Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Thank Jenny, I think I'll go with Permaguard.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
It'll be interesting to see if any have eliminated liver spots via DE.
CO was supposed to do it, as well, but didn't touch them.

I used grapefruit extract on a large one on my cheek. It worked!! Also got rid of a smaller one.
You have to be careful w it since it burns the skin but that's what chemical peels are all about and I believe citruscidal is used.

I'm considering that wart remover.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #483

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
The one I use freezes them. If you google it you may find info.

PJ I think they are a big freckle too. It is just that a lot of dermatologists simply freeze them off... So I thought, why not give it a go.

I have been looking at the back of my hands in different lights today and they are certainly fainter.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Anyone know if DE helps skin problems like breakouts/acne? My teen is battling her skin, and I'd love something natural to help her...
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #485

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I quit DE about a month ago when I started taking pterostilbene as I wanted the ptero to be the only supplment I was taking to see if it had benefits.

Now I know what the benefits from DE are too. My hair is starting to fly away again and my nails are soft and break easily. I am going to keep taking the Ptero since I can see that it has helped with the appetite problem I had on UD's and hopefully I can remember to start the DE again. Need to put a sticky on my cabinet where I store my supplements.
I have to do the same thing

I take so many supplements that I have to write down that I take them and when otherwise I don't remember
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #486

I take my other supplements with my DE drink, sorted.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/157/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Just chiming in that I take my DE with V-8 - it goes down easier than with water, for me. Also, I've been taking it for a month now, and I'm sure my nails are getting stronger. Also seeing hair "sprouts" so I'll keep drinking dirt
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #488

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbinca View Post
Anyone know if DE helps skin problems like breakouts/acne? My teen is battling her skin, and I'd love something natural to help her...
I googled and found lots of DE and acne info. Anything to help and prevent their lovely skin scaring. Hope it helps her.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I googled and found lots of DE and acne info. Anything to help and prevent their lovely skin scaring. Hope it helps her.
Thanks! We've been taking it for the last 2 days - hopefully it clears things up!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #490
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Thanks ladies. This is my go to place on the net for all beauty advice. You sure are a well informed lot.

I did use that freezing method for a while but I found it a bit hit and miss. Some of them went forever but some just seemed to get smeared - bigger but fainter. It was also hard to explain why I had burn marks on my hands. I might have a go with a large one on my thumb. They are only on my hands. The paler freckles on my temples can be zapped with a good peel in the winter.

Shows how much damage the sun does as I am a gardener and you can never keep sun cream on your hands like you can your face. My hands are 20 years older than the rest of me.

My nails are definitely stronger now and my hairdresser said my hair was in good condition yesterday . Normally they moan about it being so dry. While I was there I read Harpers Bazaar and they were touting some supplement to thicken hair at £60 a packet. I looked it up when I got home. It has protein, vitamin C and Horsetail. So it['s the silica that does the work and we get a better dose for a lot less.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC/JUDDD My way
Start Date: 7/7/14 LC/JUDDD
Took my first dose of dirt yesterday, mostly wanting to try it for thinning hair but looking forward to any health benefits.

2 weeks ago I started using Indian Healing Clay once a week as a face mask. I have trouble with little black heads and after 2 treatments it's really pulled them out. I mix it with acv. Which I also drink everyday.

This week I also started using a tsp of acv and a tsp of water with cotton balls as a toner after removing make up and love the glow it gives my old dull skin.

For some time now I work co into my hands and massage my scalp at night, then I work a bit through my hair put it in a loose pony tail and wash it out the next day. Works great when you have the frizzys to take a small amount rub in hands and work through hair, also does wonders for dry split ends and using to boost shine. Love it! I also use co as an all over oil after showering, brush my teeth with it and wash my face with it. Use it in my coffee every morning. Also use it as sun block.

Can't say any of these things stop the aging process but they all make me feel like I look better and as a granny to 5 and having my 50th coming in Dec I need all the help I can get in that department
9/1 201
10/1 196
My 7 favorite little people call me Granny Kimmy but you can call me Kim.
My journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-35.html

Last edited by dixiegal; 09-20-2012 at 05:53 AM..
dixiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Yes, coconut oil is great on the ends of my hair. It's also in my regular shampoo and conditioner.

