Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #571
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I think some people overdo it with abrasive dental pastes trying to get their teeth "white" or polished". Some people overdo brushing with tooth brushes and irritate their gums.

I've been told that the teeth remineralize in the right conditions, so that if you are not abusing them, they do recover. When I use the baking soda/salt/coconut oil blend, sometimes I don't brush again with it for a whole day, I'll just floss and maybe swish or use my terry cloth to buff my teeth or use the tooth brush and just water to get the gunk out. I don't think it's necessary to use an abrasive everyday, or if everyday, not for a long detailed brushing each time.

They say just brushing with a regular brush can do more damage after eating a meal than brushing an hour or two later.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #572
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Third day in a row that I have remembered to drink my dirt in the evening. Once I am back into the habit it will be like second nature. Tonight was easier to get it down. It gets easier each time.

Metqa - That is why I like to use my tooth soap. It is not abrasive and really cleans. I am not the best at remembering to brush with the DE everyday so it is kind of hit and miss for me.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #573
Big Yapper!!!!

This is my fourth night to drink my dirt. I barely got it down this time. I had gotten used to it but for some reason I am having problems gagging it down but I do. It will take at least a month to make a difference in my nails and hair. I quit previously because I wanted to see if the pterostilbene was doing anything for me so I stopped all other supplements.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I had terrible tooth erosion and had to get veneers and a crown. I also over brushed a couple of lower teeth to the point that they had to be filled at the base.

I have learned never to brush after eating anything acidic and not to brush too hard. So I'd be very careful with something as abrasive as DE. Perhaps use it once a week if you are prone to build up but not daily. Once erosion starts, it gets worse very quickly and the repair work is very expensive.

Low carb is great for avoiding plaque. After all, it's the sugars that cause it in the first place. Also eating all those veggies helps to brush your teeth while you eat.

My tummy is doing well. I was drinking thae DE water all day so maybe I was overdosing?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #575
Big Yapper!!!!

I never had plaque buildup problems UNTIL I started LC so it looks like it is different for each person. I have strong teeth and I am a soft brusher and with tooth soap, the DE every other day or so is looking good. My dentist also attributed the excess plaque to calcium supplements but said not to stop taking them. I am so happy that I don't have the huge amount of plaque that I usually have buildup in 6 months between cleanings. Boy is my dental hygienist going to be surprised and it will make her job easy and the pay is the same.
I am drinking my DE only at night since that is what seems to work best for me. Right before bedtime.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #576

My mouth seems to get more gunk when I've been eating badly and not much at all when I'm properly following lower carb. I can tell after I've had too much sugar/starch cause my teeth seem to be coated with wet bread almost the next day, despite brushing and flossing. They just feel gunky. So I have to brush more vigorously more often when I'm not eating right.

It must be body chemistry. I like my salt paste solution, but it's so salty bitter, that I think I'd like to try Some part of DE for it. I blend equal parts salt, baking soda, and xylitol and I powder it in my coffee grinder, then I pour a bit of coconut oil in just till it's able to be stirred and form a soft ball of paste. I would probably replace the baking soda with the DE since I don't think the alkalinity of the soda makes any difference. Do you think? or if the alkalinity does matter, maybe replace only half with DE?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #577
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I definitely get the "gunky" feeling when I eat refined carbs and sugar. But I get hard deposits on the insides of my bottom teeth when I low carb. I noticed it years ago, and mentioned it to my dental hygienist. She said she has actually noticed this phenomenon with her low carb patients. Seems as though the saliva glands under the tongue cause it right there. Funny.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #578
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I would probably replace the baking soda with the DE since I don't think the alkalinity of the soda makes any difference. Do you think? or if the alkalinity does matter, maybe replace only half with DE?
I'd do 1/2 & 1/2 at first...I think alkalinity helps remineralize the teeth?

The DE I have is so fine that I wonder if it might be less abrasive than baking soda.

