Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
When I was taking DE in the mornings, I did not notice any appetite suppression BUT I have slowly been able to get my sugar and ice cream cravings under control since starting it so maybe it does help. I can do everything perfect all day but have NO control over ice cream. I had some cajeta yesterday that I made with my goat milk and I was satisfied with enough to dip my apple slices into. NOW That was an accomplishment with sugar and me.
I didn't realize I had lost my "halo". I did not know there was a name for little frizzy hairs all around my face. Not sure when they disappeared since I just noticed they weren't there this past weekend. Sure looks better to me.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I'm finding I'm not hungry. Is this a known side effect?
For some people, yes!
On "my" monster DE thread on the hair care board, a lot of people reported less appetite, losing 5-12lbs unexpectedly.

Since it made me sleepy, I got in the habit of taking it at night.
I never noticed much affect on my appetite. I wonder if taking it during the day would be different.

I just read the last couple pages of the thread and a couple people reported being able to eat foods they had previously been "sensitive" to, because their digestion has improved!

Also, several commented that DE helps with PMS/TOM symptoms, pain, constipation, etc. One even mentioned that she takes a little bit whenever she starts to feel cramps, and that they go away in a few minutes.

I hope my halo gives you a laugh:
(this is from Feb 2010)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halo.jpg (30.2 KB, 31 views)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #363
Big Yapper!!!!

PJ -Looks just like I used to except those hairs look blonde on me since I am a redhead and turning gray equaled turning blonde. My older brother looks like beach bum with platinum blonde hair since he was a redhead too. Mine is not as pretty a shade of blonde as his. Darn.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Thank you! I am going to try the Berry Green.
I really love Vitamineral Green and Pure Synergy. I alternate between the 2 :-)
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #365
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
I have not read this whole thread but I just recently started taking this to hopefully help with my thinning hair. 15 drops in 8 ounces of water twice a day. Any thoughts on this brand? It was highly recommended to me by fawn.

Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
OMG, maybe this will help my acne -- I have tried everything I could think of to get it under control! It isn't constant, thank goodness, but when it does break out I get the motherload of cystic acne outbreaks -- I am in the late healing stages of one right now, that was brought on by my last cleanse.

Between the JUDDDing, several skin supplements, low carb, and good skincare -- you'd think this wouldn't be a problem... but stress and hormones are the big culprits here -- and a cleanse is almost a guaranteed breakout for me.

I am actually going to try a facial with the DE as soon as the skin calms down a little more.
I hope this works for me and my 18 year old son! We are both the victims of some lovely inherited acne (thanks Mom!!)...I'm 46 and still break out like a 16 year old!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #367
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
For some people, yes!
On "my" monster DE thread on the hair care board, a lot of people reported less appetite, losing 5-12lbs unexpectedly.
Jenny can you post a link to this monster thread?

My hubby is still taking the DE, going on 3 months now. His heart rate, which was already low, has gone down a bit. No help w/ the arthritis though. He still has pretty debilitating back & ankle pain.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
Start Date: 7/7/2013
I am usually a lurker instead of a poster, but I wanted to report on my DE results.

I've been taking DE for 2.5 months now. And have seen substantial improvements in hair and nails! I admit it was weird thinking about taking DE cuz of all it's uses and such. And at first, it was hard to drink it down but ladies I am well past that now. I take 1-2 tablespoons per day, in Kool-aid, and drink it with a straw.

My background: post-menopausal, hypothyroid, puny hair for all my life is now even more puny!

I have taken biotin and evening primrose oil for years and never thought it helped out that much hair-wise but continue to take it "just in case."

DE has really made a difference for me! Finally something that makes a noticeable difference. I used to have NO hair on my arms! But now, I see lots of tiny hairs popping up all over. The same is true the hair on my head. The new ones are about .5 to 1 inches long. And there less hair falling out when I shower (but I've only seen this improvement for about 2 weeks). So I wouldn't expect immediate results.

I'm sold on DE and a BIG shout out to piratejenny for starting this thread cuz otherwise I would have never known!

These are my changes: noticeably MORE hair and less in the shower, nails growing faster, better digestion. I also think it improved my sleep. Today, I go in for blood work and I will report back any changes in cholesterol as mine is usually on the high side (220).

I hope this helps anyone considering DE!
LowCarbMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #369
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I have not read this whole thread but I just recently started taking this to hopefully help with my thinning hair. 15 drops in 8 ounces of water twice a day. Any thoughts on this brand? It was highly recommended to me by fawn.

I don't know anything about that type of silica since I am drinking DE. Sorry I am no help.

Lowcarbme - thanks for chiming in. I am gald to see that you can tolerate up to 2 T per day. I am currently drinking 1 T but was considering drinking it am and pm and 1 T each. Glad someone else is benefitting from the DE.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
I haven't visited this thread in a long time and was wondering what the consensus is on the best brands, maybe the top 3 or so according to price.

After the surgery, my hair was coming out like crazy and it's already way too thin! That has slowed way down, thankfully.

Thanks in advance
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #371
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dreamchaser, I have heard great things about Cellfood for years. I'm sure there are extensive reviews on other sites.

Heidi, it starts off talking about MTG & sulfur. IIRC, I caught a good bit of flak for posting about "eating dirt" and there might not be any intelligent discussion or positive feedback for a few pages!
1/2" growth per month to 1/2" in 4 days!!! - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards
(for your hubby--maybe we can start a thread on arthritis help?)

LowCarbMe, so glad it's helping you! Thanks for letting us know.

Vanilla, PermaGuard is the biggest brand in the US that I know of. A lot of companies with "healthy"-sounding names are just re-packaged PermaGuard (which comes in 50-lb sacks). So I just look for whatever is "food grade" and cheapest w/free shipping from Amazon, lol. I recently bought "PureEarthD".

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-26-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #372
Big Yapper!!!!

Mine is EarthWorks Health and it states that it is re-packaged PermaGuard. I drink it and use it on the LGDs (Livestock Guardian Dog) in case they might have fleas. LGD's are not real socialized to people so I really can't handle them enough to see so I just pet on their head as I sprinkle DE all along their back. Otherwise they won't stand still long enough to do anything. I never see them scratching so that is a good thing.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, ladies!

PJ, did you see my post to you on the thin hair thread? I found, I think, what your grandmother used.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Just ordered a 50 lb bag from our feed store which should be here next Friday. Doubled checked and it is Perma-Guard with nothing added. I'm anxious to try it and knew we had some in the barn.....but dd said I might want a 'fresh' bag. LOL
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #375
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
PJ, did you see my post to you on the thin hair thread? I found, I think, what your grandmother used.
Yes--I Googled and they must have changed the packaging.
It's Nature's Plus Ultra Hair for anyone who's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
Just ordered a 50 lb bag from our feed store which should be here next Friday. Doubled checked and it is Perma-Guard with nothing added. I'm anxious to try it and knew we had some in the barn.....but dd said I might want a 'fresh' bag. LOL
Whoa, 50lbs!!! That's...a lot!!!
You ought to have Rapunzel hair by the time you get through that bag!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
LOL....it's not all for me! We regularly use it in our animal feed. Dd changed the order to 2 bags when she heard I was ordering it. LOL I fill a few quart jars with it to keep in the house so it doesn't get contaminated out in the barn.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/162/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Quote:
Yes--I Googled and they must have changed the packaging.
It's Nature's Plus Ultra Hair for anyone who's interested.
I ordered some the other day when you were talking about it - thanks...I'm excited. With the DE, the Nature's Plus and finally getting back to Synthroid rather than the generic thyroid medication I was on for a while...I might get Rapunzel hair too
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I've been taking horsetail for silica and then switch to DE. Today I noticed lots of new little hairs round my hairline and my eyebrows seem to have more fine hairs. Still waiting for my nails to harden. They have a tough life. Yesterday I was cleaning and cooking and that means washing your hands and having them in water half the day. Then I did a couple of hours heavy gardening. No wonder they break!
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Hi ladies! Thought I would chime in after lurking for a couple of weeks! About 3 weeks ago I noticed my hair coming out at alarming amount (pretty suddenly,too) I happened upon this thread and decided to try the DE. I also mixed in the turmeric paste. Just shot it all down (1 t. turmeric paste and 1 t. DE mixed in Crystal Light). Here's what I noticed...

Still losing hair alarmingly and after about 2 weeks MAJOR diarhea for 4 days in a row. BUT my BP seemed to go down a bit from mid 140s/high 90s to 132/84.

