Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I would think anywhere in a closed car in the hot sun would kill anything, It gets super hot in a closed car.
In some of the readings I have done on DE, people were actually sprinkling DE on their mattresses. I didn't see it mentioned but if they were using a mattress cover the DE would be contained. Not sure if I want to go that route but I use DE for insects on my plants and it works.

Now I have a question on DE usage. I have been drinking 1 T every morning and have not noticed any effects. Should I take another 1 T in the evening or can I get too much of this stuff?
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Ah, I wondered if it would ruin my luggage to sprinkle DE inside? I love the idea about the black trash bags and then placing in our garage. It gets very hot in the garage. Or maybe in my trunk as well? I know it gets hot in the trunk of our car. Thanks Jenny!
If you use your car as a bug oven, I would *still* put each piece of luggage in a tightly closed trash bag. As the car heats up, the bugs might march out of your luggage and burrow into somewhere that's cool enough for them to survive. If the luggage is in a bag, they'd be trapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
In some of the readings I have done on DE, people were actually sprinkling DE on their mattresses. I didn't see it mentioned but if they were using a mattress cover the DE would be contained.
A couple of times that I have had flea infestations, I sprinkled DE on the mattress cover then put a sheet over it (my cats sleep in my bed sometimes). If you put it directly on the mattress, you might never get it out. My neighbor (same one I mentioned earlier) bought the "wrong" kind of DE* and her mattress got sort of stained; the vacuum just won't get it all out. Personally I don't care about this type of thing, but my mattress cover is very difficult to take off anyway, so I didn't bother!

*the kind that is meant to be added to animal feed and has calcium bentonite in it...it might still work for bugs but is coarser and darker than the PermaGuard-type that is 100% DE.

Quote:
Now I have a question on DE usage. I have been drinking 1 T every morning and have not noticed any effects. Should I take another 1 T in the evening or can I get too much of this stuff?
I think you could try another spoonful. As far as I know, it doesn't stay in your body or build up to toxic levels...any extra will be eliminated.

Do you remember it being mentioned upthread somewhere that if you put DE in water, let it settle, and drink the water, the silica is absorbed better that way? Maybe try that, and see if you notice anything.

I have made a bottle but I keep forgetting to drink it, so I can't vouch for it!

Or maybe you're not noticing a difference because you are so darn healthy already?!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #273
Big Yapper!!!!

I have a quart jar that I put DE in and it has settled out but I still keep forgetting to drink the water.
Maybe I am healthy and don't really need it but I have read so much about the body's need for silica that I will keep using it. At my age I need all of the help I can get.
Thanks for the response.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
Hi Sophie,
this report could help you plan the party....It cracked me up.

Meteorologist goes viral with phony apocalyptic forecast | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
Loved it, Frances!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just realized...my scalp is still doing really well. Very smooth, not itchy.

After I gave the credit to turmeric, I realized I had also started taking Benadryl a few nights a week to fall asleep (doc's suggestion). Possibly around the same time as the turmeric, and it can reduce inflammation & itchiness. But I haven't taken the Benadryl in at least a week, and I'm still doing the turmeric most days (prob 5 days a week...sometimes I forget), so I think that's it.

I also forgot to take DE the last 3 nights...I think I haven't been sleeping as well. Wake up groggy and sleep a couple hours more than usual. That might sound like a good thing, but I think that when I sleep deeply, I also tend to wake up earlier.

And a random note (I think I ought to start a journal, to keep track of everything )...a couple weeks ago, I got lazy about the hibiscus tea I was drinking every day for my blood pressure. TOM arrived, and I went up 4lbs in 2 days. Then TOM left but the weight didn't. I started drinking the tea again, and the 4lbs seem to be gone! Of course, I am just back to where I was before TOM...no progress...but I think I can say goodbye to those dastardly 4lbs!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-08-2012 at 07:35 PM..
Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Hi,
If I may join in, I got the DE from MoreThanLife and started it last week. I'm glad I saw this thread. Pirate Jenny, good post on letting it settle on the bottom before chugging it. I'll try that.

Adelle - On the MorethanLife website, I think it says to wait a month for it to take effects. But I'm the same as you - 1 week and nothing so far. I'm taking it religiously every morning after my coffee, thinking that my body temp will go up and dissolve the silica I'm about to take, if that makes sense

I've been having unexplainable bladder/yeast infections for years now. I understand it helps w/candida. Also, I have not been able to lose weight on "any" diet. Candida, parasites or plain hormones leading into meno? Who knows? I'm doing the process of elimination (no pun intended).

I have shared it with my friend and has reported more bathroom bouts than ever. It sounds like "die off" to me or just plain overeating. I have not experienced that -a regular trip at the regular time.

I am interested in everyone's post that has tried it to see the their experiences. TTL!

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 07-08-2012 at 08:47 PM..
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Linda!
I'm glad you found us...I hope DE makes some changes for you!

I'm not sure what you mean by "letting it settle on the bottom before chugging it".
I actually do the opposite; I stir it and then chug it quickly BEFORE it can settle!

With the "settling" I was talking about a few posts up, I mean when you put some in a big jar or bottle, let it sit for several hours or overnight, then pour out some water to drink (without disturbing the stuff on the bottom). Some people say you absorb the silica better this way.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Hi,
Also, I have not been able to lose weight on "any" diet. Candida, parasites or plain hormones leading into meno? Who knows? I'm doing the process of elimination (no pun intended).

I have shared it with my friend and has reported more bathroom bouts than ever. It sounds like "die off" to me or just plain overeating. I have not experienced that and a regular trip at the regular time.

I am interested in everyone's post that has tried it to see the their experiences. TTL!
Welcome Linda! I am wondering about your candida and if you have tried Coconut Oil? I take between 1 & 3 tbsp per day. I have never suffered with candida, but did read in the "Coconut Miracle" by Dr. Bruce Fife that candida dies with adding coconut oil to your diet.

Nature’s Candida Cure: Coconut Oil Solves Yeast Problems
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Do you remember it being mentioned upthread somewhere that if you put DE in water, let it settle, and drink the water, the silica is absorbed better that way? Maybe try that, and see if you notice anything.

Hi PirateJenny,

Thanks for the welcome. Yep, I was reading the exerpt you wrote (above) about letting it settle. I tend to put the DE in the 8 oz glass, fill it w/spring water, stir it and gulp it down without waiting. If a little sentiment is left, I add a little water and drink that down. I thought you meant to let it sit a little before chugging to let the silica dissolve first.

Okay, gotcha, thanks for clairifying that.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 07-08-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Welcome Linda! I am wondering about your candida and if you have tried Coconut Oil? I take between 1 & 3 tbsp per day. I have never suffered with candida, but did read in the "Coconut Miracle" by Dr. Bruce Fife that candida dies with adding coconut oil to your diet.

Nature’s Candida Cure: Coconut Oil Solves Yeast Problems
Hi Sunday! Thank you for the welcome.

Yes I have heard of it and did it for a while - taking 1 T a day plus cooking w/it. There is a substance called caprylic acid in coconuts that kills off candida but not sure what doseage of CO you need for it to be effective. In the meantime, the calories add up. I take Caprylic Acid in tablet/supplement form when I notice it getting real bad and it seems to help some.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #281
Big Yapper!!!!

Linda - I did a get rid of Candida protocol years ago and the ingredient of choice at that time was oil of oregano. Under the tongue or it burns like hot sauce. Have no idea if it actually works or not but I did it religiously. Coconut oil is too high in calories for me to take 3 T a day plus it makes me so sick at my stomach. I can't even smell it anymore without getting nauseous.
Oh what we do to try to be healthy. Drink dirt, eat oil.....
Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Coconut oil is too high in calories for me to take 3 T a day plus it makes me so sick at my stomach. I can't even smell it anymore without getting nauseous.
Oh what we do to try to be healthy. Drink dirt, eat oil.....
I never eat more than 1 tbsp at a time.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I never eat more than 1 tbsp at a time.
I have never tried more than 1T at a time either. I can't even gag down 1/2 t anymore. I used to be able to but no more. Even the smell makes me sick. Guess I can save that money since EVCO isn't cheap.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adillenal - Thanks for the tip. I never tried Oil of Oregano. Hmmm - I like hot sauce

Has anyone experienced more (gas) while taking this? I have but not excessive *yet*. I am thinking that's a sign my intestines are getting cleaned out. I googled it but couldn't see anything on about that.