DE is a common ingredient in toothpaste--but called hydrated silica.
Hydrated silica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Red Lake Earth brand that I had before was very gritty...I wouldn't use that one on my teeth!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #579

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I definitely get the "gunky" feeling when I eat refined carbs and sugar. But I get hard deposits on the insides of my bottom teeth when I low carb. I noticed it years ago, and mentioned it to my dental hygienist. She said she has actually noticed this phenomenon with her low carb patients. Seems as though the saliva glands under the tongue cause it right there. Funny.
This is very interesting. I just brush my teeth with various standard toothpastes, but I don't seem to produce plaque anymore. I used to, and the hygienist had to scrape it off with a tool. I had increased plaque when I was on low carb, but I also had a little bit before I low carbed too. Now I don't seem to make it anymore. Maybe something changes in your old age? Maybe the saliva glands you mentioned don't contain some *plaque ingredient* anymore?
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #580
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
I quit drinkin' the dirt. I thought it might be helping with my hair, but I think it was wishful thinking. Didn't see any other benefits and drinking it got harder since I saw/felt no perks. Haven't noticed any differences since not taking it, either. DH hasn't noticed any benefits, either.

Just once, I'd like to see a benefit from all the stuff I've tried that seems to help everyone else. Gah!!!!!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I'd do 1/2 & 1/2 at first...I think alkalinity helps remineralize the teeth?

The DE I have is so fine that I wonder if it might be less abrasive than baking soda.

DE is a common ingredient in toothpaste--but called hydrated silica.
Hydrated silica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Red Lake Earth brand that I had before was very gritty...I wouldn't use that one on my teeth!
Ha, my friend gave me some colgate and that was one of the ingredients, but that stuff is super smooth texture. Interesting...I think I'll leave it at BF's house so I'll have something to use when I sleep over. A jar of mystery pasty powder might not go over so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
This is very interesting. I just brush my teeth with various standard toothpastes, but I don't seem to produce plaque anymore. I used to, and the hygienist had to scrape it off with a tool. I had increased plaque when I was on low carb, but I also had a little bit before I low carbed too. Now I don't seem to make it anymore. Maybe something changes in your old age? Maybe the saliva glands you mentioned don't contain some *plaque ingredient* anymore?

I haven't had hard plaque on my teeth in years. I went to a dental student and she asked the teacher to come in and check my teeth, they were surprised at the lack of plaque both soft or hard. I'd been using baking soda regularly by then and was really into my Low carb like properly. They told me to keep doing it and not to worry about the lack of floride from not using commercial. I was actually in for a gum infection cause food got caught behind a badly done filling, but they commented that only in that spot had I a problem and even my back teeth were cleaner than standard. So I'm a baking soda/salt paste convert probably for life.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC JUDDD 1888/378
Start Date: 7/7/14 JUDDD
Decided to give turmeric a try after reading about it on here and researching it. From what I read I felt it would be a good one to take for fibromyalgia pain. After 3 days I feel I can say its not for me. I took it with my afternoon supplements and would have terrible heartburn and gas shortly after that would last through the night. Also I don't understand why since it's suppose to act as a diuretic but I'm retaining fluid to the point where its raising my pain level, my legs are rock hard from the fluid.
9/1 201
10/1.....
My 7 favorite little people call me Granny Kimmy but you can call me Kim.
dixiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #583
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
That's too bad you didn't get any relief, Dixiegal, and moreso that it seemed to aggravate your condition. I hope you recover from that experiment quickly. But now you know about turmeric. Fibromyalgia sounds truly awful. So sorry you suffer with it.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I know DE is helping my doggie with his joints. He's 13 and we had been giving it to him but stopped because we didn't have anymore of the wet food we usually add it into and his fatty tumor was way down. All of a sudden his joints got worse. He was walking all stiff-like and not wanting to jump off the bed (I had to lift him down). Now that we've started it up again, it took like a week, and he's running around again and jumping off the bed. I wish I had that kind of result when I took it for a week! Dang! But I'm glad it's helping him. Visibly different. (no placebo effect for him - he has no idea!)

@dixiegal, I bought a huge thing of tumeric pills too and I ended up with stomach aches also. Too bad, it's supposed to help arthritis pain along with fibro.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #585
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Hi, I ordered some of this after reading this thread and I have been taking a Tbs a day since last Tuesday along with my husband reluctantly I must say taking a tbs a day.

