Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
I am so glad this thread exists! I have some food grade DE -- I use it to worm my birds, and around their hutches to keep them from getting mites -- I hate using anything toxic around my precious feathered friends.

I've been meaning to add it to my own supplements regimen for a while, and this inspired me to do it! In fact, I am going to go brush my teeth with it right after I get off the internet. I have heard before that low carb diets do increase plaque -- I've read that a couple of times -- it has to do with changes in the content of the saliva, I think...

8/28:128.6 .... 10/7 118.4 ....10/20: 115.8
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #92
Big Yapper!!!!

As for the bowel stuff -- I have no shame talking about this, at all (in fact, don't get me started with the bowel business... I might never shut up!)

The point of this post is that Bentonite Clay has been miraculous for me, as have a number of other substances. I'm posting this in case it might be helpful for someone else.

I used natural healing methods to restore my gut after it was nearly destroyed from long term antibiotics (nearly 4 years worth, in high doses! They were necessary -- I had Lyme disease and they restored my overall health - but they nearly destroyed my gut in the process.)

Four years ago, at the end of my last round of antibiotics, my gut was ulcerated and inflamed, and the inflammation became so severe that I got an impaction, and nothing was moving through my gut at all -- I also developed C Difficile, which was a huge contributor to the whole picture. Conventional medicine stated that the only option was to have a section of my bowel removed.

I was in such bad shape that I could only tolerate liquids at that point -- solid food was out of the question.

Food allergy testing revealed that I was reacting to every substance for which I was tested -- my doctor (whom I adore, but can not afford to see regularly) said my gut was likely very leaky from large ulcerations, and a lot of small perforations. I knew, and she concurred, that I was also fighting a candida infestation of monumental proportions. She was of the belief that it might be able to be healed using diet and natural medicine (she uses a combined naturopathic/conventional approach).

I decided that I'd much rather give an honest go to natural healing than to let someone hack me apart ... so I began a long quest to heal my gut.

I won't detail the whole "bowel odyssey" for you -- but the short version is this -- fasting on lemon water with apple cider vinegar, and high dose vitamin c, alongside colonics (yes, I learned to do them on myself -- ugh!) dissolved and removed enough of the impaction to allow my gut to pass solids again.

I then embarked on a series of cleanses -- there is an herbal cleanse with psylllium/bentonite that is made by a company called "blessed herbs" --- it is incredibly gentle compared to other psyllium/bentonite cleanses, and well worth the price -- a ten day run with that allowed me to start eating solid food again, in limited quantities.

I then added coconut oil to my diet -- and had a detox reaction that lasted months! -- but also saw almost immediate improvements in my digestion.

At that point, I tried the Oxygen cleanses -- Oxy Powder, OxyCleanse, etc. I wish I had known about those earlier, when I had the impaction -- these are amazing.

The upshot of this is: nearly 4 years of regular cleanses (oxygen alternated with psyllium/bentonite), copious amounts of coconut oil and garlic, a good supplements and probiotics regimen, and tedious attention to a yeast-fighting diet later -- I have a healthy gut.

The candida is gone -- honestly, gone. I don't get female yeast infections anymore (they used to be almost constant) or yeast rashes on my skin. I can digest foods well -- including large quanties of raw veggies, which I have only recently been able to tolerate.

I no longer have "IBS" -- my gut functions as it should.

SO.... this post is not exactly about DE, lol -- but I hope it does illustrate that bentonite can be a wonderful part of a healing regimen -- and if this is at all helpful to anyone, then it was well worth this lengthy, TMI post
Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I love bentonite, too! It HEALED the very painful, persistent acid reflux I suffered from for years!
So glad you found that it helped you.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
As for the bowel stuff -- I have no shame talking about this, at all (in fact, don't get me started with the bowel business... I might never shut up!)

The point of this post is that Bentonite Clay has been miraculous for me, as have a number of other substances. I'm posting this in case it might be helpful for someone else.

I used natural healing methods to restore my gut after it was nearly destroyed from long term antibiotics (nearly 4 years worth, in high doses! They were necessary -- I had Lyme disease and they restored my overall health - but they nearly destroyed my gut in the process.)

Four years ago, at the end of my last round of antibiotics, my gut was ulcerated and inflamed, and the inflammation became so severe that I got an impaction, and nothing was moving through my gut at all -- I also developed C Difficile, which was a huge contributor to the whole picture. Conventional medicine stated that the only option was to have a section of my bowel removed.

I was in such bad shape that I could only tolerate liquids at that point -- solid food was out of the question.