The biggest difference I've made to my hair - which is long - is to use a Keratin shampoo/conditioner. After about two months my hair now dries in no time instead of hanging on to the moisture and is straighter and less fuzzy and feels stronger. Between keratin and coconut oil I am at last happy with my highlighted hair again.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
Took my first dose of dirt yesterday, mostly wanting to try it for thinning hair but looking forward to any health benefits.

2 weeks ago I started using Indian Healing Clay once a week as a face mask. I have trouble with little black heads and after 2 treatments it's really pulled them out. I mix it with acv. Which I also drink everyday.

This week I also started using a tsp of acv and a tsp of water with cotton balls as a toner after removing make up and love the glow it gives my old dull skin.

For some time now I work co into my hands and massage my scalp at night, then I work a bit through my hair put it in a loose pony tail and wash it out the next day. Works great when you have the frizzys to take a small amount rub in hands and work through hair, also does wonders for dry split ends and using to boost shine. Love it! I also use co as an all over oil after showering, brush my teeth with it and wash my face with it. Use it in my coffee every morning. Also use it as sun block.

Can't say any of these things stop the aging process but they all make me feel like I look better and as a granny to 5 and having my 50th coming in Dec I need all the help I can get in that department
Hi DG, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one using Indian Healing Clay internally. I read they couldn't market it for internal use, but that it is pure and safe. I got off schedule using it when I was out of town, so I'm counting yesterday as my restart day with it. I'm also just using it to see if I might look or feel any different.

I used the clay on my face for a while, but it was too irritating for me. I'm glad to have another way to use up that big tub of dirt, and it's going to last a long time.

Everyone & DC: I prefer to use simple, natural stuff in my personal care when I can. I don't use regular shampoo & cond. anymore, but work a baking soda paste through my hair, rinse, then spray in vinegar and work that through my hair. Then I leave it in while I shave. I rinse it out, then do a final rinse in cool water. I've been doing this since the first of July, but for a while I experimented with different methods (just using a natural conditioner, or not using the vinegar, etc.). I like this baking soda/vinegar combo the best. I don't have to use any product in my hair afterward. It ends up bringing out my natural curls very nicely, with softness and shine.

For over two years, I've been using evoo in a little spray bottle (I refill it) as my body and hand lotion. I spray it all over in the shower while I'm still wet and rub it in, then dry. I use it on my hands after every hand wash. Sometimes I blend another oil in, such as coconut oil.

As far as hair loss, I'll just say that I was starting to experience male-pattern hair loss at the front of my hair toward the temples. Since I've been lowering my fat intake, that hair is filling in and I'm no longer self-conscious about pulling my hair back. My skin is improving too, though I still need to give it some more time to say for sure that this is my "cure". I think with time, I may be able to eat more fat again, but for now I intend to keep the level on the lower end as much as I can and see where this experiment takes me. Oh, I'm not sure lowering dietary fat will help most cases of hair loss, but for those with an androgen basis, it might. It seems to be helping me.

PJ: I bought a bottle of Wild Berry powdered greens in the summer, thinking I'd take it just on days I wasn't getting in my 6 kinds of fruit/veg, but I ended up taking it everyday or almost daily. I just finished the first bottle yesterday, and my new order came this morning. I re-ordered that kind, but also got another one to try called Magma Plus. Seems like I tried it ages ago and liked it but just didn't keep up with it. I'm looking forward to trying it again.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Hi DG, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one using Indian Healing Clay internally. I read they couldn't market it for internal use, but that it is pure and safe. I got off schedule using it when I was out of town, so I'm counting yesterday as my restart day with it. I'm also just using it to see if I might look or feel any different.

I used the clay on my face for a while, but it was too irritating for me. I'm glad to have another way to use up that big tub of dirt, and it's going to last a long time.

Everyone & DC: I prefer to use simple, natural stuff in my personal care when I can. I don't use regular shampoo & cond. anymore, but work a baking soda paste through my hair, rinse, then spray in vinegar and work that through my hair. Then I leave it in while I shave. I rinse it out, then do a final rinse in cool water. I've been doing this since the first of July, but for a while I experimented with different methods (just using a natural conditioner, or not using the vinegar, etc.). I like this baking soda/vinegar combo the best. I don't have to use any product in my hair afterward. It ends up bringing out my natural curls very nicely, with softness and shine.