We haven't noticed anything yet other than me having a slight sore throat both of us feeling tired that is probably unrelated. But I just ran across the below warning against it. Would be interested in your views on it.

Silica - Minerals - Vital Health Zone

The first post on this forum is where the link was posted.

Diatomaceous earth/silica: WARNING - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #586
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS View Post
Hi, I ordered some of this after reading this thread and I have been taking a Tbs a day since last Tuesday along with my husband reluctantly I must say taking a tbs a day.

We haven't noticed anything yet other than me having a slight sore throat both of us feeling tired that is probably unrelated. But I just ran across the below warning against it. Would be interested in your views on it.

Silica - Minerals - Vital Health Zone

The first post on this forum is where the link was posted.

Diatomaceous earth/silica: WARNING - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards
It's interesting you posted this as I was thinking about this awhile ago. We sometimes are very quick to jump on the bandwagon taking certain supplements. We usually research it a bit, but we don't always know how things are going to react with our bodies and medications we are on.

I am currently experiencing a huge flare in my Crohn's disease. I also started taking my DE again right before it happened. I noticed in my journal, (journals are great aren't they?) the same thing when I had my last flare. I was at my GI appointment yesterday and he told me that I should not take DE after doing research on it. It is interesting that DE is reported
to have very sharp particles. The reason it is a bug killer is these particles stick to an insect and get stuck between its exoskeleton joints. As the insect moves, it gets physically cut up. Well if you have a weak gut, subject to inflammation, these particles may be too sharp or sand paper-like on the intestine causing worsening inflammation. Now I am suffering with an awful flare and it is hard to control it without major drugs.

I am not saying others shouldn't take this. I have a diseased colon. I thought I was doing a good thing trying to keep it clean along with the other benefit. I am just saying to do so with caution and if you have other medical problems, just take a look at how it could impact you too. My nutritional guru was the one who originally told me to take this. I never asked my doctor because none of them seem very in-the-know about supplements. But this time I noticed the pattern and I am going to avoid it altogether. I never saw any benefits that I definitely thought were DE related any way. So my take-away is just take heed and watch amounts and length of time you take it and maybe avoid it if you have other health issues especially IBD or IBS.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #587

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wise words Beverley. I am so sorry you are suffering with your Crohn's.

I am not planning to give up my DE but I like to be informed of ALL aspects of these supplements.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sungoddess, I am very sorry you are having an adverse reaction.

I wrote a long response last night, which disappeared when I tried to post it.

Are IBS and Crohn's different conditions?

Several people on "my" other DE thread said that DE helped their IBS.

I'm not trying to defend or push DE, but neither would I want someone to be scared of trying it because someone else with a different condition had a bad reaction to it. So I'm just trying to clarify whether Crohn's & IBS are different.

Some random facts & bits that I was trying to say last night:
I know that DE may sound scary because of its insect-killing ability...but bear in mind that while it harms insects with exoskeletons, it doesn't harm earthworms...which are pretty tiny & squishy compared to humans!

The warning you (WJS) posted is about silica in general and horsetail supplements specifically. DE is not mentioned.

DE isn't dirt or a processed chemical; it is tiny fossils.
IMO, using it as a supplement seems similar to using coral as a source of calcium.

The second link you posted was sort of in response to "my" monster DE thread:
1/2" growth per month to 1/2" in 4 days!!! - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards
(I meant for it to be a discussion about sulfur, but it morphed!!! )
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #589
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here are a few positive comments about DE from the other thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn

Hi PirateJenny, you seem to have started a mini revolution with DE. I don't honestly know if it's made a difference to my hair growth, but it's made a huge difference to me healthwise. I can now eat all sorts of things that I had to give up previously and life is now so much less complicated. This is certainly a long term item for me.

Thanks for sharing. *hug*

Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denebi
I second this! I'm struggling with food intolerances for years now and DE really helps my digestion so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme
I have IBS and/or gluten intolerance and/or fructose malabsorption, which means I often have constipation and nausea. The DE helps move everything through more quickly which means instead of being miserable for days, usually I feel better in a day or a matter of hours. It's truly been a lifesaver for me.

Just make sure you drink water with it, or you might find it constipating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swearnsue
I think the best part for me is how it has made my stomach feel better. Absolutely no indigestion or pain at night. I didn't even realize how bad my stomach was until the pain went away. I don't know why DE would have that effect but it does, for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquelines
I think DE encourages the metabolism to work better. Otherwise I couldn't explain why trying to get back to my weight I eat about 65% less than what I was eating and I don't get any weight loss and with DE I can say I was eating ... generously and I actually lost about 1 - 1,5 pounds while taking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie159
I started my DE about two weeks ago. I really wasn't expecting much, but I was willing to try anything! I really want my hair to grow faster! Anyway, I henna'd my hair April 3, and now it is May 1, and I have had a little over an inch of growth. I know this because my roots are grey. I usually get the most growth of hair in the front and crown, so when I henna just roots I only have to do all the roots every other time. This time I will have to do all the roots again! So yea.. my experience... I do get more growth with the DE!

P.S. Thank you piratejenny23!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechaGinger
Okay I'm on day 4 of DE, taking about two tsp a day now and no more headaches but I've been having to blow my nose like crazy! But I'm way more regular than I used to be and I've got a little over a quarter inch of growth in my bang area which I am super excited over! I'm sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment for proof =[ But this stuff is amazing! So happy I stumbled on this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freda
I started taking 1tbs DE 22days ago.
I have noticed a number of things

# Blood pressure is down. From consistently around 128/82, 135/87, 126/84 to consistently around 103/65, 108/68, 110/68.
# Weight is down 5lbs. Seems to work as an appetite suppressant for me.
# Skin is glowing. Commented on by a colleague. My skin care is very simple, soap and water followed by a bit of moisturiser or sun screen if sunny.

# Sleeping/energy levels no different
# Hair growth 1/2" had my hair dyed 3 days before starting DE, measurement is via the roots.
# Toilet habits, was increased now back to pre- DE levels.

For the blood pressure drop alone I will keep taking it. I had a brain hemorrhage 8 months ago and they discovered several weak areas in the blood vessels in my brain that are not suitable for fixing via surgery. It's imperative my bp stays low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechaGinger
The best thing I've found to mix my DE in is a little glass of orange juice! I can put way more DE in a smaller glass of orange juice and not taste it hardly at all, whereas with the water I'd have to mix barely a teaspoon in a completely full glass and still gag trying to get it down. Hooray!

And as for the growth factor, I had cut very short blunt bangs at the very beginning of march. I haven't been super consistent in taking the DE (a few days a week usually, not daily)but since then my bangs are now all the way down to my lips so about 4.5 inches in less than 5 months. Before I started taking this stuff I would have had maybe two inches during the time frame. And I don't even take it every day, I can't even imagine how much longer it would be if I was more consistent with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme
I'm still using it, years later, about 1 tablespoon a day. I don't measure my hair, but it is healthy, thick, and seems to grow fairly quickly. My nails are definitely the strongest and longest ever.

The real reason I keep using it is that it's the best thing ever to keep most of my IBS symptoms down. Instead of lasting many hours, days, or weeks, they can usually be made to go away in a few hours. Perhaps someday I'll get it all figured out and not need DE, but I'll probably still take it.

Good luck!

Last edited by piratejenny; 10-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: fix quotes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #590
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And from my dear buddy jojo & poster child for DE:

Quote:
I take DE and have noticed only positives; improved asthma almost non-existant, IBS much improved-more regular, more energy, better sleep patterns, moods more stable, reduced appetite as in sweet cravings, my cholesterol has reduced from 9 to 4*, my BP is now 130/70 opposed to 200/100 and I have less pains in joints and as a bonus my hair grows quicker and looks shinier.
*IDK what this means...she's British?!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #591
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon

Having reported a week ago that this appeared to be a miracle it has all gone wrong.

Changed what I was using to feed grade from food grade. Did comment the new stuff was brown not grey.
Anyway
Monday morning I found myself at A&E with what I feared was an impacted bowel. It turned out to be acute constipation and was sorted out with some large doses of Lactulose.
I didn't recognise this as I get Ibs "D" not "C"

So was it the feed grade? Too much, as I was upto 2tablespoons x2/day?

Back to normal now, but I had two days of pain the like of which I have never experienced.

Not for long!!!!!!!!!
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #592

So sorry to read this Kettleboy.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #593
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
sungoddess, I am very sorry you are having an adverse reaction.

I wrote a long response last night, which disappeared when I tried to post it.

Are IBS and Crohn's different conditions?

Several people on "my" other DE thread said that DE helped their IBS.

I'm not trying to defend or push DE, but neither would I want someone to be scared of trying it because someone else with a different condition had a bad reaction to it. So I'm just trying to clarify whether Crohn's & IBS are different.

Some random facts & bits that I was trying to say last night:
I know that DE may sound scary because of its insect-killing ability...but bear in mind that while it harms insects with exoskeletons, it doesn't harm earthworms...which are pretty tiny & squishy compared to humans!
Yes PJ, they are different. Inflammatory bowel disease is like Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. There is damage in the GI tract. IBS is irritable bowel syndrome. Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorder, meaning it is a problem caused by changes in how the GI tract works. IBS is not a disease; it is a group of symptoms that occur together. There is not damage to the GI tract.

I always hesitate to post my comments because I don't want people to feel I am trying to get them to stop taking something they like and are getting good results from. I know there are lots of people who have great benefits from it. That is why I took it. I just wanted to put out there a cautionary note that if something is going on in your system, you may not think about it being due to the DE. It didn't cross my mind as I never read any negative comments about it. But I am sure there are others out there who read this forum who have the same thing I have and I just want to alert them to be careful. Like you PJ, I am not pushing it or defending it. Just pointing out what happened to me. Putting something abrasive on a diseased colon wasn't the smartest thing I have done.
It is the way with all supplements. Some work for people, some don't. Some have negative reactions, others don't. It's just good to keep an eye out.

Last edited by sungoddess; 10-24-2012 at 02:40 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #594

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon

Having reported a week ago that this appeared to be a miracle it has all gone wrong.

Changed what I was using to feed grade from food grade. Did comment the new stuff was brown not grey.
Anyway
Monday morning I found myself at A&E with what I feared was an impacted bowel. It turned out to be acute constipation and was sorted out with some large doses of Lactulose.
I didn't recognise this as I get Ibs "D" not "C"

So was it the feed grade? Too much, as I was upto 2tablespoons x2/day?

Back to normal now, but I had two days of pain the like of which I have never experienced.
Oh no! Sorry you had to go through that. Maybe 2 Tbs twice a day was too much. So glad you are back to normal now!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #596
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not sure, mechanically speaking, how DE could cause constipation.
It doesn't absorb water or expand the way fiber does.

Of course, I'm sure it's possible and I'm not questioning anyone's experience, but I just don't know *how* it happens. (ETA: I do know that some people say they have to drink extra water when they take DE.)

Kettleboy, here in the US some of the feed grade DE has calcium bentonite added to it. Calcium is sometimes linked to constipation...and bentonite is a type of clay, which can absorb water & expand much like fiber. Is the new stuff you switched to 100% DE, or does it have anything else in it?

I'm really, really sorry that you guys are having problems. I feel so bad. :'(

Last edited by piratejenny; 10-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: ETA
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #597
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
The mechanism was; it set like concrete, i was trying to pass effectively compacted DE, which was almost jet black!
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #598
Big Yapper!!!!

That sounds like the Red Lake Earth.
DE slows me down considerable and I do have to be cautious but I have settled on an everyother day use to combat that problem.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #599
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Holy moly, the Red Lake Earth has the opposite effect on me. Best bowel cleanser ever. Amazing, how different these bodies are.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #600

PJ, don't you feel bad. You are the most kind, helpful, informative woman, and I know no one blames you for any issues DE may have caused.

As Kristen says, we are all very different.