So I quit the DE/turmeric mixture and started taking Biotin (for the hair loss). I realize I'm stopping and starting many things so with that many variables I may never get to bottom (no pun intended) of the diarhea (which has stopped BTW) and I didn't give the DE a long enough timeframe to work for the hair loss.

So that all being said I felt some cramps coming on as TOM is due. So I shot down 1 t. DE to see if that would alleviate the cramps.

I guess I'll never know with all this switching up, but I panicked with the hair loss! Anybody have any thoughts?
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I shed hair more at certain times of the year. As long as it leaves you with a good head of hair it might just be this seasonal fluctuation.

Other causes are low iron levels and weight loss so if you are overdoing the calorie restriction, especially of iron rich foods that might well be the reason. If non of those apply you should get your thyroid checked.

Not sure of your age but if you are into the menopausal age range be aware that lowering estrogen will cause hair thinning. How much seems to vary in the individual. Some of us have scalps that are more sensitive to androgens - just like balding men, and the lack of estrogen can show this up.

Lastly, some women find that long term use of conditioners etc with heavy silicones makes their hair break off. It would be informative to see if the hairs you lose have the root attached or are breaking lower down. If that's the case its simple to switch to no sulphates and no cones hair products.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, PJ, may look for that next time I go to the Shoppe.

So, we decided to stop by a feed store and found the food grade DE. Before I could even tell the checkout clerk what I was buying it for, she began singing the praises of DE for both animals and people.

Got a 10-lb. bag, with tax, for $10 and some change. Hope DH and I see some help in various areas. He was excited to see what this stuff could help. We're starting out with a tsp./day, but I've already upped mine a little since I didn't notice any adverse effects. Giving to our dogs as well.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Quote:
(for your hubby--maybe we can start a thread on arthritis help?)
For me, too!

I'd certainly like to know what people have found helpful in the fight in joint pain. I was looking at the serrapeptase enzyme supplements but I have issue with remembering to take anything 2 hours from meals. I have a hard time with remembering to take my supplements as it is!
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:40 AM   #383

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I ordered some, just one pound and it is sooooo expensive, you don't want to hear. Not many animal feed stores in London.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I shed hair more at certain times of the year. As long as it leaves you with a good head of hair it might just be this seasonal fluctuation.

Other causes are low iron levels and weight loss so if you are overdoing the calorie restriction, especially of iron rich foods that might well be the reason. If non of those apply you should get your thyroid checked.

Not sure of your age but if you are into the menopausal age range be aware that lowering estrogen will cause hair thinning. How much seems to vary in the individual. Some of us have scalps that are more sensitive to androgens - just like balding men, and the lack of estrogen can show this up.

Lastly, some women find that long term use of conditioners etc with heavy silicones makes their hair break off. It would be informative to see if the hairs you lose have the root attached or are breaking lower down. If that's the case its simple to switch to no sulphates and no cones hair products.

Hope that helps.
Stargazer, thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. Yes, I am menopausal, so hopefully that is the reason for the hair loss. I don't seem to have thyroid issues according to my tests. I tried looking at the hairs that came off in the comb and it's hard to tell, but I don't think I saw many roots!! I'll try the hair products you suggested. What does "no cones" mean?

So, the diarhea issue...it went away when I stopped taking the DE. Yesterday I took 1 t. DE to see if it would help with some cramps (it didn't) and a couple hours later I had diarhea again Sorry if this is TMI for you but does anyone else have this problem? I usually have the opposite problem!!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #385

Okay, are you ready for this, $17.50 for 1lb.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"No 'cones" means no anything with the suffix -cones; silicone, etc
Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG Kissa!!!

I got 10lbs for $17.88, and I've gotten it even cheaper!
However, when it's in smaller packages it's more expensive even around here.
I have seen some companies call it "our all-natural flea killer" and sell it for shameful prices.

Did you order it online?

No feed stores in London--lol!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #388

Yes, on line. I will keep digging to see where I can buy if off the shelf, so to speak. I am almost hoping it does nothing for me, lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #389
Big Yapper!!!!

Kissa - A pound will last a long time though. I had to buy 10 pounds and I haven't made a dent in the bag even with putting it all over my two big livestock guardian dogs and taking 1 T per day for almost 6 weeks now.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #390

That's a relief Adi, I did find a cheaper on line supplier today, so if I do need more I have that site bookmarked.

Also Adi, I want to congratulate you on your great weight loss this month, I was looking at the daily weigh in thread as I do at the end of each month. Brilliant.