For over two years, I've been using evoo in a little spray bottle (I refill it) as my body and hand lotion. I spray it all over in the shower while I'm still wet and rub it in, then dry. I use it on my hands after every hand wash. Sometimes I blend another oil in, such as coconut oil.

As far as hair loss, I'll just say that I was starting to experience male-pattern hair loss at the front of my hair toward the temples. Since I've been lowering my fat intake, that hair is filling in and I'm no longer self-conscious about pulling my hair back. My skin is improving too, though I still need to give it some more time to say for sure that this is my "cure". I think with time, I may be able to eat more fat again, but for now I intend to keep the level on the lower end as much as I can and see where this experiment takes me. Oh, I'm not sure lowering dietary fat will help most cases of hair loss, but for those with an androgen basis, it might. It seems to be helping me.

PJ: I bought a bottle of Wild Berry powdered greens in the summer, thinking I'd take it just on days I wasn't getting in my 6 kinds of fruit/veg, but I ended up taking it everyday or almost daily. I just finished the first bottle yesterday, and my new order came this morning. I re-ordered that kind, but also got another one to try called Magma Plus. Seems like I tried it ages ago and liked it but just didn't keep up with it. I'm looking forward to trying it again.
I'm afraid my post wasn't clear enough by taking my dirt I mean Diatomaceous Earth Didn't know you could take Indian Healing clay internally but I will defiantly read up on it! I tend to find when I lower my fat I get dried out skin wise. Been looking into the power of berries myself I recently bought a blueberry supplement but haven't started taking it yet. I wanted to add DE first and give it a few week. I like to try new things but I only add one at a time, that way if something doesn't agree with me I know what it is.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

Well, looks like I did it again, another thread killed...sigh
Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Ah Dixie, you haven't killed the thread - weekends are always slow.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #497
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
stargazer--just a word about hands. A year or so ago there was a thread at LCF about using Amlactin foot cream (it has to be the foot cream one) on hands. I use it on my hands a couple of times a week, and once in a while my decolletage. It has done absolute wonders in removing sun spots from my hands.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #498
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
I'm afraid my post wasn't clear enough by taking my dirt I mean Diatomaceous Earth Didn't know you could take Indian Healing clay internally but I will defiantly read up on it! I tend to find when I lower my fat I get dried out skin wise. Been looking into the power of berries myself I recently bought a blueberry supplement but haven't started taking it yet. I wanted to add DE first and give it a few week. I like to try new things but I only add one at a time, that way if something doesn't agree with me I know what it is.
I have been taking about 1/4 teasp. of the Aztec healing powder in my green drink. It does say do not take internally, so I don't advise anyone to do it, but for me, so far so good. It's 100% calcium bentonite with no fillers or additives.

In my case, lowering the fat has "dried out" my skin in a good way - I've stopped overproducing oil and my face is normal-looking as far as oil balance - Not dry, not oily. In my case, eating all those fats was affecting my hormones negatively, causing the massive oil and cysts. I'm not completely clear yet, but the difference even now is remarkable.

BTW, I don't think you're a thread killer More like a thread reviver, as you can see from this one.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Not sure if I can credit this to de or not, but saw my mom and her dh today for the first time since late July. First thing he says when he sees me is, "Wow, you look beautiful. Have you done something different?" Now, besides the obvious question of what I looked like before, lol, I of course said thank you.

My mom also commented that my skin looked really good, and I had much less gray noticeable in my hair. My nails are rock hard.

I think a sun spot on my wrist is lightening too.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Not sure if I can credit this to de or not, but saw my mom and her dh today for the first time since late July. First thing he says when he sees me is, "Wow, you look beautiful. Have you done something different?" Now, besides the obvious question of what I looked like before, lol, I of course said thank you.

My mom also commented that my skin looked really good, and I had much less gray noticeable in my hair. My nails are rock hard.

I think a sun spot on my wrist is lightening too.
That's Great!
Strong nails sounds nice. mine grow but are so floppy and curve sideways!

I have a question for the thread:

Here is the idea: Brita Filter pitcher is gravity fed, so the water filters as it flows down through the charcoal, then it sits in the bottom chamber waiting to be consumed. I thought rather than pouring the water from my filter pitcher into a separate pitcher with DE, Why not just put some DE in the bottom compartment of the filter pitcher? That way the fresh water filters in, and When I pour it the DE stays on the bottom and then I refill and so on and so forth.