PJ (can I call you that?) - Did you ever take Melatonin for a sleep aid? I started a couple of months ago and it works for me so far. Benedryl definitely gets me to sleep but I get groggy/lazy even in the next day.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
A few months ago, Metqa (Queen of the CO) explained the MCTs (medium chain fatty acids/triglycerides - about 60% of volume in CO) are absorbed into the bloodstream directly out of the tummy. And, some people's tummies can handle that, and some people's tummies cannot. I ate 1 (or more) Tb of CO with every meal for years without noticing anything except the good things. Then, about a year ago, it started triggering something very close to a really bad acid reflux attack. I stopped eating CO for months then tried again - same problem, days of pain. So, while I still oil-pull and slather CO all over, I am going to wait until next summer before I try eating it again.

Because the MCTs bypass most of the digestive process, a significant portion of the calories in CO never make it to the liver and get stored as fat. Because CO is thermogenic, many/most of the calories burn up (and take some additional cals with them) and do not get stored as fat.

When I was eating the stuff, I figured 50% of the calories on the label. But a lot of people don't count the calories at all and get no nasty surprises when they weigh.

SIGH. I really enjoyed the taste!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
And, Linda, I bet unexpected/unexplained gas does mean DE is beginning to have an impact. Let us know (sorry, this was just too tempting) how it all comes out.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
PJ (can I call you that?) - Did you ever take Melatonin for a sleep aid? I started a couple of months ago and it works for me so far. Benedryl definitely gets me to sleep but I get groggy/lazy even in the next day.
Yes, PJ is fine, thank you! I prefer it; I get confused when people call me Jenny, because that's not my real name!

I have some sleep formulas that contain melatonin but they only help me fall asleep, they don't help me stay asleep (unless I am really, really tired). Melatonin by itself doesn't work for me, and I feel very groggy the next day.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #288
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Adillenal - Thanks for the tip. I never tried Oil of Oregano. Hmmm - I like hot sauce

Has anyone experienced more (gas) while taking this? I have but not excessive *yet*. I am thinking that's a sign my intestines are getting cleaned out. I googled it but couldn't see anything on about that.
I am starting my third week of DE every morning and I am not having any of those symptoms. That is why I was questioning if it is doing anything since I haven't noticed any changes of any kind. Would welcome something so I could justify to myself drinking dirt every morning.
I was hoping for regularity.

Last edited by adillenal; 07-09-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, you could always stop taking it for a week and see if you notice anything. Sometimes it's easier to notice the things that bother us than the things that don't, IYKWIM.

For me, sometimes things get better slowly, and I forget that I even had that problem until I come across something that reminds me of it.

For example, I have tinnitus. It comes and goes...I don't really notice when it's gotten better, I only notice when suddenly it starts up again! Then I have to try to figure out if there's something I'd been doing but had stopped recently that *might* have affected it!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #290
Big Yapper!!!!

I have energy today and on UD's I am usually dragging so maybe I can credit the DE. Anything is an improvement. I agree that sometimes we don't notice a change until we miss something.

