Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I just dump a tablespoon into about 8 oz of water and chug it down. Cold water is best but stil...blech.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #422
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hey, for everybody worrying about hair loss...last night I read that it can be caused by Vitamin D deficiency.

My level was very low last year: 24. I started supplementing but in the spring I stopped because I figured I'd be getting more sun. Well, honestly, I don't get out in the sun much, and my hair has been falling out for months & months...maybe since March?

Anyway, I know there are a *lot* of vitamin/mineral deficiencies linked to hair loss, but there's a lot more awareness about Vit D deficiency lately, and it's something you can get a blood test for--rather than randomly taking a lot of vitamins and hoping something works. Also, you can get liquid Vit D and apply it your scalp!!!

Vit D deficiency is also linked to insulin resistance and obesity.
Gee, they told us to stay out of the sun and now we're all getting fat and diabetic?
And they're blaming it on video games?

Taking my book out onto the deck!!! Ciao!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #423
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I quit hiding from the sun and have reversed my Vitamin D defiency to normal. With sunscreen and long sleeves and worrying about skin cancer I had really stopped getting much sun exposure. Now I sit in the sun for at least 15 minutes everyday and bask in the heat. I no longer take the Vitamin D supplements since I am no longer deficient but I also took them for about a year.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have been in a cycle of hair loss/new growth for a few weeks. I was losing handfuls. Now my head looks like a puffball when I put it in a ponytail. I haven't been taking my D because I was getting more sun, but realize now when it got screaming hot I quit going out much and didn't start taking the D again. Thanks for the reminder!! Taking my K also and starting DE again for at least a few weeks. Who has time to eat with all these supplements?
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/165/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I've been taking DE for at least two weeks now, and once or twice I've experienced pretty intense stomach cramps (they wear off within a few seconds). To be honest, it feels like I need to rush to the bathroom, but nothing actually happens! I wonder if this is part of the "cleansing" process and if anyone else has experienced it.
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
I've been taking DE for at least two weeks now, and once or twice I've experienced pretty intense stomach cramps (they wear off within a few seconds). To be honest, it feels like I need to rush to the bathroom, but nothing actually happens! I wonder if this is part of the "cleansing" process and if anyone else has experienced it.
I've had a couple episodes of that, too. I just attributed it to my insides still settling back into place.

As for the thinning hair - I've had that issue for well over 25 years. I used to have very thick hair when I was a kid. I think along with childbirth and quite a few stressful events my hair went south and just has never recovered!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
I've been taking DE for over a year now, and I still get some cramping when I take it for a few moments. I was never sure why. But it sure does clean the intestines!

I was dog sitting for my godson's dog for a few weeks, and added DE to her food. 1 Tbs for 35 pounds. When I was cleaning her doggie doo doo, I saw disgusting worms. By the end of her visit she was worm free. Yippee!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #428
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I've been taking DE for over a year now, and I still get some cramping when I take it for a few moments. I was never sure why. But it sure does clean the intestines!

I was dog sitting for my godson's dog for a few weeks, and added DE to her food. 1 Tbs for 35 pounds. When I was cleaning her doggie doo doo, I saw disgusting worms. By the end of her visit she was worm free. Yippee!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/165/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Thanks all - glad I'm not alone!!!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Thank You PJ

After reading this thread I decided to try DE. I take a lot of medication and some or all of them cause my hair to fall out. So I thought I'd try this. My family thinks I am cuh-ray-Z and specifically asked if this was something I'd learned about here at LCF.

I've only been taking it for 2 weeks today and I don't really care about hair growth so I didn't measure it or anything but I've had noticeable growth.

What I'm most happy about though is my lips. I took Accutane in high school and it destroyed my lips. Looking back on it and knowing what we know about Accutane today I wasn't even an ideal candidate for the medication at all. Just a spoiled vain teenager whose Dr would give her anything her Mom approved of. The Accutane caused my lips to peel all the time. Seriously I would wake up in the mornings and my mouth would be bright red from blood that's how bad the peeling was. The Dr said it was just a side effect and would heal up when I stopped the meds (I took them for a whole summer). I had gorgeous skin when that summer was over but to this day my lips have never recovered. They don't peel to the point of bleeding anymore but even with all the fat I eat they are always chapped/cracked. I have more lip balm type products than all the lipstick counters in a department store combined.

2 weeks of DE and my lips look and feel better than they have since the pre Accutane days. If this continues to work I'm going to have to hunt you down PJ and kiss you with my newly hydrated lips. Just kidding about that but again thanks for telling us about DE.

Edited to add: I take a heaping 1/2 tbsp a day mixed with about a half cup of Almond Milk plus something for flavoring - chocolate or strawberry syrup or a Da Vinci flavor. Stir it up chug it down and then drink a glass of water.

Last edited by Gulf Coast Girl; 08-18-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
jennifer! Great to hear about your lips! I still haven't started the DE, because of too many other supps. I can't wait to try it.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #432

oh yeah that accutane is rough stuff

wish i could get my son to try DE i bet it would help him too
Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post

2 weeks of DE and my lips look and feel better than they have since the pre Accutane days. If this continues to work I'm going to have to hunt you down PJ and kiss you with my newly hydrated lips. Just kidding about that but again thanks for telling us about DE.