Food allergy testing revealed that I was reacting to every substance for which I was tested -- my doctor (whom I adore, but can not afford to see regularly) said my gut was likely very leaky from large ulcerations, and a lot of small perforations. I knew, and she concurred, that I was also fighting a candida infestation of monumental proportions. She was of the belief that it might be able to be healed using diet and natural medicine (she uses a combined naturopathic/conventional approach).

I decided that I'd much rather give an honest go to natural healing than to let someone hack me apart ... so I began a long quest to heal my gut.

I won't detail the whole "bowel odyssey" for you -- but the short version is this -- fasting on lemon water with apple cider vinegar, and high dose vitamin c, alongside colonics (yes, I learned to do them on myself -- ugh!) dissolved and removed enough of the impaction to allow my gut to pass solids again.

I then embarked on a series of cleanses -- there is an herbal cleanse with psylllium/bentonite that is made by a company called "blessed herbs" --- it is incredibly gentle compared to other psyllium/bentonite cleanses, and well worth the price -- a ten day run with that allowed me to start eating solid food again, in limited quantities.

I then added coconut oil to my diet -- and had a detox reaction that lasted months! -- but also saw almost immediate improvements in my digestion.

At that point, I tried the Oxygen cleanses -- Oxy Powder, OxyCleanse, etc. I wish I had known about those earlier, when I had the impaction -- these are amazing.

The upshot of this is: nearly 4 years of regular cleanses (oxygen alternated with psyllium/bentonite), copious amounts of coconut oil and garlic, a good supplements and probiotics regimen, and tedious attention to a yeast-fighting diet later -- I have a healthy gut.

The candida is gone -- honestly, gone. I don't get female yeast infections anymore (they used to be almost constant) or yeast rashes on my skin. I can digest foods well -- including large quanties of raw veggies, which I have only recently been able to tolerate.

I no longer have "IBS" -- my gut functions as it should.

SO.... this post is not exactly about DE, lol -- but I hope it does illustrate that bentonite can be a wonderful part of a healing regimen -- and if this is at all helpful to anyone, then it was well worth this lengthy, TMI post
Amazing!! So nice to read that we can do wonderous things with the tools we are given. I have a question. Is the bentonite a part of your day to day - or is it something that is used if an issue pops up. Under dumb questions - was it part of a colonic (high type?) or something that is ingested. I guess ingested as you said with psyllium. Do you have a brand to recommend for future knowledge?
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Wow! Thanks Mini for giving us the lesson in healing your gut! I have been wanting to do the ACV/Lemon Cleanse and was getting ready to read more about it. I am amazed at what all of these natural substances can do for us.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #96
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow -- so glad this post was helpful!

Capricapers -- I ingested the bentonite -- at first I couldn't tolerate any fiber, so I simply drank the bentonite with a lot of water, which really helped the inflammation upfront. I have used Sonne's and Great Plains, and they are both good liquid forms of bentonite. For a psyllium/bentonite combination, I absolutely swear by the Blessed Herbs cleanse -- I don't know how they do it, but their cleanse is so much less irritating than anything else I have ever tried -- it is pricey (made by an herbalist family -- you can google it) -- but well worth the price if your gut is ailing you.

I did bentonite daily for about three months when the inflammation was at its worst. Now, I do a full 7-10 day psyllium/bentonite cleanse about twice a year -- and I do a few days of an oxygen cleanse at the first sign of trouble.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Sunday --the ACV/lemon cleanse is a powerful combination! I will generally do a day or two of that (with cayenne and garlic added) at the first sign of a cold or flu, and it very often heads it off at the pass, if I catch it early enough.

If the acv/lemon causes too many detox symptoms or gut distress, you can add liquid bentonite as a binding agent -- that tends to help decrease some of the worst of the systemic detox symptoms, in my experience. I found it very soothing to my gut, and the results were pretty immediate.

I also cannot sing the praises of coconut oil loudly enough -- I absolutely swear by the stuff.

It's funny -- when I was first going through all of this, I was pretty mortified to discuss it -- but after a few months of discussions on natural health boards regarding bowels, I wouldn't shut up about the topic (my poor partner and roommate!! lol!) I am a huge believer in the idea that ill health often starts in the gut -- so many of our body's systems are housed there... the immune system, the production of neurotransmitters... things one would never expect to be related to digestion in any way. Heal your gut, and you go a long way towards healing the entire body, I believe.

That said, if I never have to do another colonic, I certainly won't miss them! I do believe that learning to do them saved me from surgery -- and they were a huge help when I was at my worst...but I was glad when I could move on to fasting and ingested cleanses only. Some people come to love that portion of cleansing .. but I wasn't one of them. The benefits made it worth doing, though.

Last edited by minimonkey; 06-18-2012 at 04:32 AM..
Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
I am a huge believer in the idea that ill health often starts in the gut -- so many of our body's systems are housed there... the immune system, the production of neurotransmitters... things one would never expect to be related to digestion in any way. Heal your gut, and you go a long way towards healing the entire body, I believe.
YES!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #99
Big Yapper!!!!

I took my first dose of DE today -- I mixed it in coconut milk, and found it rather pleasant, actually. I also loved it for brushing my teeth! That is a definite keeper for me

I may be a strange example, though ... I like the taste of bentonite clay, straight out of the bottle.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
Mini- thank you for sharing your story. It is amazing! I have no issues talking about gut issues . I suffer from ulcerative colitis and I refuse to take any drugs. I have it pretty much under control with diet and supplementation alone. I have made lots of changes to my diet. First, 12 years ago I started following Blood Type Diet and then I have added to it Specific Carbohydrate Diet (these 2 have been god sent to me).

I will have to look int the DE and bentonite. I have used bentonite as a face mask and did brush my teeth with it for some time. I don't know what happened but after I started brushing my teeth with bentonite I have developed teeth sensitivities. Maybe because I have also added baking soda to it and it became too abrasive. I had to stop as it was eating my enamel.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I finally got brave this monring and tried to drink 1 t of DE/bentonite clay. I got most of it down but the last swallow was almost a gag.
I have been brushing my teeth with DE since my last dentisit visit. it has been about 6 weeks and I am not seeing the plaque buildup that has usually already started by now on the inside of my bottom front teeth. Looking good so far. I follow the DE brushing with brushing with my homemade tooth soap.
Mini - my bentonite clay that I use in making soap is an off white powder. Haven't seen the liquid.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mini! The first drink that I drink every single day is a 22 oz glass of water with the juice of one lemon and 2 tbsp of ACV. I have been doing this for about 4 months! I take Solaray Cool Cayenne and NOW brand Super Ordorless Garlic w/ hawthorne extract every night before bed.

So, now my question is, to do the ACV/lemon cleanse, do you have to drink several of these per day? Just wondering what the process is?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricapers View Post
Do you have a brand to recommend for future knowledge?
I've used the NOW Foods brand but sometimes I can't find the 1-lb jars.
Most recently I've gotten it from Frontier Herbs; they sell it in 1-lb bags.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One more question, how much EVCO are you taking daily? And what benefits have you found with taking it?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow -- so glad this post was helpful!

Capricapers -- I ingested the bentonite -- at first I couldn't tolerate any fiber, so I simply drank the bentonite with a lot of water, which really helped the inflammation upfront. I have used Sonne's and Great Plains, and they are both good liquid forms of bentonite. For a psyllium/bentonite combination, I absolutely swear by the Blessed Herbs cleanse -- I don't know how they do it, but their cleanse is so much less irritating than anything else I have ever tried -- it is pricey (made by an herbalist family -- you can google it) -- but well worth the price if your gut is ailing you.

I did bentonite daily for about three months when the inflammation was at its worst. Now, I do a full 7-10 day psyllium/bentonite cleanse about twice a year -- and I do a few days of an oxygen cleanse at the first sign of trouble.
This is wonderful information, thank you for helping so many by sharing with us. I feel there is no need for the blush factor when discussing gut health. I just find people like you and piratejenny and a few others I could mention to be the definition of what this board is about. I've copied the info to my own files, thanks piratejenny for your recommendation, that's on file too!

I second the high five for unrefined virgin coconut oil (Nutiva.) I have the Bragg's ACV - looks like I have some new ideas now
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

That's interesting you girls talk about lemon/acv water. I just started 3 days ago drinking water with lemon juice and sea salt. I love the taste. I use warm water in the morning and this tastes like broth to me. Today is my DD and all I had is warm water w/lemon and celtic sea salt and I am not hungry. I will try another one and see how long I can wait to eat.

I have a really low blood pressure and I read drinking salt water can help, plus there are many other benefits. I have not ventured yet to add ACV. I think I will stick w/fresh lemon juice for the time being.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

When I am cleansing with acv/lemon etc., I generally fast, and drink the concoction all day long. I often heat water in a kettle, add lemon juice and a couple of tsp of vinegar, and cayenne, and just sip it warm. Sometimes I addl garlic juice and turmeric, which ends up very savory, rather like Indian food in broth form.

If I am going out, I drink it cold, from a water bottle.

I've done several days of this at a time, and aside from some hideous detoxing, have found it pretty pleasant on the whole. It's something of a variant on the Master Cleanse -- I don't do sugars now, so the maple syrup is out of the equation for me -- though I did the original Master Cleanse (with the maple syrup) years ago, and really enjoyed it. I am a pretty experienced faster, and I do like doing it periodically.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

As for coconut oil -- my roommate swears that I am likely to turn into a coconut at some point, lol! I'm limiting my intake of it on down days now, being a new JUDDDer, but when not restricting calories, I use easily 3 tbsp of it a day, and often more. I love coconut bark! I also love to make "magic shell" out of it -- warm coconut oil, sweetener (I use Stevia) and unsweetened cocoa powder, other flavors if you want -- drizzle over something cold (Greek yogurt is my fave) and it hardens.... oh, yum!

I cook in it, I put it on anything that would normally call for butter (muffins, veggies, etc.) -- you name it.

I also love coconut milk, coconut flour, and shredded coconut, hence my roommate's commentary.

I think coconut oil was a huge factor in finally getting rid of my candida infection, and in healing my leaky gut. It is antiinflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, and highly antifungal -- and is also purported to raise metabolism. I definitely believe the metabolism part, because I have a much higher body temperature when eating it regularly.

It was after I added coconut oil to my daily diet that my gut really turned around -- my digestion started getting better almost immediately, and has continued to do so.

Last edited by minimonkey; 06-20-2012 at 02:34 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

I've been taking my DE daily, and also using it to brush my teeth -- I love it for that! I can see how it could be a problem with enamel if used too often, especially for someone whose enamel is sensitive.

It's obviously too early to say if I am seeing any benefit from taking it, but there certainly haven't been any ill effects, so I will probably up the dose a bit --I started with a heaping teaspoon, and I will probably double that.

When I give it to my birds, it tends to make their droppings a bit loose for a few days -- hasn't done that to me, though It does seem to act a bit like fiber in the digestive tract, but hasn't caused any distress for me.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #110
Big Yapper!!!!

tobelowcarber--- OUCH about the ulcerative colitis! That is essentially what was going on with my gut when it was so inflamed -- man is it ever unpleasant!!! I am so glad you have found ways to control it without drugs!!!

I think gluten was a big player in my early development of gut issues, which got much worse after I had to take the antibiotics -- Lyme itself does a number on the gut, and the antibiotics were a nail in the coffin, as it were --- but I'd had digestive problems stemming back to childhood -- gluten sensitivity was probably always a player in that.

My mom is a big fan of natural healing and also very health conscious about eating, so I was raised with a lot of good role modeling for healing oneself and for living well... thank goodness. Neither of us caught on to the gluten thing, though, until many years later.

I was also blessed with a great Lyme doctor, who believed in adding a lot of natural treatment along with the antibiotics, and I think that made a huge difference in my recovery, too -- though 4 years on antibiotics is going to do a number on anyone's gut, no matter how much preventive maintenance one does along the way.

I actually know several people who have healed themselves from Lyme using herbs and natural methods alone (and others who have had that fail to help)-- if I ever need to re-treat, I think I may go that route myself -- but I do have to say that the antibiotics were really a G-dsend when I was at my most ill. I'd had it for years, undiagnosed, and so it was terribly tough to treat once I finally did get the right diagnosis.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

I love it when turmeric is mentioned. I just latched onto a bit of knowledge about that spice. I drink Golden Milk, well my version of it. It's magical for arthritis! To the basic, I often add chia and hemp seeds. Hemp oil and stevia and often a bit of wheat germ on occasion. Left in the frig, it makes a bit of a slurry that is a snack for me. Of course, the basic recipe is hard to beat

As an aside, care might want to be taken when drinking ACV. I've heard a straw is best due to the acid of the vinegar on the teeth.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #112
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I managed to drink 1 t of DE Monday morning but forgot it yesterday. This morning tried 2 t and "almost" got it all down. We shall see if I notice any benefits although not sure if every other day will result in any.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been wondering if I should drink out of a straw? I really want to protect my teeth. Do you think I would get the same benefit from the ACV tablets instead of drinking it?

How did you find out the diagnosis of lyme disease Mini? I bet the symptoms were pretty rough! I am thrilled you have found the right doctor and have relieved yourself of the symptoms.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I have been wondering if I should drink out of a straw? I really want to protect my teeth. Do you think I would get the same benefit from the ACV tablets instead of drinking it?

How did you find out the diagnosis of lyme disease Mini? I bet the symptoms were pretty rough! I am thrilled you have found the right doctor and have relieved yourself of the symptoms.
Huh, I've never heard of ACV tablets Interesting. I'll have to Google that ~ I bought a bunch of glass straws after getting so tired of getting them for burger places. They are great, I have a lil brush that gets them clean on the inside as well. I use them for ACV, coffee, tea, turmeric drinks (turmeric stains stuff yellow) and wine etc.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #115
Blabbermouth!!!

Carpricapers- the golden milk recipe sounds yummy. Thanks so much for sharing. I love turmeric and use it daily in cooking. I am looking forward to trying the golden milk with almond milk
Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Carpricapers- the golden milk recipe sounds yummy. Thanks so much for sharing. I love turmeric and use it daily in cooking. I am looking forward to trying the golden milk with almond milk
YW! It is so yummmm. Matter of fact I'm having it now. My knee is so much better with that in my system - takes maybe two or three days to feel the big difference. I misspoke before - it is an herb, not a spice. I made it with hemp milk before and that is great too. I need to try cow milk next.

This lists 20 other things turmeric helps.

20 Health Benefits of Turmeric
Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Sunday -- about the Lyme diagnosis -- I'd been having "unexplainable" health problems for years -- a lot of severe musculoskeletal pain, neurological problems, problems with vision, cognitive problems -- and a lot of things leading me to believe my immune system was compromised (chronic infections, etc.) I had been to countless doctors, and had gotten no answers and very little relief, Finally, in 2005, I absolutely crashed -- wracking pain, and fatigue so bad that I could barely get out of bed. I also gained about 40 lbs in just a few months without a change in my diet or much change in activity level.

At that point, I had a working diagnosis of "fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome" and a host of piecemeal diagnoses -- IBS, ulnar neuritis, and so forth. I'd also been told multiple times that it was "stress" or "psychosomatic symptoms."

I knew something was wrong on a systemic level. I finally found a doctor who took me somewhat seriously, and he was thinking I might have Multiple Sclerosis -- at least that seemed plausible to me -- so I started doing some research.

In the course of doing that, I happened upon a website that mentioned the similarities of Lyme disease and MS, and mentioned that Humboldt County (northern California) was one of the most endemic areas for Lyme disease in the US.

Well -- talk about the proverbial lightbulb going off in one's head! I had removed an adult, embedded tick from my back in 1988, in Humboldt county -- and had even had the red bullseye rash -- and the worst of my health problems started shortly after that. ( I was told, at the time of the bite and the rash, that there was no Lyme disease in California.)

Some more reading revealed to me that Lyme disease is a hotbed of strange politics and mainstream medical skepticism, and that it was best to see a specialist straight off if one had reason to believe one had it, as the testing is unreliable and subject to clinical interpretation (the politics are indescribably weird!) -- so, I got a refereral, and went to see a specialist.

My test results came back overwhelmingly positive for Lyme -- and that was that. I also had a couple of co-infections that are spread by ticks.

There is little consensus in the mainstream medical community as to whether long-term antibiotics are appropriate for late-stage lyme (again, mind-boggling politics) -- but I did enough reading to be convinced that it was the way to go -- and so I took the leap, and embarked on treatment.

I could write a book on this (and many people have done just that) -- but I hope that answers the question!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #118
Big Yapper!!!!

My personal feeling is that the acv is best consumed in the liquid form, with the "mother" in the bottle -- it is a fermented, cultured product -- though I suspect that the pills would be better than nothing. If you are worried about your tooth enamel, drinking it through a straw works well from what I have heard, and rinsing your mouth (not brushing) right afterward.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
As for coconut oil -- my roommate swears that I am likely to turn into a coconut at some point, lol! I'm limiting my intake of it on down days now, being a new JUDDDer, but when not restricting calories, I use easily 3 tbsp of it a day, and often more.
Minimonkey, many folks argue that you don't need to count coconut oil in your calories because of the way your body metabolizes it. Dottie can give you more information. I don't count it, and when I add it to my DD calories, I lose far better than I do on a DD with no CO. (ie, a DD with 500 food calories but no CO leads to less weight loss for me than a DD with 500 food calories plus 2 T of CO, for 720 calories).
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love turmeric!!! Well, the benefits of it...it tastes quite bitter to me!!!
I can even get it fresh at the Indian market...it looks sort of like ginger root.

It *is* a very potent blood thinner, though, so be sure to stop taking it a few days before any surgery or dental work, and use caution if blood thinners are contraindicated for you.

I'm surprised there is no black pepper in this recipe...it really maximizes the benefits of turmeric. And I think you'd only need a little bit--maybe 1tsp for the 1/4c of turmeric.

And if you're thinking, "Ew! Yuck! Black pepper in milk!!!"...black pepper is in masala chai, and most people like that!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6