I am also feeding it to my goats on the milkstand to see if the ones that are getting it have less of a worm problem than the others in the same pen. They don't get much since they tend to eat around it but twice a day they do get a little. My little experiment. Some goat raisers swear by DE and others just laugh at the idea. I am always open to new ideas. I use the Red Earth kind with my chickens.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Quote:
I have never tried more than 1T at a time either. I can't even gag down 1/2 t anymore. I used to be able to but no more. Even the smell makes me sick. Guess I can save that money since EVCO isn't cheap.
I take it by just swallowing the lump without letting it melt - then follow with a beverage, even water. I can do a huge TBL this way. Without folloing with a quick drink - I could not do it happily at all.
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
And, Linda, I bet unexpected/unexplained gas does mean DE is beginning to have an impact. Let us know (sorry, this was just too tempting) how it all comes out.
I shall do that!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
This is my third week of upping my CO to 2T per day (had previously been trying to get at least 1 T per day in my food but not making it a priority). And I think it's doing something. I am much warmer than usual, even sweating during workouts that previously I did not...and just sweating in general from being hot. Before I rarely broke a sweat unless I was out in the hot sun doing something.

The first week was my best week ever keeping my weight down in the low 120's. Something I have been trying to do but never managed a full week of (I'm in maintenance). And one day I hit a new low of 119.6.

Then last week I started at 120.2 and despite having 2 way, way, UUAADs (my birthday and then the holiday) I started this week .5 pound less. And today I am in new territory dipping to 117.2! (And just for fun I weighed after working out......a very dehydrated 116.2....but it was fun to see. LOL)

The only difference I can figure is the coconut oil. My eating is the same. I have changed my exercise a bit by adding in some biking as I am able but I hardly think it was enough to compensate for all those extra calories last week and at the same time I am cutting some of my walking.

I freeze my CO in 1T portions in little plastic cups so it pops right out. And I just eat it straight no problem (usually before a meal) and actually like the texture and the taste isn't bad. But sometimes I have the 'crack' and am really loving the ones I mix with real PB and some extra nuts. Oh my.

So now I need to refigure my calories 'cause I don't want to lose more weight. I want to maintain in the 118-122 range.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Kathy, very cool. Thanks!
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post

So now I need to refigure my calories 'cause I don't want to lose more weight. I want to maintain in the 118-122 range.
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for reporting back to us! I am experiencing some warmth also as well as losses, that I believe could be aided by the EVCO.

I just recently talked my 74 year old mom in to taking this daily for alzheimer's and dementia prevention. She doesn't need to lose weight, and in fact, she could stand to gain weight. She is very frail. So I am mixing her fav peanut butter and hwc into her cocoa crack. I am thinking also about adding a few mac nuts or walnuts as well. I want her to enjoy, but do not want her to lose any more weight!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for reporting back to us! I am experiencing some warmth also as well as losses, that I believe could be aided by the EVCO.

I just recently talked my 74 year old mom in to taking this daily for alzheimer's and dementia prevention. She doesn't need to lose weight, and in fact, she could stand to gain weight. She is very frail. So I am mixing her fav peanut butter and hwc into her cocoa crack. I am thinking also about adding a few mac nuts or walnuts as well. I want her to enjoy, but do not want her to lose any more weight!
You should look for posts further back about Golden Milk (I posted a video on how to make it - simple and quick.) It is believed that turmeric helps a lot against alzheimer's and dementia prevention. Plus as women we can use the calcium.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Subbing....
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricapers View Post
You should look for posts further back about Golden Milk (I posted a video on how to make it - simple and quick.) It is believed that turmeric helps a lot against alzheimer's and dementia prevention. Plus as women we can use the calcium.
Thanks capricapers! I did read this and have been taking a tumeric supplement. I will also try making the golden milk for my mother. Really appreciate this advice!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks capricapers! I did read this and have been taking a tumeric supplement. I will also try making the golden milk for my mother. Really appreciate this advice!
Oh gosh glad to help - these threads have taught me so much - just want to do my part. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just an observation about the Diatomaeous Earth that I've been taking for 1 week now....drink lots and lots of water 100 oz for me or I do not go. It tells ya to drink lots of water but I work and sometimes get too involved to remember.

But this thread gave me an idea....take Coconut oil as well and let it do it's thang...like a lube job. Slip sliding away Sry, TMI.