Edited to add: I take a heaping 1/2 tbsp a day mixed with about a half cup of Almond Milk plus something for flavoring - chocolate or strawberry syrup or a Da Vinci flavor. Stir it up chug it down and then drink a glass of water.
Oh my goodness, I'm verklempt!!! +

Deb, I mentioned this a while back...sometimes I mix it with milk & Ovaltine. Maybe you could get your DS to try it that way?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Oh my goodness, I'm verklempt!!! +

Deb, I mentioned this a while back...sometimes I mix it with milk & Ovaltine. Maybe you could get your DS to try it that way?
he is 22 and won't try anything mom suggests(he knows EVERYTHING right now) LOL i will try again in 5 years
Old 08-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lololololol!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #436

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I really like the taste, is it just me?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I really like the taste, is it just me?
Nope,. not just you. I like it too. But then I liked school paste when I was growing up. (to eat!!) LOL
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just an update on the Vitamin D/hair loss connection:

I read that it would take a few weeks to notice a difference.
But I am pretty sure that I started experiencing less hair falling out after just 2 or 3 days!!!
(I've been taking 5000IU per day.)

I will let y'all know next time I wash my hair...that's when things usually get pretty scary.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Hi ladies, could someone tell me how to use DE for fleas? Rub on their coats? Dust the rug/furniture? When do you vacuum it up? How much? How often? For how long? I have a friend w/ 5 cats and she suddenly has a major flea infestation. I will search this thread but would really appreciate any help NOW! Thank you SOOO much!

BTW-I am ready to start taking DE again. I had some diarhea issues and wasn't sure if it was from the DE because I was also doing various other things and couldn't pinpoint why. So I stopped the other things (turmeric paste) and will see how it goes!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, you can rub it on their coats.
It's a bit messy, though...do outside, or somewhere you want DE on anyway!

I have heard that DE can damage a vacuum (maybe not something like a Shop-Vac, but a regular vacuum). So I have always thrown DE under the rugs, and sprinkled "lines" around the house along the baseboards. Definitely in their bedding, too, if they have beds.

Leave the DE around for as long as possible; 2 weeks, forever. It might look unsightly, and eventually you may want to sweep it up, but it will never stop working!

Flea traps (lamp or nightlight over a pan of soapy water) work well, too, for catching some fleas. They also let you know when the flea population is dying down! And can be used to draw the fleas to an area of less traffic.

The thing about DE, though, is that it's not quick. It has taken at least a few days to work when I've used it. But combined with flea baths, flea traps, vacuuming every day (put mothballs in the vac bag), I've gotten it under control without using chemicals.

I'm also considering buying some "Capstar" because one of my cats gets fleas ALL the time; flea drops & collars only seem to work on him for a few days. I have to give him a bath almost every week.

ETA:
Brewer's yeast in their food is supposed to make the cats taste yucky to fleas.

I also put a little DE into the litterbox so it gets worked into their fur when they scratch around. This seems to be decent prevention, but not enough on its own when there's a bad infestation.

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-20-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Thanks PJ!! I will pass on the info. Yes, it's sounds like a pretty bad case! She's hoping not only to take care of this without chemicals, but without the cost of Frontline!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have been sprinkling DE on my organic garden plants.
Now taking a tablespoon in about 3-4 oz hot water with Natural Calm.
My son was hating the taste of the DE, I didn't really care- what is one swallow of anything, right? - but the Natural Calm, even a teaspoon added, really covers the dirt flavor.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #443
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am using it on my outside kitties and I just sprinkled it on and rubbed their fur the wrong way to get it down to the skin. They didn't have any visible fleas but I did it for prevention I guess. Next I will powder my tomatoes in the greenhouse since I saw some spider mites. I will report back.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #444

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I put DE in the corners of my food cabinets. Even though I've seen roaches in other parts of the kitchen, I rarely see them in the cabinet, and if I do see one it's dead in the dust. Seems to be a good prevention there. None of my food boxes have bugs in or around them.

I'm so looking forward to getting some drinkable DE soon.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Thanks PJ!! I will pass on the info. Yes, it's sounds like a pretty bad case! She's hoping not only to take care of this without chemicals, but without the cost of Frontline!
frontline doesn't seem to work anymore anyways

but with that bad of an infestation i say DE a good topically applied flea med( i think advantage multi is what worked best lately) and a light trap i have 7 cats
flea collars are really bad to put on your cats but certainly put one inside the vacuum bag and maybe down in each piece of furniture??
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #446

Okday, so none of the stores seem to have NAY turmeric powder, but I found fresh turmeric root....

What do I do with it? All the recipes call for powder to make a paste! anyone make golden milk with fresh root?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That should be really good for you!

I would grate it, then simmer a bit in milk, if you're going to add it to milk.
Or cook it in water til most of the water steams away, and that will be your "paste".

I haven't used the fresh root for a while, but the powder stains mightily, so you might want to wear a plastic glove when you grate it!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #448

I used my faux magic bullet to pulverize it in a bit of coconut milk. So I should then simmer that yellow milk? Wow, this is going to be exciting! I'm letting it sit overnight in the milk I blended it in, I'll simmer it tomorrow.
It didn't seem to stain my fingers when I peeled it,( my fingers are already kinda orangy) but thanks for the warning.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #449

i have another questrion, The video lady said there are lots of ways to ingest this, then lists a bunch of beverages- milk, juice, shakes,yogurt,... But couldn't you put it into food. I mean if you can eat it straight off the spoon, couldn't you stir it into your vegetables or soup? If I had some cooked cauliflower couldn't I eat it with that? or does it have to be a beverage.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, it would be good in food.
It's the main spice in most curry mixes.

IMO, the flavor can be a bit overpowering, so I'd have to dilute it with a LOT of food/liquid to get a therapeutic amount. That's why I take it off the spoon.