I thought of this because I don't think my BF will be pleased with having dirt in the bottom of the water pitcher, so since I have an extra filter pitcher, I could keep it steeping in my little fridge hidden away from company and drink my silica water privately. Also, I don't think the filter will suck up the Silica since it works from the water moving through the filter and the filter will be mostly above the water anyway.

So, What do you all think? Has anyone done this? Do you think it would work? I haven't bought my DE yet, but I wanna try this as well as taking it powdered.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #501
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I think that's a brilliant idea!!! It should TOTALLY work!!!

(PS: and you won't have to remind yourself to drink it...it will just be there in the thing you normally get water from! )

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-23-2012 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Well, after reading quite a bit on this thread, my interest has finally peaked to the point of getting some of this 'dirt'.

Another long time LCF gal and I had considered the 'dirt' a year or so ago, and dismissed it because it would be just another thing to take and we were taking so much as it was! But, this seems to have so many healthful properties, and I'm glad a friend brought it to my attention.

You gals never cease to amaze me with your valuable input, and for that, I thank you so much.

Metqa, turned out your idea is a winner after all, eh?!?

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #503

Wow, Yeah, i guess so. I'm gonna go wash my pitcher out and start making a habit of drinking from it, waiting till I get my dirt so I'll already be established.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #504
Blabbermouth!!!

Another update on the Serrapeptase.... I stopped taking it when the bottle ran out because it didn't seem to be helping anything after all. I'd thought it was helping my neck pain, but that came back after a couple weeks and persisted like usual.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I've been drinking a glass of water with 2T DE in it daily for a month now and my nails are still splitting and cracking. Ugh. They did seem to improve initially (as they did when I started CO) but now they are just as bad as ever. Though they seem to grow fast enough. Just very weak. :/
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Another update on the Serrapeptase.... I stopped taking it when the bottle ran out because it didn't seem to be helping anything after all. I'd thought it was helping my neck pain, but that came back after a couple weeks and persisted like usual.
Sorry you got no relief. I have fibro and get awful neck pain. Callanetics really help, she has a few gentle neck exercises on the 10/10 one. The first week my neck felt worse but after that I could even turn it to see behind me while driving. I have herniated disks.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Pretty much went off all supplements while treating these shingles. The meds are so strong I don't want to risk any bad interactions. Just 3 more days and hopefully I can start drinking my dirt again.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Kathy--I'm sorry your nails haven't gotten stronger.
However, since nails only grow about 1/4" (or much less!) per month, even if the DE *is* helping, I imagine the "new" part of the nail wouldn't get to your fingertips for a couple of months, if not longer?

You said you "started CO"; are you eating it, or rubbing it into your fingernails? I've heard that oiling your fingernails can make them stronger. And coconut oil has anti-fungal properties, *if* the weakness happens to be caused by a fungus.

When you are at work or at home, are your hands often wet? Do you wash your hands a lot?

I used to work in a kitchen, and with all the dishes/vegetables/etc I had to wash, my hands were constantly wet and my nails were always splitting and breaking. I had a real problem with my right thumbnail, as I used that to open cans, stem parsley, and a hundred other things...it was split down into the nail bed, and it took months to grow out even after I was laid off from that job.

I found this on ehow: "Dryness and brittleness can indicate a lack of vitamin A and calcium. Hangnails and white bands could point to deficiencies in protein, folic acid or vitamin C. Splitting nails might indicate insufficient hydrochloric acid. Excessive dryness and darkening of nails might mean an insufficiency in vitamin B-12, while white spots could signal a shortage of zinc in your diet."
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
@PJ, what do vertical lines on nails mean? like raised speedbumps from bottom to top of nails? It's on all of them but worse on thumbs and best on middle finger.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
yeah....I suppose a month isn't enough time to really make a difference. Who knows what I was doing several months ago when my current nail tips were forming. LOL On the CO....I eat a tablespoon daily. Love it. Dd suggested soaking my nails in the ACV. I have one nail in particular that constantly splits in the same spot. Seems to grow out and then bam....it splits again in the same spot.

I don't do a ton of housework or dishes but I am a soap maker and my hands get washed a lot on soaping days. But I've been doing that much longer than I've had this nail problem going on. I'm sure my hypothyroidism is a major contributor. But the other 'symptoms' from that greatly improved, if not disappeared, once I got my med. dose correct.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote