Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Any former lc-ers that do JUDDD with no carb counting?

I've tried to read as many of your stories as I could and I'm finding the majority still do low or moderate carb, even on UDs.

Would like to hear from anyone who doesn't count their carbs anymore, successes, trial/error, etc.
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I never, ever counted carbs! But I've done low carb all my life!!! I started w/ Stillman's QWL when I was 15 and I lost 55 pounds in one summer and kept it pretty much off all my life. Just followed the book and if the scale went up 5 pounds, I went back to the plan. Only eat lean protein until you are back at goal weight.

I started gaining when I turned 50, had a serious back injury that sent me to hospital in an ambulance and kept me from exercising for months. menopause had to hit right at that time. Yuck!

Finally meno over, no more hot flashes, thank the Lord!!! and then I found Dr. Dukan's book and started that Aug. 1, 2011. Still no carb counting. Just eating pure protein and FF dairy.

When I found JUDD I couldn't believe it! Really, I could not!!! But now I'm a believer.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I used to count carbs. But, when I think about it, that has stopped.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Msevon2
I used to be low carb also. But figured since this diet is not based on carbs, good time to see if I can eat what I want and still lose weight. This is day 13 and down 7 lbs already. I had been stuck so long doing low carb and denying myself. Today is dd so will be good til tomorrow. I did think about doing low carb, but when I plugged in my low carb info into sparks people, i was not eating enough calories. And this is based on calories. Good luck.
Msevon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I started JUDDD 24 days ago. I had been on my second try at low carb and not losing for about a month. I said I was going to watch my carbs but after the first day I stopped. I've been eating all kinds of crap in addition to lots of healthy carbs. I've lost 4.5 lbs and even got past the # on the scale my body seems to get stuck at. The first time I did LC I had to work really hard, even doing vlc, to reach that number and it was only for 1 day. JUDDD with no carb counting got me past it!
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I lost 13 lbs in 6 weeks with Atkins starting in October, 2011. I took a weekend off between Atkins and JUDDD, ate anything I wanted, gained almost 3 lbs back, then started JUDDD 12/12/11. I used that weigh-in as my "JUDDD starting weight" and have lost over 39 lbs in just over 3 1/2 months. I eat whatever I want including plenty of healthy carbs, as well as not-so-healthy choices. I enjoy bread, chocolate, wine, but also eat lots of veggies and proteins.

For me, the mental issue of adding carbs back slowly would have been too much. I would have obsessed over every little food choice. I knew I wanted to be able to enjoy bread and pasta, so I jumped right in with both feet. There are others who have had success staying LC, and others still who have added carbs back very slowly, also with great success.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/150/162
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
i lc'ed and vlc'ed last years until October and went to Judd and lost 7 quick ones w/o counting carbs-fell off royally and started back in late Feb but I don't count carbs and eat flour and sugar. I know I shouldn't but I do.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I admit, without counting carbs I do usually tend to have small portions of refined/starchy/sweet carbs. But that is because I love meat and veg and fat better. If I do fall in love with a carb (creme brulee , bacon-cheddar-jalapeno cornbread) then I count calories only.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I have low carbed in the past, but right now I'm enjoying eating foods without any restrictions other than calories. I'm glad that I got into low carb and the science behind it, I do believe that refined sugars are bad and that I'd be better off without bread... I do believe that low fat isnt better. But even knowing these things I still love a good crusty bread, and a good fettuccine alfredo! So I'm glad that I have the knowledge in the back of my little brain, but for now I choose to not restrict myself overly much.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I went from LC to not counting carbs. That is the main reason I started JUDDD. SO I can eat anything I want. With spring and summer coming I did not want to miss all of my favorite things like watermelon and homemade ice cream. And I know you can make LC ice cream. I have made a lot over the years but it is still not the same as regular old whole milk ice cream made with sugar.

Last edited by adillenal; 03-31-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: typos, typos, typos
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I'm aware of carbs, but I don't stress over them if I "know" I've had more than I normally do.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #12

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I do not count carbs at all. I eat anything and everything, BUT.....

On DDs, the calories eaten are quite low, so that limits carbs automatically. My DDs are mostly made up of platefuls of the lower carb veggies (and some egg whites for protein), so no big carb numbers for me on those days. So that's HALF of my life right there that's pretty low carb just automatically.

And on UDs, meat and veggies form the base of my meal plans anyway, just as they did on low carb to begin with. I do add my *other* food choices into the menus after that meat/veggie base, so add in a serving of rice sometimes, or a potato maybe. Occasionally. Maybe I'll have toast with my breakfast. I'll occasionally have a sweet dessert after supper.

I don't worry about the carbs, and I don't try to limit them. I just don't go hog wild on them, especially the *simple* ones, and my focus is on bringing a huge variety of foods to my diet rather than caring about the carb count of any of those foods.

On the UDs that I actually pay any attention to what the carbs came out to, many of them are coming in at about Dr. Atkins maintenance menu level of 100 grams that he designs for us in his Atkins for Life book, and I've been using a lot of his maintenance menus as suggestions for my own meals lately. And I have a lot of days where I'm about twice what his menus come out at, so up to about 200 carbs on those days. And I haven't noticed one dime's worth of difference. But still, even that is far less than is figured to be the Standard American Diet. And on the rare but occasional day where I do really enjoy a carb fest, I don't give it a care in the world, and neither does JUDDD.

I still measure out and weigh out a lot of my foods and portions, mostly on my DDs now, but some food choices on UDs too, just to keep my eyes and brain remaining true in estimating good and sensible portion sizes.

But I'll never, ever worry about eating very low carb again. My diet now embraces with joy all three of the macro-nutrient groups. And I don't care what the carb count is.

Last edited by SoHappy; 03-31-2012 at 08:03 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I never count carbs on JUDDD, but I tracked them at first out of habit coming from LC. I put "moderate carb" in my stats because I'm not doing LC but I'm not eating the SAD level either (I think it's like 300 carbs per day). Back when I was tracking out of habit when I first started JUDDD, I was probably eating more carbs than I am now, and that was between 50 - 175 g. back then if I remember right.

I do try to limit the amount of refined carbs such as candy, and I pretty much never drink juice but prefer the whole fruit. But I enjoy some good bread almost daily, potatoes, rice weekly (these are part of a meal with meats, veggies, etc.) chocolate and wine pretty much daily, etc.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-31-2012 at 08:42 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(210)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: LC -- again
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013/restart again Oct 2014
I lost 60# about 15 years ago doing LC. Felt great, looked pretty good, too. Then came life situations, and over the years it all came back. I tried LC again last year and was very committed to it, but I started getting all of the "concern" from coworkers about how I should be eating fruit, veggies, etc., etc., and how Atkins was so unhealthy which I don't agree with, and how I should be eating MORE, writing down all that I eat, etc... all of the help that sabotages in the end. I started putting the weight back on, and ended up weighing more than I ever have. I stumbled on JUDDD here on LCF, read through the threads, bought Dr. Johnson's book, and haven't looked back! I don't count carbs -- that's the beauty of this WOE. I can eat 'my normal' way, and I don't get all of the 'help' from friends. I haven't even told my coworkers I'm doing JUDDD. And no one has noticed the 25 pounds I've lost. So, for now JUDDD is working its magic, DH and I are doing good on our WOE, and we're both happy with our results!! I've got quite a way to go to utilize all of the old clothes in my closet, but it won't be by stressing over carbs!!!
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I was on lc since 2003, and obsessively counted all carbs; I ended up averaging about 25/day. I stopped counting carbs when I started JUDDD in Jan. and now obsessively count calories but I tend to stay at around 100 carbs/day. I eat lite bread, the occasional potato/pasta/sweet, but most carbs come from the veggies I so enjoy eating.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
After low carbing for over 8 years, I started out with the intention of keeping it low carb on JUDDD, but found that I really, really wanted to feel free and eat what I want, as long as my weight is good. I not only lost the last few stubborn pounds (and believe me, they were STUCK on there), but went on to lose below goal.

