about spread CO out over the day. I always eat it with a meal...figure that is a great time to rev up the ol' metabolism.

C'Marie! For heaven's sake! You are free now, free!! Put it on your face, your hands, your whatever!

( Transitioning to freedom is really startling, isn't it? Six months JUDDDing and I still have "Can I do that????" moments.)
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW! Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Well, I can't believe I haven't thought of this before:
Using coconut oil to stave off the "dawn phenomenon".
Last night I had a Fat Bomb right before bed and
woke up with 95 BG. <<<---HAPPY TEARS!!!
MY BG IS USUALLY 115 OR HIGHER!!!

But CO seems like it might be the perfect fuel. I mean, it's not easily stored as fat, right? So maybe it's enough fuel to get through the night, and the liver won't "think" it has to release glucose.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
PJ, that is FANTASTIC!!! So happy for you.
God, I thought you guys were still doing the dirt talk. If CO is now part of the deal, I'm in! I love the stuff. Inside for my GI tract, on my skin, in my frizzy hair. And the bark! I'm away from home at the moment. My lovely man called me this evening, saying that the last batch of bark, which he said was the best, has run out. I didn't bother to say that it has run out because he can't go more than about two hours without a trip to the fridge for another hunk.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #158
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
Well, I am still drinking my dirt! I have high hopes for it to do miracles for my skin.

I may try adding the maximum amount of coconut oil that I can get away with not counting every day, LOL! I love the stuff. I have problems not eating tons of the bark, though! I'm probably best off staying away from THAT on my down days, or things could get out of hand.
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #159
Big Yapper!!!!

Piratejenny -- SO happy to hear that you had such a great glucose number this morning! Wouldn't it be great if that was a permanent solution for the problem????
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am sending the EVCO to my mother who lives 500 miles away! I am hoping this will help her with her memory. She is 74 and has always been very sharp, but lately I have been worried about her.

I ordered my dirt will let you all know how and what I notice with the dirt drinks!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you all!!!

I realized later today that there was another factor last night...white wine!!!

I drink only VERY rarely.

I drink white wine even more rarely!!!

As I read up some more on the dawn effect today, I came across several stories of people experiencing better FBG when they had one drink (like wine or scotch) before bed, as well as studies like this: Glycemic Effects of Moderate Alcohol Intake Among Patients With Type 2 Diabetes

I'm going to do another Fat Bomb tonight, and then tomorrow a glass of wine but no Fat Bomb, and see what happens to my morning BG.

Oh, poor me!!! Drinking wine and eating Fat Bombs for my diabetes!!!

PS--I *love* saying "Fat Bomb"!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fatbomb.jpg (28.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-24-2012 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Thank you all!!!

I realized later today that there was another factor last night...white wine!!!

I drink only VERY rarely.

I drink white wine even more rarely!!!

As I read up some more on the dawn effect today, I came across several stories of people experiencing better FBG when they had one drink (like wine or scotch) before bed, as well as studies like this: Glycemic Effects of Moderate Alcohol Intake Among Patients With Type 2 Diabetes

I'm going to do another Fat Bomb tonight, and then tomorrow a glass of wine but no Fat Bomb, and see what happens to my morning BG.

Oh, poor me!!! Drinking wine and eating Fat Bombs for my diabetes!!!

PS--I *love* saying "Fat Bomb"!!!
Gosh, I guess I learn something new every day. What is a "fat bomb"?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #163
Big Yapper!!!!

I was wondering that too about the Fat Bomb ... it looks yummy! What is in it?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here ya go:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15697410
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #165
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh. My. LORD.

I would never stop eating these!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lololololololol!!!!!!

Yeah, it's tough!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I put them in individual muffin papers and put them in the freezer and try to only eat *one* otherwise, ya. Big time.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #168
Big Yapper!!!!

I think these are best left to the imagination! I see serious portion control issues stemming from having them within 100 miles of me....
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #169
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Managed to get 1 T of DE down last night. I do fine for the first couple of swallows then my sensitive gag reflex kicks in. Sure hope it does something good since it certainly isn't an enjoyable experience.
Drinking 1 t of coconut oil in my coffee this morning. 1 T was overkill since I am down to only one cup of coffee every morning.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
I'm always up for trying something new - have picked up SO many interesting tidbits from LCF it's ridiculous! Anyway, I began starting my day with an "egg cream" which is not like the ones you buy in NYC. It's some ice, 2 raw eggs, almond milk, cocoa powder, a half scoop of protein powder, and some Sweet'n Low. It's around 350 calories and it's my every day b'fast. And a long time ago I started adding L-glutamine to it, as that amino acid is supposed to help w/cravings. And so this week I added DE to it. I am not at all certain about some of the more hyped-up claims, but I can see that there should be certain benefits and I'm open to being proven wrong since I think it falls into the "won't hurt, might help" category.

If the DE alone is a problem but you want to try it, see if you can find a flavored drink to carry it along. Once it's blended, there's only a barely perceptable texture. With the ice and the fluff from the eggs, I really can't tell it's there.

I have to say this: I live in horse country, so I'm never far from farm supply or a tack shop. I did feel slightly odd, hiking up that 20 pound bag of DE, knowing that it was neither for my horse or my chickens - but would end up in my kitchen! Also, when I got it, I sprinkled quite a bit around the back yard and along the foundation of the house. I mean, as long as I've got it, I might as well use it for insect control, right?

Mmm - killing flies and boosting my silica levels simultaneously!
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, BG was back to 115 this am.
Will have to try the wine tonight!

Then I'll do each thing for a whole week, because one day could just be a fluke.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post
I'm always up for trying something new - have picked up SO many interesting tidbits from LCF it's ridiculous! Anyway, I began starting my day with an "egg cream" which is not like the ones you buy in NYC. It's some ice, 2 raw eggs, almond milk, cocoa powder, a half scoop of protein powder, and some Sweet'n Low. It's around 350 calories and it's my every day b'fast. And a long time ago I started adding L-glutamine to it, as that amino acid is supposed to help w/cravings. And so this week I added DE to it. I am not at all certain about some of the more hyped-up claims, but I can see that there should be certain benefits and I'm open to being proven wrong since I think it falls into the "won't hurt, might help" category.

If the DE alone is a problem but you want to try it, see if you can find a flavored drink to carry it along. Once it's blended, there's only a barely perceptable texture. With the ice and the fluff from the eggs, I really can't tell it's there.

I have to say this: I live in horse country, so I'm never far from farm supply or a tack shop. I did feel slightly odd, hiking up that 20 pound bag of DE, knowing that it was neither for my horse or my chickens - but would end up in my kitchen! Also, when I got it, I sprinkled quite a bit around the back yard and along the foundation of the house. I mean, as long as I've got it, I might as well use it for insect control, right?

Mmm - killing flies and boosting my silica levels simultaneously!
Killing flies as well! Just make sure that you don't breathe in the powder! It is not good for the lungs. I have read on the Amazon site, that it can be tough if you accidentally inhale the fine powder.

PJ, thanks for the info on fat bombs. Is this a way to bring your cals up to level? Or is there a benefit to have one right before bed? Just curious.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Killing flies as well! Just make sure that you don't breathe in the powder! It is not good for the lungs. I have read on the Amazon site, that it can be tough if you accidentally inhale the fine powder.

PJ, thanks for the info on fat bombs. Is this a way to bring your cals up to level? Or is there a benefit to have one right before bed? Just curious.
Yes, I understand it can be dangerous if inhaled. I chose to sprinkle it lightly on the dog's poo. As I tell my family often, I do not own a dog. They do. I also do not scoop after this dog I don't own. But I will stroll the yard and do some fly-prevention.

I could be wrong (and certainly hope I am not) but I don't imagine any of us is going to be in the position of inhaling the DE from its current location.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hi sweetie--
if you scroll up to post #153, you'll see why I'm trying Fat Bombs at night.

I made them originally as a way to get in some Omega-3s, and to eat coconut oil without carbs & additional calories (I prefer it on toast, popcorn, and rice!!!).

They are definitely a good way to get calories in on UDs!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #175
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
Oh. My. LORD.

I would never stop eating these!

mini--I am loading with my fat bombs. they are
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Can I ask how you all get lots of CO in, other than the bombs? I put it in morning coffee, but that gets me about 1/2 Tb. Oh, and there's the chocolate bark, but what else????i'd love to try eating more.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Can I ask how you all get lots of CO in, other than the bombs? I put it in morning coffee, but that gets me about 1/2 Tb. Oh, and there's the chocolate bark, but what else????i'd love to try eating more.

Cooks eggs in it. Eat it off the spoon, although I have to follow it quickly with a drink of water of something as the oil melted on my throat is not pleasant. Makes me cough every time. I'd caution against taking more then a Tblsp or two at a time as an unwell feeling can follow often soon after. Does for me anyway. Not a day goes by that I don't consume some CO.

Many people put it on toast and veggies and even popcorn etc.
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
i made pudding the other day with CO.
i bought sf chocolate
and used unsweetened coconut milk
and added melted CO and mixed.

its a full box and is 300 calories for the WHOLE thing BEFORE CO.
but daaaaamn its good
just dont go hopping on the treadmill anytime soon
learned the hard way
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made the turmeric paste (but added ground pepper as well as a few long pepper "catkins"--ooh, I just learned a new word!) a few nights ago.
Didn't really enjoy it in milk so I've just been eating it off the spoon like a boss!!!

I was hoping it would help with the pain I'm still experiencing from my car crash. I don't think it is...a couple days, I actually felt worse.
But, I believe that inflammation is meant to be protective...if that area is not healed yet, perhaps "removing" the inflammation prematurely will enable movements that cause pain.

However...I noticed something exciting!!! I've had a horrible case of itchy/scabby/inflamed scalp for over 20 years. I can't tell you all the things I've tried to relieve it.
The last couple weeks have been even more awful than usual...running my fingers thru my hair, it would feel something like the picture below (kaffir limes), except, you know, scabby.

Anyway, my scalp suddenly feels very smooth, not itchy, and has very few flakes.
I don't know if it's the change in the weather (hot weather & constant sweating makes my scalp worse), but I suspect it's the turmeric!

I've taken turmeric before, but as a supplement I'd never cooked it; I just mixed the raw powder into water & drank it. Some herbalists I've worked with have told me that many herbs & spices are more potent after being heated; it is often preferable to make a tea or cook them in food than to eat them raw. I just never knew how to get a teaspoon of turmeric into me!!!

Anyway, will keep y'all updated.
Having a weird scalp always makes me feel so yucky & self-conscious.
It's more than just a physical relief to have the inflammation calm down!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaffir.jpg (54.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-25-2012 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: forgot photo!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
i use to take turmeric daily. some people have insane results with it.

those things in the picture looks just like hedge apples!
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote