Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #811
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I followed Morex's adventures on the Shangrila thread for a while. He lives in Mexico and was very successful. You have probably read his posts.

Good luck. Key Tones also did it for awhile here.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #812
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yes, his story is very inspiring! -75lbs in 5 months!
I got hit with TOM yesterday so I won't really be able to see what's happening for a few days. :/ But I feel good & I'm sticking with it!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #814
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Great to see you PJ, always missed you.

Hope you enjoy the Shangri-La regime.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #815

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
I am still taking it. My hair has not seen any benefits but my nails look fake because they are so long
I came back to the thread because I've been remiss in taking DE water or powder ever since a bug crawled into my water pitcher one night and I freaked out. I clean the pitcher but never put the DE back in.

My diet and habits have been poor lately, and my nails are breaking off almost everyday, no matter the length. So I should start taking my DE and eating better.

BTW, Nice photo for your AVI!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #816
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've read that it helps to oil your nails if they are breaking.
Just a drop on each one before bed, and rub it in.
I've used coconut oil, baby oil, and Burt's Bees Lemon Butter cuticle creme.

I imagine that even if the DE makes your nails stronger, it will start with new growth and that will take a while to reach the part where they're breaking!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #817

Funny thing is my nails seem to grow quite fast, but they break off so much from my chores that they are always short. At the rate I break my nails, I'd have nothing but nubs if it didn't grow as fast as I break 'em/clip 'em. I don't usually mind, except that recently they seem brittle instead of just breaking from direct force.

It's good to know that oil is good. I use coconut oil on my skin already, so I'll just pay more attention to my hands.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #818

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I would be cautious about that because of the vinegar.

I take raw cornstarch as a form of RS and you can't mix it with lemon juice or it loses its "resistant" properties and basically becomes sugar!

You can test it by mixing it up and seeing if it thickens. If it does...it's sugar! If it doesn't...it's still "resistant".
Thanks
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Borax update:
Part 1--My son has had acne for several years. It got better a couple years ago when he tried a new facial scrub, but it didn't entirely clear up. A month or two ago, he started washing his face with borax every other day, and his skin is looking much better. A few days ago I said, "OMG! You don't have acne any more!" and he said he "still had a little", and pointed out 3 or 4 pimples, each one on a different part of his face. But a few scattered pimples isn't really acne, right? It usually looks like almost every pore has sprouted a whitehead along with one or two awful purple volcanoes...so painful! Anyway, even his scarred areas are lightening up and look like they're healing.

Borax is SUPER cheap compared to any facial scrub or acne treatment out there! I use it 2 or 3 times a week, too, and my skin looks very healthy and bright even though it tends to look very dull by the end of the winter!

Part 2--I was taking a small amount of borax every day and feeling like a younger person: no achy joints or muscles, so I felt a bit more limber & agile. I haven't been taking it for a few weeks because I starting having pain in my wrist where I used to have a HUGE painful calcium deposit, and worried that if boron affects calcium absorption, maybe it was "bringing back" the lump. However, the pain is mostly in my thumb now (almost like a sprain, but there's no swelling ) and I've had it for 2 months. It's not like the "old" pain at all, and I miss how good I felt taking borax, so I'm going to try taking it again.

Cornstarch/Shangri-La update:

My cornstarch "fuel" is really keeping me full.

For example, today I only had a small piece of quiche for breakfast and 1/2 a cup of tuna salad for a snack...oh, darn it, I just remembered I also had a few walnuts, 2 turkey sausage "sticks", and a delicious fried-crunchy-spicy Indian snack along with a cup of coffee for lunch...I thought I'd gone from noonish til 10pm without eating anything, but it was more like 3pm til 10pm. Still, not bad! I only had half my tuna and didn't touch the 2 other pieces of quiche I had brought, and had my cornstarch around 4:30.

I was pretty hungry after work, and it took me almost 3 hours to get home because I made 4 stops, but it was a bearable hunger. I could have snacked on more walnuts--or those chips I got at the grocery store!--but I managed to get home and have dinner with my son. (I bought a tray of REALLY GOOD eggplant parmigiana...it was worth the wait! )

I lost a couple pounds the first week and TOM arrived; my weight was very stable for a few days and then the "other" TOM (ovulation) arrived, which is not a very good weight loss time for me. Maybe next week will be better. Or, I might try changing my medication...my pharmacy gives me one of 2 generics, and a couple of weeks ago when I was losing, I was taking "the white one"; when I started taking "the purple one" I stopped losing, but again it was TOM so not sure which is affecting me--or if it's something else all together!

I usually have a rather big dinner on workdays, but my other meals are more like snacks, and on my days off I have two medium meals and no snacks, except maybe half a sandwich before bed. Overall I'd guess I'm eating 30-50% less food with absolutely no uncomfortable hunger or feelings of deprivation.

DE update:
Still taking it buy not quite as consistently because I'm often so full from my cornstarch and don't want to guzzle down another big glass of water. But if I don't take it for a couple days, I notice that I can't make it up half a flight of stairs without my heart racing, and I have to go up & down the stairs several times a day at work.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 03-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #820
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Jenny, glad you are back. I like your style and willingness to experiment.

I am about a week into the RS and like the effects. Feel fuller and hopefully BS is going down. But I have never heard of cornstarch used as RS. Is it working for you and how long have you been using it?
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
PJ thank you so much for sharing the results of all your experiments! My 13 year old nephew has developed truly painful looking acne. I know it makes him feel socially awkward. I'm going to suggest the borax to my sister.

Intrigued by the cornstarch fuel. It sounds like it's having wonderful appetite suppressing effects.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #822
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to "see" you Jenny!

Are you making a scrub with the DE for the facial wash? Do you mix it with something?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #823
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
I am about a week into the RS and like the effects. Feel fuller and hopefully BS is going down. But I have never heard of cornstarch used as RS. Is it working for you and how long have you been using it?
I'm using it as "flavorless calories" in the Shangri-La Diet; it does have a percentage of RS, I believe, but not as much as something like Hi-Maize. I've been thinking of adding Hi-Maize but it has a bit of a flavor compared to regular cornstarch, so maybe I'll have to take it with meals or at a different time of day.

I know it's helping my blood sugar; I've tested at 85 a few times between meals (instead of 120 or so), and I sleep well with no nightmares if I take at least 4 tablespoons before bed.

I've been taking it regularly since March 8, but I discovered its sleep benefits about a year ago:
Raw cornstarch experiment, anyone? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
PJ thank you so much for sharing the results of all your experiments! My 13 year old nephew has developed truly painful looking acne. I know it makes him feel socially awkward. I'm going to suggest the borax to my sister.

Intrigued by the cornstarch fuel. It sounds like it's having wonderful appetite suppressing effects.
I hope they try it! They'll only be out about $4 if it doesn't work, and they can always add it to the laundry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Glad to "see" you Jenny!

Are you making a scrub with the DE for the facial wash? Do you mix it with something?
Borax, not DE, although the two of them together might be a good idea! I just keep a plastic tupperware container with a screw-on lid in the shower, put a little in my hand with just enough water to make a paste, and rub it on. Pre-mixing it would dissolve it, which would take away its exfoliating power, but you can also mix it with liquid soap or body wash right in your hand.

It makes your skin feel SO smooth!!! It's amazing!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #824
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try that..
Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #825

Borax:
Now both my laundry AND my face will be soft and clean!

I have this to make homemade laundry soap. Time to put some in the bathroom!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #826
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hi there - I'm so very grateful for this original thread.

I'm still taking 1 T. per day in about 16 oz. water, it's part of my morning routine to wash down my my vitamins. I put it in a big bell canning jar and have my tablespoon inside the jar so it's easy.

I'm not sure about anything else, but I can say this has really made a difference with intestinal regularity (I hope that's not an offensive term) - it literally is now down to an hour block of time in the morning, often within 15 minutes.

I'll ask my hairdresser tonight if the roots of my hair look any healthier.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #827

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have been taking my DE daily for at least a week now! Haha. More like 2, but it is hard to remember sometimes. Anyhow, I was going to post this AT the time they had this on, but was just not able to get online. A couple of weeks ago, QVC had a today's special value--it was a Saturday--from Philosophy. They are a skin care company. While I had the show on, they were talking about what was in the skin cleanser. It was DE!!!! The host was talking about it---she said "I love to say it, diatomaceous earth!" I was laughing along with her. I knew exactly what she was talking about. I was amazed that I knew that word. But they said that it makes your skin so smooth. I know you can just mix the DE you eat/ingest right along with your own skin cleanser, but if you are lazy (like me) and want to buy it with the DE mixed right in, Philosophy has a cleanser for you!!!! And fyi, I didn't buy the cleansing set they were selling. But I bet it is really nice. It has the DE in it!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #828
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Just starting using DE again. Wanted a reminder as I am so bad at remembering supplements. Also thought other newbies might be interested.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #829

I need to restart taking DE again. my nails are breaking off like really bad the past few months. I rememer to use it when the bugs eat my garden but I forget to use it myself. I had to clean out my water pitcher and forgot to add some DE back to the well. I found it easy to add it to my kefir shakes but I haven't been drinking those lately. Thanks for reminders from you all who are taking or restarting.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #830

I am on holiday in Peru and thought it unwise to travel with white powder! Missing it.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #831
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I am flying to France very soon and I plan to take my DE with me. I'll put it in a zip lock baggy and carry it with me on the plane. If they take it, they take it. I have asked if it might be a problem and they say it won't. They are concerned only with liquids, and of course anything illegal. But who knows what will happen with security at the gates. We'll see what happens.
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #832

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Kissa! Didn't want to get frisked, eh? It would be kinda tough to explain what your "dirt" was for.

Jan, good luck with taking yours. We'll all be watching to hear how that goes for future reference!

I've been taking mine nearly every day for months now, and just ordered a new 5 pound bag. This has made such a huge difference in my hair fall. I'm just amazed!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #833
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been drinking 1 T.of DE daily for a couple of months now and I've been brushing with it about once a week, not more often because of the abrasiveness.

At my visit to the dentist, she noticed quite a bit less plaque. I told her I was brushing once a week with it. I 'm waiting to go to the hairdresser to confirm on the hair - last visit, it was too early to tell.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #834

Good luck Jan, at least it isn't an expensive loss if they do confiscate it. And a French lock up is probably better than a Peruvian one, lol.

I still believe in DE benefits for so many things. My hair is certainly thicker than 2 years ago and although I put my nails through hell with acrylics and shellac they are growing apace now.

I started using a product called Flexinail when I had the false one removed and I kid you not, my nails are looking amazing. Will be three months on 27th and they are long, strong and show no signs of any type of splitting or weakness. And this while travelling. A little miracle.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #835
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dixiegal
Stats: 230/178/155
WOE: LC/JUDDD My way
Start Date: 7/7/14
Anyone mix this in a gallon of ice tea? Is so does it change the color and how long does it take to settle to the bottom. My husband has many health issues including diabetes but he won't try natural supplements so I wanted to add some to our tea. Also if I drink it in our tea can I still take it every day in my water? I don't always drink much tea. My husband however drinks about a gallon of decaf ice tea a day.
dixiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #836
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
After my problems with DE (somewhere back in this thread) I've been experimenting for months to try to find a goog IBS solution.
And for me, it's chia seeds, heaped table spoon morning and evening. They don't work if I let them Gel, only if I take dry? I do follow them with water thou.
Been doing this for months, and have had no signs of IBS in any guise.

As with everything else, a little expensive in the UK, but good old Ebay does have reasonable bulk options.
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #837
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
Anyone mix this in a gallon of ice tea? Is so does it change the color and how long does it take to settle to the bottom. My husband has many health issues including diabetes but he won't try natural supplements so I wanted to add some to our tea. Also if I drink it in our tea can I still take it every day in my water? I don't always drink much tea. My husband however drinks about a gallon of decaf ice tea a day.
dixiegal, you've been taking DE yourself for a while, right?

For the tea, what I would do is make the "DE water", where you put some in a jug of water and let it sit for a day or two (the DE will settle to the bottom). Then add that water to the iced tea. I don't know if it would be affected by being boiled, but if you make a little bit of strong tea and then add cold water, use the DE water as your cold water.

Just leave the DE in the bottom of the jug and keep adding water.

DE would definitely make the tea cloudy at first then settle to the bottom, so I doubt your husband wouldn't notice!

I'm diabetic and DE has never given me any problem. In fact, I get cramping from taking metformin and the DE has decreased it a bit. (It gets worse again if I don't take the DE for a day or two.)

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-01-2014 at 07:12 PM..
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #838
Blabbermouth!!!

Technical DE question - DE is often used as a filter...

Does it make sense not to take vitamins at the same time as the DE or am I just overthinking it?

Anxious to see my hairdresser tomorrow - it's been about 2 1/2 months, so she should be able to see something...

Nails are looking good!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #839
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
dixiegal, you've been taking DE yourself for a while, right?

For the tea, what I would do is make the "DE water", where you put some in a jug of water and let it sit for a day or two (the DE will settle to the bottom). Then add that water to the iced tea. I don't know if it would be affected by being boiled, but if you make a little bit of strong tea and then add cold water, use the DE water as your cold water.

Just leave the DE in the bottom of the jug and keep adding water.

DE would definitely make the tea cloudy at first then settle to the bottom, so I doubt your husband wouldn't notice!

I'm diabetic and DE has never given me any problem. In fact, I get cramping from taking metformin and the DE has decreased it a bit. (It gets worse again if I don't take the DE for a day or two.)
I tried DE a few years back then had a serious case of the shingles and stopped taking everything. It took me awhile to bounce back after that. I just started adding DE back into my routine last Wed.

I'll try it on the water part like you said, I just know if the tea is cloudy he'll notice
Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #840
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Technical DE question - DE is often used as a filter...

Does it make sense not to take vitamins at the same time as the DE or am I just overthinking it?

Anxious to see my hairdresser tomorrow - it's been about 2 1/2 months, so she should be able to see something...

Nails are looking good!
Good question, I'd like to know too.

Right now I get up and take my bp med, drink a cup of coffee with co, wait about an hour drink my dirt with a bit of lemon juice and take vitamins that need to be taken before meals right after with more water.... wait until I eat my first meal for the rest of my vitamins I didn't think about if they would mix well.