Even eating some sugar and bread on my UDs, I'm maintaining easily. I feel wonderful. Like Pat, my DDs tend naturally to be lower in carbs because of the smaller volume of food. I still really like eating low carb foods and if, for example, I want to bake a dessert, it's SF Cheesecake, SF Carrot Cake, or SF Chocolate Cake. I also bake frequently for my 22 mth old granddaughter who is largely sugar/grain free. She likes Granny's Almond Cookies and Spice Cookies, as well as SF Pumpkin or Carrot Cake mini muffins.

I mostly eat low carb at home, indulging when we go out to eat (which is not often) or go to someone else's house. I love the freedom I feel to eat low carb, or not. I also have some appetite control, especially on my DDs. A lot of it is mental, I think. Knowing that I can be free on my UDs makes it easy to do the DDs properly, and I firmly believe that's the key to my maintenance.

Wow, I didn't mean to start writing a book.....
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one

Last edited by theredhead; 03-31-2012 at 09:35 AM..
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
My spreadsheet tracks them automatically so I post them. However, My carb counts have been as high as 142 and I'm still losing, albeit slowly, but I'm OK with that as long as it keeps going in the right direction.
-3.8 since 3/8
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I don't "count carbs" although I do keep my sugars from all foods below 25g a day unless it is for something really special (not even monthly)
I have found that when I switched to eating only whole and organic and real that my carbs naturally found a level of average 100-150, so my instinctive eating is moderate carb anyway after so many years of lowcarb. If I don't keep the sugars low my insulin system freaks, and I have enough endocrine issues without messing with an already damaged insulin system.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 03-31-2012 at 09:43 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I don't count carbs anymore, just am mindful through my food logging site of what they are. I don't "try" to stay at a certain gram level anymore, but tend to still be moderate carb levels because it's just how I eat. Plus, most of my carbs come from fruits and veggies so if the level is higher (as much as 240g one day) it's not an issue for me.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Thank you all - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't plan to count my carbs, but I don't plan to go hogwild either. I'd like to stick with adding my carbs in the form of fruits, nuts, veggies with the occasional bread. I'm not a sweets eater, so that won't be a problem - had my first baby carrots the other day and thought I was eating M&M's!

The main reason I asked is because my MIL is very interested in my plan and she was asking if she should watch her carbs too. She's never been LC but has seen me lost 75 pounds on the plan. So I will let her read all these replies and make her own choices.

I so much appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my questions these past couple days - this is a great place to hang out!

By the way, today is day 6 on JUDDD and I'm down 2 lbs, which is more than I lost in 12 weeks of doing induction-level carbs in an effort to get the scale moving. I lost the majority of my weight by March '10 on Atkins and then for 1 3/4 years maintained. Decided I wanted to lose more, and, oops! the old body didn't respond. JUDDD has been a great find!
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post
Thank you all - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't plan to count my carbs, but I don't plan to go hogwild either. I'd like to stick with adding my carbs in the form of fruits, nuts, veggies with the occasional bread. I'm not a sweets eater, so that won't be a problem - had my first baby carrots the other day and thought I was eating M&M's!

The main reason I asked is because my MIL is very interested in my plan and she was asking if she should watch her carbs too. She's never been LC but has seen me lost 75 pounds on the plan. So I will let her read all these replies and make her own choices.

I so much appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my questions these past couple days - this is a great place to hang out!

By the way, today is day 6 on JUDDD and I'm down 2 lbs, which is more than I lost in 12 weeks of doing induction-level carbs in an effort to get the scale moving. I lost the majority of my weight by March '10 on Atkins and then for 1 3/4 years maintained. Decided I wanted to lose more, and, oops! the old body didn't respond. JUDDD has been a great find!
Congratulations!
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post
..........today is day 6 on JUDDD and I'm down 2 lbs, which is more than I lost in 12 weeks of doing induction-level carbs in an effort to get the scale moving...........
We see this over and over, and it still seems very strange.

But regardless, I'm very happy that you are losing weight so easily on JUDDD and wish you continued success! I expect you will certainly attain the slim trim figure you are wishing for!

Let us know if your MIL decides to eat her food choices according to the JUDDD cycle as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Hope

As an extreme LCer I'm nervous to start eating carbs now that I'm doing JUDDD. I will be on vacation in May and may give it a try then since it will be hard to access many of my "normal" foods.

You all give me a great deal of hope that I will be able to do it and continue to lose!

I have lost 14lbs since 2/21/12 (199-185). I would like to be at or close to 160 on 7/12/12- my 36th birthday.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
As an extreme LCer I'm nervous to start eating carbs now that I'm doing JUDDD. I will be on vacation in May and may give it a try then since it will be hard to access many of my "normal" foods.

You all give me a great deal of hope that I will be able to do it and continue to lose!

I have lost 14lbs since 2/21/12 (199-185). I would like to be at or close to 160 on 7/12/12- my 36th birthday.
You don't have to start eating carbs at all to do JUDDD. I don't know quite how this idea got started. I guess it is because some choose to increase their carb level..... because they can and still lose the fat, but certainly not everyone choses to do this at all.

So don't feel you need to increase your carbs in order to start following the JUDDD plan. And do be aware that if and when you do decide to increase carbs, you may experience the return of some water weight to your tissues if you don't do this quite gradually. It's not FAT. It's only water weight. But it freaks some people if it happens, so just a warning. I only mention this because you referred to yourself as *an extreme low carber*.

You say that you have lost 14 pounds since Feb 21st on your current low carb plan. Do you know how much of this you might logically expect was just the initial water weight loss? About how much are you losing per week now, at this time? When you go on vacation in May and find it hard to access many of your normal low carb food choices, are you expecting to regain the water weight at that time?

I'm sure you already know this, but just wanting to make sure that you know as you start eating more carbs again, the water weight comes right back. Your body only stays depleted as long as you hold to low carb, and pretty low carb at that.

But I do hope you will join us doing JUDDD. It's an amazing eating plan and meshes quite smoothly with most food plans. I look forward to watching for your future weight loss!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I do not count carbs at all now - but like others, have noticed that they tend to be lower on DD's simply because protein fills me up better.

One of the reasons I love JUDDD so much is the freedom to eat whatever I want as long as I stay in my calorie limits. After so many years on and off low carb, that in and of itself is a HUGE win!!
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I don't "count" them on purpose. I just generally avoid starch, sugar and processed foods like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, most fruit, candy, junk food, and so on. And I mean "generally", as I enjoy a carbage meal 2-3 time a month on up days. Keeps me honest. I have noticed that I can tolerate carbage better on JUDDD than before. But two days in a row, back to sluggish, crapiness as before. You will have to experiment to see what works for you.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I'm aware of carbs, but I don't stress over them if I "know" I've had more than I normally do.
I am the same way here. After counting carbs for so long I am certainly AWARE of how many carbs are in foods, and which are high etc... While I don't "count" them... I stay pretty low-moderate in carbs, with an occasional higher carb treat.
I started out just by eating the foods I normally could on LC only less of them, and more veggies and some fruits (berries). Over the last few weeks I have added a high carb treat- pizza. And ate my first PB egg in about 6 years!!! Smoked whitefish, tuna or salmon on a wasa light cracker is delicious on a DD, and the carbs in those are minimal- can't eat too many because it is a DD anyway. I believe when I looked in to it the average person (not dieting) eats anywhere from 200-400 carbs a day!! I range anywhere from 25-50 on a normal day- and up it to about 100 on a day where I am having a treat. Which happens about once every 2-3 weeks. I still enjoy LC wraps (most are lower in calories too) LC bread and Bagels. LC chocolate with a smear of PB!! My last treat was my favorite Deep Dish Pizza with spinach, mushrooms and alfredo!!
You will figure it out! To each their own! But with JUDDD- if you work it- it works!!